XIV Dragoon, VII Grand Company, IV Legion (13Jun2015)

Hyaenidae

1000Heathens,

Not sure if you have spied my Imperial Fists, but I too believe in creating a grimy battle worn army. There isn’t anything nice about war, and Astates create a battlefield like we could not imagine (thinking Destroyers squads). One day in the far future I would love to pit my marines against yours, maybe the iron cage incident or something...

Looks great man, I wish I was as creative with kitbashing as you. The colourscheme looks awesome. Have you thought about using some weathering powders? Really helps if you are going for the realistic look.

These look great and I love the muddy bases, but I do have a few suggestions.

1) Mayov's hair could use a bit more highlighting to show strands and that it's hair. At first, I thought he had on some sort of skullcap or coif.

2) I think these guys would have a LOT more mud on them than just their lower legs and boots, though I know that's also something that's easy to overdo and ruin the effect. Maybe some splashes of mud on the thighs and lower torso?

3) OMG, why are you painting icons by hand? B&C has some HH IV Legion decal sheets, man! http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/files/file/231-iron-warriors-pre-heresy-logo-sheet-bols/

4) I want moar. Moar!

Edit: If you need the decal icons turned white, lemme know. I can probably modify them easily enough in Photoshop.

1. It's more an angle issue, the top of his noggin is a little detailed. But, yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm on it.

2. The mud mix I made is some hard to control stuff, I was very afraid of going overboard or screwing up my first minis. I'll attempt it on my later models, though.

3. Because I like to. I get more of a sense of accomplishment from it. Just a preference, no matter how hard it is.

4. Shortly, mon ami. Just waiting on a new detail brush.

I left 40k, this is true. I love this hobby though, so I decided to time-travel to 30k, where everything is grim-dark still, and bro-fists and hugs to xenos are only given by enraged Dreadnoughts.

This is my Oath of Moment; I shall not look away from a difficult task, nor suffer concepts of hope and happiness. Humanity will become extinct, and I will make the first steps to ensure this fate. Death to the False Emperor.

Well said, sir.

I unliked this post...just so I could like it TWICE.

"Hope is the first step upon the road to disappointment!" One of the few times those mewling Corpse slaves got anything right. What need have we of such? Hate and pride, defiance and harsh oblivion. Let the great knot of the cosmos unravel in the dust.

(Cookie for anyone that can source the bit in italics)

It's a shame you are a slave to your Primarch's desires. You would make an excellent Iron Warrior.

Not until I get a new detail brush, lol. Mine's almost toast.

Cool idea, though. Thanks!

I have an extra one, I'll put it in the bitz lot i'm getting ready for you!

great job.

and as BCK stated + why is that skull clean? maybe a boot print? scorch marks? oh and have you thought about the hammer Idea?

Sweet. I really need it. As for the skull, I imagined it floated up from the mud from shell concussions. Too much mud, and you wouldn't have seen it. Again, this mud mix is some seriously thick stuff.

i have been swamped with stuff lately, but i am going to make time to draw you something for this army.

I would be honored, my friend. I'm looking forward to it.

My God, those just scream 'Iron Warriors'. Lovely models, Heathens, especially the second one with the armour covering his whole upper body - no exposed abdomen.

I love those old chest pieces. Sadly, that was my last one. Looks like I'm going to have to hit up ebay for some more. Thanks for the comments, man, it means a lot.

They are looking fantastic so far mate. Cant wait to see some armour.

Probably going to be field pieces first. Arty before armour. :P

They look great! Feel inspired to finally start those IV legion allies I've been thinking on adding.

And where does the sergeant's head come from?

Do it! And Jeremy is correct, the noggin's from the ravenwing box.

1000Heathens,

Not sure if you have spied my Imperial Fists, but I too believe in creating a grimy battle worn army. There isn’t anything nice about war, and Astates create a battlefield like we could not imagine (thinking Destroyers squads). One day in the far future I would love to pit my marines against yours, maybe the iron cage incident or something...

I have, and they are outstanding. You should hit up the WIP thread sometime and dig up my Marines Malevolent thread, I've done a whole army that looks totally thrashed. I'm trying to find a nice balance between realistic weathering and still making the mini's look like what they are. To be honest, I'm pretty happy with them so far. As for a game, feel free to visit Alaska sometime, my door is always open!

Looks great man, I wish I was as creative with kitbashing as you. The colourscheme looks awesome. Have you thought about using some weathering powders? Really helps if you are going for the realistic look.

Thank you! I have thought about weathering powder, but only in small amounts. Too much, and a metal-painted mini quickly ceases to look right. I'll do some playing around, but I'm pretty happy with how they look right now.

Whoever gets hold of your Astral Claws and Marines Malevolent will be a very lucky man.

Good painting.

The MM are staying for now, so my son and I can play games. No matter how disgusted I am with the current feel of 40k, my time with my son is invaluable. When my Iron Warriors are around 1500 pts, I'll start thinking about selling them. (My son plays filthy xenos, so it's still fluffy, lol)

Yes... Yes they will msn-wink.gif

Indeed. Hope you enjoy and expand upon them, man.

3) OMG, why are you painting icons by hand? B&C has some HH IV Legion decal sheets, man! http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/files/file/231-iron-warriors-pre-heresy-logo-sheet-bols/

3. Because I like to. I get more of a sense of accomplishment from it. Just a preference, no matter how hard it is.

Fair enough. I tried that a loooooong time ago with a DIY chapter I made up after I quit Blood Angels and it wasn't for me.

First time I have dropped in on this thread since you have ditched 40k, and got to say I am not disapointed. You have got your mojo back (although, compared to us mere 'converting mortals', you never really lost it), these dudes look great - gritty, bitter bad boys full of your usual character. I look forward to seeing more thumbsup.gif

What's heathens to do now??

Some heavy weapons, mon ami.

First off, my version of a Heavy Bolter with Suspensor Web. Really, I imagine it's more like a stripped to bare bones Heavy Bolter:

gallery_37532_8712_271906.png

I feel like I need to add something to him, but I'm not sure what. I'm open to suggestions!

Next, a member of one of my Anti-Tank Platoon. I'm not a fan of FW's heresy missile launcher, so I opted for a skinnier IG Launcher. I like how it looks a bit like a Panzershreck. Sorry about the colors, he's repurposed from my Marines Malevolent:

gallery_37532_8712_211.png

As always, thoughts and opinions welcome. Take it easy, y'all.

Maybe you could find a scope or other manner of targeting system for the Heavy Bolter? I like it a lot. The Bazooka/Panzerschreck upgrade is cool as well.

That's a pretty solid Idea, thank you! Thanks for the kind comment!

Very nice. How about adding some spent shells to the heavy bolter base, make it look like he has been using his weapon?

Oh, I was planning on it, but the mud would cover the shells if I put them on now; I'll be adding them after the muck is laid on.

How about something like the smart gun harness from Aliens for the suspensor web?

Man, I really wanted to, but at the same time, I'm afraid something like that could get clogged with muck too quickly when he really needed the weapon, especially moving at a low crouch in a muddy trench. I opted for the lighter frame instead. Thanks for the idea though, man!

He's missing his A-gunner, who's gonna hump ammo for him msn-wink.gif

Serious critique though, I think he could use a repositioning of the hand more forward, possibly gripping a carrying handle of some kind like on the 240.

*snort* Iron Within, Iron Without. If he can't hump his own ammo, then tough. ;)

There is actually a forward grip, though I built it into the side of the weapon. I nabbed the idea from an old episode of Sons of Guns, when they modded out a .30 Browning to be fired from the shoulder (by a giant freaking dude, but shoulder fired none the less).

Archived