WarriorFish's ETL III - Eleven Barrels of Hell

Thanks comrades, your kind words are the icing on the cake for finishing models :) I'd give you a muffin I made but there are insurmountable logistical issues with that :lol: I'm glad they give the elite vibe as that's what I'm going for :)

Two Hydras are my 3rd vow, I'm excited to make it past the 2 vows I did last ETL. I'm off on holiday for 10 days or so in just over a week so time is limited but I'm quick with tanks and I've dedicated the daylight hours tomorrow to them so I'm optimistic I have a chance to finish them before I go. If so, I'll see what models I can fit in before the ETL's end for a 4th vow :D

I'll assemble the Hydras tomorrow and officially declare my vow with their WIP shots, I'll try and remember to get some better (relatively :P ) pictures of the Platoon too. I'd be happy to give a small tutorial on my camouflage scheme later but I might need reminding :lol:

Hydras and not Wyverns? Interesting choice, but understandable as I've found Guard don't do Ground-based Anti-Air as well as my Tau can, (but then, who does?) I'm personally buying a Wyvern soon, so it'd be cool to hear from you if there's any hope of interchanging the parts on the fly as needed.

Excellent work on the Guardsmen, though, and at a rapid pace, too! Aiming to get the boots on the ground before you fly off to yonder shores? :P

I'm going to have them swapping out, so I'll be painting the Hydra's cannons so that's what they are for the vow :) Plus it's a whole 5pts more expensive than a Wyvern :lol:

Unfortunately I've only just managed to crawl out of bed due to illness, so pottering about online is all I have the energy for :( I'll start work on the vow as soon as I can, I'm still aiming to get them done before jetting off to the other side of the World for a week and a bit!

Way to go warriorFishthumbsup.gif They look amazing. Oh, and more muffins to the gamerslaugh.png

Clearly your local Apothecary must be investigated for any Chaos influence, or is his name Alphariuslaugh.png

Thanks guys, I'm feeling much better today now I've had some more sleep and food. With the day off work to properly recover I'm sure I can find something to do that doesn't require too much effort later on. I hear plastic glue fumes aid convalescence wonderfully... :P

Thanks sox, just for you a muffin (it got squashed though):

gallery_30308_3239_25014.jpg

I've started work on one of the kits and Emperor's biscuits I'm glad the Wyvern is so good because after all this effort it better bloody be! So many bits and funny positioning, it's not a tank that wants to be built and painted easily! I think a fair amount will have to be unassembled for the most part just so I can paint all parts easily. Then there's the parts that can be categorised as "stuff that will break off before the first game"... tongue.png

Here's the tank and bits as it stands, with the gun assembly dry fitted:

gallery_30308_9560_36002.jpg

I've got an idea about how best to do the Hydra cannon swap, I'm thinking of doing a detailed picture log of what I'm doing and why for future reference should anyone else want to do the same but I've had enough for now. Time to make my vow official in the ETL topic then I'm taking it easy for the rest of the day smile.png

Glad to hear you're better.

Please do that picture log if you can. My Wyvern remains in it's box until I have time to tackle it properly.

Plus I still have my first vow to complete!

Glad to hear it looks like you'll be able to make it interchangeable.

Slow at the moment, I've done a bit but I've mostly been looking at ways to best build it. I'm quite busy organising for my holiday next week, I'm hoping to get it all sorted soon so I can dedicate some time over the weekend to my models :D

Another fine day, the sun does indeed shine on the righteous msn-wink.gif I have finished assembling the first Hydra including the modifications so it can swap out to a Wyvern. As you'd expect there are a couple of compromises but I think they're not going to be noticed:

I trimmed down the cannon bit - top is before bottom after so it can be inserted:

gallery_30308_9560_15372.jpg

Then glue a couple of bits inside the assembly as stoppers:

gallery_30308_9560_16779.jpg

So the cannons can go in like so. Note that this is the first compromise as the cannon will be a little shorter but this is moot really, plus sinking it in makes sure it is a nice and secure fit:

gallery_30308_9560_27246.jpg

I think it works very well, here is compromise number 2 in the form of the Wyvern not having the barrel ends. I think it looks fine:

gallery_30308_9560_35305.jpg

Finally, here is the assembled Hydra:

gallery_30308_9560_87395.jpg

The final compromise is the ammunition type. I could have magnetised it but it seemed a bit OTT, plus with the Wyvern ammo cases you can't tell what is inside so it works well. That and I see autocannon ammo boxes everywhere so it's a nice change (and looks like the Hydra might be able to shoot down more than one aircraft before having to reload!).

Otherwise the tank is mostly unassembled, the cannons, shield and uprights are just dry assembled here and the crewman is glued together but not to the rotating platform or the central bit, which has been glued together ready for final assembly once everything is painted. Oh yes, and the three wheel valve things and the display lever on the shield are separate and I also haven't glued the front of the chassis as that would hide some of the details just in front of the rotation platform from my paint brush tongue.png

I also decided against the second crewman as he doesn't do much plus that means an extra pair of kneeling legs msn-wink.gif Anyway, I hope that explains how I did it let me know if you have any questions! For now I've got another Hydra to assemble biggrin.png

As someone who built the Wyvern, I'd say it'd be fairly awkward to still have it be able to rotate the guns, swivel on the spot within the chassis, and fit into the aesthetic. I think it'd definitely need a less boxy approach.

That was my point, the crewmen occupy an area that has 360 degree swivelling and gun rotation. Trust me, when you get the model in hand, you'll see it'll be awkward to achieve.

IMO, the Enclosed Compartment upgrade isn't worth it on Wyverns. Best taken cheap.

Archived