Scars Episode XI Updated 16/10 (Spoilers)

Ah, righty then.

Not sure I like this version of the Khan's decision to head to Terra that much. At least in 'Visions' Dorn was incessantly texting the Khan to come home, and he made that decision out of pure urgency. Now he simply wants to figure out what's going on...is that really more important than saving his brother?

Well he's stuck between a rock and a hard place, he doesn't know if the space wolves were acting on orders to attack the thousand sons and the Khan was fond of the sons due to the librarius, alternatively it's hard for him to conceive the warmaster has turned traitor, and then there's the issue of the Alpha Legion being order to attack the wolves but then there's the alpha legion stopping them from leaving to help which is also what they've been ordered to do. In the end the Khan ends up going for the choice in the middle, ignore attacking the wolves or helping the wolves and return to terra to find out what's really happened. There's a quote which goes a long the lines of "Even a Burhut will eventually come when called" I.e an animal whose trained to do so will come home eventually, I figure Khan as the warhawk sees himself in the same way.

regarding that void showdown

did the alpha legion conveniently leave a weak spot in their lines on purpose? with the so-called battle-barges and their "ponderous clumsiness"

seen as they hung about for dorn's retun to terra message to get through to the white scars, you'd think they were actively encouraging it?

after keeping silent beforehand, the alpha legion fleet tried to hail the white scars on the vox when they were within lance-range, but were ignored. i wonder what they were trying to tell them?

also, they didn't give pursuit once they'd broken through the blockade either

hmmm, questions within questions as usual with the alpha legion

I don't think the weakness was intended, there were additional battle barges but the Khan had surmised that the Alpha Legion couldn't have that many battle barges if they are simultaneously blockading his fleet and also fighting the space wolves. To someone else this wouldn't of been apparent, especially non imperials, but they were facing a Primarch who had tactical knowledge of what a legion could call upon.

Also I personally think Omegon was in charge of the fleet blockading the White Scars, they didn't attack the White Scars and didn't especially seem like they wanted to. If they were acting under orders of Horus they would of let them go by as the White Scars had been ordered to assist in the destruction of the Space Wolves. The hails were most likely an attempt to stop any bloodshed. Omegon knew the White Scars would be able to receive messages from Terra due to his action in taking out the Tenebrae station, he was holding the White Scars there so they could get a better picture of what was going on instead of allowing them to rush off and attack the Space Wolves due to Horus's orders which could get through far more easily than the Imperiums could.

That's the only explanation I can see as to why the Alpha Legion are even in front of the White Scars, they simply shouldn't be there.

So Russ shrugs his shoulders after hearing dissapointing news and just gets on with it. (How cool is that) Have the Space Wolves been able to consolidate their situation in the nebula?

They are hiding, they've figured out the anomalies etc of the nebula and have been able to hide, they are repairing, rearming etc all the things a fleet would do, and will be taking the fight back to the Alpha Legion

Ah, righty then.

Not sure I like this version of the Khan's decision to head to Terra that much. At least in 'Visions' Dorn was incessantly texting the Khan to come home, and he made that decision out of pure urgency. Now he simply wants to figure out what's going on...is that really more important than saving his brother?

Well, in this version, the Khan is still somewhat loyal to Horus right? Like he was confused which side to believe at first, IIRC. So in essence, if he can fully gather a whole picture from one person or the other, he can find out what happened. Not only that, but the Emperor is at Terra. The Emperor can probably give him the clearest picture available. Which would dramatically influence his decision.

did the alpha legion conveniently leave a weak spot in their lines on purpose? with the so-called battle-barges and their "ponderous clumsiness"

seen as they hung about for dorn's retun to terra message to get through to the white scars, you'd think they were actively encouraging it?

after keeping silent beforehand, the alpha legion fleet tried to hail the white scars on the vox when they were within lance-range, but were ignored. i wonder what they were trying to tell them?

I hope not...the Alpha Legion is very wily, but I don't want them to be portrayed as so smart that they're never outmaneuvred by another legion

I hope not...the Alpha Legion is very wily, but I don't want them to be portrayed as so smart that they're never outmaneuvred by another legion

^This. There are master tacticians, but no one is perfect, not even the Alpha Legion. The fact they had to pretend to be destroyed three times previously means that at three times in their history, they had to pretend to be destroyed because someone was getting close to either actually destroying them, or doing very significant damage. You only run and hide when you are wounded, not when you can turn around and leave no survivors to tell a tale.

And by run and hide, I mean the same way a snake runs and hides when you go after it with a shovel, not the way a wolf does so it can ambush you later on.

Pretend? I don't think there's any pretend - just that there have been times when the Legion has been actually thought to be wiped out with no pretension on behalf of the Alpha Legion. Defeated. Killed to death. Destroyed. But then another cell emerges. I'm not disagreeing on the Alphas getting their arse handed to them. I'm just saying it was not "fleeing and pretending to be wiped out", but instead of getting actually wiped out (or so they thought) as is thematically fit for the Hydra mythology.

On the other hand, there's already the beginnings of a inter-Legion war going on amongst the Alphas. If it was those who support the Emperor (secretly), letting them pass may have been the plan. Gotta make it look convincing, of course, lest one of the twins tick off the other, or show his hand too early.

Pretend? I don't think there's any pretend - just that there have been times when the Legion has been actually thought to be wiped out with no pretension on behalf of the Alpha Legion. Defeated. Killed to death. Destroyed. But then another cell emerges. I'm not disagreeing on the Alphas getting their arse handed to them. I'm just saying it was not "fleeing and pretending to be wiped out", but instead of getting actually wiped out (or so they thought) as is thematically fit for the Hydra mythology.

That would still prove my point though. Three times a cell(or series of cells) that account for such a large portion of the Legion that three times it has been considered destroyed when that cell(or series of cells) means that somewhere, someone did some serious digging and found a very sizeable Alpha Legion operation, which was then destroyed and the Legion along with it. Considering even back in those days when Legions were still thought of in the tens of thousands(or a considerable number of thousands), that would almost have to mean that tens of thousands of Alpha Legion Astartes were killed along with enough operatives, ships and equipment to certify a judgement of destruction. Three times. That would mean that three times the Alpha Legion took a very serious hit. Granted, the fact that it survived is a tribute to it. But the fact it happened three times is a tribute against the XX Legion.

That would still prove my point though.

Oh sure. I wasn't trying to take anything away from your point, just shared my views on how they got their ass kicked.

Any faction in Warhammer that doesn't have a good amount of proper losses of varying humiliation value is an utterly worthless one.

And then two years later they were executed for incompetence because an Alpha Legion battle-barge destroyed a deep space patrol. tongue.png

EDIT:

That would still prove my point though.

Oh sure. I wasn't trying to take anything away from your point, just shared my views on how they got their ass kicked.

Any faction in Warhammer that doesn't have a good amount of proper losses of varying humiliation value is an utterly worthless one.

Ah, okay. Apologies for misunderstanding.

Well I never understood how they could been declared to been wiped out. 50 000 berzerkers fought and died on Armageddon and World Eaters weren't declared to been wiped out. Just imagine it:

"It is done! Alpha Legion is no more!"

"But sir, what about Alpha Legion warbands in the Eye of Terror and Malestorm?"

"Those are no more. They are surely gone. Absorbed by other warbands."

"What about splintered warbands?"

"Eradicated too. All of them."

"Are you sure about this sir? I mean they alredy have been declared to been wiped out, you know how it turned out."

"No, no, no! Somehow, I am entirely sure that across the whole galaxy the entire legion of infiltrators and hide and seek professionals has been eradicated! Now shut up, before I execute you for heresy!"

(By the way, if every 40k AL warlord acts like Carron, I wouldn't be surprised that AL got near extinct three times. :D)

To the Scars

I am bit suprised that it alread came to Khan deciding to disengage.

I think that AL underestimated Khan and he used it to his advantage. Simple as that. I think they were taken by surprise.

As I much as I would love to see any AL POW, I doubt we will see it here. I don't know why but I got the feeling that we will see just little outside bits from AL, just like that one AL marine wispering "For the Emperor." before he died.

By the way someone else finds it ironic that this time is AL are the ones fighting en masse and SW are the ones hiding? It is nice to see both legions doing non-steretypical things and doing them well. I would really love to see Alpharius beating Russ in close combat and in turn Russ outsmarting Alpharius, but that can't happen 1. because something similar already happened in Betrayer and 2. massive outrage it would caused.

Well the Alpha Legion was never believed to have sought shelter in the Eye or the Maelstrom, that's why in their IA article, a point was made that even though they are always so far away, they have an alarming rate of mutation, in contrast with the Night Lords who have a shockingly pure gene-seed.

Well the Alpha Legion was never believed to have sought shelter in the Eye or the Maelstrom, that's why in their IA article, a point was made that even though they are always so far away, they have an alarming rate of mutation, in contrast with the Night Lords who have a shockingly pure gene-seed.

Oh I don't know Kol...I made a search on 1d4chan and it just said: "No such Legion exists, therefore no such gene-seed exists."

You must be mistaken about this legion supposedly named "Alpha Legion"...it's all in your mind! ;)

I always thought it had something to do with Crusades. 

Alpha Legion eradication #1

M33 - The Robespierren Crusade

Alpha Legion cells are rooted out and exterminated across all Segmentums, the survivors being corralled and pushed back until the fateful, climactic final battle that took place in the Meridia System. A series of fourteen additional witch hunts sweep across the Imperium over the course of half a millennia until at long last the Alpha Legion is considered to have been exterminated.

Led by Ferrus Manus of the Iron Hands Chapter, because :cuss you that's why.

Or you know the Imperium is really doomed, when you can run a pretend extermination of yourself that actually convinces them, in spite of portraying a very well known to be dead son of their God in charge.

Oh Imperium. Are you even trying?

Well, there are multiple source mentioning presence of AL even in Eye of Terror (warband of Arkos the Faithless was in the eye, Carrons warband too, new BL supplement mentions AL in the Eye ond so on).

RapatoR, on 11 Sept 2013 - 18:47, said:

Kol_Saresk, on 11 Sept 2013 - 16:03, said:

Well, there are multiple source mentioning presence of AL even in Eye of Terror (warband of Arkos the Faithless was in the eye, Carrons warband too, new BL supplement mentions AL in the Eye ond so on).

Fair enough. I haven't read the new BL supplement. I just remember that part from the IA article that it was supposed to be weird and shocking for them to have mutations because, apparently to Imperial sources, as a generalization of the Legion, they don't have the sheer amount of warp exposure like say, the Word Bearers do.

Who is Carron?

Archived