Raztalin's PLOG (pic heavy)

Raztalin

Just a small update - as i should really be focusing my time on painting!!! :wink:

I got a couple of the Deathwatch DA mini's, and the first one became a very simple conversion, and the basis of a Command Squad:

Pic link died

The second was a rehashing of a conversion I did for a Grotsmasha challenge a while back now, its still rough so please forgive.  Company Master with FoeSmiter and a Relic Blade:

Pic link died

I then went craaaaazy ... lol, and decided to cut up some very nice models...Cpt. Solaq, the new DA Int Chaplain, and a few bits from the Seraphicus model and the DA upgrade sprue for the head (I have since replaced with Balthasar's head).  Another rough one but let me know what you think:

Pic link died

Now I just need to refocus on the paint now!!  ETL beckons!!!

Edited by Raztalin

YES!!!! Great looking bashes, but I'm really loving what you've done with that last guy. The pics are quite small on my phone, but from what I can see he looks epic! Personally I find it very rewarding to step out of the box, and hack apart a model to create something totally different. Well done!

• 1 month later...

Proof that I'm still working on my Second vow:

Pic link died

Really want to get these boys done this weekend, and then ... I know I said the Razorbacks as mu final vow ... BUT I'd really like to paint up the chaps you see (just) at the bottom of the pic above.  My only concern is timings and I don't want to run the risk of voiding the previous efforts.

I'll update with better pics later in the week.

Edited by Raztalin

OK - so I haven't taken any more pics of the vowed Tact Squad just yet - but rest assured they are almost done now.  Just highlights to do, and then I will post updated pics!!!

At the same time I've almost finished off the all Grav Command Squad.  But I have a quandary - The banner bearer can, of course, carry a Grav gun too, but how to model it ... ?  I really like the idea of him standing there pointing (see pic below) so figured the easiest way would be to sling it under an arm on his back under the backpack.  My issue is it just doesn't sit well ...  Bolters being slimmer in profile can fit (i use the term loosely) under the backpack and we can assume its mag locked there.  But the Grav gun's shape doesn't allow itself to sit that well.  Now the other issue is (and it's a minor one really) that the Grav guns come moulded with hands, and only right hands (or so I've found).  So, I either need to replace the hand for a left handed one, if i replace the pointing hand, or I need to add a grip and then a strap to allow the gun to hang from a shoulder.  Again small modeling tasks of the not too complicated nature.  

Pic link died

Any suggestions?  Do i just do it with a strap and add a grip to the gun?  Is there a better way?  A servo skull holding it for example?  Interested

Edited by Raztalin

Ok Ill make a go at this one. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of marines pointing, so I would have him firing his bolter. I'm at work so I can't check, but I believe the devastator and sternguard sets come with a clenched left fist. Not 100% sure though

I've also never been a fan of slings for bolters for numerous reasons. If you choose to stick with the pointing pose (he looks great by the way!), all of my guys that have the bolter stashed away have it mag locked to the lower part of the backpack. I think there might be a pic of the Sgt in my thread with that. A servo skull would be a fun conversion though, or watcher in the dark for a bit of mystery...

I hope that helps! Models are looking great as always

A strap seems most logical, although you could also convert the Watcher that comes in the DWC kit to carry it for him.

From a modelling and "Rule of Cool" position, you could put him and the Watcher on one 40mm base, which would also keep the big banner from tipping him over. You would gain a 4mm radius benefit from any flag-waving rules though, so that could be something to keep in mind if the people you game with are easily bothered by that sort of thing.

If you want him firing it instead, you will need a left-handed pistol to cut the hand from. The Assault kit has a fair few left-handed pistols, so they are easy enough to get. You will then need to cut both hands off the pistol and grav, and glue the left hand and grav back to the left forearm.

As for the DW: Overkill champion... I had the same plan for the same model! ;)

Thanks for the replies Greenz and Major.

I will have a go at the weekend (time permitting) and see what I can come up with.  (must finish my vow first!!!)

Using the Watcher and a 40mm base to hold them both intersts me the most, and as I rarely play, and the opponents i will play against are very flexible in rule application it wont have a negative impact. 

End of the day, cutting the existing right hand off and either adding a grip, or a right hand is no big issue.

@Major - that model was just screaming Company Champ to me lol

Great looking unit there mate, and I would go Watcher all the way :D

If you do decide to go with the strap you could try using the hanging one from the Slannesh icon in the CSM box. It is studded for added detail and I've used it several times to add slings to guns but never over the shoulder so I would use blutac first :tu:

Nemac

Well, I suggested a Watcher as back in 2E, the Dark Angels' Chapter Ancient was Brother Bethor.

Back then, Chapter Ancient was the title give to the Honour Guard member who had the honour and responsibility of carrying the Chapter Banner.

Given that the Dark Angels have a Chapter Banner and three Sacred Standards, it seems reasonable that the Chapter Ancient would be not only be a member of the Deathwing, but could well be accompanied by a Watcher too. :)

The watcher bearing the grav gun sounds like a cool idea.  It sounds very Dark Angely.  I used plasma pistol arm and lopped off the plasma pistol to mount a combi plasma but that was when we had the old Dakka Banner.  I am looking forward to your grav watcher turns out!

Cheers Epher, I actually have an abundance of already butchered arms from the ASM kit, as I stole the Plasma pistols to create a Plasma Talon Array on a Fire Raptor variant.

Nemac is sending me a mould to use for the watcher which will be easier to work on than a plastic one (although the Lion only knows what I'm going to use the excess of Watchers i now have in my bitz box lol)

Update time:  I was going to post yesterday but work was just manic, so here is where I was prior to last night:

Pic link died

And a close up

Pic link died

Then last night I got on with a few details:

Pic link died

So now just bases to do by the end of the week to complete vow 2!  (God I'm such a slow painter lol)

As always, C&C welcome

Peace out

Edited by Raztalin

Cheers Major. I needed to use a different colour to the red, just to give some variation!!!

@Nemac - I think the Squad numbers in either Roman numerals or in an old fashioned numbering would be best.  Like we discussed though, I'll do it after the ETL now, just need to get these based and done so I don't cost the Lion anything!!!

I'm hoping that even though the bases are empty that these still get counted as my completed vow.  I simply do not have enough time before the deadline to get those done.

Lighting wasn't great as I took these late last night, with no natural light around. 

Pic link died

Few individual shots too:

Sgt.

Pic link died

Special.

Pic link died

Bolter Marines.

Pic link died

I will now finish the bases off and then go back and add extra detail to all 10 of the finished marines at a more leisurely pace. 

I'm glad I entered the ETL, as it really did help to motivate me to beat (meet) that deadline. I find it far too easy to procrastinate or just build more mini's.  And my sea of unpainted Mini's must come to an end!!!

Onwards and upwards - for the Lion!!

Edited by Raztalin

I think the brush-crest on your Serg could do with another layer or two of the ivory - I know it's a ceremonial/decorative thing likely to get grungy on the battlefield, but at the same time it is ceremonial/decorative and should look a bit spangly!

I also see the grand tradition of "Heroic Foot On Rock" is being upheld! ;)

Hey Major, You're spot on, that was 'coloured in' as far as, its coloured, just to not leave anything unpainted for ETL.  There are lots of details I will now go back and do / touch up etc. But no deadline looming now! 

The lens on the Plasma gunner too, is literally just painted yellow atm, not even washed or glazed, I did it minutes before taking that pic as I wasn't sure if I would have time this evening to add more detail or do the bases, but then read the ETL ends at 6pm as opposed to midnight, so posted the pics.

You know, I've been tossing back and forth for months now about getting the BaC set to integrate those sweet MkIV suits into my company. Seeing awesome kitbash and paint jobs like yours makes my decision so much harder. Great work, and great job getting a completion for the ETL!

I also see the grand tradition of "Heroic Foot On Rock" is being upheld! ;)

I had a chuckle when I saw that. I know I've got one