Heresy Era Iron Warriors, with new True Scale Mk II Marine

Doghouse

Ermahgerd, Doghouse is back truescaling again, how did I miss this biggrin.png

Looking great so far chief, as always. Out of interest, are you using any spacers in these new ones/your prototypes, or is it just straight resin/plastic Termie legs with a wee extension on the feet? And the torsos; did you just put the plastic Marine torso straight onto the legs as-was and sculpt from there, or did you add extra height at the waist somehow?

• 4 months later...

Cheers guys :)

These new guys are just the forge world legs with sculpted torsos, the legs themselves are really scaled well for this kind of project.

There is a big update coming to this project...but...

I'm a bit torn at the moment.

I've got the first 20 marines mostly made which has proven to be extremely messy, just need to do the arms now and I've also started the Praetor for the force. The main problem is that I'm not entirely sold on the Iron Warriors idea at the moment for some reason. I have always loved their background story but for some reason these are screaming out Word Bearers to me now. I mus admit recreating the battle of Calth in truescale versus Apologist's Ultramarines would be pretty cool.

I may have to do some test models, but for now I'm cracking on with the first tactical squad as I have a lot of catching up to do. Pictures to come soon. ;)

OK update time.

First up the test model. Still very much a WIP and I am a bit limited with my paints at the moment so had to be a little creative with the few that I have that have not dried out. On the whole it does look really nice in person, I'm extremely happy with the proportions and after over ten years of research into this technique I am finally near the end of my quest.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC06764.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC06768.jpg

Scale shot with a regular marine and a test elongated guardsman to go with these guys potentially.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC06766.jpg

Shot with one of the butt ugly prototypes I originally made at the beginning of this thread. The Beauty of this method is that the marines fit on normal sized bases.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC06765.jpg

And lastly a small selection of the 41 marines I currently have on the go right now.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC06771.jpg

Cor, they look spectacular: really gritty – and the proportions are perfect smile.png

I'm a bit torn at the moment.

I've got the first 20 marines mostly made which has proven to be extremely messy, just need to do the arms now and I've also started the Praetor for the force. The main problem is that I'm not entirely sold on the Iron Warriors idea at the moment for some reason. I have always loved their background story but for some reason these are screaming out Word Bearers to me now.

I've sent you a PM with a few more thoughts on the matter, but if you're not feeling Iron Warriors at the mo, then a switch to Word Bearers might be the thing to do. You like a lot of customisation in your minis, and I think the Word Bearers will offer the opportunity for a lot of personalisation – blades, fetishes, runes, charms, robes etc. That's on top of the greater variety of armour marks that you could play with – by Calth, the Word Bearers would have access to everything up to mark VI, and following the events of Isstvan, they'd doubtless be using reserve suits of Mk II and III as well. It'd be the perfect storm of classic infantry with distinguishing marks.

Obviously I've got a 'horse in the race', as it were, but I'd really love a switch to Calth. We could recreate forces from one of the books, and have Hol Beloth facing off against Ventanus, for example :)

Cheers guys :)

Batu: Thanks mate :)

Paladin7221: In all honesty I think by the time we have have finished this could a be around a hundred marines with any luck.

Apologist: Yeah we definitely need to get something sorted along those lines, I think I need to get some test word bearers done to see how they look. I'm a bit limited for the time being with the armour marks but once I have the bulk of an army done I'm sure that I can knock up some other marks.

I'm trying to make some casualties as well, I really want to try and recreate the artwork of the Ultramarines chained to pillars as it was one of my favourite stories at the time of the first game.

I'll crack on with what I have for now then we can look at making a joint blog.

I've sent you a PM with a few more thoughts on the matter, but if you're not feeling Iron Warriors at the mo, then a switch to Word Bearers might be the thing to do. You like a lot of customisation in your minis, and I think the Word Bearers will offer the opportunity for a lot of personalisation – blades, fetishes, runes, charms, robes etc. That's on top of the greater variety of armour marks that you could play with – by Calth, the Word Bearers would have access to everything up to mark VI, and following the events of Isstvan, they'd doubtless be using reserve suits of Mk II and III as well. It'd be the perfect storm of classic infantry with distinguishing marks.

Heathens may want a word with you..... laugh.png Pure inspiration for individuality yet conformity.

Archived