Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Is the dude with a robotic leg a kitbash or is that an actual mini with a robotic leg mate?

It's a conversion/kitbash mate. The bionic leg is from Anvil Industry, which I 'grafted' onto a normal Primaris leg just above the knee.

I like how closely it pays homage to an old marine miniature. I was pleased to see that. Nice work on the Fists. :)

As far as I can tell, 'Imperial Commander' (Marneus' first name) and Space Wolf Commander were both 1988, whilst the Captains were 1991. 

The captains were actually in the Blue Catalogue in 1991, so may have been released in 1990.

Apart from their size, being notably smaller than even normal marine models let alone the primaris range, the captains hold up really well, especially the UM and DA, if a little static.

YITH I attempted to airbrush some marbling effects. It was beyond frustrating; I found I was in the perfect temperature where my white paint became more viscous (it is pretty cold in the UK at the moment; even more so in my garage) so it required extra thinning. The paint was then so thin it ran when it hit the panels I was painting even when I was very sparing with it, leaving me with with a splodgy mess. 

TITHI Finished painting the last of the necrons bases white in preparation for adding the snow flock, only to find out i've got practically none left, and apparently gw no longer make it (grrrr) any similar third party products fellow denizens of the uk have tried out?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          YITHI Tried out the chainmail with mithril edge highlights on the blades of my necrons,Sadly it just doesn't look right back to the drawing board once more it is, going to try the waylander green technical over it first though as doghouse suggested

Edited by treadhead

TITHI Finished painting the last of the necrons bases white in preparation for adding the snow flock, only to find out i've got practically none left, and apparently gw no longer make it (grrrr) any similar third party products fellow denizens of the uk have tried out?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          YITHI Tried out the chainmail with mithril edge highlights on the blades of my necrons,Sadly it just doesn't look right back to the drawing board once more it is, going to try the waylander green technical over it first though as doghouse suggested

I got the Warlord Games Snow and... its just white flock. A but pants I'm afraid. 

YiTH I mapped out my next big build. An Imperial outpost made from the gang stronghold.

Basic floor plan is as follows:

20210126 211527[1]

The internal space is 11"x8" and I'm not sure what to place in it, if anything at all. Friend suggested a comms relay. I have stuff for it, just not sure if I want to. Might build it just for the heck of it.

Yesterday IRL I celebrated two years with my partner. YITH, she gave me a Triumph of St Katherine (and I proceeded to spend much of the day assembling it). I guess my current expansion to my Order of The Iron Veil has gotten a bit bigger. It's definitely the most complex model I've ever worked on. Currently looks like it'll be in 21 subassemblies, that'll get assembled into eight blocks (which I'll photograph so you can see all the later obscured detail) before completing the model.

For those wondering what I got her - those massive Mason Cash mixing bowls you see on Great British Bakeoff.

YiTH - Got both watchtowers and the bare bones of the 8 wall sections built. The tower is taller then the base bastion. Also ordered three bastions for my FLGS as I might as well get that out of the way.

TITH I assembled the hardest and most difficult miniature known to mankind: the Death Jester! Also built four of the terminators from the space marine heroes series 2 set and swapped their left arms for the left arms from the terminator kit that I got really cheap. Just need some deathwatch shoulder pads then they can be primed. 

They are looking very nice!

YITH I did a test scheme for my imperial fists. It was probably one of the worst looking minis I've painted for a long time. Not to be put off TITH i did another scheme. Much happier with this one so far. Still got the shading to do but, in theory, the yellow is done. All done by airbrush so ill hopefully be able to streamline the technique.

med_gallery_141590_15861_32327.jpg

Today in the hobby I picked up a few new paints and some paint medium, as well as some mixing beads for my pots. I was able to salvage a few of my old paints, and I'm hoping with the medium and the the beads I might be able to salvage some more that are right on the edge of just being trashed.

Tomorrow in the hobby (I don't know if I'll be online tomorrow) I will be picking up some brushes and knocking out most of my January vow for the 12 Months of Hobby challenge.

TITH I gave this guy a long awaited coat of paint. By long awaited, I mean the last time I visited a store in person, I bought some Agrax, and told the guy this is what I was going to be working on that afternoon...

Terminator Captain

That was the weekend before Lockdown 1.0 last year :biggrin.: