Damn! What a beast!

I love the bitterness and hatred that the background conveys. He is like an IW that has been turned up to 11.

The shield is totally brutal. It looks like he has ripped the front of a tank/killacan/dreadnaught straight off and then used it to single handedly bludgeon his way through a fortress wall. The reinforced servos helping him carry it make it look even more imposing. The meteor hammer is a nice touch too.

PS. Happy Birthday to Noctus yes.gif

Thank you, everyone.  :)

Amazing.

In games, Will he be a breacher sergeant or a siege breaker?

Siege breaker seems more likely considering his age and background.

Breacher Sergeant Barus has zero interest in anything, including larger level tactical movements, other than a singular focus upon breaking and killing. His nominal rank as a Senior NCO within the XIV is based solely on his ability to shatter any defensive line the enemy may pose, and an exceptional ability to survive where others do not, while maintaining a barely nominal respect for orders and rank. That alone has ensured his rank, his survival, and his use as a weapon to be wielded against the foes of the XIV Dragoons. Had it not been for these abilities, Dragoon-Captain Mahdra would have had him shot for incompetence long ago.

(Note: The following model was crafted for Noctus Cornix, for his birthday. Noctus created the fluff to go along with him. Make sure to tell the old man Happy Birthday. ;) )

gallery_37532_8712_11117.png

gallery_37532_5424_25119.jpg

I hate them. With every breath that leaves me I curse their name and with every beat of my twin hearts I scorn their existence. The VII Legion, the bastard children of Dorn.

Do I hate them because of Perturabo? I respect the Iron Lord and I have proudly followed his every edict even as it led me to strangle my own kindred at Blood Lottery or slaughter my cousins on Istvaan. Yet my hatred is my own, and no other can claim ownership of it. They have earned my scorn long before we ever found our liege-lord, before I ever even set foot off Terra to sail across the stars.

Have you ever heard of Roma? Of course you haven’t. It’s just a name now, a title of conquest no doubt held with great honour aboard the Phalanx. That honour should have been ours, won with the blood of my brothers and the sweat of our brow. It began with the declaration of war on the Ursh Empire, the final push to conquer that which the Emperor deemed his rightful domain. Of course the lands of Ursh were vast, spanning across the entire Eastern hemisphere along one giant body of land and several islands. The warlords of Ursh cut their own slab of Terra by use of skilled mercenaries, an asset the Emperor quickly sought to cripple. The I, the II, the V. Each of them were spread across the border, laying siege to their own fortress with great success. Even the VI were holding their own well enough, the crazy mutts. Nothing like they are today, primed and proper dogs now... But it fell to us and the III to destroy the Palace Fortress of Roma. The Roma Wind Riders were notorious in their field-craft, ariel combatants like you would have never seen. They were a key factor to the power of the Urshen generals, and we were going to butcher them... But what no one had planned on was the fortifications.

Deep in the core of that fortress lay an orbital defense field, a shielding system that at the time we had nothing to overcome it. Our weaponry back then was pitiful to what we had now, useless antiquated garbage. And so when we stormed up that mountain, thinking we could take the fortress only to find that we couldn’t lay a scratch on it? What could we do? The only thing we could, of course. Entrench.. For weeks we were subjected to their bombing raids, ripping apart our artillery, burning my brothers alive in their own bunkers and turning them to pink mist in the wake of a new crater. I lost so many brothers at Roma, brothers I had trained with, my true kindred taken from the same tribe as I.. All dead. And then they come on their birds of black and gold, the newly birthed VII Legion. And what marched behind them, a God Machine of the Titanicus. It ripped the orbital shielding apart like it was nothing and without a word the VII Legions swooped in over the fortified walls and stormed the Palace spires.

It took us three hours before we could even breach the wall, only to be met with Urshen techno-barbarians eagerly waiting in ambush.. But we pushed ahead, and on we marched into the subterranean complex below. It was like Hell under there. The Ursh warlords had no understanding of appreciation for their own men. They threw them at us in droves. The blood had literally flooded the complex until it was to our ankles. They used piles of their own corpses and barricades and booby-trapped their own comrades to break our shield walls… When we finally found the Warlord hidden below. He had already killed himself, slit his own throat rather than taste our steel or be taken prisoner… We emerged from that subterranean charnel pit, broken, bloodied, and empty handed.

And who was honoured on that day for taking the spire towers and hanging the Imperial banners from the battlements? The VII Legion of course, commended by the Emperor himself before the Imperial Assembly.. And who honoured my brothers and I for our trials? Who mourned or paid respects to my kindred who were left to rot on that forsaken mountain? Not one damn person… They could not even take pride in the glory they stole from us, standing silently and uncomfortably before the onlookers as they were glorified for their first taste of conquest.. They knew that the honour was not theirs. They knew they were not deserving of it, and yet they stood and said nothing all the same..

- Recovered memoirs of Breachmaster Sochei Barus, XIV Dragoons, IV Legion (Deceased)

::::Recovered recording:::Data-Stack 541-81-0::::Noospheric interface complete:::::processing request::::::Granted:::::

gallery_37532_8712_570710.png

gallery_37532_8712_338278.pnggallery_37532_8712_223329.png

[Pict Capture DX/097-11-54] - Breachmaster Sochei Barus, The Blood Grieves

+OD-Day plus 40+

Though not as ancient at the ‘Old Dog of Terra’, Sochei Barus stands as one of the eldest of the IVth Legion, and perhaps one of the most poisonous. The last surviving child to originate from the ‘Blood Grieves’, Barus heralded from a techno-tribe that scorned the use of ranged weaponry in superstitious spite to the surrounding gun-tribes. Instead they were masters of crude yet effective augmetics, destroying their flesh and bones to raise hands of steel and crush their foes in the most brutal and personal way possible. And yet for all their strength that their whining and sparking servos granted them, it was nothing that could hold them against the warriors in black MK II warplate. The proud and once unyielding people of the Blood Grieves were brought to heel like dogs in humiliating defeat, churned to pulp on the field of war with artillery and bolter fire with no room for honour or even a decent death. In this all Barus knew as a child was the shame of defeat, his people reduced to ruin like marks on an abacus.

Scorn built within the child for the shameful display his people were treated, then taken as a prize of war from his family with the rest of the boys. He was mutilated and inducted into the IVth Legion of dark steel armour, his crude bionics replaced with the cold and refined lethality of the ‘Imperium’s’ techno-sages. Soon Barus would learn to shun the imagined honour of his people in place for the calculating ruthlessness of the war machine, no longer seeing the world as a place rife with the war of Tyrants but rather the rightful estate of the One True Tyrant. He no longer had need for honour, but he would know pride and he would know bitterness all the more.Many scholars believe that the blood-feud between the IV and VII Legion was sparked by the animosity between their Fathers, but in truth this was only to fan the flames of a scorn that was already burning beneath the skin since the very inception of Dorn’s children. At the siege of Roma the IV Legion suffered heavy casualties, unable to punch through the shielding domes that layered over the hilled fortress. Weeks had passed and the IV Legion had mounted a heavy toll of their own numbers, the siege seeming hopeless until the newly birthed VII Legion came on howling storm birds at the heel of an ancient golden God Machine that lanced through the city’s shielding where the IV Legion could not have down with all the might at their disposal. After terrible and grueling days of close quarters combat, the fortress of Roma was finally taken, but it would be the VII Legion who would be recognized for that victory, not the IV.From that day onward Barus had known only hatred his supposed brothers, spurned by the loss of his kindred and the stolen glory that was rightfully theirs. With hatred as his fuel the soldier in dark armour would prove himself to become a monster of siege warfare, serving in some of the most terrible breaching attacks the Imperium had seen. The conquest of the Obsidian Fortress, the slaughter of Monachia IV, the Peerless Walls of the Screaming Queen. Each and every time he stood in the thickest of the fight where survival was all but impossible, yet on he marched suffering grievous wound after as another with all the concern for his own body as the extinct people of his tribe. Brought time and again at the cusp of death yet each time refusing entombment into a sarcophagus, Barus has become a monster of the Legion, a true solider of iron with only bitterness and oil to fuel him onwards where blood had dried out long ago.Siege Master Barus died as he would have wanted, leading the spearhead of Lion’s Gate on the 41st day. The exact nature of his death is unknown as the body was mutilated by an Imperial Fist recovery team one month after the siege had ended, but it is said that when they found the body he was still standing where all others had fallen, servo’s locked in place and the echo of his accursed spiteful laugh still in the ashen air.

Today is my birthday as well.

Thank you very much for that perfect gift.

(Note: The following model was crafted for Noctus Cornix, for his birthday. Noctus created the fluff to go along with him. Make sure to tell the old man Happy Birthday. msn-wink.gif )

Hey, I'm not that old! :P

Thanks, everyone. Glad you all love the writing!

Hopefully Noctus is happy with his present, but I personally don't like it. The shield seems oversized and looks far too Ork-ish for my tastes, as does the right shoulder pad.

But yeah, apparently, it's just me who isn't keen ^_^

The story however... well, that's a completely different story (:P). I love it. Belated happy birthday, Noctus, and thanks for writing more awesome fluff :)

Again, thanks everyone!

@Noctus: Yes, yes you are. Don't forget your metamucil today...  :P

@Paladin and everyone else wondering: Head is an Iron Hand upgrade helm, torso was a finecast Techmarine. Legs were from a HH Iron Father, the shield arm consists of a bunch of Deff Dread parts, a sensor cover from a land speeder, and a spotlight. The morningstar arm consists of Huron Blackhearts' arm, a DA Termie mace, and a world eater meteor hammer. The backpack was a leftover from a Grindhouse Games Allied power suit.

@Ludo: I think a coat of paint will help remove much of the orky looks. I wanted to make a model that contrasted from the clean bionics you often see, as sometimes such bionic monsters look far too close to Iron Hands for my taste. So, I aimed for rough bionics, and a character who cares little for clean lines or, well, anything, other than being armed and armoured well enough to crash though everything he encounters, no matter the injury, and equipment that can stand more abuse than his frail flesh could. All that matters to Barus is death, his or his enemies. The rudimentary servitor-esqe bionics, i think, help this image.

Again, I think he'll come together great with a coat of paint. More so, when he has a squad around him.  :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As ever I am blown away by the originality and awesome that this thread contains. If not immedietly obvious, please know that this thread was major inspiration for mine and Arkhan's own Heresy Survival thread.

R

• 1 month later...

+++Rebirth+++

gallery_24723_6958_199758.jpg

"The faces of our shields are the frontiers of the Imperium"

Attributed to Captain Rohr

Alesian Extermination 997.M30

gallery_24723_8979_181165.jpg

Pic Ref: Siege of Terra/Mark OD-Day + 9

gallery_24723_8979_239013.jpg

Pic Ref: Siege of Terra/VII Legion/Command Section-187

gallery_24723_8979_298982.jpg

Pic Ref: Siege of Terra/VII Legion/Line Command/1LT Ulricht

gallery_24723_8979_352910.jpg

Pic Ref: Siege of Terra/IX Legion/Rank-Name Unknown/Processing Inquiry

gallery_24723_8979_170082.jpg

Pic Ref: Siege of Terra/V Legion/Rank-Name Unknown/Processing Inquiry

gallery_24723_8979_135458.jpg

Pic Ref: Data Corruption...Data Corruption

gallery_24723_8979_144798.jpg

Pic Ref: Unknown...

Record Marked Inconcessus/Slated for Destruction

Got it! I should have read the numerals.

Also, looking over your pict-captures again I really like the IX Legionary with the sang guard bits and mk II armor. It's a great combo and I am looking forward to seeing him painted.

The opening quote made me grin, very fitting. Awesome conversions and your attention to detail is phenomenal, man. The vexilla on the squad leader is an imaginative echo of the THG symbol.

What I like is that this update brings us one step closer to seeing Rohr and his retinue. ;)

Finally!

I can't even discribe proberly how happy I am.

But let me try it that way:

I made my account on this forum with but one purpose in my mind. I wanted to cheer you up by saying "Give us more " a few posts earlier.

And now it has started again.

YES!

• 2 weeks later...

I already have the power armor bug; thanks for making me want to get into 30K when it comes out for the Wolves!

Also, where did you learn to model?  I think your posing throughout this thread is so amazing, you seem just like MaveriK in our forum!

I see I will need to step up my modeling and posing games!  Thank you for that!

Archived