Gosh that glaive stand in is pretty big.

After you called him 'the Juggernaught' I instantly hought of this for some reason..

http://www.geocities.ws/motu_project/ram_man_800x600.jpg

His weapon is an axe :)

Those chain axes look really mean, I wonder what a double headed chain axe would look lke?

Alright, blunt force trauma weapons try outs!

Flanged mace?

http://i.imgur.com/aDJW3Ar.png

Maul?

http://i.imgur.com/6CVPOMR.png

40k ridiculousness?

http://i.imgur.com/DHmckRE.png

Or maybe something custom and even bigger?

I was already leaning toward the mace and the above opinions certainly helped assure me it was the right choice.

I had to make a few changes because 1) It's left-handed as it comes, 2) It was warped and had some really terrible mold lines, and 3) I wanted the haft to be longer.

http://i.imgur.com/1iFLThu.png

I'm gonna do a little more detail work on it, but next I'm going to see about making him a new shield. Something bigger, like a large kite shield or maybe a tower shield. :D

It was actually something I had left over from a failed experiment a few weeks ago and just happened to notice it while I was cutting the head off the original mace and thought it would look neat. Basically, I just put a roll of GS down one side of the rod and rolled it on a low tack surface until the GS completely wrapped around it and evened out.

The mace does look good!

And very different to what you would normally expect to see from a Night Lord (Chain Glaive)

Without putting a spanner in the works, what about a weapon like the Corvus Hammer? (basically a mace or a hammer with a wicked curved spike on one side, the spike is for piersing armour, whereas he flat surface is used for bludgeoning)

Of the options, the mace is the best. If I go with kite or round shields on my breachers, I might have a few spare sields if you are a bit stuck.

The mace does look good!

And very different to what you would normally expect to see from a Night Lord (Chain Glaive)

Whoa, whoa... these aren't Night Lords, brother. These are loyal, Terran, uncorrupted sons of the Emperor. :wink:

Damn, that's a fellow who means business.

Oh yes, he's all business.

I tried a few things today with a bigger shield, and like how a lot of these things go, I took several attempts before I landed on something I liked. The first couple of ideas were a tower shield - essentially a big rectangle - but a big rectangle was pretty boring, even if did detailing on it. Rounding off the corners didn't help make it any more interesting, even if it did resemble a Roman scutum a bit more.

What was the winner? A bigger version of a breacher shield.

http://i.imgur.com/bEpJkAU.png

It ties the shield to one already familiar in the setting, the shape has more visual interest than a big rectangle, and it started writing background for me on this character; he used to be a breacher, and when he got promoted into TDA, he had a bigger one made for him. :biggrin.:  Since there are no Storm Shields in 30k (yet), I wanted this to be more substantial both physically and rules-wise than a combat shield, so it's going to count as an Iron Halo.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

D'oh... I reognise my failings and will be sure to correct them :pinch:

This cold and the chain-glaive... never type when hopped up on medicine!! I will read more closely in the future.

The mace will definitely help to set him apart from his 8th Legion cousins...

I believe Salamanders and maybe IF's are getting access to Storm Shields, so fingers crossed for the future.

That shield looks amazing. I am intrigued to see how you will be detailing it, whether you will add the eagle to it like the smaller breacher shields or do something different.

How did you curve the plasicard? with a heat source?

Only in the fluff for these guys does the Night Lords thing upset anyone, and you probably didn't know about their background anyway. No worries!

As for the shield, I had a hell of a time getting it curved. I let it set in really hot water for several minutes and that didn't do anything. Next, I tried heating it up with a hair dryer, and it evidently didn't get hot enough even on the high setting to soften the plastic, and nothing. What I ended up doing was taking one of my tools with a metal handle and carefully bending it around the handle - start on one side of the shield, bend a little, shift the shield a millimeter or two, bend again, repeat. I had to do that 3-4 times to get the amount of curve I was looking for, but also being cautious so as not to bend it too much and put a big crease in it. A little time consuming, but worth not destroying the shield.

I vowed the above Praetor and 9 Cataphractii and I made a little progress last night and this afternoon. The little setup I have to take pictures of my models will only accommodate 2-3 at most so I had to resort to using a box for a background.

http://i.imgur.com/9HF6OuB.png

'But BCK, you only glued the torsos to the legs,' you might be thinking but the one little peeve I have about the glorious Cataphractii models (including the Grave Warden variants) is that if you build them as they come, the lower part of the torso collides with the upper part of the hip armor on the legs, so I had to increase the waist height of each and every one of them.

Looking forward to seeing these dudes painted up :tu:

I've extended the waists on my Tartaros terminators as well. They just seem way too squat in their stock form.

:O!

More than one Mini Painted in a 2/3 Month Span of time!?!?!?!?

I kid, I kid :P

But, really, if your stuff is anything to go by, you'll do them proper justice!

I've extended the waists on my Tartaros terminators as well. They just seem way too squat in their stock form.

Yeah, that too. Even if I hadn't needed to stretch the waist area for practical purposes, I have no doubt I would have done it to ease up on the squat look of them.

More than one Mini Painted in a 2/3 Month Span of time!?!?!?!?

Hey! I did 3 Legions consecutively on the March of Legions, I'll have you know! I'm getting behind working on other projects, but still!

Bck come on brother you can do it!!!! We believe in you

:thumbsup:

I dunno, I always pictured a chain-glaive to be mounted in a similar fashion to a traditional glaive, blade base mounted against the top of the haft, or very slightly offset, "point" away from the haft. The current positioning looks more like a chain-halberd to me. No matter what though, he's definitely something I wouldn't want to meet... Well, anywhere really. :)