Crimson Lords - Updated with Index Astartes Article

Son of Carnelian

So, no peasants made it in three thousand years (until recently)? Seems like quite a while if such a feat is genuinely possible...

Most peasants don't even know where the Crimson Lords' make their home. They are at a feudal technological level, with no speedy transmission of information. I expect that the few that know for a fact try and fail, or get discouraged, or sidetracked, or killed by something else. So maybe there should only be the one that Quinlan inducts. 

Just imagine the large time-frame that three thousand years actually is - for western society it's the difference between hunting things with spears and going to the freaking moon. The chances of peasants making it may very well be stupidly low but I reckon there would be at least some that would have made it in the first thousand years, let only the second or third millennia since. ;)

I suppose. I just wanted the induction of this peasant in the face of Tersus' shaming to be a big deal. Maybe it hasn't happened for a millenia or something. So peasants have made it in small numbers, but it's been forever since it happened. The last peasant in the Crimson Lords' ranks died before the current Chapter Master had even been a Scout. Only the Dreadnaughts remember, if dimly. 

I suppose. I just wanted the induction of this peasant in the face of Tersus' shaming to be a big deal. Maybe it hasn't happened for a millenia or something. So peasants have made it in small numbers, but it's been forever since it happened. The last peasant in the Crimson Lords' ranks died before the current Chapter Master had even been a Scout. Only the Dreadnaughts remember, if dimly. 

Yes. Totally the route I'd choose. 

This is really good do you have any advice because I am going to make a new chapter?

Thanks! My advice would be to not only write the article, but then try and write a short story about them. Or a few short codex blurbs like I have here. Make your Chapter breathe. The best Chapters created by GW give us a picture of what they do when they aren't fighting. I guess I would just say to think of your Chapter beyond just the tabletop. And don't be afraid to make your Chapter unpleaseant or even downright cruel. Once I got over the hurdle of "my Crimson Lords must be good guys," everything snapped into place. 

Also, follow as many of the rules here as you can while staying true to your Chapter: Link to the DIY Chapter Guide by the B & C

Archived