Raztalin's PLOG (pic heavy)

Raztalin

Fantastic conversion work! I like that the assault squad had Beaky helms with wings on most of them - very angelic. :)

I confess that I'm not fully sold on the Blood Angel jumping legs though (they look very BA), but the other stuff is very very good indeed. Well done sir, well done. B)

Thanks GRC - the reason behind that was more an anti-charge deterrent ... hopefully, they will only get charged the once, and he'll do enough to thin their numbers!

@Major - I was running out of Assaulty / Jump legs, and they were the least "offensive" of the BA ones.  I've since bought a Death Co. box set and they have some different ones there that could have been better but by that stage, they were glued.  I'll just have to try and make sure the painting makes sure they stay DA-esc!

Thanks GRC - the reason behind that was more an anti-charge deterrent ... hopefully, they will only get charged the once, and he'll do enough to thin their numbers!

Oh well. 12 HB-shots (let's hope it would still be that many) and a flamer with our improved overwatch could indeed prove to be quite the deterrent. I wouldn't risk charging that!

Edited by GreyRavenC

Hadn't really thought about it like that ... as I don't play very often at all (maybe one small game a year) I wasn't 100% sure on the rules.  Whilst building them I was under the assumption that if they had shot in the shooting phase that they couldn't fire overwatch when charged - but now I think about it, they would only be getting charged in the opponents turn ... silly me! oh well!  :sleep.:

I've since bought a Death Co. box set

Good call - the arms have decorative ropes and such around the wrists too, which I have found great for using on Company Veterans. The double-handed TH arms in that set are also begging to be made into a Chaplain wielding his Crozius two-handed. ;)

Hadn't really thought about it like that ... as I don't play very often at all (maybe one small game a year) I wasn't 100% sure on the rules.  Whilst building them I was under the assumption that if they had shot in the shooting phase that they couldn't fire overwatch when charged - but now I think about it, they would only be getting charged in the opponents turn ... silly me! oh well!  :sleep.:

It's a sound tactic you have. Your sarge won't be shooting anyway in favour of his buffs, so that precious shot is saved easily. The flamer is a nice measure for the sneaky hobbitsessssss that manage to sneak up on your guys.

Aaaaaaw man, I'm loving this! Nice models, you're really nailing these guys. The assault marines are so dynamic, and that chaplain looks ready to start splitting skulls. Great angle shots on those devs... Very manly poses ;)

What torso and cod piece is that you've used for the dev sergeant?

Cheers Greenz.  The base model is Ennox Sorrlock from the Deathwatch Overkill box.  He had the number 1 on his knee, which for me just screams 1st Legion. :wink:  I replaced the Combi Melta for a combi Flamer, his Deathwatch arm for the Devastator Sgt. bionic arm and the backpack from the Dev kit.  All his limbs on the left hand side of his body are now bionic - probably tried to play "keepy uppies" with a grenade or some sort!  :laugh.:

All his limbs on the left hand side of his body are now bionic - probably tried to play "keepy uppies" with a grenade or some sort!  :laugh.:

There is a reason he uses a Combi-flamer now. He used a combi-plasma once, but he should have listened to Chaplain Snoop Dogg. Drop it like it's hot, drop it likes it's hot...

All his limbs on the left hand side of his body are now bionic - probably tried to play "keepy uppies" with a grenade or some sort!  :lol:

There is a reason he uses a Combi-flamer now. He used a combi-plasma once, but he should have listened to Chaplain Snoop Dogg. Drop it like it's hot, drop it likes it's hot...

Haha, just given up trying to explain to the misses why I almost choked on my drink just then!

I've since bought a Death Co. box set

Good call - the arms have decorative ropes and such around the wrists too, which I have found great for using on Company Veterans. The double-handed TH arms in that set are also begging to be made into a Chaplain wielding his Crozius two-handed. ;)

There's a lot of little gems in there. With very little mods most of it can be repurposed for our Angels of Death!

As a quick further suggestion...

The Death Company come with a number of engraved "X" shapes that need to be disguised, and I found standard Milliput by far the easiest way to fill them in. Because it behaves just like traditional clay before it cures, its easy to get a really thin smooth finish without needing to do much afterwards, and you can even rinse the parts in warm water to get any excess off. GS and liquid GS are nowhere near as good.

@Lostrael - thanks :biggrin.:

@Major - thanks for the tip on the Milliput, I'll get some in.

Just another quick WIP pic - I started this a while back, you know, back when we could play a DeathWing only Army ... So he would have been another adaptation of Belial or Generic Co. Master in TDA. Both arms and magnetised, and so are the wrists.  I lost focus on him when I started to build the Lion's Blade.  But thought it time I at least gave him some screen time.

Let me know what you think:

Pic link died

Cheers as always.

Edited by Raztalin

• 7 months later...

Wowzers - doesn't time fly!?!?

So with the arrival of our first child, I've actually had some time at night to apply some paint to models!!!  -I know, shock horror :wink:

It's not a lot but its something, and by using a wet pallet, i can easily just drop brush, attend to screaming daughter - change nappy / apply hugs etc. then pick up brush and continue! 

So without further ado, here is my progress on the Company Master:

Pic link died

I've also made a start on the next tact Squad:

Pic link died

And for my birthday I got a little treat (such a good sculpt!):

Pic link died

Lots of work still to do on all of these, but no doubt i'll have plenty of sleepless nights ahead!!

Looking forward to 8th dropping too, and will be getting a set of the Primaris marines to supplement the ranks!

Peace out peeps, and hopefully the next update won't be too far away!!

Edited by Raztalin

First off, congrats on your daughter! Oh the first child, I wish I could tell you it gets easier, but it doesn't ;)

Second, glad to see you're still churning out models. Solid paint jobs brother, hopefully you can keep that momentum going! The wet pallet is such a wonderful invention!

Looking great mate :smile.:. I'm still most excited about your Company Master, It's just such a cool model. I will have to kill him :wink:

Nemac

Cheers bud.  Depending on what time "little one" decides to go to bed this eve I'm hoping to get the highlights done on him and Cypher.  

I tried to do a hazard stripe effect on the Sgt.'s chainsword too, but failed with the masking spacing, so have painted over that - more patience will be required to nail that me thinks!

Looking forward to adding some Primaris to the ranks too - they look like really nice models to paint!