Scars Episode XI Updated 16/10 (Spoilers)

So the Storm Seers are following their roles as described in the IA article. Are they still actively using powers or did they just keep their station and do the other duties?

It's mentioned in previous episodes they still regard the Stormseers with reverence despite the laws laid down. In this current episode the stormseer blames Nikea on all these troubles.

He states "that was why the Librarius was created not to extend the Legiones Astartes control of the Warp but to limit them. Nikaea. Such a disaster"

He also says other librarius brotherhoods (from other legions) thought the Stormseers dull and unimaginative for the way they treated the warp "dipping into the shallows to extract the powers they employed...never probing deeper...such way the cautious heritage of Chogoris."

It's safe to assume the White Scars saw themselves a lot more cautious with warp powers and regarded it as a higher power never to trust and thus while they still maintained the use of it, they also never fully trusted it so took great steps to curb the use.

The White Scars know the rules though but when Yesugei issued an order etc they still followed it as normal and still snuck glances when he was fully armoured in his mystical looking battle gear.

So the Alpha Legion is getting more and more confusing. I like the concept, it sounds and feels like Tzeentch, plots within plots as the == REDACTED - JUVENILE & NONCONSTRUCTIVE == begins to plicken. ;-)

How would you describe Russ`s character up till now? Arrogant, haughty, is he aware of his possible so called hypocrasy?

So the Storm Seers are following their roles as described in the IA article. Are they still actively using powers or did they just keep their station and do the other duties?

It's mentioned in previous episodes they still regard the Stormseers with reverence despite the laws laid down. In this current episode the stormseer blames Nikea on all these troubles.

He states "that was why the Librarius was created not to extend the Legiones Astartes control of the Warp but to limit them. Nikaea. Such a disaster"

He also says other librarius brotherhoods (from other legions) thought the Stormseers dull and unimaginative for the way they treated the warp "dipping into the shallows to extract the powers they employed...never probing deeper...such way the cautious heritage of Chogoris."

It's safe to assume the White Scars saw themselves a lot more cautious with warp powers and regarded it as a higher power never to trust and thus while they still maintained the use of it, they also never fully trusted it so took great steps to curb the use.

The White Scars know the rules though but when Yesugei issued an order etc they still followed it as normal and still snuck glances when he was fully armoured in his mystical looking battle gear.

So actually the White Scars joined in creating the Librarius for basically the opposite reasons as the Thousand Sons and actually use different methods? Curiouser and curiouser.

So actually the White Scars joined in creating the Librarius for basically the opposite reasons as the Thousand Sons and actually use different methods? Curiouser and curiouser.

Yeah, it shows in his interaction with Ahirman, Ahirman treats him kind of like an adult teaches a child imo, laughing and such at questions, the stormseer could see the power within Ahirman and acknowledged it but he also thought Ahirman knew it to and was a bit arrogant because of it.

Russ had received word of what occurred on Istvaan, he knew Ferrus was dead, he felt he should of been there fighting with him. Afaik all this information relayed to him was done outside of the book, possibly something to do with the way Valdor suddenly finds himself back on Terra. In his current position the wolves are being attacked heavily by the Alpha Legion, they were already seriously injuried after the assault on prospero, now they are losing a lot more ships and Russ has relented to retreating into a nebula in the hopes it screws up sensors (star trek like :p) The Khan and Russ have had no contact, Russ is attempting to contact the Khan now, the Khan knows the Alpha Legion are fighting the Wolves and have been told by the Warmaster to assist, however they also received information from Dorn that the warmaster has turned traitor and don't trust anyone and return directly to Terra.

I found this line in episode 5 to be really telling:

‘No!’ roared the Khan, long-burning anger suddenly bursting free. ‘I will not take direction from anyone, not even from a Throneworld that only now, now that its Legions are tearing one another to pieces, deigns to remember that it has eighteen warrior-sons at its service.’

It really plays along with the line from BoTS where it's implied that the Khan and the Emperor did not see eye to eye on much at all. 

If Magnus was willing to, then why wouldn't Alpharius? I mean, we know better, but that doesn't mean Russ does.

Magnus wasn't really willing to until the 11th hour. Magnus was also an incredible psyker. I don't think personal combat is Alpharius' thing. He's all about manipulation and surprise

I think with russ's reaction was just venting deep down he knew it wasn't going to happen he just wants answers to why this is all happening, like dorn in the lightning tower.

“The anger had been real – the kind of anger that had been building for weeks in the aftermath of Prospero – but for all that, Bjorn detected a false note to it, just an echo of something that did not quite ring true.

Did you really expect him to teleport over? Would you have done it, in his position?”

Excerpt From: Wraight, Chris. “Scars: Episode V.”

Did you really expect him to teleport over? Would you have done it, in his position?”

Excerpt From: Wraight, Chris. “Scars: Episode V.”

Confirms my suspicion. It was most likely a desperate attempt to bait Alpharius. Russ didn't actually have much hope that Alpharius would bite.

I'm also a little surprised that Yesugai is supposed to be the top fighter of his legion. I always thought Jubal was the man (as mentioned in Savage Weapons)

If Magnus was willing to, then why wouldn't Alpharius? I mean, we know better, but that doesn't mean Russ does.

Why wouldn't he know better? He should know better than us, right? I mean, it isn't like he was unaware of his brothers' natures. Not Russ, of all Primarchs.

Why wouldn't he know better? He should know better than us, right? I mean, it isn't like he was unaware of his brothers' natures. Not Russ, of all Primarchs.
So Russ knows about the Cabal, the slaughter of an entire Expedition and the Tenebra Installation debacle?

We know everything that's written. Like Sanguinius' confusion as to why the Blood Angels were ordered to assist the Alpha Legion, only for the Alpha Legion to order them to blockade the asteroid system.

Russ doesn't. He's a character within the universe. So he only knows what he has seen and heard, which is Alpharius is one sneaky little son of a gun. But he is a sneaky son of the gun who normally doesn't shirk from battle. After all, the Alpha Legion did blow up a whole planetoid while fighting Orks.

Even Magnus, a man who thought he was a wise scholar and was generally treated as one of the least "fighting" of the Primarchs, was still willing to come out and slug it out with Russ. So why would Russ expect less of Alpharius, who has a history of being unorthodox, but still willing to get into the thick of it.

So Russ knows about the Cabal, the slaughter of an entire Expedition and the Tenebra Installation debacle?

Come on, Kol, you know that's not what I meant.

Russ in all likelihood knows Alpharius better than we do. We know he wouldn't do that. Why wouldn't Russ? He's the kind who would make it his purpose to be aware of traits like that. Like with Angron and Magnus. Of all the Primarchs, he should be the to know Alpharius won't reveal himself like that.

Alpharius is a secretive individual. Sanguinius questioned why he and his Legion were put on blockade duty and how the Alpha Legion had the means to blow up a planetoid. Fair bet to say no one really knows who Alpharius is or what to expect of him. One minute he's doing things even Angron and Curze would think twice about and the next he makes Magnus look like a simpleton. That's all I'm saying.

We as the readers who see everything that is written know as much about Alpharius as there is currently to know. Russ, who is an in-universe character, is one of the people Alpharius likes to keep second-guessing. Primarchs are not infallible and they are not all-knowing. IIRC, is there not disbelief from the Khan that Horus would turn Traitor? And does he not show hesitation at disobeying the Warmaster's orders?

Why would we expect any less of any other Primarch? Currently, Russ is fighting the Alpha Legion. He has already been tricked razing Prospero. Apparently he was expecting Alpharius to fall for bait. He's probably thinking about whether or not he'll have to fight the White Scars as well. There is room for doubt, even in such a magnified, exalted and vaunted being as a Primarch. And with room for doubt, that room will inevitably be filled by doubt.

I may only be skimming through the spoilers, but I'm willing to bet that Russ is experiencing that doubt. And he wouldn't be the first Primarch.

I'm not disputing what you wrote except for one detail. I don't consider Alpharius' secretive, indirect confrontational personality and combat doctrine to be on the same level as the Warmaster's true loyalties, or that Russ' ignorance on why his ordersw ere changed to raze Prospero runs along the same vein as Alpharius' most basic traits.

There's some things that must be really, really common knowledge, especially to those most in the know, as Russ must be. Magnus' support of Librarians, Lorgar's worship of the Emperor, Guilliman's Ultramar Realm, Alpharius' habit of having other people pose as him while doing other things.

That said, Russ being disappointed is acceptable. He's in an emotional state and really wants to pound on someone. But despite that, he couldn't have been all that surprised. That'd be like being shocked to just now finding out that the Iron Hands make extensive use of bionic replacements.

Archived