++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Thanks, peeps!

I had to get the Aspiring Champion of the MkV Berzerkers out of my system, so here he is!

nzqPUMm.jpg

oIOkZdO.jpg

Suitably brutal looking, wouldn't you agree? :biggrin.: 

I used the ol' 'use a juggernaut collar as a halo'-type idea and kinda went with it. It was a bit nerve wracking to cut the collar to fit the old backpack, but in the end, it fit perfectly and it glued on like a dream - hurray!

Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think, I appreciate and reply to any and all comments. 

Cheers

Replies:

@BCK: Well thank you, kind sir. :) 

@ BadgersinHills: Cheers, buddy. 

@ Doghouse: Ha! Well that's high praise, especially from someone the likes of your stature - although I'm unfamiliar with your actuial height. 

@ Smoke Frog: Hey man, that's nice of you to say. I haven't seen you commenting on this thread before (and if you have, I apologize for not remembring) so welcome to the thread! If you haven't already, I made a bit of an index on the first post of the thread, so go and check it out if you so please. :) 

My love to you Augustus, losses within your pack are never easy.

I still love your work here brother, incredible as always and a major inspiration.

Keep your spirits high or failing that At least keep your blood-spirit level high.

@ Doghouse: Ha! Well that's high praise, especially from someone the likes of your stature - although I'm unfamiliar with your actuial height. 

I am a mighty giant that strides the lands a top a winged horse with the face of a Lion made of Lego called Waffles.

Loving the claws on that guy, makes him look brutal.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, peeps!

Made another Berzerker. 

OC8n190.jpg

MZVznzB.jpg

Had the weapons the other way around before, but realized the MkIII squad has a very, very similarly posed dude with that combo as well, so I gave the chainsword to the right hand. 

Like it?

Another 'standard' berzeker (meaning he has one both of 'regular' chainsword and chainaxe). 

3bLOVx5.jpg

kCzzmEq.jpg

I really, really enjoyed using this ancient backpack - I found it in the depths of one of my many, many bits boxes and it brought me back to my starting years into the hobby. I hated it back then, favouring the other two backpacks in production back then, but I have come to appreciate the bulk of this thing since then. 

Cheers!

Replies:

@ LameBeard: Cheers bud. The Lightning claws are just standard claws from the Raptors box, just with new arms down to below the elbows to create a completely new pose. 

@ Wulf Vengis: Cheers bud. Extra kudos for phrasing it as a proper Space Wolf player. :biggrin.:

@ Shovellovin: Thank you! I'll be sure to recreate that picture when he's fully painted. I'll try and do the updated shot. 

@ Doghouse: 

I am a mighty giant that strides the lands a top a winged horse with the face of a Lion made of Lego called Waffles.

Oh man, dat's beaudiful. Is that Shakespeare? ;) :biggrin.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Cheers, you two. :smile.:

@ BadgersinHills: that's kind of you to say, thanks!

@ ElDuderiono: thanks, buddy. I get what you're saying but with the amount of heresy armour, I feel like sometimes it's more of the occasional chaos part :teehee:

Anyway, here's the icon bearer. I've longhad an internal debate about what I should use as an icon - if I should even use an icon, and not create a banner of my own, like I did on the Red Butcher terminators a couple pages back. What I did know for sure is that I wanted the bearers of the three intended squads of eight berzerkers to not have the pole all in the same hand, so I might as well do this MkV squad's pole as a righty, as the MkIII squad's bearer had the pole in his left hand. I've used the Bloodletter icon hand for this - and its spiky nature inspired me to use the AoS Blood Reaver icon. Coupled with a blood warrior helmet ad the Possessed backpack, I think he exudes a very archaic feel, which I kinda like as a counterpart to the relatively clean 30k style berzerkers. 

5nHQ72m.jpg

AuqZAB0.jpg

I hop you like him. Let me know what you think. 

Cheers

Hey Aug, glad to see you still chugging stuff!
I really like the MkV Aspiring Champion, especially the the great halo on his back - fantastically over-powered! Clearly he means business!

I see what you did there with those sticks on his base - "Hana yori dango", eh? :wink:

Another World Eater - already the second to last for a whole squad of 8 MkV armoured berzerkers. 

As I've stated before, I'm enjoying giving each fo the eight guys a kind of archetype role. I guess I could list them, so here goes:

Champion, Icon Bearer, Hornblower, Large axe wielder, large chainsword wielder, guy with shield, active axe+sword wielder, stoic axe+sword wielder. The two guys I posted in the post before the icon bearer, above, are the last two guys, respectively. The guy in this post is, quite obviously, the guy with shield. :wink:

S5WUQAQ.jpg

da0k6Vt.jpg

I wanted him to contrast with the MkIII guy with shield in that that dude has a more passive, come-at-me-bro stance, and the guy above is more of a no nonsense, I'll charge right at you kind of dude. I'm pretty pleased with the repose fo the MkV body, having it twist just a little more at the lower torso.

I hope you like him. 

Also, let me know what you think of this new format of presenting miniatures. Before, I psoted whole five-man squads in one post, and then a couple days later I'd have painted them and posted the entire painted squad. But these days I have so, so much less hobby time that that if I'd have kept that style up, I'd post only once every two months or so. Plus, I put a lot more effort in both the building and painting tage of every miniature, so I figured it'd be interesting to show every one of them from multiple angles. 

Let me know.

Cheers

Replies:

@ BCK: Hah thank you! I didn't expect this guy to get such nice feedbck to be honest - he feels so different than the others I feared he wouldn't 'tone' right with them. 

@ Sherrypie: Hmm, you did get me thinking about the icon. It is a bit OTT and comic-y, isn't it. Damn, now I'm doubting wether it was the right idea to use it. Maybe I should try and see if I can get some others? Or scratch build one?

@ jaxom: Haha yeah that was the thought - although now I am starting to doubt wether or not it was the tone I wanted this squad to excude. 

@ Brother Morgan: Thank buddy. Have you been to this thread before? I don't recognize your name. If you have, I'm sorry, but if you haven't: welcome!

@ Majkhel: Hey man, I'll never stop! So long as this board exists, I will keep updating this thread. My goal is to have it reach 1000 pages before I die. :wink: I have no idea what 'hana yori dango' means. My guess is it's some kind of anime reference? I was born in 1980 so my cartoon knowledge is limited to 'the toys that made us' 80's cartoons and adult stuff that came out in the last decade or so, like Archer and stuff. For reference, I can relate quite strongly to Frater rednekkboss and his antics, if that makes sense. :biggrin.:  

@ Badgersinhills: You're really nice!

'Hana yori dango' is a Japanese proverb meaning literally 'dango (a type of Japan sweets) over flowers" and it translates to 'practical over aesthetics'
Those ball-like things on sticks on the champion's base reminded me of dango sweets. And knowing the practical if a little single-minded philosophy of the World Eaters it all somehow came together in my head :)
Now that I googled it myself, I found that there is indeed an anime of the same title. But I'm not familiar with it, so any additional reference is lost to me as well :P 

By the way, I've only recently turned 40 and I definitely do not feel that kind of antiquity in my hobby. Yet :P

Cheers everyone! 

Some of you may remember I posted a WIP of a CHOOM-temptor a couple months back. The idea of it popped into my mind this summer, while swimming in the river that flows close to my house. It took a while for me to find the inspiration to actually start painting it, and when I finally did, I realized that the recast Volkite weapons I bought for it where just rubbish quality. I bought those thinking they had gone OOP, so I asked around for good 3D printed alternatives, when a mate pointed out that they hadn't actually gone OOP, but had become so popular that FW cannot keep up with demand and so has them listed Out of Stock most of hte time. So I pushed the 'email me' button and ordered four of them them as soon as I finally got their 'back in stock' notice. They went out of stock again that same day, haha! 

MldiCGQ.png

I started painting them and soon decided to paint them using Joe Moscardini's method of plasma OSL for them - for which I had to order new paints. And thus came the decision to not wait for those to arrive and just paint the damn contemptor with the Fist and Multimelta combo I also bought.

Here goes.

5GClWXp.jpg

wSjobvo.jpg

try91AN.jpg

F7rhPOW.jpg

lVAcFTT.jpg

5LmIo6h.jpg

cskLCAg.jpg

SS5rY1l.jpg

gVlO7Lu.jpg

I hope you like him!

Massive thanks by the way to Kizzdougs btw because he posted his Warhounds schemed World Eaters contemptor a couple months back and all the inspiration for the painting of this one came from him. I quite like the idea of honouring a dreadnought's ancient frame by not altering his colour scheme - and I plan on doing the next one in the same fashion. 

let me know what you think. 

Cheers!

Replies:

@ BCK: Thanks bud. I appreciate it. I'm still not 100% sure I quite like that particular icon for hi, but he's a great placeholder until I am sure - or have replaced it with something better.

@ Majkhel: Aha! I had no idea and I am glad you are here to enlighten me on these things (no sarcasm at all btw). I admit the Japanese language is a massive blind spot for me. I'm reasonably familiar with its history - having done several high-graded papers on the country's hitsorical economics during my university years - but the language eludes me! Also, well give it a year or two and you'll feel it :wink:

@ BadgersinHills: Cheers! That helmet is actually an amalgam of a Blood Warrior's crest and the helmet of a Skullcrusher :biggrin.:

Very cool pose on your dreadnought. Contemptor dreadnoughts have the ability to have dynamic poses so it's always good to see one posed that way. The fist and melta look good (I like the heat burn on the melta).

I'm curious how you'll paint the volkite. I'm not familiar with Joe Moscardini.