The Lost and Forgotten: Building the II Legion

Athrawes

Okay, I've finished reading the entire thread and wish to share my thoughts. 

One, the negative. The only real criticism I have is in the legion history, and it may very well be merely a difference in perspectives: I can't see the Emperor bowing to anyone. No matter how faithful, how dutiful, how heroic of a servant/son is, I just don't think the Emperor would ever bow to anyone else. 

Second, the positive. The amount of effort and talent put into this project truly is incredible. From the soft fluff to the hard modeling, it is extremely impressive to have read and watch this project grow. 

Third, the mixed feelings. Like you, I have always to make my own mark on Warhammer 40,000. Nothing official, mind you. But whether it be a chapter of my making or trying to go the extra mile to make 'narratives' of my battles, writing 40k is as much as part of my hobby as the gaming aspect. So, a few months ago, I began to formulate my own ideas of the Second Legion. I've chosen a primarch, cobbled together themes, and have a foundation. Here is were the mixed feelings come in. Your project is equal amounts of inspiring and intimidating. Part of me wants to go ahead and take my own stab and start my own topic here about my Second Legion. Part of me wants to not bother with it. I don't have the talent of modeling, painting, or (more importantly) I can't afford to build another army. All I can do is write. And, you seem to have preempted a couple of my themes for my legion, mostly the emphasis on divination and precognition. Still, there are enough differences that I know my 2nd is different from your II. Different emphasis in weaponry. Different primarch personality. I seem to be stuck smack dab in the middle of surrender and charging forward.

Those are my thoughts on this project. I'd like to conclude with a 'well-done!'

So a bit of an exciting update, I've been in contact with several sculptors who are interested in this project. Including a current sculptor at Mantic and one of the former lead sculptors at Rackham miniatures. This could be very cool.

I love everything about this project, kudos on doing real justice to a lost legion. Just please don't go with a Mantic style sculpt for Icarion!

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Busy with work for the last few weeks but I do have a bit to show you. 

I decided to use of of the new Emperors Children heads on my Mk IV chosen. I really like the result and am considering using it for all of the Mk IV Astartes in the army.  

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/2C5617A3-9BEE-4B6E-BCE1-DC6D66304ED3.jpg?t=1402356092

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/9E916EE7-9BFA-44BA-A855-883521F47C5F.jpg?t=1402356126

I'm thinking of referring to it as the Ryza Pattern Helmet. It occurred to me that the helmet was quit similar to one found throughout Collected Visions and specifically amongst the Thousand Sons.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/767ac522-7229-4f06-985f-863809394e93.png?t=1402443000

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/b4622eea-1260-4b2c-aa96-8cdee4950fa3.png?t=1402443051

From this Close up  map of the Pre heresy Imperium, assuming that Madrigal lies on the edge of the Maelstrom, Then Madrigal Prospero and Chemos are the closest Legion Worlds to Ryza Forgeworld. It seems likely (to me at least)  way to explain the presence of this variant Mk IV armor in the II III and XV Legion.

Finally, work on Raiden and Icarion is progressing and I should have updates for you soon from their respective artists. 

As for the sculpt of Icarion, This version will differ significantly from the last. First off it is being done digitally which means I will be able to order as many prints of the finished product as required. For me and maybe a few friends.  While the armor details will remain largely similar to the artwork from Mr. Swaid, the pose will be a lot more dynamic. 

Here is a little bit about Franceso's past work, He worked to helped complete Grindhouse Games Incursion, and worked extensively on Dreadzone and Loka Elementals for Mantic Games.

I can't wait to see what what Francesco does with the sculpt.

Let me know what you guys think.

Awesome stuff Athrawes!

I like the sound of Icarion commuting seppuku, however I propose a separate way:

The two primarchs are fighting it out (circumstance has left Ferrus, Fulgrim, and Horus not at Icarion's position) when Icarion disarms Russ. However, Icarion delivers a speech that brings about man tears and the truth of the galaxy before picking up Russ' blade and disembowling himself with it.

Russ is left stunned and the other primarchs reach the dueling site to find Russ standing over the body of Icarion with his sword still in the 2nd Primarch's body. Horus says a line that gives the wolves their epithet -

"Of all of our brothers here today Russ...I'm glad you were the one to execute our father's will. Few of us could have done the same."

Raiden Athrawes, The Last Sentinel, Siege of Madrigal.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/A1DE4B8C-012D-4024-9FAB-433DD28984A2.jpg Here is a shaded version to give you a clearer picture of the scene.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/3A687E65-426B-43EA-84B8-05B2F64431E4.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Finally, I have something I want to share with you. I apologize for it being long, but this is my current draft timeline for the Fall of the second legion. This is such an important part of the Legion's character and lore that I want it to be enjoyable for everyone.

SO please share your ideas, thoughts opinions. What you like or don't like as it WIll effect this legions final moments.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• The Emperor orders the II legion to join him in the Terminus System. To those with psychic sight the world shines like gold. There, they find a world enthralled to the worship of the warp. As the legion and the Emperor make planet fall, a Daemonic incursion of staggering proportions happens. The legion fights the greatest foe it has ever known.

• With Icarion’s aid, the Emperor is able to locate the source of the incursion. A massive tear in reality centered on a broken device which once served as a means of intergalactic travel.

• The first entrance to the Webway is discovered. The portal is forced closed by the Emperors ordered destruction of the Planet.

• Either by design or necessity, the Emperor explains to Icarion the threat of the demonic as mankind’s true enemy. He then tasks Icarion and the Thunder Legion with dutifully seeking out those worlds lost to the demonic host, and purging them for the sake of all mankind. Closing those tears which threaten to consume the nascent Imperium. He also charges Icarion and his legion to never discuss the events of Terminus, this becomes known within the legion as the ‘Oath of Silence.’ The Emperor explains that the greater Imperium must not be allowed to know of the threat posed by the warp for as yet; it cannot exist without the use of warp space.

• The first Edict of Obliteration is enacted, wiping the Events, and the entire star system from imperial record.

• The legion begins it’s task of culling worlds breached by the warp and in the process begins accumulating lore on the means to combat the threat of the Neverborn.

• Over 50 years, while the great crusade grinds on, more than a hundred human world go silent, their disipearence unexplained to the wider Imperium. It is as though they never existed.

• The need to cull human worlds and the horrors they witness over and again begin to wear down the Legion’s Moral and faith with the Emperor. Icarion, so like his father, longs for the means to free humanity from the threat of the warp.

• In a moment of weakness, icarion pleads his frustrations to his father.

• The Emperor shares with Icarion his dream of creating a human webway, so that the Imperium will one day be free of the necessary evil of warp travel.

• The Emperor, sensing that the time has come to begin work on his great experiment, bestows to Icarion a mighty task. Still embroiled with the titanic responsibility of the leading the Great crusade, The Emperor orders Icarion to begin work on the initial experiments of crafting an Imperial Webway. To this end, he entrusts Icarion with an ancient device of arcane and unknown providence, When combined with the warp nexus at Madrigals core, the Emperor believes that this devices potential might be unlocked for the betterment of mankind. (Future generations will come to know this device as the Golden Throne)

• Icarion and his psychic Magi begin the process of constructing a manmade interface to the webway network (the first step towards a human webway)

• The experimental webway is completed and activated. At first it seems a miraculous success. However, Ward after ward begin failing as the warp begins to pour through the breached webway into madrigal.

• The Thunder Legion is committed en mass to stem the demonic tide, this becomes know as the Webway war.

• The Emperor becomes aware of the project after its failed first activation. He is forced to enact a terrible sanction. He orders the forced closing of the Madrigal portal for the knowledge that if left unchecked, Warp-space will spill out from Madrigal consuming all nearby systems.

• Icarion pleads with his father that together they can find a way to contain this threat and save his world.

• The Emperors heart is broken as he orders the Destruction of Madrigal for the greater good.

• Icarion and the II Legion refuse to follow the Emperors command. They will not abandon their world and allow it to be destroyed, even with the knowledge of the threat it poses if left unchecked.

• The Emperor Tells his sons that Icarion, their brother, has abandoned the great crusade. He points to the many Imperial worlds which have been purged of human life as examples of how "far" their brother has fallen. With this evidence of the II Legion's Madness, and their refusal to submit to the Emperor, the gathered Primarchs concede to the Emperors orders.

• The Emperor calls together a coalition force for the purpose of destroying a son, his Legion and their world.

• Icarion and his legion rise in defense of their world.

• The Siege of Madrigal begins.

• The Thunder Legion is stretched too thin fighting in the webway to attempt to protect their planet. So devastating are the neverborn incursions that's only 3 companies can be sparred from the webway war to Marshall the defenses of Madrigal and it's fleets against the emperors armies.

• The siege lasts a full year. The primary defenders are the II legion’s massive naval assets, led by Icarion and a handful of his legionaries not committed to the webway war. The defense of the planet is masterful but inevitably futile.

• Sensing the imminent defeat in the webway, Icarion communes with his father. In a moment of impossible clarity, The emperor and Icarion’s intellect merge and the II Primarch is struck with a vision on the means to save his sons, and his world.

• In a hypnotic daze, he locks himself away to begin work on one of the most powerful incantations ever attempted.

• As the webway war finally comes to it’s conclusion, and the defenses of Madrigal finally fail, Icarion emerges.

• Icarion informs his sons that he did complete the spell, but that they must not use it. Madrigal and by extension Icarion and his sons, must be left to their fate.

• The truth is that The Terminus Decree was Icarions greatest work, the single most powerful spell ever crafted. A psychic artifact of unimaginable potency that would Purge the webway of demonic incursion and strengthen it from any future breaches. While it would have saved madrigal and repaired their experimental stunted-webway, it would come at a cost. A spell capable of cleansing the webway would consequently seal off the material galaxy from the warp. Effectively, the barrier between realspace and warpspace would become impermeable, preventing a warp breach, but making conventional warp travel impossible. To do so now, without a human webway connecting every world in place, would doom mankind to a solitary death; forever locking away each world from it’s sisters. It was an impossible choice; to be forever free of the warp and die, or to live knowing hungering gods would eventually claim them all. So it was that Icarion solemnly choose to let Madrigal die, so that the Imperium and Emperors great work could have a chance to live.

• So resolved, Icarion set out to deactivate the Planetary defense field. Allowing the Emperor to enact his judgement upon the planet and saving the rest of the system and sector from the massive demonic incursion spilling out from the failing webway.

• He dispatches his last Living Sentinel, Athrawes of the 9th with instructions to escape Madrigal before the field collapses with the Terminus decree, and to present it to the Emperor when madrigal is at last no more.

• The Emperor and his fleet begin bombarding Madrigal, to try and prevent a full-scale daemonic incursion from spilling out into neighboring sectors.

• An edict of Obliteration is enacted, wiping The II Legion and Icarion from Imperial Records.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The second version is similar in most ways, however, in it, the Emperor never orders Icarion to work on the Webway. Instead Icarion continues his mission to purge worlds that have suffered demonic outbreaks. On one, a world which is slowly falling into the warp, He is confronted by heralds of the Pantheon, who show him the deals which the Emperor had made with the Gods for power. Even showing Icarion glimpses of the role chaos played (at the emperors hands) in making the Primarchs.

However, The plan backfires, Instead of bringing Icarion's loyalty to the side of chaos he is reviled by them. Icarion is devastated that the His father would commune with such evil. In Icarions eyes, this act has tainted everything the Emperor has tried to achieve.

Angered and betrayed, Icarion confronts his father, The confrontation goes poorly but not before Icarion gets a glimpse of what the emperor will now do to him and his Legion for the Greater good of the Imperium.

In this version, the demonic tear on madrigal is caused by Magisters who after years of studying the relics sent back to madrigal by Icarion's Purgation forces have become corrupted.

In this version, The Legion is still split with some fighting against the demonic spill and the rest fighting against the siege forces.

Additionally, in this version Icarion doesnt sacrifice himself to hold shut the webway, instead, he commits suicide after a duel with his brother Russ.

+++++++++++++++

that first story is friggin epic. you could make it uber tragic potentially, in holding back the tide, icarion has to bind demonic essences to himself to stop them breaking through. russ makes it to Icarion, and in seeing all the evil he is fighting off russ helps icarion. but to seal it and stop the incursion Icarion has to die and begs Russ to kill him? i want to shed man tears for the 2nd and i've been trying to figure out if i can sneak in a piece of your legion, be it a shoulder pad or helm, on one of my night lords somewhere. Have really been enjoying this thread. apologies for bad grammar or spelling, on the phone plus being attacked by my 2 year old for minnirella

Well I love both, and I think a more fleshed out version of the second story would help it compare more favourably with the first.

The second story is pretty much what I was expecting you to go with. I personally love the idea of Icarion turning against the emperor because of his bargains with Chaos in the creation of the Primarchs. It is in stark contrast to the betrayals of the heresy, as Icarion dies through taking the 'higher ground', and is essentially proved correct. I really like this idea, and the potential impact of the duel and suicide on Russ.

Having said that the first story is truly epic. You've really worked the second legion into the core ideas of the 30K universe in it, and given them a central place. It feels very plausible, and has a lovely narrative. In a way though you could argue that the legion were 'wrong' initially in this scenario though, chosing to save their world over the Imperium. I'm not sure this meshes with my perception of the IInd, but then that is almost certainly my error! I also think that you would need more of a climax than a simple bombardment to end them. Their death deserves a face-to-face confrontation.

Which ever you pick, I'm certain you'll do it justice. I really can see this project ending with your very own Horus Heresy Forge-world-esqe chapter for the IInd legion. Its very exciting!

I'm really glad that people seem to be enjoying the tragedy I'm trying to create for the II. 

I do want to clarify something however. Telling my that you like version 1 more than version 2 is helpful, but I didn't really intend for this to a competition between the two. I would much rather hear what parts you like, don't like, ideas you might have to make it better, maybe some way to combine elements of both versions.

I want the story of the II to be an epic tragedy.

Ultimately, I'd also like to know if you feel this fits in with the setting and lore or not. If the narrative seems plausible (as far as Warhammer can be plausible).

Thank you guys so much and please keep voicing your opinions. I may be doing the writing, commissioning artwork and modeling but I keep thinking of this as a B&C community endeavor. 

• The Emperor Tells his sons that Icarion, their brother, has abandoned the great crusade. He points to the many Imperial worlds which have been purged of human life as examples of how "far" their brother has fallen. With this evidence of the II Legion's Madness, and their refusal to submit to the Emperor, the gathered Primarchs concede to the Emperors orders.

This bit just doesn't seem like the Emperor. When he dealt with Lorgar he consulted his sons, when he dealt with Magnus (the first time - Nikea) he consulted his sons.

• Sensing the imminent defeat in the webway, Icarion communes with his father. In a moment of impossible clarity, The emperor and Icarion’s intellect merge and the II Primarch is struck with a vision on the means to save his sons, and his world.

• In a hypnotic daze, he locks himself away to begin work on one of the most powerful incantations ever attempted.

• So resolved, Icarion set out to deactivate the Planetary defense field. Allowing the Emperor to enact his judgement upon the planet and saving the rest of the system and sector from the massive demonic incursion spilling out from the failing webway.

These bits are all basically the same as with Magnus and the Thousand Sons.

"Touches mind with Emperor - gains clarity"

"Powerful incantation" which is like Magnus' Interstellar teleportation (first to speak with the Emperor, next to save his Legion).

"Deactivating the defences" same thing Magnus did at first when the Wolves came.

It reads too much the same.

Reasons I like option one better

a. I love the imperial webway fluff stuff.

b. I like to see that the emperor is flawed and makes mistakes (i.e. his handling of this).

c. Cutting off the cancer caused by your very own decisions is a very in universe thing to do (even when it is unclear if all is lost).

I've made a few tweak to siege of madrigal portion, what do you guys think?

++++

• Icarion pleads with his father that together they can find a way to contain this threat and save his world.
• The Emperors heart is broken as he orders the Destruction of Madrigal for the greater good.

• Icarion and the II Legion refuse to follow the Emperors command. They will not abandon their world and allow it to be destroyed, even with the knowledge of the threat it poses if left unchecked.

• The Emperor Convenes his loyal sons for council. He knows that the action of fighting their brother would be unpalatable if they knew the truth. The emperor decides that He cannot entrust the secrets of the warp to any of his other sons for fear that they would not understand. Instead he tells them that Icarion, their brother, has abandoned the great crusade. He points to the many Imperial worlds which have been purged of human life as examples of how "far" their brother has fallen. With this evidence of the II Legion's madness, and the Legion's refusal to submit to the Emperor, the gathered Primarchs concede to the Emperors request, and conclude that their brother must be destroyed along with his world.

• The Emperor calls together a coalition force for the purpose of destroying a son, his Legion and their world.

• Icarion and his legion rise in defense of their world.

• The Siege of Madrigal begins.

• The Imperial forces begin a long series of fleet engagements whereby they move from world to world attempting to push their way toward Madrigal and the center of the Systems defenses.

• The Emperor and his forces ultimate goal is to carry a vortex warhead to madrigals core, and detonate it collapsing the planet in on itself and sealing the breach.

• The Thunder Legion is stretched thin fighting in the webway and so cannot bring their full force to bear in the protection of their planet.

• The siege lasts a full year. The primary defenders are the II legion’s massive naval assets, led by Icarion and a handful of his legionaries not committed to the webway war. The defense of the planet is masterful but inevitably futile.

• Sensing the inevitable defeat in the webway, Icarion communes with his father psychically.  He begs his father to relent the attack. That there must be some way to seal off the warp infecting his world. The Emperor rebukes all his advances and the psychic confrontation leaves Icarion Comatose for weeks.

• The II Legion fleet is nearly wiped out follwing a series of daring raids around the Gas Giant Ziro. This leaves Madrigal almost defenseless.

• The battle of Akira takes place.

• Madrigals moon is the lynchpin of the planets defensive grid. Neutralizing the weapons batteries on Akira would leave Madrigal open to direct invasion. Without the II Legion fleet to aid in the defenses, the Imperiums forces land on the Surface of Akira.

• The first large scale Legion ground war of the conflict commences.

• Akira falls.

• As the webway war finally comes to it’s conclusion, and the defenses of Madrigal finally fail, Icarion emerges from his psychically induced dream-state.

• Icarion informs his sons that in his dream-state he did manage to complete a functioning device, but that they must not use it. Layer upon layer of dangerous sanctic spell work were inscribed upon arcane and ultimately unknowable technologies. Madrigal and by extension Icarion and his sons, must be left to their fate.

• This arcane device would become known Terminus Decree. It was in no uncertain terms Icarions greatest work, perhaps the single most powerful spell ever crafted combined with technologies gleamed from the Warp Nexus. The decree is psychic artifact of unimaginable potency that would Purge the webway of demonic incursion and strengthen it from any future breaches. While it would have saved madrigal and repaired their experimental stunted-webway, it would come at a cost. A spell capable of cleansing the webway would consequently seal off the material galaxy from the warp. Effectively, the barrier between realspace and warpspace would become impermeable, preventing a warp breach, but making conventional warp travel impossible. To do so now, without a human webway connecting every world in place, would doom mankind to a solitary death; forever locking away each world from it’s sisters.  It was an impossible choice; to be forever free of the warp and die, or to live knowing hungering gods would eventually claim them all. So it was that Icarion solemnly choose to let Madrigal die, so that the Imperium and Emperors great work could have a chance to live.

• Icarion explains that the Decree must survive no matter the cost. But it was constructed using the warp nexus that powered many of the psychic defenses holding the collapsed webway closed.  With the nexus detached, the neverborn are able to spill through the tear in reality. Icarion resigns himself to use what power he has left to try and hold the webway shut for as long as possible, giving his remaining sons a chance to salvage what they can from crumbling surface of Madrigal.

• Without the warp nexus powering the planets defenses, the emperors armies are able to land en mass.

• Icarion dispatches his last Living Sentinel, Athrawes of the 9th with instructions to escape Madrigal before the field collapses with the Terminus decree, and to present it to the Emperor when madrigal is at last no more.

• Russ carrying a vortex warhead, is the first Primarch to reach the gateway.

• Icarion and Russ duel at the edge of the breach in reality.

• The brothers are equally matched but Icarion grows weary from the strain of trying to hold the breach closed through a sheer force of will. Russ is poised to strike the killing blow but cannot bring himself to do it. Russ is disarmed and Icarion, after a brief conversation with his brother carries the vortex warhead with him through the breach and detonates it.

• At the instant of death, Icarions psychic power unchained from his mortal shell and fueled by the immense power of the vortex device is able to collapse the webway breach in on itself. Sealing the tear.

• With Icarion’s death, the siege of Madrigal ends.

• An edict of Obliteration is enacted, wiping The II Legion and Icarion from Imperial Records.

• The Emperor Convenes his loyal sons for council. He knows that the action of fighting their brother would be unpalatable if they knew the truth. The emperor decides that He cannot entrust the secrets of the warp to any of his other sons for fear that they would not understand. Instead he tells them that Icarion, their brother, has abandoned the gr 

I think it might be stronger if instead of "for fear that they would not understand" he did it for fear that it would corrupt them like he believes it has corrupted Icarion.

• The Emperor Convenes his loyal sons for council. He knows that the action of fighting their brother would be unpalatable if they knew the truth. The emperor decides that He cannot entrust the secrets of the warp to any of his other sons for fear that they would not understand. Instead he tells them that Icarion, their brother, has abandoned the gr 

I think it might be stronger if instead of "for fear that they would not understand" he did it for fear that it would corrupt them like he believes it has corrupted Icarion.

I agree with that

Archived