Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

Evening folks!

Just finished up the third of five of my death company. They're ever so slowly coming together. 

I'm kinda fond of this first shot. It looks oddly statuesque :D

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/540/yzbCyI.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/631/9vYXaz.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/OydX7t.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/Mt4Nfe.jpg

Besides that, I'm just starting to put the basecoats on my Word Bearer for this month's march of legions. He's been interesting to paint so far. 

Replies!

@ Salvation - S'my favorite thing about the Luna Wolves. Their color scheme is pleasantly reminiscent of oreo ice cream :D

@ Brother Talon - I'm thinking some overlapping grays, blacks and browns. Calth was a pretty unattractive, scorched ruin after the 17th came to town, correct?

@ BCK - Thanks! I'm not great at it yet, but glad to hear there's a (positive) difference!

@ Slipstreams - Oh that's a good idea! But which Word would it be, if a Word Bearer had to pick just one? Lorgar has so many.

@ Augustus - Ah, but you won't be able to see what I did there after I paint his camo!

@ Atia - *snort* you totes did that on purpose. Are you trying to summon Forte? It's like the Batsignal

@ Augustus x2- Oh I'm sure a few are incoming.

@ Forte - and there it is :P

@ Hydra - Both funnily enough. Imma paint him a really dark crimson with gray tiger stripes, then black, gray and brown stippling for his camo.

@ Wicced - You know, my very first thought actually was to do Barthusa Narek of the Word. He was pretty badass in Unremembered Empire. But I couldn't find exactly what a Brontus pattern sniper rifle looked like (I'm assuming the marine version of a .50 cal Barrett), so I went with a smaller, Stalker bolter. Then a little idea for fluff just kinda came with it.

No worries, I totes gave him a sand-down before primer hit.

@ Hydra x2 - Part of the reason I liked Narek in the books. His entire deal was an attempt to kill off Lorgar and keep the Word pure. That was awesome. Not a Loyalist Word Bearer (since he hated the Imperium too) but kinda an internecine evil feud. 

@ Hushrong - Yep! I really like that guy's artistic style. His vision of Torgaddon is my favs.

@ Kurama - Haha, thanks, but rapiers are for girls. Think beardy power axe to the face :D

@ Helter - Oh he's around, being deflashed and whatnot ^_^

@ Atia - *snort* you totes did that on purpose. Are you trying to summon Forte? It's like the Batsignal

*hides her summon-Forte-flare-pistol* what? slaanesh? Forte? what's that :>

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/Mt4Nfe.jpg

that flamer is AWESOME! *__*

Good to see you making use outta those Ashen Circle Flamers!

As for the Word on the Bullet, it'd be different for each one. A clip of 30 being a 30 word long phrase/verse from scripture. You get the idea :p

The way you paint that red around the eyes on the helmets reminds me of something but for the life of me, I can't remember what!

Judge Dredd?

http://geek-news.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/geek/2012/09/Judge-Dredd.jpg

Death company is looking great, definitely no mistaking who and what they are.... Have you thought to do a little gloss with a hint of red to it, like bloodied spittle??

Saying tat it might look odd if localised in one area of a wee mini. Btw the red on the helm is cool, almost like a Black Templar Sword Brethren marker..

No summoning needed (it's called notifications ;) ).

So when's the next group shot Flint? And I hope it's just my dodgy colour blindness but I can see cork through that paint.

Those Death Company are really going to be a sweet unit Flint! They have a nice balance between brutality and the more knightly aspects of the Blood Angels.

Amusingly, as I sat down to start painting my little son of Lorgar, I happened across a thought that had not occurred to me before. Most minis look best at table top quality when they are kinda eye catching. By their very nature, a well painted model that is camouflaged is many things, but eye catching is, by its very intention, not one of them.

So, entertained by that, I set about it.

Call Tul Haekon maybe 75% finished. Any constructive criticisms to make him a little prettier?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/673/KjJKLm.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/905/qoaKIp.jpg

Replies!

@ Atia - Pffft... see? I got your number tongue.png

Thanks, I kinda like his flamer too. The whole under arm assembly of those Ashen Circle weapons are so neat looking.

@ Recon - Thanks!

@ Slipstreams - Yep, gotta put those flamers and axe rakes to use somewhere.

That isn't a bad idea at all!

@ Dark Bjoern - Thanks!

@ BCK - Me too... I was honestly attempting an X with the first one, but that paints kinda awkward, so I tried a + on this one instead.

@ Slipstreams x2 - Considering my obsession with all things Darkhorse, I could see it.

@ Dantay - I'm playing around with bloody bits as we speak!

... I don't know what you're on about. No Templars here, Sir ph34r.png

@ Jackdaw - Thanks! That shoulder did come out kinda pretty, didn't it?

As for the rest of them, there are two left, a guy with a power sword and another with a chainglaive.

@ Forte - When I finish up these last two Death Company... and no, I'm just getting lazy in my dotage pinch.gif Rest assured I patched up that visible cork.

@ MrBear - Thanks! I think my stuff always looks better as a little unit, since they are typically colorful and the little mistakes aren't quite as loud. The Knightly/Brutal aspect was exactly what I was going for with my little Knights of Blood D=detachment. Thus the Savage Knighthood biggrin.png

@ Salvation - Yep! All five of my death company have a de-khorned World Eater helm. I had a ten pack of them I had been looking for an excuse to use for ages.

Less "I am the law" more "I am the Knight(mare)" biggrin.png

@ Augustus - Sure can! As soon as I finish up these last two DC.

Maybe a vehicle... I've got a few fun projects coming up, so I'll see what I can swing. laugh.png

@ Hushrong - Thanks! It makes me super happy that the first thing most folks think of to describe them with is "brutal."

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!?!?!?!

There's so much amazing in here! 94 pages of sensory overload & inspiration!

I'd say "keep up the fantastic work" but it's safe to say you already have, incredible!!! 

:woot:

i like the camouflage effect, looks good over armor and his gun, but i think his helmet is looking rather featureless/bland (it's kinda melting into the backround, which is great for camo, but i think he needs a focus point). i'd try painting the helmet a different color or giving it a second color. i know that might go against your camo scheme, but i think it will look much better.

just my two flayed skullsmsn-wink.gif

Wicced's right, the camo effect is cool.

When you say prettier, do you mean more like a "realistic super-armoured  post-human pretending to be a tree" pretty

Or 

"I may be wearing camo, but I still like my shiny doodah's cos if you can see me you are already dead" kinda pretty?

The former, I am sure the likes of Hyenidae could help with... Otherwise maybe a few runes, or a combat knife blade first in the ground beside him as his back-up?

You're making me want to break out my recon marines and start painting them now!! 

Archived