Luther's W.o.S.P. (Works of Slow Progress)

LutherMax

Forget the new assault kits, sir; your work goes beyond GW's sculpts.  The Sergeant in particular earns point of place, both for the excellent facial details and the subtle yet outstanding work on his purity seals.  This thread continues to blow my mind every time I check back!

Luther, just curious for that sanguinary priest you built with the wings. What parts did you use for the cloak body and head?. They look like company veterans Dark Angels Box. That looks like an amazing build and unique model.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Thordendal!

Apologies for the lack of updates. I've been working on stuff for a local friendly tournament and didn't want to show it until all the lists were submitted. Currently on the table in progress are:

Dante (pin up boy of the latest Codex)
Some tactical marines (heavy flamers, sergeants with magnetized weapons, missile launchers and some basic bolter guys)
Jump packs for my last 5-man squad of Death Company
A new 5-man squad of Death Company with magnetized packs
A Razorback with lascannon
A Vindicator
Sicaran Battle Tank
Deredeo Dreadnought
Stormraven (won't actually be used in the tournie, just kicking around waiting to be finished)

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/paint-queue.jpg

Among other things – including an Imperial Knight ;)

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/betrayal-at-calth-750x563.jpg

The dog is interested, even if the girlfriend is not...

That's why they are called man's best friend and not ball and chain ;)

Teach him how to clean sprues and glue models and I think you'll have a competition dog.

It feels pretty exciting! But somewhat daunting to be staring down at thirty plus marines needing assembly and paint!

I do have a plan though. The loyalists will be painted as Blood Angels and mingled in to 40k games. The traitors will be Death Guard as a mate of mine plays them in 40k. To start with I'll just build everything and spray them red and white respectively so we can at least play the Calth game together.

It'll be a looong time before the whole box is completely finished..!

• 1 month later...

What a great read through, Luther!! Really nice work in here.

Did you paint the pilot of the StormRaven before spraying the white on him for the glow effect??

Your Black/Grey looks top notch, and the weathering on your vehicles is also well done. Keep up the good work!!

End of Line

Thanks guys! Might have finished this yesterday if not for a power cut! Now it'll have to wait till the weekend...

@ Ovidius, this was the first time I'd used clear green to get this effect. I painted it on the inside, quite thick, and it created a natural gradient where it pooled in the corners. Next time I might try painting two thinner coats or airbrushing it but luckily I'm happy with this one! Another way I thought of is mixing green ink into gloss varnish in a small bowl and 'dipping' the canopy in. I think it would work well but quite wasteful for the varnish...

@ Rhapsody, the crew were primed German Redbrown along with the rest of the gunship and then I just hit them (and the controls) with white from in front and below. Realistic shadows were formed by the areas that didn't get hit with the white.