[HH1.0] Salamanders Tactics

Blacksails

Your warlord seems to be out of place, he is clearly tooled for melee, but doesn't have a squad to travel with. On his own someone will kill him with volume of shots, any decent melee squad will put enough wounds on him to do the same.

I agree that he is out of place.  I waffled on a number of different ways to run him, either with a pack of 3 jetbikes or with a flamer squad in a rhino.  In the end, I thought I could have him hang out with the Rapier squad somewhere in the back lines, or hanging out of LOS in my deployment zone, and basically act as a quick react force for counter-assaulting things in my back lines.  If I add a jetbike squad for him I would also need to add another troop choice.

On a scale of one to cheese, how cheese is this 2k list?

Cassian Dracos

2x Tac, rhino

6 Quad mortars with shatter/incendiary

Achilles Alpha

2x Magna melta preds

Typhon, AC

To be used against Necrons, charge from DS SM formations and tau? Like...40k cheese.

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

Nothing weird there.

CoF allows for a single Consul  apart  from the Legion Champion.

So, for example, you'd be perfectly fine to unlock it with a Delegatus instead of a Praetor, but wouldn't be able to include other Consuls except for Legion Champions.

Or you could unlock it with a Praetor and could still bring a different Consul of your choice (except Moritat of course).

Okay, I need some sally advice, so I figured this is the place to ask :) I'm building up to a CoF list with Drakes, Mortars and tacticals. However, its going to be a while until I have all the models for the full list. In the meantime, I've just got the BoP set and Vulkan. I'm seriously considering ditching the tacticals and using marksman vets with flamers as troops in a primarch's chosen list with Vulkan. So, tactical squads or vets? What are best, and how would I use the vets?

Vets vets vets a million times vets.

You get S6 heavy flamers with pseudo-rending. You can also load up on S5 combi flamers for the units too.

Seems like vets are the way to go, then. :smile.:

Would you really go with heavy flamers as the heavy weapon? Even when plasma and melta is on offer? And how many combi-flamers is recommended?

Thanks for the feedback!

Vets vets vets a million times vets.

You get S6 heavy flamers with pseudo-rending. You can also load up on S5 combi flamers for the units too.

Seems like vets are the way to go, then. :smile.:

Would you really go with heavy flamers as the heavy weapon? Even when plasma and melta is on offer? And how many combi-flamers is recommended?

Thanks for the feedback!

All are solid choices, but sniper makes you premier at removing infantry, so it's best to help that by using the flame templates to get loads of potentially AP2 hits.

Also, while not the best place for Salamanders, you can aways throw in a couple power weapons and only shoot flamers & bolt pistols, then charge in to finish off the unit.

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings brothers! Long time lurker, but been playing salamanders for a couple years since book 2 dropped. Thought I'd share some things that work well for me :D. Cortus dreads w double fists & inbuilt flamers. I typically run a pair of these, 3rd member of the talon is MM and a fist w grav. The s6 baths followed by s10 beatdowns are wonderful for the good cost of the cortus, I can throw em at most units with confidence they will either kill or take a significant chunk out of it, almost always make their pts back. Drake's/praetor/Vulkan w Spartan. Nothing really new, we all know the load out and how nasty this unit is ;). I do often buy them w fists and shields opposed to hammers just to shave pts. Concussive usually doesn't do a lot for me that s8 ap2 wouldn't have done regardless. Been thinking about adding chainfist or 2 for cracking armor, but again, that many hammers usually do that too. Pyros! I honestly reach for this squad before drakes when building lists. They do so much work for me against everything from ork mobs to gal vorbak to dreadnoughts. Autohitting s5 fistfuls of dice will remove stuff. Nothing special in melee, but a MC fist on the warden is nice, and they can often tank with artificer armor til backup arrives. A favorite gimmick is stick a forge lord w rad grenades and a boarding shield with them. Nothing but some hardcore deathstars and walkers will survive to charge that unit :P Edited by Fireborne

Good tips Fireborne.

I am taking 3k of Salamanders out tomorrow, against Mechanicum or Thousand Sons.

http://i.imgur.com/PY4HXYS.jpg

Will post a batrep up to let people know how badly I get thrashed :smile.:

Tabled today eldar thanks to the inferno moritat. Up against D spams? use a combined arms detachment to field a typhon and bulk out with allied detachments of 1 tactical, 1 centurion and 1 MC fusion moritat.

I have the newest red books. Are you not playing a Legion army? I could have missed something, but that rule against Moritats seems clear? I'd like to be wrong, those new models look pretty sweet and I'd like to include on in every list

And even if you found a way to use a Moritat with allies, they wouldn't be able to take the inferno pistol option right?

Salamanders cant take Moritats. 

I just thrashed by Mechanicum. List above facing

A Magos Prime with...like all the good stuff - 4 bloody cyber occularis

2 Dominus Magi

2x Castellax, maulers

3x Castellax, Darkfire and one Siege Wrecker

2x 3 Thallax, Photon Thrusters

20 Tech Thralls, RoP, Carapace

Lightning with 2x Kraken, 4x Sunfury 

4x Myrmidon - Imploder, 4 irradiators - Arvus Lighter w/lascannons

1 Thanatar

Knight Styrix

So three bad things happened. We rolled mission three of whatever book - Ambush! So one side was automatically going to be at a disadvantage. I then rolled to go second, so I was chosen to be in the middle of the board with a circular deployment zone. I then failed to seize the iniative.

So turn one my Falchion got wiped by the Knight because stupidly I didn't put a Rhino infront of it. The resulting dspolosion took immobilised my Achilles Alpha, which meant night 900 points of my army didnt even get any shots off. Even with the Rhino, the deployment mean the Knight was in turn 1 charge range of *any* unit in my army.

Pyroclasts are next to useless against Mechanicum. S5 flamers are crap, S6 meltas are even worse. I am almost never going to take them against Mechanicum. I'm going to take a lot more plasma next time, or at least sponsons on my predators to help bathe things in S6.

Generally I suffered as I lacked the firepower to dent his army - but one Hero Dread wrecked a 3 unit squad of Castellax single handedly and the Thanatar. While blinded. Salamanders represent! 

Drakes would tear them apart though, I might take Drakes next time. Lots of dreadnoughts too - hitting first in melee is a godsend it really is. Javelins are quite good too - 3 S8 shots, all ignoring Castellax armour for 75 points? Winner winner chicken dinner. 

Overall though, I wager if I'd got a more even deployment and mission and got even a single Falchion blast out, I'd have stood a vastly vastly better chance. The 20 S8 shots from the quad guns would also have tidily wrecked the knight without breaking a sweat. 

Specifically, Primary Detachments that are Salamanders cant take Moritats so that leaves Allied Detachments with a single HQ slot which Moritats cant fill.

So effectively, no Salamanders Moritats.

Specifically, Primary Detachments that are Salamanders cant take Moritats so that leaves Allied Detachments with a single HQ slot which Moritats cant fill.

So effectively, no Salamanders Moritats.

Yes exactly. For a minute there I thought I had missed some big change.

Hey everyone,

I am playing a salamanders 3k army later this week. I read the blog up tell now and got a lot of good advice.

I play WE and IW. I Havnt had the pleasure of facing a salamander army yet.

What are some good tips against them?

Toughest units?

Avoid the flamers? haha?

Edited by montambro

If he has a lot of flamers, your Inductii are gonna have a whale of a time :p

Pyroclasts would probably hurt you real good, with a Forge Lord they're wounding on 2s with a boatload of hits. Heavy flamers start ID'ing you so Gahlans super 4+FNP is nuked. You also have to get through a 2+ save, with probably enough attacks to make it even after overwatch tbh.

Whats your list?

Here is my 3k list: ROW: The Crimson Path

HQ:

Legion Praetor 175 pts

Artificer armor, digital lasers, iron halo, master crafted power axe, melta bombs

Gahlan Surlak 110 pts

Legion Chaplain 130 pts -artificer armor, jump pack, melta bombs, refractor field, crozius

Elites

Apothecary detatchment x 2 (115 pts) 1 w/ jum pack 1 w/ artificer armor

Legion quad mortar (140 pts) 2 x mortars shatter shells

troops:

Legion Assault squad (360 pts)

19 x marines 1 x sgt

4x power axes with marines

sergeant w/ power axe, melta bombs, artificer armor

Inductii squad (292 pts)

18 x marines 1 x sergeant

chain axes additional ccw vexilla

sergeant w/ artificer armor, melta bombs, power fist

egion tactical squad (305 pts)

19 x marines 1 x sergeant

chain axes additional ccws legion vexilla</p>

sergeant w/ artificer armor, melta bombs, power fist

heavy support:

Spartan 375 pts armored ceramite, dozer blade, flare shield, quad lascannons, TL heavy bolter

Spartan 375 pts armored ceramite, dozer blade, flare shield, quad lascannons, TL heavy bolter

Sicaran venator 215 pts armored ceramite, twin linked bolter

LOW: Angron

3003 pts

Tactics:

Angron, Preator, and apothecary with tactical squad in a Spartan. Surlak, and inductii in a Spartan. Chaplain with assault Marines. Spartans push forward, Assault Marines push around outer edge looking for tacticals/heavy weapon squads. Venator tries to tie up a super heavy. Mortars try and kill light vehicles and or troops. Assault when ever able. Let me know what you think.

Or I can take my IW. Either would be fun. But I want to try my WE against his salamanders

Heres my IW.

HQ:

145 pt Legion Praetor

artificer armor, combi plasma, iron halo, melta bombs, power axe, warsmith

135 pt legion siege breaker

artificer armor, refractor field, power axe, melta bombs

Elites:

110 pt apothecary detachment (1 per blob squad)

2 x apothecaries

artificer armor

160 pt legion quad mortars (mass phosphex)

2 x battery

phosphex shells

160 pt legion quad battery (mass phosphex)

2 x battery

phosphex shells

160 pt contemptor cortus dred

chainfist with inbuilt bolter

kheres assault cannons

troops:

265 pt legion tactical squad

19 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, power fist, melta bombs)

nuncio vox

265 pt legion tactical squad

19 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, pfist)

nuncio vox, melta bombs

220 pt legion tactical squad (hold in back field for last minute objective grabbing)

9 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, pfist, melta bombs)

nuncio vox

rhino

multimelta

doze blade

Fast attack:

230 pt primaris lightning strike fighter (tank hunting)

battle servitor control

ground tracking auguries

2 x kraken missile

twin-linked lascannons

150 pt outrider bike squadron (scout forward, the flat out, then allow for maximum iron fire).

5 x scout bikes

heavy support:

310 pt legion artillery squadron

2 x medusa

120 pt legion whirlwind scorpius

2 x twin linked bolters

LOW:

565 pt Legion Fellblade

armored ceramite

legion crew

2995 points

Let me know what you think.