[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

I have to prep for a ZM game for an ongoing campaign.

I am thinking of runing Company of Bitter Iron with Autek Mor and two units of choommortals and a dread or plasma support squad - if I can squeese one in at 1k.

I have only 2 ZM games under my belt, so ideas are welcomed ;)

How big is he game you're playing? I have a campaign game coming up, also: 1000pts and my first Zone Mortalis game! Here's the list I'm thinking of going with:

HQ
Legion Vigilator + Artificer armour, Refractor Field, Charnabal Sabre, Meltabombs

TROOPS
Tactical Squad; 10 men + Vexilla, inc. sergeant + Power weapon, Meltabombs

Tactical Support Squad; 6 men + 5 plasma guns, inc. sergeant + Artificer armour, Combi-plasma

Elites
Contemptor-Cortus + Plasma cannon, Chainfist & Plasma blaster

Apothecary + Artificer armour, Combi-plasma

Fast Attack
Seeker Squad; 7 men + 6 Combi-weapons (3 plas, 3 melta), inc. sergeant + Artificer armour, Power weapon, Melta bombs

Total = 1000pts

I've been toying with the idea of either changing the Apothecary for a custom Knight Errant with similar equipment, or to drop the Apothecary and change the Tactical Squad into a Veteran Tactical Squad (I am using the ZM Attacker FoC, so it seems a shame not to take advantage).

Edited by Emperors Teeth

I don't like the mixed combi-weapons in the Seeker squad. They have no business shooting at vehicles, IMO, so any combi-weapons you invest in should be of the plasma variety since it gets the most out of their rules.  For the sake of having a turn of anti-tank fire, you've cut their effectiveness against their killing strike target in half.

If anything, give the combi-melta to the apothecary if you're going to spend points on something like that and maybe run the support squad with meltas too.

Two plasma weapons on a Contemptor? You're going to kill it with overheats way before the opponent can.

Edited by Terminus

Yeah, splitting combi weapons doesn't really work. Unless you have a specific target that doesn't have armoured ceramite, plasmas are a better all round tool.

As for plasma overheat, unless he rolls terribly, I doubt he'll get more than 3-4 shooting phases on top of that from experience.

Guys let me ask a maybe stupid question,

but if you use an Forgefather as HQ where the hell do you drop it in and with what Equipment?

Additionally Immortals, how would you equip them when you Plan to throw them in battle via Anvillus Dreadclaw?

Edited by Silk

Guys let me ask a maybe stupid question,

but if you use an Forgefather as HQ where the hell do you drop it in and with what Equipment?

Additionally Immortals, how would you equip them when you Plan to throw them in battle via Anvillus Dreadclaw?

Forge fathers are pretty expensive, but as they gain battle smith and a servo arm, they work great inside a big transport like a spartan.

Cataphractii, Cyber Familiar, Paragon Blade/ Thunder Hammer/ Range weapon/ Digi lasers is pretty awesome.

As for the Immortals, Dreadcalws are usually better for assault units - but all vollite all the time is the best IMO ;)

Thx for the advice,

the is the Idea not soooo bad to Drop them with the Anvillus at turn 1 in the enemy deployment zone :)

Thats with the forgefather is bad, I actually don't own a Spartan, and I do not really know what HQ I should take actually, cause I plan a mixed force, out of 3 Cybots 1-2 Vindicators + X ^^

Well... Thing about an Anvilus is that they can't disembark on turn 1, but they can disembark turn two - let loose a volley of Volkite, then charge something as Chargers are Assault weapons!

Cybots are Dreadnoguhts right?

Most HQs will do fine but you need a Master of the Legion to run a rite of war (which you should probably do as they're pretty great!)

Autek Mor is an absolute BEAST. Wolf_Pack will attest to this ;) as he grants preferred enemy to his own and another unit with his Warlord Trait.

Yeah....

The problem of the Iron Father are two fold.

He doesn't have access to the same toys as a techmarine (rad grenades and conversion beamer - I would love to see other tech-toys for Iron Fathers). But most importantly, he competes with Autek mother flippin' Mor. That dude is hardcore. He's go bad ass fluff. Flings moons at Traitor Worlds for fun. He nukes those who are lax in their faith in the Imperium. He's got manly statsé But most importantly, he has a really good warlord trait that is always useful. The default Warlords traits in the heresy are like those fake driver licenses in those surpise bags I used to get as a kid. It's cool and all, but it never got me out of trouble with the law.

That being said, he can still duke it out with the best of them. the familiar is great rerolling tests and a cool 3++ is sweet, especially since it doesn't make you lose an attack like stormshields do. The servo arm gives you an instant death attack against most characters on top of duking it out with a paragon blade. He has the highest attack output of all praetor builds. This guy can do some work in melee, but that's all he ever does. Autek Mor gets work done just by virtue of being your warlord. Huge difference.

So I've been throwing around the idea of using a Proteus squadron instead of a las vindi squadron as an anti tank unit. 3 Proteus' with hull mounted TL lascannons costs 240 points more than 3 las vindicators.

Both units can shoot out 9 TL str 9 shots. I realize with the land raiders you're losing ordnance and AP1 but you're gaining a much more survivable chassis (even tougher with autosim and Ferrus) and more mobility as if you want 3 shots from a las vindi you can't move. The lascannons also have 12" more range. On top of that with vindis you have the chance of hurting yourself.

As an added bonus the proteus' would have machine spirit where as the vindis would have to pay for it.

What do you guys think?

Edited by ShadowCore67

So I've been throwing around the idea of using a Proteus squadron instead of a las vindi squadron as an anti tank unit. 3 Proteus' with hull mounted TL lascannons costs 240 points more than 3 las vindicators.

Both units can shoot out 9 TL str 9 shots. I realize with the land raiders you're losing ordnance and AP1 but you're gaining a much more survivable chassis (even tougher with autosim and Ferrus) and more mobility as if you want 3 shots from a las vindi you can't move. The lascannons also have 12" more range. On top of that with vindis you have the chance of hurting yourself.

As an added bonus the proteus' would have machine spirit where as the vindis would have to pay for it.

What do you guys think?

Solid assessment. Plus the Proteus can ferry IMMORTALS around to get into firing position.

Really though - with Head of the Gorgon, a load of units can take a Proteus as dedicated anyway, so you don't even have to suffer them taking a Heavy Support slot or be limited by the Squadron rules.

And Autek god damn Mor.

The man who single-handedly almost makes me want to play Iron Hands ;)

Hmm Okidoki, but FW still has no model from him :sad.:

And the next question would be, how do you play Autek?

With Terminators in a Spartan?

Or in a Raider?

and yes Charlo Cybots = dreadnoughts :) especially Contemptors and Leviathans ^^

Edited by Silk

What do you guys think?

Solid assessment. Plus the Proteus can ferry IMMORTALS around to get into firing position.

Really though - with Head of the Gorgon, a load of units can take a Proteus as dedicated anyway, so you don't even have to suffer them taking a Heavy Support slot or be limited by the Squadron rules.

And Autek god damn Mor.

The man who single-handedly almost makes me want to play Iron Hands ;)

Well my thinking with bringing them as a squadron is that you can buy the new command tank upgrade, giving them tank hunters for when they really wanna focus fire and bring something down.

But I do see your point for taking them as DTs. It would free up a much beloved heavy support slot.

Or in a Raider?

and yes Charlo Cybots = dreadnoughts :smile.: especially Contemptors and Leviathans ^^

Mor just flys with whatever is your nastiest combat unit. Usually this is Gorgons or Cataphractii Terminators I suppose.

Or in a Raider?

and yes Charlo Cybots = dreadnoughts :smile.: especially Contemptors and Leviathans ^^

Mor just flys with whatever is your nastiest combat unit. Usually this is Gorgons or Cataphractii Terminators I suppose.

in the Goddamn Spartan I think or?

In Raiders etc. is not really enough Space for Gorgons+ Morr :(

The big issue with squadron Transports is that they aren't dedicated, so it complicates things for reserves, and secondly, they ar squadrons. Meaning there is no flexibility in the destinations and damage will Spill over like a bad habbit of hookers and booze on the weekends.

I would flip the logic around For the price of 3 Proteus, I get 3 laser destroyer vindicators and a proteus to transport stuff ;) If you play HotG, you have access to them as dedicated, so I tend to use my Heavy Support slots for big impact models, like the Deredeo, Leviathans and sicarans, They are amazing to carry soft units like plasma support squads (which are GLORIOUS with Mor's prefered enemy)

At the end of the day, It's not a bad idea. But Not too functional either.

In small games, I run Autek with a Command squad in Cataopractii + combi weapons (get that banner bonus and WS 5 yo!) in a proteus. They usually act as a clean up crew, so they don't need the assault ramp that much (however, getting one is not a bad idea either, especially if you already have a plastic (PLEB!) landraider.

In large games, it's full complement of Gorgons (1/3 chainfists, because :cuss you heretics and your 2 wound terminators / contemptors / Knights / Super heavies) In a Spartan.

And SOON*tm it will be a glorious Mastodon, with 10 terminators and a leviathan. AND A TECH MARINE COVENANT. *Queue Black Eyed Peas -  Whatcha gonna do with all that phosphex, all that phosphex Inside your lungs? Imma make you scream, make you scream make you screeeaaaam!*

That's right. I plan on getting 4-5 repair rolls a turn + IWND and Simulacrae. What do you mean it's not fair? You just have to kill it in one turn. WHAT NOW TREACHEROUS HEATHENS, WHERE ARE YOUR CHAOS GODS NOW!?!