New Army Blog: Storm Brothers (Primaris Chappy WIP on p.33)

geektom

• 3 months later...

You're back, brother! That's exciting. They're looking great, so far. Those LS look really sweet in your signature theme. Is it just me or do they look a bit darker? I guess that could be your camera, the fact that it's just a base, or I'm just not remembering the off-white all that well. Anyway, I dig the yellow 'ribbon' around the rear bit. 

I have to admit, that banner on the bike took me off guard at first, but the more I look at it the more I think it's working. I don't recall ever seeing someone bother to model up a biker command squad in this way, so I'm very curious to see how they turn out. 

Hopefully, this is the first post in a streak of WIP shots. :D 

Hey, Jeff! Yeah, I am not sure on the banner, either. It is magnetized, so I am not stuck with it (ha ha). For now it is a place holder until I come up with a better idea for a company banner.

The gray looks darker on the land speeders because that is just the base coat- I haven't started lightening it up yet. The yellow band is diagonal on the sides as well, a la the Land Raider I did, but without the Lightning shape.

Now that I am not commuting 5 hours a day for work, I hope to get a lot more done and get back into the swing of things... Just in time for the new codex!

I too recommend the Ravenwing banner with details filed off.

Also, what? 5-hour daily commute? That's nuts.

Thanks, gents! Yeah, I actually ended up changing jobs after 13 years with my last company because they kept pushing my responsibilities farther and farther from home. Now, I make a little less but am based out of my home with almost no additional drive. That means more time for family *and* minis. Win!

....and finally caught up. One of the things I love about B&C is finding a thread like this and getting to read through it all and watch an army develop quickly. Although it does always give me the feeling mine is moving through treacle.

Really liking the army theme, colour scheme and modelling. Looking forward to seeing more as time goes on :)

• 2 weeks later...

More WIP on the bike command squad. Base coats are pretty much done. I need to do final assembling and tweaking of poses, and figure out the banner, still. I got my hands on a Ravenwings banner and it is really cool, but man, that will be a lot of careful filing to make it work.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/geektom/image.jpg1_zpsgqkx6j47.jpg

More WIP on the bike command squad. Base coats are pretty much done. I need to do final assembling and tweaking of poses, and figure out the banner, still. I got my hands on a Ravenwings banner and it is really cool, but man, that will be a lot of careful filing to make it work.

It'll be worth it, it will look much more natural than the alternative.

Hey all, I have been putting off taking a full army pic until everything is painted completely, but I realized I would be waiting forever if I kept doing that.

Sorry for the poor photography-- I cant seem to figure out how to get everything in focus at once!

It's awesome to see how this has evolved, and the fact that this amazing project is still thundering along astonishes me. Keep up the stunning work!

Thanks, everyone! The encouragement here means a lot. I have to say, even I was a bit surprised when I saw the whole crew on the table for the first time! The Storm Brothers are a real army now.

Any tips out there on taking better table-top pictures?

Sadly I am still struggling with taking single model photos, as you can see in my thread.

But loving that full army picture. It really helps define how far you have come. I think I will need to do something similar to let me see how far I have to go and what can be achieved. The unity of colour and  focus looks great in your picture. Everything looks like it belongs together. You can just imagine them deploying to a new warzone in that pic.

They really do look great, mate. Amazing how well they all tie in with each other, and things like the LR design reinforcing the different elements so it ties in well with the bikes are a great touch. I also dig those little clear stands under your Land Speeders. Do you use those in game or just for pics? Very clever, either way. I've probably seen stuff like that in kitchen stores and never thought about using them for Warhams. 

As for pics, I think you nailed it. A big one to show us the whole force, and then some 'drill-down' pics for the different sections. Not sure how else you could really do it. 

Thanks, Jeff. I use those plastic stands on my display shelves to maximize my shelf space. I get them locally from a place called S&W Plastics, but I am sure you have an equivalent near you- they are essentially just "U" shapes in various sizes, generally used in retail stores.

I wish I could get the individual models in better focus- it may be the lens on my camera. I will reach out to some friends that are more skilled than I am and see what I learn.

I'm sure a professional camera would have no problem with it, but I just use my phone so I can't help you much in that way. I do have an app that allows you to set multiple focus points, but I've never really messed with it.