Blood and Thunder - Update - XII Raptor-Praetor WIP

StruManChu

So today is kind of a big milestone day, at least in terms of this plog. Today is this project's first birthday, as well as my 100th post on B&C. And...

I've painted a Primarch.

gallery_67188_8872_663521.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_1254094.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_431235.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_463425.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_1241750.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_393143.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_287880.jpg

I cannot tell you how much fun and how fulfilling it was to paint this model. I was reasonably nervous starting off, but over the course of working on him during the last few weeks my confidence has increased quite a lot, to the point of me being able to say without question that this is the best painting I've ever done on anything. Simon Egan is a genius, and I'm looking forward to my next one of the Emperor's Sons.

That said... I'd love some feedback on him, so let me know what you guys think. The Red Butchers are just about done, but I've got some tidying up to do on them so they'll probably (hopefully) be up tomorrow or Monday.

Cheers guys!

Thanks LordValrak! I got the picture in my sig as part of the Loyalty and Treachery thing last year. I'd never seen the original, and might I say that it is fantastic, so thanks for posting that link. It's really cool.

A small update for today. I didn't get to do a lot on the Red Butchers today, but I did manage to make a start on the Praetor for my World Eaters... Had a bit of a brainwave, and I wanted to see what it would look like, and then this happened.

gallery_67188_8872_198674.jpg

Pretty happy with how this is going so far... Man I love Heresy stuff...

Thanks guys! To me, Heresy-era World Eaters are all about a mix of incredible skill and precision, and psychopathic abandon and rage. I wanted my Praetor to be an example of this. However, I've been stuck for absolutely ages trying to gather bits and get some inspiration, but nothing really hit me until this, so I'm glad for the feedback.

I spent this evening building his arm and ridiculous axe. Bits of both GW and Forgeworld Khârn, Huron Blackheart and Zhufor went into it. It's held together by more pins than my Contemptors. He's just about ready to paint now, so I'll be having a crack at him next week when I'm back from the South Coast. Bloody holidays getting in the way of hobby time!

Anyway, here's a terrible phone photo of the finished product. Let me know what you think!

gallery_67188_8872_1181656.jpg

Thanks Olisredan! I've had the image of what I want it all to look like in my head since about the time I started on the World Eaters, so I've been slowing picking up bits off eBay and so forth... Had absolutely no idea how it was going to turn out, but I'm pretty pleased!

Another small update for today - I finally finished off the Red Butchers. As I've said before, I really didn't like these sculpts when they came out... They just didn't look brutal enough for me, and as happens occasionally, the FW paint job did them no favours whatsoever. But! I like how these have ended up. I've tried to make them as similar to Angron's colours as I can, though they're a unit, not a centrepiece like a Primarch, so obviously not as much time has been spent on these guys.

gallery_67188_8872_743583.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_461200.jpg

Once my Praetor's done, there's not a lot left for me to do on the World Eaters any more, so I'll be moving over to my VII Legion stuff, which I'm looking forward to... As much as a person can look forward to painting that much yellow.

Another update!

Working on my Imperial Fists this weekend and trying to remember how the hell I painted my yellows nearly a year ago. I'm finishing off my Seeker Squad along with their Rhino first, and then having a crack at an Achilles Alpha-ish. Somewhere in the middle of that, I'll be doing my World Eaters Praetor too.

gallery_67188_8872_569673.jpg

The guy above is obviously still WIP, but he's not far off. I've managed to get this far only using washes and a yellow glaze (aside from the metal areas), which makes it really quick. I'll be going over some of the yellow with some old Sunburst Yellow, which makes it a stronger colour.

gallery_67188_8872_919733.jpg

These three are just about ready for the yellow glaze. Once that's done, I'll do a really thin wash of Army Painter Strong Tone, another yellow glaze, then another thin wash of Strong Tone, then weathering, then tidying up, then maybe another wash. As they're a Seeker Squad, and would be used to operating independently of the main force for good lengths of time, I want them to look really beaten up and worn.

gallery_67188_8872_1027051.jpg

The Squad so far...

Let me know your thoughts, brothers!

(and sisters, where applicable)

Marqol - Thanks mate! I've said it before, but Lamenters Yellow is the best. I've had a crack at a Marines Malevolent army a while back, but the sheer amount of time it took to get even bog-standard Tactical marines to a point I was happy with took way too much effort, for me anyway. It just makes yellow so much easier I feel like I'm cheating.

Ovidius Incertus - He is indeed pinned. There are quite a lot of pins in that Praetor. Nothing more embarrassing than your most menacing centrepiece-iest model, who is supposed to strike fear into your enemies and reap a heavy toll in blood and skulls fall off his base.

@Ovidius - Meet my new best friend, the paperclip!
gallery_67188_8872_32277.jpg
"It looks like you're trying to assemble an artfully posed miniature. Can I help?... Wait... Oh God! No! Put down the pli-AAAAAAAaaarrrrggghhhhhhhhhh"

You're exactly right. I drilled into the foot at a pretty sharp angle, as you can see, and then lined up the pin so that he looked like he was putting the boot into the other marine, then just drilled in on that angle. Not a particularly exact measurement, but it's worked!

Brief update again - I've finished off (bar basing) the four final Seekers, and the squad is looking good. Just gotta finish off the Rhino, which will hopefully be done on the weekend.

gallery_67188_8872_62837.jpg

As ever, comments and criticisms are very welcome!

Cheers guys.

• 3 months later...

Archived