XIV Dragoon, VII Grand Company, IV Legion (13Jun2015)

Hyaenidae

@ Heathens - Its disappointing to see you leave the 40K behind. However, I'm psyched to see your continuing with your modelling and gaming in the far cooler setting of 30K. 

@ Jaspcat - Forge World's Model Masterclass Volume One has a feature on building terrain board with trenches. Of course I imagine the historial wargamers have heaps of tutorials in their gaming magazines (I know Brother Chaplain Kage is a champion for their Tank Kits - he may know of a good historical magazine with decent tutorials for terrain).

Martin Gilbert's The First World War, and Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front, John Reegan's The First World War, John S. D. Eisenhower's Yanks, and Sir Alistair Horne's The Price of Glory.

I need no other guide than those who already pointed the way. God keep them all.

Of course I imagine the historical wargamers have heaps of tutorials in their gaming magazines (I know Brother Chaplain Kage is a champion for their Tank Kits - he may know of a good historical magazine with decent tutorials for terrain).

There's really not much that I've seen in the "real" modeling magazines about terrain tutorials. Occasionally I'll see something about building brick walls or the like, but I can't recall anything about doing realistic trenches.

Doing trenches and fortresses is fine and all, but like Heathens already posted, heavy fighting and artillery bombardements destroys even the best defenses...and I believe the IW would make this proccess happen faster than most...

A lovely "before/after" picture of fort Douaumont from the battle of Verdun.

http://detectingblackpool.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/battle_of_verdun-after.jpg?w=604&h=746

Notice how all the trenches and defenses are basically just rubble and pools of mud.

Also, when the lines change back and forth (or back, for defenders against the IV legion, hehe) there is no real time to make properly designed trenches.

These were the trenches at some part in the battle of Verdun:

http://detectingblackpool.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/french-verdun-1916.jpg

More a ditch than a trench really, but it's the best they have been able to do in the short time they have had.

WW1 is...interesting...in many ways, if you can ever say a war is interesting. Quite a while ago I wrote an essay about the advancement of weapons technology during the war, and it was just sick! This is still one of the most (if not the most) horrifying wars ever...

Weapons technology quickly outstripped battlefield tactics and most commanders had no idea how to adapt and stuck to their old school ways, causing many, many more deaths than if they had dared to change.

One interesting example of how fast things changed was the coining of the term "battleship" in 1892 for metal ships with turrets and no sails; these masters of the sea reached their zenith in WWI, sparking an arms race between Germany and Britain, and would fade into obsolescence just 20 years later in WWII with the advent of the aircraft carrier.

Indeed they did. And they even all had military attachés at the russo-japanese war of 1904-1905, where many new war features such as barbed wire were being used extensively. They should have known what to expect offensively, not only defensevly...such a shame...soooo many lives lost...

Well, yeah, pre-dreadnought battleships. With the building of HMS Dreadnaught in 1906, all previous models were made obselete overnight.

As fascinating as it is to discuss WW1, I don't think this is the topic for it though. More pics, heathens! :)

The discussion on building a trench board to the (off topic) conversation on WW1 just adds to the awesomeness of this thread. Cant wait to see more Iron Warriors.

Hope your back mends soon too mate, I did my back in when I was 18, during second phase training to be a sapper in the Royal Engineers. To this day I get a lot of pain and I never achieved my dream of serving in the army. Still I met my now wife at my welcome home party so not all bad.

My trench system I'm planning will be a massive line of trenches, with a vicious no-man's land between, choked with corpses and barbed wire.

I will mod one end so that it can be removed and replaced with a half broken fortification closely resembling Fort Douaumont towards the end of '16.

http://www.oocities.org/pentagon/base/3495/ww1pix/dou02a.jpg

No Mans land, in Flanders, where the red poppies now grow.

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uploads/2009/08/3a50202u.jpg

Very inspiring table....

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/224/9/d/Trench_Warfare_Table_by_un_forged.jpg

I want to help!

WW1 is...interesting...in many ways, if you can ever say a war is interesting. Quite a while ago I wrote an essay about the advancement of weapons technology during the war, and it was just sick! This is still one of the most (if not the most) horrifying wars ever...

All war is interesting, if your a student of war. the Horrors of the great war were far worse than I think any of us could guess!

Doing trenches and fortresses is fine and all, but like Heathens already posted, heavy fighting and artillery bombardements destroys even the best defenses...and I believe the IW would make this proccess happen faster than most...

A lovely "before/after" picture of fort Douaumont from the battle of Verdun.

http://detectingblackpool.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/battle_of_verdun-after.jpg?w=604&h=746

Notice how all the trenches and defenses are basically just rubble and pools of mud.

Also, when the lines change back and forth (or back, for defenders against the IV legion, hehe) there is no real time to make properly designed trenches.

These were the trenches at some part in the battle of Verdun:

http://detectingblackpool.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/french-verdun-1916.jpg

More a ditch than a trench really, but it's the best they have been able to do in the short time they have had.

Hey!!!

What are the death korp of krieg doing in that photo?!?! tongue.png

For some wierd twisted reason, the warrior in me finds those trenches oddly beautiful.

I am wierd like that, I would have loved to fight in that, except for the gas and the rats. or the rats gas for that matter.

Ohh and those layouts would be making Longstreet grin in his grave. You see heathens I'm not just a naive dubstep listener!!! :D

All war is interesting, if your a student of war. the Horrors of the great war were far worse than I think any of us could guess!

Just imagine craters from artillery shells, filling up with water from the rain. The water mixing with human remains, making a darkish sticky goo at the bottom of each hole, that you couldn't see because the water was coloured with mud. Also, they could be very very deep...lots of soldiers drowned in such craters...

I think that's why we still refer to it as the Great War.

Indeed, the Great War was the biggest war so far in history, and very brutal!

...though the Crimean war some 60 years before was also very very interesting. First war to be reported from "live" thanks to the telegraph, the first major war to use railroads tactically, trenches and "blind" artillery shooting...and the first war where the numbers of casualties from actual fighting was higher than the ones from diseases and infections! (thank you Florence Nightingale!)

Ahem, back on topic! Heathens, about that hand. How about holding it over the barrel somehow, in an attempt to reign in the recoil? Yes, top grips are strange in many ways...on modern firearms. Though I'm guessing targeters, rangefinders and other equipment would make them obselete in most situations, only to be used as a last resort when the digitals break down...

Get better heathens!

Had the wife bring up the HB guy, cuz it was bothering me that much. Looking at all angles, he looks totally fine, including the arm. Honestly, I think it's just the angle of the pic. I'll post another pic later to show you what I mean.

There is a trench table at a local store which I loved to play on.  I don't field much armor, ever anyway.  It plays much differently than any other table and listening to people whine when it is the only one available to use in the evening is music to my ears.  Modeling a believable looking trench table isn't much more difficult than foam, craft sticks and model railroad ballast.  Some water effects and weathering after painting and you are all set.  I think that you guys should be able to put something together that looks pretty amazing in no time.

There is a trench table at a local store which I loved to play on.  I don't field much armor, ever anyway.  It plays much differently than any other table and listening to people whine when it is the only one available to use in the evening is music to my ears.  Modeling a believable looking trench table isn't much more difficult than foam, craft sticks and model railroad ballast.  Some water effects and weathering after painting and you are all set.  I think that you guys should be able to put something together that looks pretty amazing in no time.

Already got a big ass bottle of wet effects, and modeling plaster to make craters. . I'm not too worried about objects on the table, or rough terrain, as my Malcadors don't care.

Dragon's Teeth? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Archived