[HH1.0] Salamanders Tactics

Blacksails

I totally forgot to discuss Firedrakes too. 

Firedrakes = win. They're probably one of the best Terminator units aside from Justaerin and Butchers. Stupidly resilient and can go TH/SS. Either launch them from a land-based metal box or sky-based metal box and watch the tears flow. Hella expensive though. 

If you want a nigh unstoppable death-star get a Kharybdis with Firedrakes & Vulkan. A Spartan is an option but Spartans are a lot easier to disable. 

Thanks all! Especially God-Potato for that awesome awesome breakdown. Since I have limited funds being a poor college student, I'll most likely run drop pods for now. I think my next purchase will be firedrakes, because they'll be a blast to paint and awesome on the battlefield. Then maybe get the rhino squadron from FW or a Spartan (would land raider be better?). Need something to carry my sallies across the field! 

• 1 month later...

So gents. We've received some indirect buffs.

Rhinos can take pintle multi meltas

Heavy Support jetbikes- multi meltas

Most vehicles can take pintle multi meltas

As we all know the amount of multimeltas in a Salamander the list the more likely it is to be awesome.

Cuts to tacticool squads also frees up points for further enhancing pyroclasts or their steeds (two of whom received price cuts also)

Running sexy Melta toting veterans is now even sexier.

Achilles can lob different shell types, shame we can't use phosphex shells

Phobos-breacher combo is 50pts cheaper:D

Malcador squads work excellently with CoF

Antigrav skimmers (who can have multimeltas) are even cheaper

Gravspeeders = cheaper

Predator & Vindicator squads command rule synergies well with CoF.

I'm likely to not change what I take but I am hopeful to suddenly have a surplus of points to enhance my list further with more upgrades.

I assume this is widely known around here, but I just realized today how nasty a Salamanders ForgeLord is!

Forge Lord with rad 'nades attached to a Veterans squad with 2 Heavy Flamers. Anyone who charges is at -1T, thus now ID'ed by any of the 2D3 hits that might make it through the saves! :ohmy.: Of course, best used on Sniper/Outflank vets...

• 5 weeks later...

Hello!

Lovely with a tactica for the Salamanders. I have recently bought into the entire 30k setting.

I have bought the following, which are all still lying around unassembled:

Legion Champion

Master of Signal

2 Legion Apothecaries

20 MKIV Tacticals

10 Pyroclasts

5 Firedrakes

1 Contemptor dreadnought with multimelta and fist.

My question is this - how should the apothecaries (who are in power armour) be kitted out?

And what should the next purchase be? I am thinking a Sicaran tank or a Spartan...or perhaps a Rhino or two.

My thanks in advance!

Faithfully

Master Ciaphas

Depends what your units are doing for Apoths. Firstly though, unless they plan to take a bike or jump pack - ALWAYS artificer armour. Augary scanner is incredible for 5pts and if you ask me another must.  If  you think you'll see combat and need it you can take a power sword too.

Spartan and some Rhinos for sure. Give them all pintle multi-meltas as I assume you'll run the covenant of fire with this bad boy ;)

A great thing to remember with that is while you can't deep strike, you could always bring cheap vigilator to outflank any unit of your choice!

Checked the rules, other than terminators, only Independent Characters can take it (so artificer armor with iron halo would be upgraded to 2+/3++).

Praetor, Paragon Blade, Shield, Iron Halo, Mantle, Digital Lasers - 195 points for a guy who can hang with the likes of Sigismund.  The Terminator version costs the same, unless you go for Tartaros, which will be 205 points for the only 2+/3++ sweeping Terminator in the game.

The Tartaros Praetor is actually also kind of interesting, because it opens up Command Squads in Tartaros. Normally this is not a big deal, and I know people love their Firedrakes (and they are a solid option as the most survivable terminators at 2+/3++/2W), but Dragonscale storm shields actually make Tartaros terminators effectively sweeping Cataphracts, which is good for a melee unit (even with Salamanders who suck at sweeping).

5-man Command Squad with 2+/4++ and WS5 power fists all around is only 240 points.

Checked the rules, other than terminators, only Independent Characters can take it (so artificer armor with iron halo would be upgraded to 2+/3++).

Praetor, Paragon Blade, Shield, Iron Halo, Mantle, Digital Lasers - 195 points for a guy who can hang with the likes of Sigismund.  The Terminator version costs the same, unless you go for Tartaros, which will be 205 points for the only 2+/3++ sweeping Terminator in the game.

The Tartaros Praetor is actually also kind of interesting, because it opens up Command Squads in Tartaros. Normally this is not a big deal, and I know people love their Firedrakes (and they are a solid option as the most survivable terminators at 2+/3++/2W), but Dragonscale storm shields actually make Tartaros terminators effectively sweeping Cataphracts, which is good for a melee unit (even with Salamanders who suck at sweeping).

5-man Command Squad with 2+/4++ and WS5 power fists all around is only 240 points.

You can keep a handful of S6 heavy flamers for overwatch in the Tartaros units, too! Or a S5 combi-flamer or two? Either way, kinda neat.

I assume this is widely known around here, but I just realized today how nasty a Salamanders ForgeLord is!

Forge Lord with rad 'nades attached to a Veterans squad with 2 Heavy Flamers. Anyone who charges is at -1T, thus now ID'ed by any of the 2D3 hits that might make it through the saves! :ohmy.: Of course, best used on Sniper/Outflank vets...

Been discussed.  The 'launching an assault' happens after overwatch in the charge sub-phase so unless you have a time machine strapped to those rad grenades....

'Launches an assault, or is themselves assaulted...'

The other idea was, what happens if overwatch kills the unit.  Now they haven't launched an assault to trigger the rad grenades.

Edited by Sanct

Overwatch happens at step 2, which is after the step 1 declaration of charge (which meets the qualification of "launches an assault").

A unit that is forced to go to ground by overwatch is considered to have failed their charge rather than never having charged at all. I assume the same applies if the unit is destroyed. The charge began before any overwatch was fired, so the assault still happened.

Edited by Terminus

The other idea was, what happens if overwatch kills the unit. Now they haven't launched an assault to trigger the rad grenades.

While I see your point, it is important to note that the rules do not specify, contrarily to what you pretend, what 'launching an assault' refers to. The assault phase is divided in two parts : the charge sub-phase, and the fight sub-phase. Since charging is part of assaulting/being assaulted, we must (imo) conclude that the charge sub-phase is, thus, covered by the grenades' rule.

Overwatch happens at step 2, which is after the step 1 declaration of charge (which meets the qualification of "launches an assault").

The other idea was, what happens if overwatch kills the unit. Now they haven't launched an assault to trigger the rad grenades.

While I see your point, it is important to note that the rules do not specify, contrarily to what you pretend, what 'launching an assault' refers to. The assault phase is divided in two parts : the charge sub-phase, and the fight sub-phase. Since charging is part of assaulting/being assaulted, we must (imo) conclude that the charge sub-phase is, thus, covered by the grenades' rule.

P.45 3rd bullet point. "Once Overwatch is resolved, roll charge distance for the unit and, if it is in range, move it into contact with the enemy unit - this is sometimes called 'launching an assault'."

Why did I repaint my Tartaros terminators as EC? Though tbf I had not used them since I got firedrakes.

There I was, crying into my crunchy nut cornflakes about why I have 20 Salamander Tartaros terminators.

Shame they're painted right at the start of my hobby, so they look balls. any suggestions for stripping paint off resin?

Also having just acquired a new home I lack funds to make any sizeable additions to my lists. So I've assembled what I do have and am looking for feedback

I play at 2.5k and 3k

2.5k list

HQ

Artificer Praetor with the bells and whistles, running CoF (goes with pyros)

Troops

2x Rhino tacs with artificer officers and pintle multi meltas

9x Pyroclasts, Warden with MC powefist

dedicated Phobos with AC and MM.

Elites

2x Technmarine (hide in Achilles to repair)

Fast Attack

Javelin, HKS and MM

3x HF jet bikes

3x flamer outriders

HS

2x Achilles (can vary type - culverins or pintle MMs?) with incendiary rounds

2x Magnamelta predators with AC & HF sponsors

Might bump to 3k by throwing in a Falchion or Knight.

I know Achilles arent point efficient but I have two green ones and I love the models. Plus they're now 100% more Salamandery due to getting incendiary rounds for the quad gun.

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind