The Lost and Forgotten: Building the II Legion

Athrawes

Icarion The Stormborn
The Master of The Thunder Legion, The Guiding Star, The Second Son, The Storms Eye

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is the finished piece of artwork for the II Legion Primarch. I can't begin to express how pleased I am to see him come to life like this and I really look forward to getting a chance to paint a model version of him. 

I hope you guys enjoy Mr. Swaids work as I plan on commissioning him to help with a few more pieces involving the Thunder Legion.

AMAZING!!

I hope the models matches the sheer quality of this piece.

Eager to see more!

Wow, I have to say most of the time when I hear or see people try to start a project claiming to be one of the lost legions, it just comes off as poorly executed and usually borrows heavily from an already existing legion. This project is a fantastic and quite worthy effort, with the precedent FW has now set for detailing the background and feel of each legion it is now a quite daunting task to try and match them. You however have met their seemingly unassailable fortress of fluff with a worthy and well-equipped force. Kudos man, I'll be watching this in earnest.

Thunder and the Fleet

"Battecry of the Thunder Legion"

Long before The Empire of Madrigal was included into the Imperium of Mankind, the Shipyards of Akira produced some of the finest vessels built by man. The Imperial Fleet was the sinew that held the Tempest sub-sector together and have since become the sturdy foundation of the IInd Legions Fleet assets. 

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/62B20631-04B0-44C9-A2F9-D5ECE6022D6C.jpg?t=1397337869

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was a bit bored so I decided to doodle some of the ships belonging to the IInd Legion, I was inspired by the beautiful artwork in the new Forgeworld book. 

I should have another update later tonight with some long overdue finished miniatures so stay tuned.

Thunder and the Fleet

"Battecry of the Thunder Legion"

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/5FADDABC-306E-473E-9C1F-FD1C968F2BBB1.jpg

The Thunder Legion Fleet assets at the time of the Siege of Madrigal  numbered just over 1,200 Vessels. While not as numerous as the assets ascribed to the 7th Legion, the ships of the IInd more than make up for their numbers with the quality if their construction. 

Over the millenia, Akira has produced many classes of vessels, Patterns not seen since the golden age of technology. Some of these vessels, such as The Thunderchild and Storm's End even rival the Emperor's own Gloriana class Capital ships. This has lead to an eclectic, yet majestic menagerie of Ships found in the Thunder Legion fleet, and patrolling the Tempest Sub-Sector.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Progress Update:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/A84B07F9-A46C-4BE4-A4EE-0376349DF27F1.jpg

I finished another Tactical Legionary, which while not the grandest addition to the army has made me quite satisfied. One more legionary and I'l have finished the first squad of the IInd Legion (which is a big milestone for me).

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/07C8A7FD-B62F-4332-90C5-3CEFA753B7AD1.jpg

I also finished two models which will eventually be either Chosen, or squad sergeants. On that note, I just submitted an order to Forgeworld for 10 more Mk II Legionaries, so once those are done, I might actually have a mildly playable tabletop force.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/201A2C7F-049A-4BC0-A3C0-97FEE98FFF05.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/796575CB-33F7-4CFF-B6AD-D0FA2C915FE71.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy!

Ok, where did the chest piece on the chainsword guy come from? The II is looking excellent, bravo

Looks to be from the new MK.III Command Set: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/MKIII_COMMAND_SET.html

And that Legionnaire with the spear is from the MK.II Command Set, I'd recognise that badass helmet anywhere.

I know it has been a while since I have updated the background for the Legion. I have a couple of questions I want to pose to the board.

First,  I'm trying to decide When Icarion was found. I really do like the idea of him wrestling with Magnus over how to (or whether to) implement the Legion Librarius. 

I had written a little bit about that already and was just interested to see if his involvement in that event would lock him into the 3rd found slot? This would give him a much longer period in the GC to play around with.

Second, I'm trying to figure out what aspect of the Emperor Icarion embodies. 

from the Tarot we get this quote:

The High Priestess [icarion] is ultimately the one who can communicate an understanding of the highest goals of the Fool [The Emperor] to the rest of the system[Primarchs], individually and in ways they can each understand.

He is psychic that much is basically established but he is also a very different type of psychic than Magnus:

Deeply psychic, the only one on a level with the Magus. However his method is entirely different; whereas the Magus directs, the High Priestess observes. The Magus uses the Warp, but the High Priestess understands it. The High Priestess is intuitively capable of predicting the motions and interactions of systems as a whole, and guiding them hollistically.

Do you think it is plausible that Icarion embodies the Emperors nature as Anathema to the warp. He could potentially observe the nature of the warp, and understand its threat in a way Magnus won't and only the Emperor seems to.

The emperor is psychic and yet seems to function like a blank as well, shutting down the warp around him. In addition, the "otherness" usually ascribed to blanks and the emperor in his "shifting visage" could explain the this quote from the Tarot: 

No two people can quite agree what the High Priestess is really like. His presence is deeply hypnotic.

I think this path could work, and an interesting consequence could be that while his geneseed is predisposed to unlock his son's psychic potential, it also has the rare potential to create psychic blanks.

Please, I would really appreciate your thoughts on this subject. 

I suppose that It really depends upon when the final Primarch was found, I've always heard people and authors discussing that all of the Primarchs met each other before some became lost. In my original thoughts, this legion was lost around 70-50 years before the Heresy. As that seemed to square up to the loss of the Primarchs mentioned in "First Heretic" unless that rough timeline has been changed recently.

I'd Say found early = more time to play :D

I like the idea of blanks as it could fit into your army thematics as the eye of the storm of the calm before the storm. Could be a fun and interesting addition to what you already have.

I've seen the list and it is very helpful, Basically the 3rd Primarch Found and the 19th Primarch found become lost Primarchs. However my dilemma is which of those two, 3rd or 19th, was the 2nd Primarch. 

I see no reason for him to have not been the third primarch found. It creates quite a strong contrast among the early primarchs of Horus, Russ, and Icarion.

Can't say i'm a huge fan of the psychic blanks concept. What I would find interesting is a set of psychic teachings that centered around calming the warp around one's self. In essence it would be similar to being blanks but it would be a skill that came with training and focus, rather than just an innate ability.

I suppose that It really depends upon when the final Primarch was found, I've always heard people and authors discussing that all of the Primarchs met each other before some became lost. In my original thoughts, this legion was lost around 70-50 years before the Heresy. As that seemed to square up to the loss of the Primarchs mentioned in "First Heretic" unless that rough timeline has been changed recently.

Far as I know, the only statement regarding that is that every Primarch and Legion was united and fought in the Great Crusade. Nothing says that all twenty Primarchs and Legions were unified and fought in the Great Crusade at the same time. For all we know, the third found was gone by the time half of his brothers were still undiscovered.

If that changed, I will be irritated.

@Cormac Airt: This is a quote from Laurie Goulding, the black library editor on the Subject:

- The loss of the II and XI legions and their associated Primarchs

This occurred sometime after 981.M30 since all twenty of the primarchs are known to have met one another, and Alpharius was the last to be found.

Source: The First Expedition

I actually just found the supporting quote and it seems to both answer and complicate the timeline question. This seems to mean that my Legion couldn't have been lost later than 20 years before Ullanor. (and so I imagine that this quote means that the comment about the lost Primarchs in 'First Heretic' is being updated as incorrect.

Yeah, like I said before seeing that I had decided that my Legion was lost 70 years before the Heresy. 

But hey, lets look on the bright side! This means I don't have to worry about my Legion not having access to some of the more advanced pieces of Pre-Heresy tech like Mk IV armor and Tartaros Terminators, or Sicaran Battle Tanks for that matter. And at least from now on, since they have the Primarch Discovery order and the forgeworld for dating events, their timelines should improve.

Bright side!

Hi Guys!

Meanwhile, interrupting your very interesting and material discussion for commercial brake, and because Athrawes can't wait any longer ;) I'm posting you sculpted Primarch head.

It was a little precise work on it, but it was worth...

More pictures soon.

http://marcelle.nazwa.pl/Primarch-Head-1.jpg

Holly smokes !!!

A primarch without a body !! biggrin.png

Living in Asia I can only be jealous of Athrawes (to say the least) for getting such a great scupted customized sur-mesure kick ass head

B.... hell so many tentations to start an Asian chapter !!

Archived