Oh. Oh, sonovagun. I just realized something, timeline-wise. This is the 21st Founding, right? The Cursed? That means this is prior to the Age of Apostasy.

There are no Sisters of Battle yet.

Hell. I gotta go fix my 'Briefing' later and amend the Canoness and Tala's armour source.

Ah crud, welp, there goes my idea for a Sororitas Order dedicated to protecting an Psychic Beacon known as the Lighthouse used to guide ships going to and from the Cluster and the rest of the Imperium. Ah nevermind, I could decide on their dang colours anyway. :sweat:

That's a shame, because that idea sounds awesome.

Oh. Oh, sonovagun. I just realized something, timeline-wise. This is the 21st Founding, right? The Cursed? That means this is prior to the Age of Apostasy.

Hell. I gotta go fix my 'Briefing' later and amend the Canoness and Tala's armour source.

Ah crud, welp, there goes my idea for a Sororitas Order dedicated to protecting an Psychic Beacon known as the Lighthouse used to guide ships going to and from the Cluster and the rest of the Imperium. Ah nevermind, I could decide on their dang colours anyway. :sweat:

There are no Sisters of Battle at the very beginning. But there would certainly be Sisters of Battle that would come to the Liber Cluster once officially founded.

Dates are a bit fuzzy, but I found that Sebastian Thor, who is the guy who ended the Age of Apostasy, was born 238.M36. By 270.M38, Thor is the Ecclesiarch, Vandire is already dead, and the Adepta Sororitas have been officially founded. So somewhere in-between those dates is when the Sisters are first born anew from their previous incarnation as the Emperor's Brides. That's somewhere between 2-3 centuries, closer to 2, after the Imperium returns to the Liber Cluster.

The Ullanor Triumph occurred on the 200th year of the Great Crusade. Considering how the Age of Apostasy and Reign of Blood would wreck havoc on the Imperium's first couple centuries in the Cluster (for the same reason why the Nova-Terra Interregnum messed with the first attempt), and considering how these Imperial forces would be far less grand than the Great Crusade Expedition Fleets, it stands to reason that, even though the space is much smaller, it would take longer for us to reach our Ullanor equivalent. 

Meaning 1000heathens need not rewrite much of the debriefing, for that Canoness could be a first or second generation Sister of Battle. Tala might need to be rewritten, but you could say that her gear bears all the trademarks of early, mortal-sized power armor , predecessor to the later plate utilized by the Sisters. Their Thunder Armor equivalent, if you will.

SanguiniusReborn, you can keep your Order, just keep in mind that it was a while before the Sisterhoods were broken apart into different Orders. The first was about a century after their first founding, which is probably around the first time that smaller, named Orders began appearing as well.

I was gonna keep it simple and say she tore it from the body of a female Inquisitor, thus why she's on their crap-list now.  :tongue.:

"What's that? No, it's a lower case 't.' See the cross bar? For Tala, get it? Ugh, for the last time, it's not an 'I!' "

I was gonna keep it simple and say she tore it from the body of a female Inquisitor, thus why she's on their crap-list now.  :tongue.:

"What's that? No, it's a lower case 't.' See the cross bar? For Tala, get it? Ugh, for the last time, it's not an 'I!' "

And thus why she keeps killing crewmen.  :lol:

PBI=Poor Bloody Infantry

Aha. Cheers.

Cheers to the boys and gals in the British Army. They taught me that one in Iraq.  :)

That's a shame, because that idea sounds awesome.

Thanks, I also had trouble settling on a name for them, I had it along the lines of "Order of the Light Enduring" though I had also seriously considered "Order of the Light Fantastic." :tongue.:  Their symbol would have been a tall pillar with a torch atop it.

The Eagles and Sentinels will strike the heavily fortified world of Baluarte. Imperial records report it to be a merchant world that has many imports and exports pass through it each day.

The local area around the planet is patrolled by a large contingent of the varied fleets of the Lions, with two of Baluarte's moons being outfitted for orbital defense. Planetside, all manners of fortifications exist, artificial and natural. The largest city, Dorado, is carved into a mountanside and has mountain ridges on it's north and south borders. The only way into the city is via air transport or traversing the mountainous terrain leading to the city gates.

The main objective for the Sentinels and the Eagles is to secure Dorado and take control of the world. It is believed that in doing so, a large blow will be dealt to Al-Rashid Ibn Khroda's supply lines and his armies crippled.

Room for improvement, something I was mulling over in my head that I can use as a base and elaborate on later. Not sure if the ways of the Eagles are rubbing off on me, but I thought that the two chapters would be assigned to a mission of greater than normal importance, given their track record of getting the job done quickly and efficiently. And don't worry, losses shall be substantial; the duo is colliding head on with a force that greatly outnumbers them and is entrenched.

Random remarks INCOMING!

I don't know about the Lions having a "merchant planet". Al-Rashid strikes me as the type to operate more like this:

Now, whenever he wanted something, Huron Blackheart simply reached out with the might of his loyal Red Corsairs, and he took it. His greedy, grasping claws closed around objects, people, and entire star systems and stole them away. Occasionally, though, he would come upon a treasure he could not simply claim.

When this happened, he would be roused from the shadows in which he now existed and he would hunt down his quarry in an entirely different manner. He would sit down with the agents of the most powerful and influential and he would talk.

He would barter and negotiate, bringing his considerable charisma and cunning to the fore, and he would make more deals. His reputation preceded him wherever he went, and many wisely shied away from reaching any sort of arrangement with the Tyrant of Badab, fearing for their lives. But there were many more who boldy sealed their agreements with him in blood.

Sometimes, Huron Blackheart even kept his word.

-The Bitter End, by Sarah Cawkwell

Basically, for the Lions to cut a deal with you, you have to have something they want or need, and be heavily armed enough that they can't just take it from you. Which is a fairly uncommon combination. Again, MY opinion.

I have to say I agree with Wade, I reckon if the Lions wanted something they'd just take it, they wouldn't "trade" as such within their own borders, or at least not to the extent were they'd have a planet dedicated to trade and commerce. Perhaps a better target for the Eagles and Sentinels to hit would be a major naval port for the Lion's fleet, high-risk, but if they could do it it could seriously hamper the Lion's navy across the sector.

Basically, we Pearl Harbor the sons of gretchin. :furious:

Though of course this being the Lions' turf you know we're going take a pounding, the only question is will the two chapters actually work together enough to figuratively sink Al-Rashid's battleship? Or will they just break against the Lions' defences like the tide against the rocks?:confused:

Anyway, going back to the merchant world idea, I can see a logical explanation for such a planet's presence if Al-Rashid has a lil'bit of Guilliman in him and seeks to build his own Empire. Given that precious little is known about the man, let alone his personality, I see it being as likely as any other theory about his goals. The man's built an army, a damned impressive one at that, but why? What for? To conquer 18 worlds and leave it at that? I don't think so, Astartes, especially traitors, don't think small like that, they're not just gonna retire, settle down with a nice gal and raise a family (assuming they even can). :blink.:

Perhaps in the isolation of the Cluster he sought to build his own empire, a new civilization of his own making, far from the greedy eyes and grasping hands of the Imperium. For what purpose, good or ill, is another question entirely...

I'll happily go with either scenario, it does seem more likely to assault a naval port, the Lions are kind of pirates; take out the ships and how do they go anywhere?

Seems like a good plan to me.

Nabaretti. Nabarri sounds oddly like those war dogs from Dragon Age. Anyway, if you fancy fleshing them out, knock yourself out. ^_^

Well sure!

20th Muldacian Heavy Infantry

Muldacia is a comparatively primitive world, with its primary non oceanic biome being tropical rainforests. In spite of that, it's human population lives in comparative luxury, due to their exploitation of the abhuman "Saurials" found on the planet.

At first thought to be a xenos form, Biologis Magi experiments revealed that the reptilian creatures are indeed an offshoot of the human genome. There are several theories as to their presence on the world, ranging from gene engineering to create a superior labor force by the first Imperial settlers, mutation and inbreeding of the early settlers, and an extremely crude theory suggested by some Regiments that have fought alongside Muldacian units and noticed the resemblance between the saurial levies and the giant carnosaurs that feature heavily on their human handlers banners and insignia.

There has been talk of exporting the saurials to the Astra Militarum at large as a supplement to the ogryn strain of abhumans, but so far only native born Muldacians have been capable of reliably controlling them.

The abhumans serve admirably as shock assault forces and heavy weapons carriers, and it was felt their cold blooded ferocity would serve well in the close quarters combat Imperial tac-savants expected to rage within the Ships.

Vord Drop Troops:

(Placeholder)

Also, it occurs to me that we don't actually have to give the Untaken Terminator armor or change their tactics. If they were spearheading the orbital defenses and only fell back to the Ships when the Imperium gained the upper hand in the void, they might indeed be ill suited for fighting in that environment, because they were never expected to.

20th Nabarretti Heavy Infantry

*snip*

Sorry to burst your bubble, Wade - Nabaretti is already fluffed out on the first page. Cormac made it at the start of the project. Maybe you could adapt the saurian thing for the 'Golden Dogs' Drop Troops?

Also, it occurs to me that we don't actually have to give the Untaken Terminator armor or change their tactics. If they were spearheading the orbital defenses and only fell back to the Ships when the Imperium gained the upper hand in the void, they might indeed be ill suited for fighting in that environment, because they were never expected to.  

Sounds good. That's another thing to wedge in sometime tomorrow. :wink:

:cuss :cuss :cuss !!!!!!

The giant Hive World with the Trinity ruling council!

:cuss !!!!!

Well...could we change the regiment name? I say that because I already had an idea for the Golden Dogs, that their world was an Arbites outpost that seized control of a Mechanicus Forge moon during the Silence (because THE LAAAAWWWW!) and their Guardsmen are all cybernetically linked to combat servitor war dogs. They're also known derogatorily as "The Glory Hounds".

Edit:

Also, I thought that having the regiment that consisted mainly of abhumans be the one to take 100% casualties during a battle planned mainly by the Conflagrators was a nice touch.

If you know what I mean...

Uh, the whole thing is already based on incomplete Imperial knowledge. :sweat:

This. This is the keystone, the focal point to keep in mind. I made the 'Briefing' intentionally full of old information, bits of new information, old truths that may now be faulty, some real, legitimate info, and enough holes to drive a Mack truck through. All of this, compiled by a dusty old man with ink stained fingers and poor eyesight, who lived his entire life in a city sized library full of poorly maintained information, on a planet on the other side of the friggin' galaxy.

Everything you have been told is not a lie, but it may not be complete either.

EDIT: I will, though, be creating 'Snap Reports', from scout elements, Inquistorial teams, etc, for bunches of new, fun stuff for y'all to freak out about :laugh.: .

So in reality the Lions might be much, much more dangerous.

Aw, heck.

Cormac:

Uh, the whole thing is already based on incomplete Imperial knowledge. :sweat:

I can't actually see much difference between your suggestion and mine, save for replacing the Venet Light Infantry with raw recruits and making the trap less of a deliberate thing and more of a happy coincidence.

The way I see it, Khroda's had a long time to get ready for Imperial interference, so surely he's made some plans to put at least the initial encounters on his terms.

Forgive me, I didn't clarify my thoughts right.

The thing that tripped me up is the Marine deliberately masquerading as high on the food chain as a decoy. I can see them preparing, laying traps, tricking the enemy, all that. But I don't really see them going for that level of deception, so I was trying for an alternative that stayed as close as possible. If I'm off base, sorry.:sweat:

As for the Venet Light Infantry, I had forgotten their name, but they are who I meant as the force the recruits would be challenging to get some much needed experience, and who could provide the backbone when they form together against the Imperials.

Oh, that makes more sense.:happy.:

I don't know about the level of deception being off-key though. The Lions did reportedly use very misleading contracts to maximize their gains and stuff, and Khroda strikes me as the sort of man to have at least some sort of plan for meeting the Imperium's finest head-on.

I don't intend for the Lions to use the super-crafty approach every time I write them (not with so many troops available to them :laugh.: ) but I do think they'd at least make these initial engagements on their terms, which means catching the Imperial forces involved entirely off-guard.

Plus, it's as much of a plain old self-preservation tactic as anything. Putting some focus on another marine who isn't Khroda might make the Imperium split their forces when they don't need to. Divide and conquer and all that!

Now, all that said, I'm not against changing it if you still feel it doesn't fit. It's not like I need to re-write the whole thing, just a few details.:happy.:

I'll probably edit things so the troops the Imperium knows about are fresh recruits (and mention that presumably the Venet Light Infantry are off elsewhere doing Khroda's bidding), though, because that's just a plain sweet idea. :biggrin.:

Sorry for being late in getting back to you on this. I made myself step back and go "What are you doing, *insert Cormac's real name here*? Other people are allowed to have ideas, too. Particularly, Ace, who's like the ace attorney, but with ideas instead of lawyering. And probably a better haircut (probably). Back off of him, bro."

And am now able to say "Yeah, man. Do what you want. Go wherever your Cluster-related dreams take you."

@Olisredan

I changed the name of the planet/regiment. Can't we just, you know, change that in the Battle Summary instead of me coming up with another Regiment entirely for the Hive World?

Unless you have a reason to use a Nabaretti Regiment. But if you do, can we drop the "Heavy Infantry" moniker? Because I was just struck by the idea of Nabaretti units having these crazy zip-line grappling hook steam punk Nolanverse Batman rigs that they use to swiftly move through heavily urbanized or mountainous terrain and attack from unusual angles, with a preference for getting above a dug in enemy and taking their positons from the roof down.

(Attack on Titan military...IIIINN THE ASSSSTTRRAAA MIIIILLLLLIIIITTTAAARRRRUUUUUM!)

Edit:

Or Necromunda Spyrer Malcadon armor. Only not as incredibly goofy looking.

For the merchant planet, what if the world is controlled by the Lions (through gangs etc) so it isn't puplic knowledge. Imperium see's a good rally point so send forces to rally there. The Lions then rise up, turning the whole planet against the Imperial forces, heavy loses are taken on both sides but the Imperium withdraws to only come back ready and take the planet as those Lions who survived abandon the planet. Thoughts?

Sounds a little bit Alpha Legion-y for the Lions to me. That kind of elaborate long term deception/use of proxies doesn't seem to me to be their Mo as opposed to flagrant use of intimidation and bold opportunism.

Maybe instead the planetary governor could be the greedy merchant type and betray the loyalist faction to the Lions because he foolishly believes that they'll be happy taking less of a cut than the Imperium does via its taxes. Maybe he also chafes at not being able to trade with some nearby systems because of Imperial policy and that leads him to make a very foolish error.

Anyway, going back to the merchant world idea, I can see a logical explanation for such a planet's presence if Al-Rashid has a lil'bit of Guilliman in him and seeks to build his own Empire. Given that precious little is known about the man, let alone his personality, I see it being as likely as any other theory about his goals. The man's built an army, a damned impressive one at that, but why? What for? To conquer 18 worlds and leave it at that? I don't think so, Astartes, especially traitors, don't think small like that, they're not just gonna retire, settle down with a nice gal and raise a family (assuming they even can). :blink.:

Perhaps in the isolation of the Cluster he sought to build his own empire, a new civilization of his own making, far from the greedy eyes and grasping hands of the Imperium. For what purpose, good or ill, is another question entirely...

Oh, I quite like this take on Al-Rashid.

Let me toss a couple of quotes out and see what everyone else thinks.

"Yesterday, we were an army, without a country. Today, our main concern is deciding which country we should buy!"

-Simon Gruber, Die Hard 3

"True genius lay in forging events to suit one's own goals, not blindly heeding the laughter of mad gods."

-Lorgar Aurelian, Betrayer

Also, guys? When Cormac gave us this assignment, he said it would be about each pair of Chapters hitting a different target in Khroda's 18 Worlds, setting up the Lords Inviolate/Sons of Calderon decapitation strike on (what is believed to be) the Lions capital planet. Something to keep in mind.

Just some thoughts on how this conflict turns out. I think the imperium should end up driving off the Lions at extreme loss to the imperial forces. This will turn the lions into marauders but not wipe them out by any stretch. Al-Rashid then sets his sights on retaking his area of space by destabilizing the cluster as a whole, perhaps even intending to massively expand on what he once held.

As for the Angels Exultant, I am not particularly attached to which side of the fight they are on here, although I do have the idea that a small unit would be destroyed ignominiously by the Lions once they realize the Chaplains are a lynchpin. A couple sniper blasts+distraction would result in some easily mopped up angels.

Well...could we change the regiment name? I say that because I already had an idea for the Golden Dogs, that their world was an Arbites outpost that seized control of a Mechanicus Forge moon during the Silence (because THE LAAAAWWWW!) and their Guardsmen are all cybernetically linked to combat servitor war dogs. They're also known derogatorily as "The Glory Hounds".

@Olisredan

I changed the name of the planet/regiment. Can't we just, you know, change that in the Battle Summary instead of me coming up with another Regiment entirely for the Hive World?

Certainly. It will be edited in shortly.

Edit:

Also, I thought that having the regiment that consisted mainly of abhumans be the one to take 100% casualties during a battle planned mainly by the Conflagrators was a nice touch.

If you know what I mean...

That's not a bad idea. Nice ulterior motive, Wade.

Maybe instead the planetary governor could be the greedy merchant type and betray the loyalist faction to the Lions because he foolishly believes that they'll be happy taking less of a cut than the Imperium does via its taxes. Maybe he also chafes at not being able to trade with some nearby systems because of Imperial policy and that leads him to make a very foolish error.

This, I like. Hubris and greed are great motivators for flawed merchant kings. :)

i must add more lion based details to mine and dss7's battle. so yeah we call dibs on one of the 18 worlds that is a forgeworld (if anyone hasn't read what i have started yet)

I'll have a few things to add  but won't have it till tomorrow I'll pm it to you.

Looking at the Doomseeker/All-Seers stuff...they're going to defend a Forge World?

Er...how does that even....

Black Judges Condemnitor-Sergeant:

"They're heretics! I knew it! I told you all! VINDICATION!"

Yes, yes, thank you, brother-sergeant. Out of the past two instances of a Chapter turning traitor, your Chapter correctly predicted three hundred and nineteen. Well done.

"VIGILANCE IS ITS OWN REWARD!"

Quite. Off you go, then.

If I may be serious for a moment:

I propose that the operation against the 18 Worlds is beginning to gain a foothold right about the time a giant fleet of Frateris Templars with Daughters of the Emperor support (IIRC the Brides of the Emperor were Vandire's personal bodyguards) arrives with the intent of forcing the Liber Cluster into compliance with the will of Terra.

One almost has to admire the Templars....it takes a special approach to diplomacy to unite the Saneslau Mechanicus and the Conflagrators, the Black Judges and the Eagles of Glory....to take pretty much every Imperial faction in the Cluster, and turn all of them against you.

As the Imperium turns its gaze inward, the Lions are able to regroup and retake their lost ground, although they have suffered heavy casualties from the abortive attempt at wiping them out.

Basically, the Damocles Crusade, but with Gorge Vandire standing in for the Tyranids.

I was going to ask if the Lions have more than one forge world, but it appears that my question has been answered.

I am working out an idea for a battle on an mountainous, desert forge world controlled by the Lions where the Legio Phlegethon and the Saneslau myrmidons are deployed to burn out the entrenched hereteks while the Umbrii and Swift Foxes play a game of cat and mouse, except both the cat and the mouse are Predators.

I should have something later today.

Archived