Raztalin's PLOG (pic heavy)

Raztalin

I tried to do a hazard stripe effect on the Sgt.'s chainsword too, but failed with the masking spacing, so have painted over that - more patience will be required to nail that me thinks!

I have found that what helps me fake this the most effectively (ie "Hey, the lines are mostly straight and the same width, don't look too close") is to run a line perpendicularly up from the front end of your chosen chain tooth and make a small mark with a pencil. Then come back down to the chain teeth and decide what angle you want, then mark the front of a chain tooth at the bottom of the weapon body. This should allow you to draw a pretty straight line.

Then you can decide just how thick a stripe you want (I've never done one thicker than 1.5 chain tooth widths - but I've never done a whole blade in hazard striping, so you may want to consider 2, 2.5 or 3 tooth widths to cover more space), and move over your chosen chain tooth width and do the same.

This won't necessarily give you the best results at the front or very back of the Chainsword where you don't have teeth or a square edge readily available, but if you can fake it, hopefully it will look good.

The masking tape will hopefully help you get straighter lines, and depending on how thick it is, you might be able to just use the chain tooth thing to get the angle right - and if it isn't thick enough to run two next to each other, to get the width you want, overlap the lines, and conversely if it isn't thick enough, hopefully you can space it out enough to get some good looking stripes.

Look forward to seeing you try again!

Edit: BTW, wanted to tell you, your Company Master gave me some inspiration for my own Lord Grand Master figure, so good show on that!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Thanks for the advice Bryan, I was using the 6mm Tamiya masking tape, cut in half, j should have counted teeth in hindsight to allocated spacing instead of going it by eye!!! I'll try it again, I have whole bunch of chainsword wielding assault marines to paint up and would like to do that effect on each of them.

Glad I can provide some inspiration, I will post an updated pic of the company master shortly, just need lunch break to start and I'll get a pic taken!

So like many of you no doubt, I got my hands on some new "shiney's" @ the weekend.  

The new Primaris are (certainly at first glance) lovely mini's and at a scale I personally really like.  Just that little bit bigger is going to make painting details etc. that much easier.  Plus they feel like a more realistic scale in comparison to other factions models in the universe.  

So me being me - I was intrigued to see how the kits lent themselves to my Bitz Box  :happy.:

Pic link died

I can safely say that the existing Backpacks (whilst being slightly smaller than the new ones) fit fine.  Likewise the arms from existing PA marines look to fit too.  i left the existing Head there, just turned it to look the other way.  I also tried a standard PA Chainsword arm with a Shoulder pad from the DA upgrade sprue and they also look to be the right size.  I think, going by eye, that the forearms are about 1mm longer on the newer sculpts, but i really don't see that being an issue.

I will hopefully have some more time this week to experiment further and will update accordingly. 

I can't wait to see what the community does with these models - knowing the creativity on these boards the wait for the multi-part kits wont be too painful at all :wink:

Edited by Raztalin