Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

It was a neck and neck between an Ultramarine and a Grey Knight, and the Ultramarine won because it's the more "versatile" choice. Allow me to explain:

A Grey Knight would firmly "lock" the model into the 40k timeline, as the Grey Knights were only established well after the Heresy. What's more, the only documeented case of the Knights facing Angron (at least so far), has been the 1st battle for Armageddon.

But Angron was one of the first Daemon Primarchs to ascend, during the Shadow War, and the World Eaters were fighting the Ultramarines while it happened. So having him hold an Ultramarine allows for the model to be both a 30k and a 40k piece, provided I ever get my 30k World Eaters off the ground far enough for this to actually matter.

But yeah, that was the thought process behind this particular choice.

Edited by KrautScientist

No, I don't think so. It would seem slightly silly for a daemon to be wearing actual painted inconography, so I think to suggest the legion badge by shape will be enough.

How about a sculpted 3D Daemonic version of the World Eaters insignia...? I'm thinking something like the jaws actually biting through (or at least into) the 'world', and actual teeth instead of the stylised ones of the Legion icon.

(...) So having him hold an Ultramarine allows for the model to be both a 30k and a 40k piece, provided I ever get my 30k World Eaters off the ground far enough for this to actually matter.

I already got my fingers crossed. Your handful of 30k World Eaters are spectacular. 

I looked a while longer at your pics of Angron and now I'm glad you've omitted pupils and kept the eyes simply orange/yellow. It gives him a certain demonic shark look, just as the eyes of a shark turn pitch black shortly before biting, Angron's eyes are completely fiery and smoldering. Can't wait to see him finished. 

By Khorne, your Angron is simply amazing. It's a big statement due to the quality of your work, but the conversion/paint job make him your best work yet.

Can't tell you how much I love this guy enough :tu:

Edited by Midnight Runner

Thanks a lot, gents! :)

@ Svartmetall: That would be awesome, of course, but keep in mind not everyone shares your stratospheric GS skills ;) In all fairness, I didn't even put that much thought into this element to begin with: I thought it would be nice to replace the standard Bloodthirster belly plate with something hinting at the World Eaters' legion badge while still fitting the overall direction of the armour, and I think the plate fits that role quite well as is.

@ Isengrin: Yeah, that was my thinking regarding the eyes...well, that and the fact that I probably couldn't have pulled off proper pupils to save my life ;) But I do think he rather profits from the "smouldering coal" look ;)

@ Midnight Runner: Thanks, mate! And he definitely does feel like a special project, so I see where you're coming from!

So the weather is just as bad again today, but the photos have managed to improve a bit: Here's Angron with most of the armour plates in place:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-32.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-41.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-37.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-38.jpg

The colour of the armour was chosen because I wanted it to resemble the general look of the armour worn by  Forgeworld's Angron. Plus it also works rather well with the red skin, if you ask me.

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-34.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-33.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-40.jpg

It's pretty awesome that the relatively simple recipe you have for armour (bronze, Agrax wash, drybrush/highlight with the same colour, I'm guessing?) works so well with your reds. It simply works beautifully! :)

I'm also pretty stoked that I had a - albeit tiny - hand in the creation of this model. The shoulder pads work nicely with the look you went for, no? :tu:

Cheers, mate!

Like I said, though, the usual, three-step recipe has been expanded by at least three additional steps, in order to give the armour more depth.

And yes, those shoulder pads turned out to be a godsend! I think they perfectly complement the rest of the model (to the point that they seem to be almost perfectly contoured to the shape of the arms), and there was simply nothing in GW's catalogue that would have provided the same function. Cheers again for sending them over!

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

So here's another round of updates: All of the armour plates and trophies on the belt are now in place. There's also something that I need your help with, but we'll be getting to that in a minute. First, pictures:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-42.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-43.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-45.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-51.jpg

So here's the thing I would love to hear your feedback on: I am not perfectly sure about those kneepads. They always seemed like a no-brainer during the conversion process, adding some additional bulk to the model and further differentiating it from the stock Bloodthirster, but now it seems to me like they actually make the model look slightly too clunky:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-44.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-50.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-48.jpg

So what do you think -- should I keep them or lose them (they are just tacked in place for now)?

As always, your input is much appreciated!

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-46.jpg

Ooohhhh he's looking delicious Krauty I love the burnished gold you have going on....

I'd keep the knee pads as I think they help to frame the miniature/piece. He's coming together quite nicely, which is to say; he's looking quite beasty!

Cheers for the feedback so far, guys! I haven't entirely made up my mind on the matter yet, but your reactions tell me that my misgivings about those kneepads might not have been entirely unfounded :wink:

In the meantime, I have finally managed to paint that unfortunate Ultramarine:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-53.jpg

Aw, man, look at him, all clean and pristine -- alas, it was not to last...

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-54.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-55.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-56.jpg

And here's a closer look at the finished Astartes:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-57.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-63.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-64.jpg

I also tried my best to take pictures of the gory parts:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-59.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-60.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-61.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-65.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-68.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, guys! It occurs to me now that I forgot to mention one more reason for making Angron's victim an Ultramarine: In Alex Boyd's illustration of Daemon Primarch Angron, Angron is also clutching a broken Ultramarine, so this element is a shout out to that illustration as well.

So with the smurf out of the way, there was really no excuse to put off painting the axe any longer, so that's what I did today. Which means that, apart from some highlights and minor cleanup work, the model itself is just about finished now:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-74.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-75.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-76.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-81.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-82.jpg

As for the axe itself, the strangely organic shape of the blade would have made painting it in simple metals seem like a bit of a cheap cop-out, so I went for something partially organic and disturbing, trying to duplicate the look of ElDiablo's/Midian's excellent Bloodthirster axe:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-71.jpg

As you can see, I also added some blood to the axe, mostly because it made sense, what with Angron clearly just having cut apart an Astartes... I believe that'll be it for blood effects on the model, though. There might be some more blood on the base...

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-73.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-72.jpg

So yeah, I do have to say that I am actually really, really happy with this guy -- in case you hadn't noticed :wink:

So while you guys are probably tired of seeing the model, I would of course love to hear your feedback! As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-69.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist