[HH1.0] Salamanders Tactics

Blacksails

I think Tartaros have no value for Salamanders. The big benefit is the ability to sweep, and we all know how great that works out for us. They are just weaker Cataphractii in this case.

Might as well make them go after soft targets since they are not as durable.

Edited by Wolf_Pack

What's the consensus on Pyroclasts? What makes them work and what can do they well? Obviously they have to stay away from combat at all costs (one attack each, ouch!) what kind of delivery works? Any support officer/consul works well with them?

Apothecary for sure, as with thier nifty 5++ against Flamer/ Melta/ Plasma/ Volkite they are basically Terminators on the defensive without the need for an expensive Primus medicae.

Master of Signals could be very nice to ensure those little Meltas hit home too.

They are a strange unit because they need to be in the enemies face to work - but do not like assault! In covenant of fire you can take em in troops (and should to work around the weird restrictions of the rite) but they also can't deep strike then...!

Dedicated Land Raider Proteus is a pretty cool option, give it triple Lascannons to add to the Anti AV fun. If you want, you can give it the scout upgrade and still have room for an Apothecary - OR a different independant character with a boarding shield, this way they can negate a charge against them and Overwatch with some heavy flamers.

I am determined to use Pyroclasts.

My current, rampant wishliting is 9 rapiers (3:6 Quad to LDA) supplemented by two squads of Pyros in Phobos Raiders.

It is like reverse hammer and anvil, I want them to get caught between the sickening firepower of 9 rapiers and 19 S5 templates.

The downside being I need to buy two Phobos raiders and 9 rapiers...

Plus I can use the Phobos for terminator assault lists.

Question - I am planning a 2.5k tomorrow at the local geedubs. I have gone full lollerskates and created the Salamamders Siegebreaker Cohort, which is:

Firedrake Deathstar (Incl Praetor, Primus Medicae and Zeroth Conductor shield) in Stormlord

Tactical tax with multimelta rhinos - melta bombs and a fist/sword

3 heavy flamer jetbikes

Heavy flamer javelin (These guys do anti infantry)

Now with the spare points I am wrestling with the below:

2x Magnamelta Preds with heavy flamer sponsons, ac

OR

3x Quad Guns with shatter and incendiary

Thoughts?

I expect to be facing the latest deep strike flavours of 40k so the defensive firepower of the predators are enticing. Bathing hammernators in a S9AP1 blast and two S6 templates ... yummy

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

Pyros: Small are fine as long as you have adequate transport for them. Apothecaries too for the win.

Firedrakes: If in a Land Raider, 5 is all you can fit - otherwise, bump the numbers up a bit to account for stray firepower/ your ride being blown up. Remember, against a powerfist 2W and FNP means nothing - so be careful who they fight. WS5 and 3++ means they deal more damage than they take for sure though. They kick face against a lot of Primarch's they can concuss and tank forever.

Hail!

I have also begun my sojourn into the Cult of Fire, and have bought and assembled the following:

1 Legion Champion

1 Master of Signal

2 Apothecaries (one with a power sword)

10 Tactical mkIV w. Vexillia, Sgt w. powerfist & combi-melta

10 Tactical mkIV w. Vexillia & Sgt w. power sword & combi-melta

10 Pyroclasts w. Sgt w. powerfist 

5 Firedrakes

Unassembled I have

1 Contemptor Dreadnought w. multi-melta & dreadnought close-combat weapon

1 Limited Edition Praetor in Cataphractii w. thunderhammer & combi-volkite

1 Rapier Quad Launcher

I have just started painting the first five Tacticals (and am having a blast with them), and am wondering what I ought to acquire next. Given that it takes time to get the delivery, I might as well order "soon" as painting ought to be done in a month or two. I am thinking of some of the following:

Land Raider Proteus

The Burning of Prospero (to get some of the juice mkIII as well as the Custodes and Sisters as allies

2 Rapier Quad Launchers

Extra arms for the Contemptor Dreadnought

The Contemptor I have is as yet unassembled, and I would like to magnetize the arms - anyone have suggestions on which size magnets are needed...and which extra arms might be "best" to get? Lastly, I have also been considering adding an Imperial Knight to the mix...any thoughts on which Knight-class might be the best? I am, btw, hoping for plastic Deimos-pattern Rhinos, in the "near" future, so am not too tempted to get the resin ones from Forge World just yet.

My thanks in advance.

Master Ciaphas

Quad mortars are definitely a good staple for any legion, as they will be great for both anti tank and anti troops.

The Proteus is great transport for a short ranged shooty unit like the Pyroclasts.

Prospero is a great way to get more flexible bodies. You can make a cmand squad, a support squad, tacticals, vets, or seekers.

But I think at this point you'll want armoured support after the quand mortars.

Thank you very much for the reply, Wolf_Pack! After I wrote the post, I cast a glance at the FW website, and re-discovered the Legion Sicaran MBT (though the Venator also looks juicy!) I would agree, though, that I need some armour in there soon. For some reason, I really not see Fast Attack as being a particular part of the Salamander theme...but I might be wrong?