Heresy Era Iron Warriors, with new True Scale Mk II Marine

Doghouse

Cheers mate, glad to hear it NL are a very cool Legion.

What I'm thinking of doing at the mo is chucking in a few marines from other Legions. I think what might be cool is if Apologist is going for the regimented and ordered Ultramarine Imperial force I try and represent the breakdown of discipline with the traitors so they are almost at a proto-warband stage. So I can have a majority force of IW but at the same time throw in a few stragglers that they have picked up on the way.

I'm looking at wound markers as well, I think things like the female hooded human would look really cool. I quite like the idea of her being a corrupted Remembrancer that has been spared in the purge.

I'll try and get a siege mentality to the army ideally, maybe some artillery pieces thrown in or something like the Medusa. At the end of the day I'm going to go for look and feel rather than worry about making a highly competitive army list.

As Ed wants to go with a snow theme to create a contrast maybe something like Vahalla might make for an interesting setting.

Yeah there a few possibilities for a bit of variety which means I can also do other armour variants as well. I'll play around see what happens I guess, I'd quite like some Emperor's Children as I think that some of the more corrupted brothers would make for interesting modelling opportunities. First thing though is get the IW done and go from there.

I like the proto-warband concept – I think that's got a lot going for it. A nice core of Iron Warriors in mostly uniform armour and equipment would provide a great background to some more esoteric elements, and I think that would really help keep your interest in the army up. 

For the record, I'd quite happily play a scenario game or two rather than a 'balanced' pitched battle if you fancy. That approach would free us both from worrying overmuch on game-legal unit compositions and allow us to just make and paint whatever we feel like – a nice Rogue Trader style approach that would give us battle-hardened groups of marines and hangers-on. It'd also mean we can concentrate on telling a cool story  :)

I've had a read through the old Adeptus Titanicus-era stuff and haven't found much specific beyond the fact that the Ultramarines were the driving force behind purging Olympia after the Siege of Terra. Perhaps we could stage our game around that? It wouldn't need to be a static siege – there's plenty of potential for a long grinding war like Stalingrad (which has some amazing winter/urban imagery). I think it'd fit nicely into having huge numbers of Iron Warriors, Ultramarines and auxiliary forces slugging it out, no-holds-barred; and to have the Traitors on the defensive is a nice twist and reversal of Calth. Since it's a fairly major operation, there's potential for huge deployments on both sides – the remaining Iron Warrior garrisons on Olympia and the surrounding planets rounding up every single person on the planet in the face of extermination! Setting the game months into the campaign would allow for lots of broken patched-up units sent into battle; lots of ad hoc repairs and temporary assignments; desperately plugging aps and sending still-injured warriors back to the front... Lots of atmosphere.

A few concepts and ideas that spring to mind for the Iron Warriors:

1) Librarian/sorceror – hollowed black eyes and warpcraft whipping around him like a cloak.

2) Marines dug into foxholes and firing around dragon's teeth fortifications.

3) A pillar with dead Ultramarine and Imperial Fists strung up on it.

4) Emperor's Children – perhaps the Iron Warriors have captured one or more of the treacherous Emperor's Children and have bound daemons into them as punishment; using them for suicide assaults?

5) Allied traitors – fleeing from Terra, the Word Bearers, Sons of Horus et al. fall back down the Iron Warriors' supply lines... but the embittered Iron Warriors have no intention of letting them pass for free. They demand that other rebels help to hold the line – perhaps one warrior in ten is indentured to the Iron Warriors in exchange for letting the rest escape to the Eye of Terror?

6) Tank-riding Iron Warriors get into battle on the back of a famous Spartan tank destroyer.

7) Iron Warrior veterans of Tallarn bearing fright-banners of human skin and trophy racks.

8) Warbands of humans issued one or two guns and sent into battle under the watchful eye of overstretched Olympia defence force officers.

9) Iron Warrior Destroyers with glowing eye lenses peering out of blackened armour; happy to die slowly to their weapons if it means killing more loyalists.

10) Rad-grenades, forbidden tech – everything being thrown at the invaders.

11) Rapiers, thunderfire cannons and other mobile artillery.

12) Sardonic, bitterly-phrased banners – 'ever-faithful', 'following the orders of the Emperor', 'death is our business'.

13) Hover-minefields; grav-traps; tanglewire... lots of cool terrain ideas.

3) A pillar with dead Ultramarine and Imperial Fists strung up on it.

Hey Apologist, do you know which source had those pictures of the Sons of Horus who had strung up Ultramarines on pillars?

Another question, did the battle for Olympia happen before or after the Iron Cage Incident?

I was going to multi-quote but have trouble getting my head around all this new fandangled technology..

Dorn's_Fist: I'm sure we can sort something out at some point mate. ;)

Apologist: Some great ideas there mate. I'll plod on with the first squad which should keep me going till I can get the first Heresy book for the army list. Personally I'm of the same mindset as you on this one as I'd much rather go for a narrative driven battle rather than a plonk down standard scenario game.

I think our best bet is to look at the Legion army list as a starting point then see what we can add to it to flesh the armies out, ideal world I'd like 100 IW marines but it never hurts to have a few more outside the box options to give the game more flavour.

Olympia sounds good to me, I've always been a big fan of the Scouring. Once I get some proper free time to do some research I'll have a proper hunt around. Where's A D-B when you need a plot line...

For the IW I want them as uniform as possible to reflect how I see them first and foremost as true soldiers before the influence of chaos and milllenia of endless war shaped them to what we know them as now.

I love the idea of stragglers though, picking up troops from other Legions as they fight their way to the Eye offers some great possibilities.

Aquatone: That would be just my luck. :D

Malika666: I am actually considering that piece with the Ultramarines as it is one of my all time favourite pieces of artwork from that era in the original Space Marine epic game.

Ok very quick update as it's late here and I'm having a few camera problems.

Although I think the Huron head I originally used is great I'm not convinced it is right for my IWs so I swapped it out for one of the new tactical squad heads after removing the mohawk. Still a long way to go but it's coming together now and I much prefer the new head as it's a bit more mariney in my eyes. I've started to block out the first of the squad as well in bolt gun metal, I'll give this a few washes of badab black wash then get the rest done. I'm not a huge fan of the hazard stripe look but to be honest it does break all the metal up a bit. I'll be doing the bolter in the same pattern with the X on the knee pad showing he is praetor of the ten grand company. As I am going for a weathered kind of grotty look to the arrmour I'm painting it purely in washes to give it a more burnished look.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/002-6.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/003-6.jpg

Looking good. I think you've made the right decision with the headswap – the shaved head looks much more brutal. Huron head might be useful for an Emperor's Children marine in the future, perhaps?

The wash approach to the paintjob is a great way to get that battleworn feel across; and the depth you've got on the Praetor is just right. The black details on the torso front and knee go a long way to breaking up the silver without going overly intricate, which I think is well fitting for the Iron Warriors.

I'm with you on the hazard stripe thing as well – I always think it looks much more effective as fine strips across (say) the edge of a gun casing rather than across a whole shoulder pad. That'll go double for bigger marines, as the areas are that much broader.

Apologist: Cheers mate, yeah I think the hazard stripes is more of a throw back to 2nd edition that seems to have stuck as an icon for the Legion. It's a very sort of 80's sci-fi way of getting an industrialised theme running through the army in my opinion.

I'll crack on with this first bunch but next week I am seriously hoping to crank things up a notch or two. My goal is 100 marines, I'll see how I get on once I actually have some materials to work with.

Midnight Runner: Thanks mate, I'm hoping that by the time Apologist are done this will make for an amazing battle report.

Cheers mate :)

Bit of an update, Terminators...

This is a conversion I've made from a Centurion for the first terminator. I'm going for a compromise, a halfway stage between the Cataphracht and the MkIV version which I am calling Dominatus pattern.

It's made from a Centurion for the most part with some chaos terminator parts, Grey Knight head and GS. I need to remove the side claws on the feet just yet and do a few other GS bits and pieces to make it more Terminatory.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/001-7.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/002-7.jpg

The scale of the terminator is perfect with your marines and human in the shot.  What are you planning on arming him with Doghouse?  Something converted from the centurion kit or a sculpt of your own design?  The more I see of talented converters and sculptors making with that kit the more impressed I am with your work.  It's too bad that GW didn't see fit to package them individually so that more people would try their hand at turning the centurion into something more pleasing to the eye.

The height is way off. It's not like the marine grows longer when he puts a suit of terminator armour on. From the knee down is throwing the height off. 

Tactical Dreadnought Armour Exosuits do. They're described as making the marine far larger than a standard battle brother in power armour

The height is way off. It's not like the marine grows longer when he puts a suit of terminator armour on. From the knee down is throwing the height off. 

Tactical Dreadnought Armour Exosuits do. They're described as making the marine far larger than a standard battle brother in power armour

Larger =/= taller

Still, I like what's coming along with the conversion so far. The hips are throwing me though. They look far too dainty.

Only the mass of the suit should change.  I never read anywhere that the mass of the solder changed when wearing Terminator plate. At this scale the terminator is walking around on one foot platform boots.

Archived