New Army Blog: Storm Brothers (Primaris Chappy WIP on p.33)

geektom

My only useful thought on it is to lower the upper bod and feel in the gaps between the tracks and the central spine with something.

Otherwise it looks like a thoroughly grim dark version of Johnny 5 :)

http://www.chevalcorse.fr/therpf/Jonnhy5_001.jpg

I dont mind the waist, but if it were me i would add 1-2 pairs of pneumatic pistons (not sure is i use the right words here) between his body and the base of the bottom.

Great idea-- I was thinking of the same thing, but also wanted to give the impression it could spin 360 degrees. I will start playing with some plastic tubes/cylinders to see what I can come up with... 

I think, looking it over again, it has more to do with how tall it is than how thick the waist is. It only looks narrow because of how much height it's covering. I understand this is due to the shield plate in front. I wonder if that shield could become more like a siege ram, with a lower profile, and then you could drop a section or two of the waist bits. 

Once my hose-creator doohickey comes in the mail, I will also be lowering it a smidge. I don't want to give up the shield in front, but I see what you are saying. the platform is designed to have the "floor" much lower, but that just didn't look right for charging across the battlefield. He needs some off-road clearance!

This has been a good learning experience and I plan on doing the Chaplain Dread the same way... 

These are looking great buddy, loving the colour scheme, how big is the army now?

Thanks, Tyrius- it depends on how things are kitted out, but here is a list what is painted or partially painted:

Khan on jet bike (played as Ko'sorro Khan w/ Moondragon)

Chappie on bike

Chappie Terminator

Chappie with jump pack

Chappie in regular power armor

Command squad on bike (5 models, incl apothecary, company champ, company standard)

Land Raider

5 Termies

5 Assault Termies

2 Rhinos

2 x 10 Tactical Marines

1 x 5 Assault Marines w/Jump Packs

1 x 10 Vanguard Vets

1 x 6 Bike squad

1 x 10 Scouts with sniper rifles

3 Land Speeders, 1 with typhoon missiles

That is from memory, but I think I got it all.

Still on deck, in no particular order:

Dreadnaughts on treads x 3

Scout land speeder storm

Storm Talon

Storm Raven

Devastators

Sterngaurd

Bike squad #2

Tactical unit #3

Razorback

Stalker

Drop pod (x3?)

Librarian of some sort

I also have a single-figure project I want to try, more of a display piece.

There are some Army pics back on p 25, I think.

Man, the way you've got them all set up there looks like the army pics they used to have on the back of WD,

Dragonlover

I thought the same thing, so that is funny you said that. Taking army pictures is harder than it looks-- spaces between units/figures look totally different in pictures than they do when you are looking at them with your eyes.

Man, the way you've got them all set up there looks like the army pics they used to have on the back of WD,

Dragonlover

Totally agree! It's awesome. Good work! Unit photos are great, but there's nothing like a full army shot that is as effective at conveying 'feel'.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, good tips. Will definitely keep them in mind when I start work on it (probably in many months' time).

I picked up a couple of things in finishing it to make sure the doors close well while still allowing me to paint the inside... hit me up when you are ready for yours.

Looking forward to seeing the new addition to your army so Tom. Will it have the more clean look of the rest of the marines or will its descent through the atmosphere leave it heavily marked?

Good question! I think I am getting more comfortable with the idea of weathering as I have been practicing it. A drop pod has to have at least *some* weathering, right?