You know you're a Sister of Battle player when...

nah...eldar are just space elves!

They are, but they also have Oriental (Maybe more Chinese than Japanese, I only know so much about China, and Japan, so I can't really say.), and Celtic aspects.

I'm not comparing them to Japanese in general. I'm comparing them specifically to the young, brave, UNsexualized female protagonists of manga.

nah...eldar are just space elves!

They are, but they also have Oriental (Maybe more Chinese than Japanese, I only know so much about China, and Japan, so I can't really say.), and Celtic aspects.

I'm not comparing them to Japanese in general. I'm comparing them specifically to the young, brave, UNsexualized female protagonists of manga.

I don't know, a lot of the sisters don't seem that young, and I'm not sure how brave you are when dying for the Emperor is better than living for yourself. What I'm saying is, I think that those SoBs might be a little crazy.

Is it crazy to put yourself between the foe and your family?

Is it crazy to trust that you do the Right Thing?

Is it crazy to fight, knowing that death is your gift - your own as much as your enemies'?

Besides, the shoujo comparison isn't fair. For every shoujo manga about a plucky young girl taking on the odds and winning, there's one about a hopeless romantic who is only interested in boys and flowers. For every Homura, there's a Sayaka, and that's just within one show. For every Nanoha Takamachi (who is arguably a shounen character), there's a Yukino Miyazawa.

I don't know, a lot of the sisters don't seem that young, and I'm not sure how brave you are when dying for the Emperor is better than living for yourself. What I'm saying is, I think that those SoBs might be a little crazy.

See, I'd been under the perhaps naive impression that preparedness to die for the cause was something close to the heart of bushido. Warriors could only fight to their utmost effectiveness when they placed the enemy's destruction as paramount in their mind and paid scant heed to self preservation.

That's... not quite how bushido works.

The code of bushido states that a samurai must fight as if he is already dead. A samurai knows no fear in the face of his enemy, for the only thing to fear is a dishonourable death, and in taking up the sword of their master in war they have already died honourably.

You know you are a sisters of battle player when " your friends thinks they  need  more flyers  to play better, and put a great smile to them  becouse you dont have any in the codex, but still take it dawn the enemy flyers and win games" 

See, I'd been under the perhaps naive impression that preparedness to die for the cause was something close to the heart of bushido. Warriors could only fight to their utmost effectiveness when they placed the enemy's destruction as paramount in their mind and paid scant heed to self preservation.

That's... not quite how bushido works.

The code of bushido states that a samurai must fight as if he is already dead. A samurai knows no fear in the face of his enemy, for the only thing to fear is a dishonourable death, and in taking up the sword of their master in war they have already died honourably.

Forgive me, I'm not quite seeing the difference. I'll ask you to expound.

The Bushi is prepared to die the honourable death in combat. Not being so prepared to lay down their lives for their lord's cause is dishonourable. Not being prepared to sacrifice themselves could compromise their combat effectiveness.

To relate this back to the Sororita and 40k in general, the fluff often talks about sisters, and other imperial forces, dying to the last member rather than yielding. The sisters' greatest fear is not death, but failing the Emperor, their lord, by taking up the bolt gun they've already committed themselves.

The sisters' greatest fear is not death, but failing the Emperor, their lord, by taking up the bolt gun they've already committed themselves.

I thought their greatest fear was the phrase "slide down and relax."

Depends upon the order.

It's the difference between tension and relaxation.

Being prepared to die for the cause is a state of tension. You are keyed up, stressed, your muscles are tense and stiff. You are thinking about your potential death, and whether it will be sufficient.

Acting as though you are already dead is a state of relaxation. You are calm, accepting, and your muscles are relaxed and ready to obey. You do not consider your potential death, because there are no more sacrifices to make. You have prepared, and now you will succeed.

Anyone with weapons training will tell you that tenseness is the bane of accuracy and control. Half the point of warrior philosophy is to internalise concepts and ideas to combat combat-tension and regain that control.

It's all part of the same philosophy that grew from learning to break bricks with your fist. You do not aim to break the brick, because the brick is harder than your hand, at least to your own perception - the body has natural limiters that prevent you from using its full power, because its full power is potentially damaging to it. You aim to place your hand on the other side of where the bricks are, and fool your body into releasing those limiters temporarily.

As a comparison, the  Astartes are ready to die for their cause. The Death Korps of Krieg have accepted that they are already dead. The Sisters straddle the gap between the two. I like to think of Acts of Faith as them finding that zen place between tension and battle-calm and just moving.

I dispute none of what you've said about tension being the bane, but I will argue that if the threat of death is a source of tension one is not truely prepared for it. Not being prepared, and thus able to calm oneself reduces accuracy, as you say, and consequently compromises combat effectiveness, as I said.

For me it goes back to the ice hockey near and dear to my Canadian childhood: it's much easier to beat the goalie and pick off the top corner when you stop worrying about the defenceman who's already on his way to goon you as you do it. Actually, I spent the vast majority of my minor hockey career playing defence and most of my experience was the inverse, forwards were much easier to defend against once you'd gotten into their heads and made them afraid of being gooned. If I could make them lose their cool they'd already lost.

You know you're a Sisters of Battle player when you ask yourself not "What would the Emperor do?", but "What would the Honoured Saints do?" 

• 7 months later...

Threadomancy! Purge with extreme righteous prejudice if necessary.

* When a murderer is killed in self-defense and countless people go in the street to protest this "injustice," you think to yourself: 'Break out the Immolators!'

* Actually, that's your default thought whenever protests are involved.

* You're still hoping Leviathan will show a surprise plastic update.

++ EDIT. Removed inappropriate content. -t ++

Edited by thade

The innuendo-laden posts have been laid to rest (via melta bombs).

This thread's already a necro but it's one people like, so let's just...keep it on topic and veer clear of some of the more family-unfriendly topics we were flirting with up there. <3

As you were.

You know you are a sisters of battle player when " your friends thinks they  need  more flyers  to play better, and put a great smile to them  becouse you dont have any in the codex, but still take it dawn the enemy flyers and win games" 

Rolling 3's like a pro on mysterious objectives and than park you Exorcist on them following it up by rolling a 6 on every d6 you roll afterwards. Who needs specialized anti air anyway.

Penitent Engines aren't piloted by Sisters. They're direct Ecclesiarchy, like Priests and Battle Conclaves.

You know you're a Sisters player when that distinction is important to you.

I know, thats why I rarely run them.

Its the chief distintion between them and repentia.

Rolling 3's like a pro on mysterious objectives and than park you Exorcist on them following it up by rolling a 6 on every d6 you roll afterwards. Who needs specialized anti air anyway.

Adding to this.

You know your a Sisters player when your answer to Flyers is more tanks...  Something got to hit with all that twin linked firepower right? ;)