What 2014 will bring

Theduke08

Anyone else getting slightly concerned that if the can turn Ghazghkull into a Lord of War, then they can do it to Mephiston...?

It could be Mephiston I suppose, but the Sanguinor could fit as well.  Either way, not every codex is going to contain a Lord of War so the Blood Angels might not get one at all.

EDIT:  Its confirmed that the Orks did get their own psychic discipline, so that could be good news for the Blood Angels as well.

Anyone else getting slightly concerned that if the can turn Ghazghkull into a Lord of War, then they can do it to Mephiston...?

I don't see it as a huge issue. I'm actually looking forward to a new codex where we'll hopefully get other HQs worth taking. 

Being 'forced' to take Mephiston in every game is starting to get tedious. 

I don't see it as a huge issue. I'm actually looking forward to a new codex where we'll hopefully get other HQs worth taking. 

I'm a big fan of Death Company, so if we could get a viable DC Tycho then he would be a staple for me I think.

Could someone clarify me how the LOW slot works in 7th edition? Since it is part of the combined arms detachement, does that mean that none of the extra benefits to the opponent given in Escalation are no longer valid?

EDIT: Since I'm asking, let's ask another as well. I can't find any mention of not being able to reserve more than half of army in the 7th. Anyone? Looks like all DoA lists are quite valid again (with the exception of sudden death if nothing is on table at end of turn 1). I wonder if there could be a rule in the upcoming codex that allows deep striking of jump infantry on turn 1...

Could someone clarify me how the LOW slot works in 7th edition? Since it is part of the combined arms detachement, does that mean that none of the extra benefits to the opponent given in Escalation are no longer valid?

EDIT: Since I'm asking, let's ask another as well. I can't find any mention of not being able to reserve more than half of army in the 7th. Anyone? Looks like all DoA lists are quite valid again (with the exception of sudden death if nothing is on table at end of turn 1). I wonder if there could be a rule in the upcoming codex that allows deep striking of jump infantry on turn 1...

Oooooh! So you COULD, if you win the roll off, elect to go second; deploy nothing; send couple of drop pods in T1; deep strike all other reserves as they 're roll for arrival?!?! I LIKE that!! I'm gonna try it next time I get to go 2nd!!

Ps: what's the big deal about LoW? I Don't do escalation or apoc. U can get an extra HQ on board surely that's good? Is if it's thraka! Would be if it were FistOn- could load the board with psychers, seeing as New psy-phase is rubbish!!

LoW choices are in the main book, it doesn't matter whether or not you "do" Escalation.

As for the reserve query, from what I can tell and have read on this forum, you can now reserve as much as you wish - just make sure there's something on the table at the end of any of your given turns!

thebymster, what don't you like about the re-introduction of a psychic phase?

It could be Mephiston I suppose, but the Sanguinor could fit as well.  Either way, not every codex is going to contain a Lord of War so the Blood Angels might not get one at all.

EDIT:  Its confirmed that the Orks did get their own psychic discipline, so that could be good news for the Blood Angels as well.

Im "expecting" both of these changes.  ie: Meph to be a LoW and us to get our own power set.

I still don't think we'll get our own power set. In my opinion, no Imperial army's will. However, there's precedence of individual casters getting their own signature spells (I.e. Ezekiel), so there's still a chance he'll have wings.

I really think moving Ghazghkull to a LoW choice has opened up a new route for GW to travel down. Especially as it's unlikely that we're getting a "big thing" like the other 6th edition codicies received (Riptide/Wraithknight/Centurions, etc).

What does Ghaz do differently now to justify his LoW status?

If we did get one it will be a toss up between the Sanguinor and Meph me thinks. I wonder if they will do this with all the big, bad boys of the galaxy; Abaddon, Calgar etc.

As for powers, we may get wings for Meph, not much else though as most of them have a similar power in the psychic card deck nowadays.

As for powers, we may get wings for Meph, not much else though as most of them have a similar power in the psychic card deck nowadays.

Yeah, agreed. I'm thinking/hoping that Meph will either get wings as a personal power or his IC status back. Current Meph with Iron Arm and Wings would be glorious, just glorious. The gnashing of teeth by heretics would be heard all across the Internet.

LoW choices are in the main book, it doesn't matter whether or not you "do" Escalation.

As for the reserve query, from what I can tell and have read on this forum, you can now reserve as much as you wish - just make sure there's something on the table at the end of any of your given turns!

thebymster, what don't you like about the re-introduction of a psychic phase?

I'm not happy with the whole shift. You used to pay for epostalry / rune priest, whatever; get an extra power that's unique to your dex ( and fighting style) and have a nagging doubt possible death due to perils.

I know upgrades are now cheaper, and choice of disciplines and getting primaris powers give more options in game- however the power over the warp that your army has is now on a D6 (without spamming daemons) and ratio of success to failure seems to have shifted to the fail side, in my limited experience! If I'm paying 150 points for a jump epostalry I feel I should have some guarantee that he's going to be of some use- but how useful he is now massively depends on the dice I roll.

Maybe im just stuck in the 5th ed I started playing on, but if I wanted to Play fantasy.... I'd, well... I'd Play fantasy!!

Having not forked put for escalation it's nice to know I'm not missing out on anything- thanks for that!

I'm sire in 6 months I'll have forgotten all about what it used to be like and be getting ready for the rumors of 8th Ed... It just feels like a heamogonation too far atm. Could change with dex, let's see which way!

I'm a big fan of Death Company, so if we could get a viable DC Tycho then he would be a staple for me I think.

Just run him as normal Tycho, problem solved.

Yeah, it's kinda weird that normal Tycho is the only one who can join a unit of DC wacko.png

Just run him as normal Tycho, problem solved.

Yeah, it's kinda weird that normal Tycho is the only one who can join a unit of DC wacko.png

Oh I do use my regular Tycho, but I run him with Sternguard. I know it wouldn't really make that big of a difference, but it just feels off for me to run regular Tycho with my DC. It feels like he doesn't belong.

Oh I do use my regular Tycho, but I run him with Sternguard.  I know it wouldn't really make that big of a difference, but it just feels off for me to run regular Tycho with my DC.  It feels like he doesn't belong.

Take a second one, paint him up in DC colors and pay no attention to the voices in your head.

That's what I do, minus the DC tycho part.

Having not forked put for escalation it's nice to know I'm not missing out on anything- thanks for that!

!

Escalation is a really decent book.  I'd rate Stronghold above it though.  And if Mephy goes the way of Gazzy, then it will become a necessity considering the additional LoW rules in the escalation book. 

(namely:  +1 to seize, the +1 VP per 3W/HP you remove and the Anti-LoW warlord chart)

If mephiston remains 100% unchanged (as per 6th) except for his LoW status, then that alone will put a huge dent in desire to take him -especially considering he no longer counts as the only HQ needed and all the negatives against him.

So what is gaz like to make him justify the lord of war status?? (bearing in mind thats normally reserved for stuff like primarchs!)

Well; the sex says he's been touched by Mork- that's good enough for me!!

Trying to read the dex now...

Maybe there is a shift away from primaris being the only LoW?

!

Escalation is a really decent book. I'd rate Stronghold above it though. And if Mephy goes the way of Gazzy, then it will become a necessity considering the additional LoW rules in the escalation book.

(namely: +1 to seize, the +1 VP per 3W/HP you remove and the Anti-LoW warlord chart)

If mephiston remains 100% unchanged (as per 6th) except for his LoW status, then that alone will put a huge dent in desire to take him -especially considering he no longer counts as the only HQ needed and all the negatives against him.

Thanks Morticon, they all seem like useful things.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is gaz like to make him justify the lord of war status?? (bearing in mind thats normally reserved for stuff like primarchs!)

I think it's going to be standard for all the hardest independent characters in future codices. Also it means in smaller games, we're a stompa cost to many points, you can take ghaz and say 2 pain boys ect and still be battle forged.

Rules:

Mephiston: Lord of War.

Blood Angels: Gain access to the new Codex SM flyers, but not the tanks.

Minis:

New "Sanguinary" unit in Terminator armor

Clam pack plastic Sanguinary Priest

New Wheeled vehicle

"Classic Character" gets a resculpt (contrary chatter split between Mephiston/Tycho)

Rumor reliability: Medium-Low, coming from both known and unknown sources

Source

Rules:

Mephiston: Lord of War.

Blood Angels: Gain access to the new Codex SM flyers, but not the tanks.

Minis:

New "Sanguinary" unit in Terminator armor

Clam pack plastic Sanguinary Priest

New Wheeled vehicle

"Classic Character" gets a resculpt (contrary chatter split between Mephiston/Tycho)

Rumor reliability: Medium-Low, coming from both known and unknown sources

Source

It's the Sanguinary Terminator unit that's bugging me about these rumours. They would have to have quite notable additional bells and whistles to make them potentially worthwhile, what with Terminators generally not seeing much game time with 7th (barring Deathwing/Knights but even so). Assuming they come with the standard 2+/5++ what next - 2W like Paladins? Constant Blind (which is situational at best).

I also assume "wheeled" vehicle is meant to be a tank variant, and there was an additional whiff a few weeks back of a "melta-Baal" variant... Would still like to see AssCan sponsons, and/or a Torrent Flamestorm but that is more just wishful thinking.

If it had to be one classic character to get a re-sculpt I would say Mephiston (even though others need it too). If you're making him a LoW, then he needs to look and be posed like his title suggest, "Lord of Death". This is a great opportunity to make him look really mean.

Frag cannon sponsons..... you know you want them.

GW have no clue in general how price things (in pts), this goes double for anything with terminator armour. I expect a neat looking kit with lacklustre performance but we'll probably all buy a box of them anyway because they look cool. GW will then interpret this as the unit bring good, thus continuing the circle of life :P 

Frag cannon sponsons..... you know you want them.

GW have no clue in general how price things (in pts), this goes double for anything with terminator armour. I expect a neat looking kit with lacklustre performance but we'll probably all buy a box of them anyway because they look cool. GW will then interpret this as the unit bring good, thus continuing the circle of life tongue.png

Ha! The concept is cool but Frag sponsons would just be like the Hvy Flamer versions - for 25pts you get to fire them once per game before you are assaulted and explode from having to get so close to the target. Make them all Torent and then we can talk msn-wink.gif

Agree with the concern on the Sanguinary kit. It would be like our equivalent of Warp Talons - cool concept, excellent models with great conversion/kit-bashing potential.... aaaaaand totally dump in the game.

Archived