New Army Blog: Storm Brothers (Primaris Chappy WIP on p.33)

geektom

I can see what you mean, man. I don't think it's terrible, because the gold basically IS yellow from TT distance. I think it's the extra red that's causing the clown look. I think you could replace with black for an interesting contrast. Since they're so bright it will add a bit of pop without complicated the scheme overmuch. 

As for swapping out your yellow and purple, I don't think I'd go there personally. They'd be in danger of looking like a very different force and I always associate it with Raven Guard because of the white-arm veterans. Helmet color swaps are easy, but arms and legs seem too close to RG territory in my opinion. Most likely if they were all light gray they'd just look like an allied squad.

"As for swapping out your yellow and purple, I don't think I'd go there personally. They'd be in danger of looking like a very different force and I always associate it with Raven Guard because of the white-arm veterans. Helmet color swaps are easy, but arms and legs seem too close to RG territory in my opinion. Most likely if they were all light gray they'd just look like an allied squad."

yeah, that is what I was thinking. I am going to take one of the Vet's and replace all the red bits with yellow. I am also no longer going to do red accents on the weapons and leave them black/silver, except for some gold on vets.

I'd do the gold details on the vets in silver instead. Veterans are listed as white OR silver in the codex, which a lot of people forget about.

Since you already have silver on the bolter, you wouldn't be adding another color. And lose the red, that's mucking it up more than rhe gold.

Awesome looking army.

I'd do the gold details on the vets in silver instead. Veterans are listed as white OR silver in the codex, which a lot of people forget about.

Since you already have silver on the bolter, you wouldn't be adding another color. And lose the red, that's mucking it up more than rhe gold.

Awesome looking army.

Thanks-- I am going to start with eliminating the red first and see how it looks. Once I finish highlighting the gold I think it will be less intrusive, if not I will look at other options. I have a lot of gold bits throughout the army, so I am trying to stay objective and not just think about the work.

Silver does not seem to fit the army for some reason, but I may go white on the big shoulder pad sculpting on the vets to tone it down further. White on white seems too bland in my mind, but it might be better than way-too-busy, which they definitely are now.

I think the suggestion was not swapping yellow for purple, or vice-versa, but swapping them both out to go all white (light-gray, actually).

Considering they are a White Scars successor, it is not totally crazy-- I would just really miss my crazy colors, to be honest.

Hey all, practicing my airbrush skills on this damaged dreadnaught I got at a discount.

I still have a lot to learn, but you can't argue with the speed, that is for sure.. I have been really unhappy with how "flat" the purple and light-gray of my scheme looks on larger models- I think the airbrush will help a lot. I will be going back and highlighting my old rhinos pretty aggressively.

Since this would be a "relic" for my chapter, and was all jacked up anyway, I practiced some weathering, too.

Feels good to be painting again!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/geektom/IMG_0726_zpskzkbhnsm.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/geektom/IMG_0727_zpswtan8ggl.jpg

Same. Nice stuff here.

I haven't spotted any detail on their homeworld, however. I'd like to know more about that.

Hey, thanks. I am still working on the full IA, but in a nutshell they were a tribal, nomadic people living on a world with immense plains. Loosely modeled after Mongol society with genes and traditions tying back to Chinese heritage. White Scars successors, the WS saw a lot of themselves in the nobility and warrior spirit of the Clans they observed.

Feeling they could never be as pure as their sponsor chapter, the Storm Brothers adopted a pale gray instead of a true white as their primary color, with yellow to remind them of their endless, golden grasslands, and purple for the dark skies that threaten when deadly summer lightning storms roll across the planet. Many times, entire clans have to flee with all their possessions on horseback, racing to stay ahead as heck the voaracious grass fires that can result from lightning strikes.

Before being exposed to the vastness of the universe, that natural phenomenon was the deadliest thing they knew, so they claimed it for their own, thus the Chapter Motto: "We are the lightning strike!".

• 2 weeks later...

Long time since I stopped by this blog - good to see you working on it again! :cool.:

I agree that with red and gold, on your scheme, it's too many bright colours.

For things like the ropes, I would suggest a magenta highlighted with a little pink and glazed with purple. It'll "fit in" with the regular purple that way, but will still stand out a bit.

Next, for other details like leg straps, I'd use a dark brown or a black (i.e., neutral colours). It will still show the detail well enough, but won't "fight" with the other colours.

Finally, I would consider changing some of the gold areas to silver (a colour you already have). That will make the remaining areas of gold both stand out more, but also dominate the model less.

Anyway, I hope that helps you, and I look forward to seeing your new work. :happy.:

• 4 weeks later...

I also prefer Vanguard over Sternguard because I don't care for the tabards on the Sterns. I don't love crazy bling so I ended up splitting both the Stern and Vans with 'regular' marines to make 10-man toned down squads. 

Once again, your crazy color scheme shows its surprising strength as the yellow of the jetpacks really pops. In some ways it's almost like a unit signifier, with different colored elements being showcased on different units. They look great and not too wild as you were worried about. 

Dude that contempor is boss

Thanks- I should have guessed you would like it because I did some weathering ;-)

It doesn't stay together very well- I need to pin it. It did give me confidence that my color scheme will work on bigger models like Dreads. I am still trying to finish my "Treadnaught"- it is not quite right, yet.

My next project will be finishing my Chaplains and building a flyer.