+++E Tenebrae Lux II - Imperial Guard Strategium+++

After I've completed my vow the only Imperial Guard models I'll have unpainted will be a Valkyrie, several boxes of Guardsmen and HWTs (old 20 man boxes no less) and a few Commissars. Given that the camouflage scheme for my infantry is fairly time consuming I'll have to gauge my time well in order not to bite off more than I can chew.

Apocalypse models are valid for vows too right? If so maybe I'll open that Baneblade box instead...

Oh well, it might have been a bit too optimistic anyway. That and I've got to complete my first vow before talk of a second, fortunately it's a wonderful day today so like any good war gamer I think "perfect weather to hibernate indoors and paint!" :P

Vow that Baneblade! I vowed a Shadowsword as a counts as Executioner w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor and a Baneblade with Commissariat crew as a counts as Demolisher w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor, Pask. Those "Leman Russ" both have so much extra armor that they now has structure points msn-wink.gif. Another person here has added the Heavy Support of a trio of Minotaurs.

Your super heavy contributions to the war effort are needed as we should strive for more super heavies than all other forums combined! This forum shall have 100% vow completions and the most vowed super heavies!

Hmm... I seem to have made a slight error in my vow... Minotaurs are super-heavies... and therefore are Apocalypse only.

Thing is; should I adjust my vow, or continue as-is? (still need to get them done anyways whistlingW.gif)

Well, it's as much my mistake, for not pointing it out early, as yours... biggrin.png

I think we should go down the count-as path. This is a quote from the rules:

“Count-as” entries are allowed and could be the ticket many of you need in order to paint stuff not included in your selected army list. When making a “count-as” entry, the point cost of the unit will be taken from the Codex’ army list while the model itself could be something different. However please note that this is not a window for gaining easy points… It could be OK to paint a BA Librarian Dreadnought that counts-as a DA venerable dreadnought for example (as the models require roughly the same effort and they are both dreadnoughts after all) but you will not be allowed to paint a standard Marine that counts-as a Contemptor! In fact participants must be prepared to end up worse-off in the value-to-effort ratio but never the other way around – not in a significant manner anyway... A good example is last year’s “Most Impressive Miniature” award winner who entered a Grand Brass Scorpion (550pts) that “counted-as” a humble Defiler (150pts)… So keep that in mind and check with me before you commit, so there will be no disappointment.

So be prepared to shed some points... biggrin.png

Here's what I propose:

1. The visual effect: Basilisk with extra armour and enclosed crew compartment (I know the Minotaur is open topped but it's also super heavy - so 'm fine with it) @ 155 pts each. Advantages: visually similar. Disadvantages: lose some 360 pts for the total of three.

2. The middle ground: Manticore with extra armour @ 175 pts each. Advantages: lose "only" 300 pts for the total three of them. Disadvantages: visually not similar but still a self propelled platform...

3. The cost efficient: Leman Russ executioner with extra armour @ 205 pts each. Advantages: the most expensive tank in the IG list means you lose only 210 pts for all three. Disadvantages: Well, it's a tank - not a self-propelled gun so visually very different. But it's a count-as and it's not like you'll not do the work...

If you want to pick any of the three I'm fine with it. Really. If you want to propose any other combo go right ahead and bring it forward. Two things are certain though: 1. You'll be painting those yummy Minotaurs come what may and 2. You will be letting some points go.

Let me know either way! smile.png

Edit: stupid spelling mistakes....

Well, it's as much as my mistake, for not pointing it out early, as yours... biggrin.png

I think we should go down the count-as path. This is a quote from the rules:

“Count-as” entries are allowed and could be the ticket many of you need in order to paint stuff not included in your selected army list. When making a “count-as” entry, the point cost of the unit will be taken from the Codex’ army list while the model itself could be something different. However please note that this is not a window for gaining easy points… It could be OK to paint a BA Librarian Dreadnought that counts-as a DA venerable dreadnought for example (as the models require roughly the same effort and they are both dreadnoughts after all) but you will not be allowed to paint a standard Marine that counts-as a Contemptor! In fact participants must be prepared to end up worse-off in the value-to-effort ratio but never the other way around – not in a significant manner anyway... A god example is last year’s “Most Impressive Miniature” award winner who entered a Grand Brass Scorpion (550pts) that “counted-as” a humble Defiler (150pts)… So keep that in mind and check with me before you commit, so there will be no disappointment.

So be prepared to shed some points... biggrin.png

Here's what I propose:

1. The visual effect: Basilisk with extra armour and enclosed crew compartment (I know the Minotaur is open topped but it's also super heavy - so 'm fine with it) @ 155 pts each. Advantages: visually similar. Disadvantages: lose some 360 pts for the total of three.

2. The middle ground: Manticore with extra armour @ 175 pts each. Advantages: lose "only" 300 pts for the total three of them. Disadvantages: visually not similar but still a self propelled platform...

3. The cost efficient: Leman Russ executioner with extra armour @ 205 pts each. Advantages: the most expensive tank in the IG list means you lose only 210 pts for all three. Disadvantages: Well, it's a tank - not a self-propelled gun so visually very different. But it's a count-as and it's not like you'll not do the work...

If you want to pick any of the three I'm fine with it. Really. If you want to propose any other combo go right ahead and bring it forward. Two things are certain though: 1. You'll be painting those yummy Minotaurs come what may and 2. You will be letting some points go.

Let me know either way! smile.png

Well, even though it's a points loss, I'm all for option #1. Thank you for the help!

Vow that Baneblade! I vowed a Shadowsword as a counts as Executioner w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor and a Baneblade with Commissariat crew as a counts as Demolisher w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor, Pask. Those "Leman Russ" both have so much extra armor that they now has structure points msn-wink.gif. Another person here has added the Heavy Support of a trio of Minotaurs.

Your super heavy contributions to the war effort are needed as we should strive for more super heavies than all other forums combined! This forum shall have 100% vow completions and the most vowed super heavies!

Well if you put it that way... I'm working on my vow today and with a bit of luck I might even be able to finish all the tanks next week. Then I'll only have the Vendetta to finish before it's ETL Vow II: Baneblade Boogaloo!

Though it would be remiss of me not to point out the number of super heavies per forum might be a bit of a loaded competition... What would be the best "counts as" option for it?

Well, the most appropriate would be a Leman Russ tooled up I guess...

So, a Demolisher w/ lascannon, h.bolter sponsons, pintle mounted h.stubber, dozer blade and extra armour would be what? 235pts? So we are looking at a penalty of 265 pts... Frankly if you want to count it as a more expensive Leman Russ variant, I'll be fine with it  (the Executioner will get you to 260pts with the above conficuration).

So yeah, there is room to play around with the points - just let me know before you enter it! ;)

Thanks Captain, I'll let you know what I'm doing once I've completed my first vow and assessed how much time I can grab before the deadline :)

I made good progress on the tanks yesterday, I'm optimistic about completing them this week. As much as I love tanks (and I do, I really do) five at once is quite a large bite so I'm looking forward to being able to concentrate on just the Vendetta next :)

A small problem has persisted, namely the weather. It has been too hot, windy, humid, or some combination thereof so basing the rest of the vow and using the airbrush are on hold until nature clams down and lets me break out the aerosol and compressor. Until then no more of my vow can be completed. So I pseudo-vow this out of boredom:

http://s13.postimg.org/mne7gx9lz/Deathwing_WIP.jpg

One set of Dark Vengeance Deathwing; a five strong Deathwing Squad with an assault cannon and chainfist worth a grand point total of bupkis. Still, having them painted will be nice and is worth being able to add another painted unit to my Dark Angels army. Considering all the unpainted stuff I have I think I would be remiss not to paint them and since there is a painting challenge, I might as well throw them out here for giggles, unless you want to allow me to counts as these Terminators as something like Stormtroopers with a power sword and plasma gun or some such silliness teehee.gif (I could picture the Simpsons' Comic Book Guy saying, "Worst. Terminators. Ever"). In all seriousness I expect this to count for nothing more than keeping my paint brushes busy while I wait; no points, no real vow, nothing, just fun. I hope that by the time these are completed the weather will be more conducive to spraying minis. Also, ignore the backpack and arm belonging to one of the Ravenwing bikers as well as any other Ravenwing bits that got dragged into that pile that might still be there, I know I will.

We need to get a wriggle on, we're getting left behind with no completions yet! I've been struggling to find the time :( I've got this weekend free though so I should be able finish the tanks which will free me up to work on the Vendetta on my couple of days off next week :)

We need to get a wriggle on, we're getting left behind with no completions yet! I've been struggling to find the time sad.png I've got this weekend free though so I should be able finish the tanks which will free me up to work on the Vendetta on my couple of days off next week smile.png

i hear you there warriorfish. i have a feeling we're going for true guard style- slow to mobilise but once we get going it'll open the floodgates. luckily i am mostly on evenings for the foreseeable future so hopefully (if) i wake up early enough i can crack on. i've started on the veterans, which i think will probably take the longest as they have the most flesh, but its only detailing and washes left to do on them now (and then i can post a pic up when i get my new camera). i think as a sub-forum, our goal of 100% completion is achievable, we just need to hold our nerve. for the dark gods/emperor.

Exactly. As it happens you guys have highest pts/vow ratio both as in Vive and even more so as IG sub-forum (1.4k). So although it'll take longer to report, once you start completing your first vows you'll make quite an impact. I have petience - but remember: By next Wednesday we'll be half way through the ETL - and youmust start thinking of your follow up vows - if any... ;)

Set your alarm comrade, don't waste the day! Thanks to work I count waking up at 8 as a big lay in so I get to make the most of the day :) I've got to make it to the weekend first though :lol:

I'm really keen to get a second vow done as well but my free time has been inconsistent so I'm leery of falling foul of the "uncompleted vow and you're out" rule.

hmm... still working on my vow, but I definitely have an earlier deadline than the ETL II allows. Gotta have those minotaurs (I mean basilisk 'counts as') and hellhounds done before the end of July. Looking forward to seeing all of our completed vows!

I've been lagging behind, though all the models are base coated. Right now I'm working on figuring out how to visualize a camo scheme on the armored company ( which is a total pain ).

I should have some photos coming up in the following week in my WIP thread.

I have a few vehicles in mind for the second vow. If I had thought about it from the start they would have been in the first vow. 

But progress is on track and should leave me with some time for another vow. WLK pulled in just at or just under 4K I think I can get close to that. Want to one up him a little if I can. 

Archived