Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

All of these great wip logs, I'm surprised I didn't discover this earlier! I absolutely live your WE especially that contemptor, it reminds of the contemptor from the cover of betrayal!

Flint, I knew you were the master of the night lords but your models are completely blew me out of the water! I might have to steal the idea if using the raptor heads for my 30k night lords. I also like the ponytail idea. The blue you have for your night lords is perfect color, if you don't mind telling, what is your recipe?

Bros... Did a Templar. His banner requires some interesting angles for taking photos, but I think it came out alright.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/907/M5exfW.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/908/0rkjit.jpg

@ Thousand Eyes - Me too. I'm so stuck in the AoD, Red and Brass says Thousand Sons to me.

@ Hydra - Cool! Its always awesome to hear I inspire.

@ Marshall - Don't mind at all, its super simple, b/c I'm lazy.

All paints are Vallejo... air?

1.) Basecoat with a 50/50 mix of black and Blue Angels

2.) Layer with solid blue angels

3.) Top end layer of French blue

3.5) Wash with drakenhoff in the recesses.

4.) Edge highlight with 50/50 french/ice blue.

If any of those are looking too bright, you can knock them down a peg with a Drakenhoff wash.

Ahhh, so you do remember where the black paint pot is after all biggrin.png

Not bad over all. The eyes and gold came out particularly well. Freehanding is coming along well, though a few of the letters could use some cleaning around the edges. That brown mark on the banner has the dreaded 'coffee stain' edges to it, but I'm not entirely positive on how to avoid that 100% of the time myself. Washes can be tricky mellow.png

A curious note on the cross: you may want to try inverting the colors, to have a dark red border and a bright red center. A lot of freehanded logos have a dark border, partly to make the emblem pop, and partly because traditional edge highlighting doesn't exactly make a whole lot of sense for a completely flush surface anyway. Not that edge highlighting makes a whole lot of logical sense in general mind you, beyond making the model 'pop.'

On a different note, Google-translate says that banner reads "I fear the dark." Either it's wrong, or you're being cheeky.

Cool Templar, Flint! Makes me want to finish my cjaplain. I too am curious at to what you want the faux Latin to say. It's been years since I had Latin in high school, but I know it doesn't make sense from a puritan pov. Something like Terror without the Dark? Enlighten us! (See what I did there? ;) )

Templar looks good :)

Interesting to see it with a Warden axe instead of a sword, but it is cool. I also very much like the muted gold on the banner top.

If you do not drill the bolt-holes in the banner, I would suggest going around the circles and halfway up the wash marks with a darker brown and maybe a very thin line around the black holes with a grey colour. It would help reinforce the burnt parts and the grey would be like an ash/soot from the ends of the threads. Would also make the holes stand out more.

Gem lenses are ace. thumbsup.gif

"Why do you do that, Templar? Are you afraid of dropping your sword?"

~Jubal Khan, Lord of Summer Lightning, The Deafening Silence Before the Thunder, The Swift Death that Comes with Laughter

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/911/hq9rAn.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/907/ViwXzD.jpg

Be still my beating heart...wow

A Crow of Ash and Cinder

"You ask why, Blood Angel? My own Father tried to murder the lot of us at the 42nd gate. He was in no danger, an immortal demigod making war, splendid and halcyon as we were murdered under his feet by the wrath of the Unsighted. Those who were left were flung to the far reaches in useless patrol fleets."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/907/Kjvjhb.jpg

"My gene-kin were honorable hunters, tech adept warriors... not skulking cowards. The Warmaster has given me new purpose, burning the shadow-loving craven from their benighted holds..."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/910/Ezw5Qw.jpg

"The Ninth were fools if they thought any of my true kinsmen would submit. Are you so eager to die for a Father that doesn't know your name? Come then. You won't be the first Angel I've burnt to cinder."
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/903/jHEo7k.jpg

~Hasiqq No'mai, Pyrecrow of the Xerian Dust

Replies!

Krieg - Thanks man! I've tried so many recipes for power weapons, but its always nice to hear when someone likes one.

Recon - All the painted ones? That would take a lot more space than I have readily available I'm afraid happy.png

Firepower - Oh, I occasionally dust it off biggrin.png I will defs give the inverted cross idea a try. That might look pretty awesome. My heresy Templar go by the motto "Nos Terror non Tenebris," which, is vaguely (and unrealistically literally) "We Fear no Dark". That wouldn't fit all the way on the banner though, so I figured "Fear no Dark" would suffice.

Augustus - Oh, from an actual grammatical point of view, its terrible. But Nos Terror Non Tenebris sounds cooler than Timemus No Tenebris.

Dantay - Thanks man! I will admit to a predilection for axes.

STD - Thanks! I should probably get back to painting more of them. They are supposed to be my gaming legion.

CkpMax - Thanks! I'll do my best to actually stop painting on-offs and work on an actual army I play with

B1soul - Hah, my Templar feel legit when Firepower admits they're "not bad," my White Scar feels more legit with your endorsement biggrin.png

Atia - Thanks girl!

Excellent mini, Flint. And the fluff is interesting! It had me wondering fora while who or what this guys is, and particularly which Legion he belonged to. The XIX marking seemed like a dead give-away, but then I saw what looks like a trickly of blood running from the lower left corner of the XIX, and thought "hmmm maybe that's done in mockery?". A little far-fetched perhaps, but the characters you've built over the past year all have that je ne sais quoi that keeps you wondering. In the end, The Psycho's guess is as good as mine.

Keep it up please! I don't know if I speak for others, but I definitely miss your regular updates and presence on the forum. Or perhaps I'm not looking in the right places? 

Morning! Thanks for all the lovely comments so far.

DimDim - Thanks man! It's really my favorite thing to hear that I've inspired someone. It's so hard to keep the hobby mojo strong, it feels like a real accomplishment ^_^

Kylo Pyscho - Yep, that pretty much nails it. He's just a fun little one off. Librarians are probably my favorite of all the consul types, but unfortunately I don't often get a chance to use them in a game (especially since they've been downgraded to a max ML of 2... lame >_< )

Anywho, I had this pair of legion champion legs sitting around and a few of those Alpha legion helms left over. In a day of boredom I was checking out out tutorial section and I found an awesome one for "Raven black" which is something I've always wanted to be able to do. And so, with a couple hours on my day off, Hasiqq was born :D

Recon - Oh, I'm always around here somewhere, but glad to hear!

Krieg - Decently simple actually. My Templar are blue/black with gray-blue highlights (Fenrisian gray, I believe). Hasiqq is that same blue-black, just highlighted with actual blue (VAC French Blue and Glacier Blue) and following this tutorial by Skittle http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/306929-painting-raven-black/

His highlights are a lot neater and more professional than mine. Painting good looking dark black is all about super precise, super super sharp and tiny highlights, but I think Hasiqq came out pretty well as a first time one off. 

Augustus - Thanks! I try to make my fluff as dramatic as possible. 

Hasiqq's XIX is indeed a mockery of the Ravenguard, since he considers himself old 19th. Between Corax's inexplicable mad-on for Terran XIXth and the Council of Nikea forcing him to shelve his pyromantic gifts, Hasiqq was done with that loyalist nonsense. Think of him like a counterpart for Rubio of Malcador's cronies (so cooler and not lame :D )

Oh, I'm decently active on here, I just consistently forget that not everyone can see all my general hijinks and tomfoolery in the mod lounge. I'll do my best to be out and about more ^_^

Atia - Thanks girl! Wasn't the psychic hood a bit of a give away? 

That librarian is inspired, no doubt about it.

I don't think i've seen your praevian and castellax before, is the castellax a kitbash of the fw and gw version?

Evening bros. I need a few opinions on this. I really want some Word Bearers for allies for my Cult Horde. Which shade of red works the best? I'm partial to the middle one myself. 

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/910/u7FR9y.jpg

I've heard that FW's metallic red scheme for the Word Bearers described as "too fiddly" before. I can say that is defs not the case. All three of those guys were stupid easy to do, and I think they all look pretty awesome. Plus I really like the duality of the new B@C minis with the old school clotted blood metal scheme. Anywho, let me know what you think!

Replies!

@ Barabbas - That's from the Alpha Legion helms. I love all of them, but that one in particular is my favs.

@ Lokkorex - That's exactly what it's a kitbash of. I never liked the spindly little legs and arms of the FW Castellax, but I don't like the silly dome helm of the Kastelan. They look a lot more solid with just different limbs.

@ LYD - Thanks man! I will admit (as sweet as Dantioch is) I am always drawn more to the idea of traitors from the traditionally loyalist legions. The Ravenguard and White Scars just seem so perfect for defectors.

Archived