Quotes that Struck you from the Heresy Series

Emperor's Furor

I see your point, Sergeant, but most Space Marine Legions and chapters end up resorting to a frontal charge. And they do take losses, but it ends up working. The Eaters take more losses, which is why they recruit more youngbloods than Brangelina.

That's the military disbelief-suspending part. As for the characters themselves, I see no issue. The Eaters are ultra-violent yet among themselves they treat each other as comrades-in-arms, yet always in a competitive manner, just like it tends to happen in violence-oriented groups.

Edit: The part where Khârn states how much they dislike their father while every other Legion loves theirs changed my perspective on the WE - it was a lot like yours, though a little more hopeful.

As Greyall said casualty rates are high but there training facilities pretty much kill 90% of applicants within the first week, they recruit quickly in order to maintain legion numbers they still have armoured elements support units and everything. They just utilise it in a manner appropriate to their war style.

It's like blood angels deep sticking land raiders

I'm definitely not going to get into the tactics and strategies discussions. That's a bottomless pit from where this thread will never return because everyone has a different idea of how things would and could work in the context of the universe. I'll just leave it at it being better for everyone to like the things that they like about it and get back to the quotes. 

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Ostian Delafour, Fulgrim

Totally used that in an essay, AP referenced, cited and everything.

That´s a very neat one, but I believe the author borrowed from Frank Herbert (no criticism here, better to copy the good stuff rather than make up your own mediocre one):

“Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

The expression "nothing left to take away" does lend itself to a "nothing to lose" interpretation, I see Crusaders' point, but my guess is that sentence has to do with setting your qualities and values in stone.

The oldie "There are no wolves on Fenris" is a neat one, as well, especially because it gives an incredibly dark and tragic tone to the Space Wolves's society.

Out of all the criticisms I've ever heard directed at Black Library, "They don't make the Chaos Space Marines two dimensionally evil ENOUGH" is certainly a new one.

I know. Usually them being two-dimensional is the complaint.

My mustache is fuller and more twirlier than yours

Nyaahnyahnyaah

devil.gif

• 2 weeks later...

. Angron has irremovable hate-cables pumping bloody thought into his brain at all time.

Did the fluff change on this? Because I thought the Emprah wanted to pull the Nails out, and he refused. And then he went and implanted the same torture devices into his Legion despite being told not to. They were only irremovable to the lesser forms of the Space Marines, not to him as a primarch. His were left in by choice.

Angron was an unstable lunatic who should have been put down like a rabid dog. Not some kind of warrior poet, lol. But hey, what would a late 80s/early 90s cartoon universe be without a few cartoon characters to populate it? Honestly, the biggest problem with the World Eaters has been this slow escalation of poorly thought out fluff that inflated their cartooniness even more. I've always said the World Eaters are the coolest to model and paint and the worst when it comes to fluff and character. But I think that's exactly because they are awful cartoon character Space Marines. laugh.png

You, my friend, have obviously not read Betrayer.

Just a guess. But it's awesome. Guaranteed to change your perspective on the XII.

No, I did. And I applaud ADB's valiant effort to try to make three dimensional characters out of the World Eaters... but that novel did little more than highlight exactly how silly and cartoony the entire GW concept of the World Eaters is. The characters were often incredibly contradictory in their behaviors, especially any time an attempt was to humanize them, and their mindsets and tactics in the book were so incredibly wasteful, you wondered just exactly how the World Eaters had managed to remain a viable fighting force and had not just simply ground itself into dust.

I honestly believe, and I always have, that the World Eaters are just impossible to make into believable characters. A lesser author would have failed spectacularly, so it says something that ADB's novel only came across as inauthentic to the source material, and not just ridiculously silly. But that's about the best I can say for Betrayer. The battle scenes were just long B-Movies, full of protagonists that win only because the story needs them to, not because any of their actions suggest it is possible. The interactions between the characters in non-battle scenes felt fake, because the characters do one thing one moment, and another thing another moment. The Nails become a gimmick. Affecting them at some points, and being conspicuously absent for any needed moments of clarity. These are Chaos Marines from a bygone era where it was okay to be Angryon the Primarch of the Chaos God of Being Angry. Trying to make them fit rationally into the story and universe... is a wasted effort. They are much better off just being the background, faceless supporting cast. Who are angry and evil because they are angry and evil. It's like a zombie movie. The less time you take explaining the zombies and how they came to be zombies, the better the movie is.

With a clean slate, I'm sure the World Eaters could be wrestled into some kind of believable role in the universe. But GW's writers spent 20 years developing them into cartoon villains. Battle for the Abyss had fairly authentic World Eaters. And, well, I probably don't have to point out just how awful that book was, lol.

Basically, Angron and Khârn could easily have been sympathetic tragic characters. But that's just not the way GW wrote them. They're cartoon characters. So attempts to un-write the World Eaters mythology leaves them feeling rather inauthentic.

Your entire thought process has affected me like the butchers-nails in literary form. If you want cartoony, I will point you towards 40k era Ultramarines.

Some of my favorite quotes, thus far:

"Because we couldn’t be trusted. The Emperor needed a weapon that would never obey its own desires before those of the Imperium. He needed a weapon that would never bite the hand that feeds. The World Eaters were not that weapon. We’ve all drawn blades purely for the sake of shedding blood, and we’ve all felt the exultation of winning a war that never even needed to happen. We are not the tame, reliable pets that the Emperor wanted. The Wolves obey, when we would not. The Wolves can be trusted, when we never could. They have a discipline we lack, because their passions are not aflame with the Butcher’s Nails buzzing in the back of their skulls. The Wolves will always come to heel when called. In that regard, it is a mystery why they name themselves wolves. They are tame, collared by the Emperor, obeying his every whim. But a wolf doesn’t behave that way. Only a dog does. That is why we are the Eaters of Worlds, and the War Hounds no longer."

- Captain Khârn of the World Eaters Legion's 8th Assault Company, from his unpublished treatise The Eighteen Legions

"Though the battle had ended and the enemy was far from the reach of our blades, most of us didn't come back from the Urgall Depression. Even those men who escaped, those pitiful few, even they didn't come back. They're still there now. We all are, fighting for our lives."

- Unknown Legionary survivor of the Istvaan V Massacre

"When the traitor's hand strikes, it strikes with the strength of a Legion."

- Warmaster Horus, after the Istvaan V massacre

"This is not victory, it is death. It is bonds broken and bloody. And it shall mark us all for generations."

- Vulkan Primarch of the Salamanders Legion

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Ostian Delafour, Fulgrim

Totally used that in an essay, AP referenced, cited and everything.

That´s a very neat one, but I believe the author borrowed from Frank Herbert (no criticism here, better to copy the good stuff rather than make up your own mediocre one):

Antoine de Saint-Exupery is credited for saying it. 

My favorite quote in all of the Horus Heresy or 40k:

"But, Captain, I was wrong when I told you the Schadenhold would never fall. Idriss, it will fall..." Warsmith Dantioch, Iron Warrior

First book Horus

' and bunting...I particularly despise bunting'

Fulgrim

'Ooh yes Marius, another turn of the screw..oh yes..that's exquisite!'

I winced several times when I heard that one.

As on poster said, the quote 'We are mighty because we are right. Vile the hour when the reverse becomes our credo.'

Really sticks with you.

I also like 'The Emperor's loyal warriors will not surrender to you now, not ever! You will have to kill every last one of us!' from Ferrus Manus when Fulgrim offers to save his life if Ferrus turns. To his credit, he doesn't smile.png

There are two qoutes that made me laugh for minutes on, the first has been mentioned several times here:
"Our turn" by Khârn in "Betrayer" Only to imagine the faces of the Ultramarines hearing it and to read what came next... awesome!

and the second one is out of "Legion":
"That´s all you get!" by Aplharius( or was it Omegon?)

To add to the earlier Dark Angels quotes I posted, one I found the other day sums up the Dark Angels in 3 simple words.....

The Lion and Brother Redemptor Nemiel stand over a former Librarian who has broken the Edict of Nikea and used sorcery to try to banish a warp beast. The Lion's seneschal interrupts the discussion with the following...

"Did it work?"

There it is, the pragmatism of the First Legion!

First book Horus

' and bunting...I particularly despise bunting'

Fulgrim

'Ooh yes Marius, another turn of the screw..oh yes..that's exquisite!'

I winced several times when I heard that one.

As on poster said, the quote 'We are mighty because we are right. Vile the hour when the reverse becomes our credo.'

Really sticks with you.

I also like 'The Emperor's loyal warriors will not surrender to you now, not ever! You will have to kill every last one of us!' from Ferrus Manus when Fulgrim offers to save his life if Ferrus turns. To his credit, he doesn't smile.png

Haha yes, that whole short story was..well..odd, but that line was pretty funny I thought!

Archived