The Lost and Forgotten: Building the II Legion

Athrawes

Thunder Legion ->

Thunder Lords being the name of the First Chapter / Veteran Company

Storm Heralds being the name for the Librarius maybe?

Cloud Serpents being the Air Superiority part of the Legion?

Just some Ideas on how to implement ALL the names xD

I had a conversation with OP on another thread and he said he'd be open to name suggestions. 

Nothing wrong with Thunder Legion...I'm just throwing out some suggestions

I like Thunder Lords because it doesn't change the original name too much...but "Lords" also conveys the idea of mastery. The 2nd legion is a legion of psykers. They seek to master the Warp for the purpose of "scrying" 

"Legion" just seems to be a bit bland

I'd say Thunder Legion works fine. None of the Canon Legions use 'Legion' in their name until after the heresy, so it's still pretty distinctive.turned.gif

Alpha Legion was not called Alpha Legion before the Heresy? What was it called?

@b1soul: I want to thank you for the great alternate names for the II Legion. I'm glad for community input as it helps to make this project enjoyable for everyone.

While I like the name Thunder Lords, I feel that it doesn't really fit the Legion and I'd like to explain why.

Being lords of warp-craft just isn't how they would see themselves. Their psychic 'gifts' while useful and potentially quite potent, are culturally a burden to them. A power that must be contained, subdued and controlled for fear of it swallowing them whole. The power has to be focused, not yoked to their will and unleashed as a Thousand Son might. In this way, their power is something they must bear knowing all the while if they lose control, even for an instant they could be lost.

If I had to pick an alternate name that they might choose for themselves, It might be the 'Thunder Bearers.' No self aggrandizement, just a stark recognition that they have a gift they don't want, power they must fear using, that scares them to their core. I think there is something tragic about that perception of themselves.

@b1soul: I want to thank you for the great alternate names for the II Legion. I'm glad for community input as it helps to make this project enjoyable for everyone.

While I like the name Thunder Lords, I feel that it doesn't really fit the Legion and I'd like to explain why.

Being lords of warp-craft just isn't how they would see themselves. Their psychic 'gifts' while useful and potentially quite potent, are culturally a burden to them. A power that must be contained, subdued and controlled for fear of it swallowing them whole. The power has to be focused, not yoked to their will and unleashed as a Thousand Son might. In this way, their power is something they must bear knowing all the while if they lose control, even for an instant they could be lost.

If I had to pick an alternate name that they might choose for themselves, It might be the 'Thunder Bearers.' No self aggrandizement, just a stark recognition that they have a gift they don't want, power they must fear using, that scares them to their core. I think there is something tragic about that perception of themselves.

Well, that just convinced me.

I'd say Thunder Legion works fine. None of the Canon Legions use 'Legion' in their name until after the heresy, so it's still pretty distinctive.turned.gif

Alpha Legion was not called Alpha Legion before the Heresy? What was it called?

I forgot all about the Alpha Legion.

Which is probably part of their plan. sweat.gif

I stand corrected! But still, two out of nineteen using the name Legion isn't so bad.happy.png

First of all, this whole thread has been a joy to read. Truly excellent, inspiring work.

Secondly, if you are considering changing the Legion name, perhaps something like the Storm Keepers? The impression you've given of the II Legion is that whilst highly psychic, they're very much aware of the dangers of the Warp and seek to contain it's power, especially within themselves.

Storm Keepers, Tempest Wardens, Storm Guard, Storm Sentinels? Something which references both the Warp (and Madrigal) and the Legion's (perhaps self appointed) stewardship of the threat it poses.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Got to say I agree with spaced hulk, about new names if it was to be changed but what I would point out is that the legions name is reportedly as long as, if not a few characters short than the Emperor's children that puts it at around 17 characters, including the space. Tempest Wardens or Storm Sentinels come close but from what Athrawes has written I'm not sure ether really fit the bill

Personally I'd say keep Go with what you feel is right buddy at the need of the day it's your fantastically exacuted fluff

WHJ

First, here are individual shots of everything in the army that is completed (minus the Praetor and Oni-Count as Librarian)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/13A214F6-C10F-4B70-A3FE-D01913231382.jpg?t=1400373424http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/5510786A-45D9-421D-818C-DD7AFC26788A.jpg?t=1400373470http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/F9FB1124-7662-4235-82BD-AFFB55EE7918.jpg?t=1400373558http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/A4A0C20A-6B15-4169-A0DA-C67D266E0A85.jpg?t=1400373610

While I am still working to finish off the Assault squad and the Final Volta, (and haven't assembled the 5 standard Tartaros Terminators) This point brings my army up to around 1500 points without the Primarch.

So my question to you is what would you like to see me tackle next?

A few things that I know I want to add to the army down the road are:

1. Another Tactical Squad
  2. Contemptor Dreadnaught with Conversion Beamer
  3. Pair of Javelin Assault Speeders
  4. Fellblade
  5. Heavy support squad with Volkite Culverine
  6. Squad of Oni
  7. Other things?

As it stands, my army comprises 10 Tactical, 10 Assault with melta bombs, 5 Volta, 5 Tartaros Terminators with  Chainfists and combi Weapons, Command Squad with 5 members, Praetor, Oni (LIbrarian)

In addition To this dilemma, I should have a surprise for you guys tomorrow....A little something that Ibrahem Swaid has been working on.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'd like to see some armour to support your legionaries, plus that will bring more ranged antitank fire power to the table for gaming.

So I'd love to see what you do with a contemptor (giant katana, giant katana), then follow it up with the speeders.

Everything looks stunning mate, looking forward to our surprise :)

Don't cuss me out for this, but I keep imagining the Genyosha from battletech when I think of symbols for your guys. Their symbol was the Kamikaze wave that broke the mongol invasion, and... I don't know, but I can't help but imagine it on a banner or something. The stars within the wave feel like a "Great Ocean" thing, more spiritual than literal. Mind you, I'm not saying copy the symbol, but a guy rocking a banner, with Japanese-esqe waves and stars across it's length and width would look stunning.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/5/5f/Genyosha.jpg

Possibly look into some of ancient Japan's mythology, and hunt down stories involving the great waves from the Ocean (aka the Warp).

For example, Susano-no-Mikoto was the God of the Storm, and of the sea, and was honoured for slaying the Dragon Yamata no Orochi, also called.... wait for it... The Eight Forked Serpent (just screams Chaos, lol).

Here's a Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanoo

And another for Yamata: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamata_no_Orochi

Just food for thought, brother. smile.png

Also, expect a PM in a day or two. We must speak, you and I.....

EDIT:

The painting of Mikoto and Yamata's duel is about what I was thinking, when it comes to the waves. Adding the 4 point stars of the II Legion across it's length...yeah, epic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Yoshitoshi_Nihon-ryakushi_Susanoo-no-mikoto.jpg

I kinda like Empyrean Sons.

I was thinking that or Empyrean Guard...which conveys watchfulness of the Warp quite well, but it sounds a lot like "Imperial Guard". I like the other poster's suggestion Storm Sentinels

Archived