[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

I find it incredibly difficult to find a proper unit to drop Sev into. I hate mixed armor units so usually not terminators although him being a homing beacon for them is nice. Raptors move too fast for him to keep up. Terror squads maybe?

I use him when I can. He should be able to beat just about anyone short of a primarch or Sigismund in combat-especially if it's a challenge or if his power goes off. Plus he's the only useful NL character we have. FW really screwed us with that Flaymaster clown imo.

He does not generate powers he has it already selected for him, so he cannot get Primaris.

Generating powers is rolling off the table. He doesn't roll on any table, it is selected.

But with psychic focus, you don't need to roll. If all of a psykers' powers are off the same table, which for him, as he only has one power, they are, he gets the primaris without rolling. RAW

If a Psyker generates all of his psychic powers from the same psychic discipline, that Psyker will automatically know that discipline’s primaris power in addition to any other powers they know, as described in Psychic Focus (below).

Word for word quote. 

In some Army List Entries, a Psyker will have one or more specific psychic powers listed – where this is the case, it will be clearly stated. These Psykers always start the game with those psychic powers. Otherwise, a Psyker generates random psychic powers from amongst the psychic disciplines known to him.

"Otherwise generated" means that if he knows the power already, it's not generated. If it's not a generated power, it can't be used with Psychic focus as that relies on generation.

He doesn't have Prescience.

"RAW". :laugh.:

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

Hey lads what do you think about this quick and nasty Terror Assault list I just sketched up. It's mainly for use against 40k armies in a semi-competitive setting:

HQ

Praetor

AA, Digital Lasers, Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Trophies, Jump Pack, TERROR ASSAULT

TROOPS

Terror Squad x10

AA, Chainglaive, 10x Volkite Chargers, Drop Pod

Terror Squad x10

Terror Squad x10

FAST ATTACK

Night Raptors x15

4x Chainglaives, Huntmaster with AA, Melta Bombs and 2x Lightning Claws

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter

Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 6x Kraken Missiles

HEAVY SUPPORT

Fire Raptor Gunship

4x Hellstrike Missiles, Reaper Autocannons

This comes to 2k on the dot. The Praetor goes with the Night Raptors. I would love to find a way to get them a Void Shield Harness to make them extra durable. I am worried about anti-tank, like every Terror Assault list I think! I am relying on the Fire Raptor and Lightning to do the heavy lifting, with Melta Bombs being the last resort.

Thoughts?

Never take Hellstrike missiles, as they're Ordnance.

You have 3 units coming in from Reserves (a Drop Pod, Lightning and Fire Raptor), plus the Night Raptors can Deep Strike, but you have nothing to boost the roll. Fortifications are out, so maybe a Damocles? Dropping the Hellstrikes gives you 20 points. Maybe drop the lightning claws from the Night Raptors and a a couple of Night Raptors themselves? The squad is plenty big enough!

Ex, I like the list, and I think you'll have a ton of fun with it. But a couple of small points to build on Caillum's.

- The Night Raptor squad is pretty big. It's going to be a crazy huge target, especially since it's the only target your opponent will have until reserves start coming in. Too, chainglaives are of minimal usefulness on anyone besides the Huntmaster. Reason being that after the initial Onslaught charge (or if you roll a one with it) you aren't going to have many attacks for them. Power axes are a little bit better of an investment in this case since they give you a minimum of three attacks on the charge and spread a little reliable AP2 in there as well. With the lightning claw pairs, you won't want for AP3, so in my mind, the axes are a better resource for consistency.

- I like the idea of adding in a Damocles rhino b/c it will give you another unit on the field before reserves, and it will assist in bringing those reserves in post-haste. 

- You have zero ranged heavy anti-tank until that Kraken boat comes in. What is your plan if your opponent is rolling with an Armored Spearhead? Terror squad volkites are scary effective on any infantry, but you have to break them out of their little armored boxes first.

- A good setup for Terror squads that will save you a few points would be 25 marines in 10, 10, 5. The 10 man squads come down first turn and the 5 man goes where ever a little extra help is needed. 

Edited by Flint13

I shiver to think what would happen if that list saw somw heavy armod on the other side of the table. Against an infantry army however, I see it being quite effective.

Terror assault is just so restrictive

I shiver to think what would happen if that list saw somw heavy armod on the other side of the table. Against an infantry army however, I see it being quite effective.

Terror assault is just so restrictive

And that's why I hate terror assault and love it at the same time.

The restrictions allow you to really think out of the box in terms of getting the anti tank and monstrous creatures weapons you need, while balancing out other stuff.

On the other hand the restrictions are so heavy that it makes it so that most night lords lists almost always look the same and it's fairly cocky cutter.

Wouldn't a Damocles be a big target on first turn? I mean it's the sole armored land vehicle you have in the list. It'll attract quite a bit of anti tank from your enemy. How about a master of signals instead? Maybe try to split the raptor squad in two squads of 10 and put the MOS with a jump pack? Actually can he take a jump pack?

So heres something I have been wondering: do you guys and gals think that the Night Lords could run a mass infantry list well? Or is that more in the dominion of the Iron Hands? For my fluff I've been thinking a seig company and want to see if it could translate to the TT well. Also how well could we do a mechanised list? I absolutely love the Night Lords excpet I'm not really excited with having to stick with Terror Assualt all the time.

It really depends on if you see typhons, scorpii and medusas much. If they're relatively rare then I think blobs of night lords can be pretty effective as the outnumber bonus is huge. Maybe if they fix the assault squad points a large blob of those would work since you'd almost always get the outnumber bonus and do some damage with the weight of attacks. I'd probably put the chaplain in for the fear and reroll to hit. One thought is possibly going the WE route and just making a horde of despoilers and rampage in while backing them up with a full HS worth of fire power

It isn't so much an issue of whether or not the 8th do a mass infantry list well, it's more that so many other things do anti-mass infantry well for reasons like Skimask mentions above. Everything is good at killing tons of marines in 30k.

The reason you see slightly more of an footslogging vibe from Iron Hands is that they are more protected outside of a transport due to their Armor Inviolate rule.

A mechanized or Seige company would work just fine for the 8th, however. Every legion could do every battlefield role, just with a little interesting legion appropriate flavor added.

I think night lords can do masses of infantry well, anytime they can outnumber a unit you're assaulting they will do well, so tactical blobs can work, they just need the proper firepower to back them up to deal with anti marine shooting. 

There's no added benefit to running an armored night lords company like what iron hands or warriors get, but as Flint mentioned any legions can do any roll, even if it wasn't what their legion tactics were made for. 

Just wondered what folks thoughts were on Terror Squads and Volkite - is it really a must have? Running Terror Assault already costs a bomb, yet alone adding a volkite charger to each marine. Are these not points better spent elsewhere? Or am I insane? :)

So what's everyone's terminator units weapon loadouts look like for units of both 5 and 10? Chainfists seem very useful to me being one of only a few things that care little for armored ceramite. I generally forego regular fists for chainfists. But how many? What about the rest of the unit?

Me and raktra are thinking about rocking a doubles tourney, and I've included a 10 man transponder armed unit with 2 chain fists and 5 combi. Whether or not to run plasma or melta is a different beast though Edited by helterskelter

Me and raktra are thinking about rocking a doubles tourney, and I've included a 10 man transponder armed unit with 2 chain fists and 5 combi. Whether or not to run plasma or melta is a different beast though

What's the points cost difference between the 2? Technically they both do the same against TEQ's