Ok so idea time for an escalated event with the lions, that someone with better creative acumen than myself may have to flesh out.

Pinching an above idea, actually have the conflagarators be aware the Eagles are coming and send dodgey coordinates to them. The Eagles warp into an area where the lions are heavily involved, and in usual fashion, they set about voxing freedom evetywhere all guns blazing. Meanwhile the Blades, plus others are fighting elsewhere, then the libbies start getting visions of eagle like birds and lionesque creatures and do their usual shooting off business. However, in attempting to do so, chapter x decides they are going to follow the blades. En route, chapter X sends a message to strong ally Y, and says too meet them where the Blades are.

On arrival to the system chapter x finds the eagles battered beyond belief, the Blades trying to extract the remaining forces, and the Lions are setting up to devour them both. Chapter x then proceed to get stuck in, more lions turn up and a brawl of ugly and epic proportions ensue. Forces from ally Y and conflagarators turn up, manage to free up enough room for the others to get out, and as a result of this engagement a liberite conclave is called.

Its not meant to be a dig or anything just so you know, I see the enclave that follows as a righting of wrongs for the Eagles, and will have firey righteous vengeance, reinforced to the nth degree, by chapters that have been humbled. I actually really like them as a chapter (in fact theres no chapter in the liberites I dislike so I'd set up an equal beating for everyone :p)

Ok so idea time for an escalated event with the lions, that someone with better creative acumen than myself may have to flesh out.

Pinching an above idea, actually have the conflagarators be aware the Eagles are coming and send dodgey coordinates to them. The Eagles warp into an area where the lions are heavily involved, and in usual fashion, they set about voxing freedom evetywhere all guns blazing. Meanwhile the Blades, plus others are fighting elsewhere, then the libbies start getting visions of eagle like birds and lionesque creatures and do their usual shooting off business. However, in attempting to do so, chapter x decides they are going to follow the blades. En route, chapter X sends a message to strong ally Y, and says too meet them where the Blades are.

On arrival to the system chapter x finds the eagles battered beyond belief, the Blades trying to extract the remaining forces, and the Lions are setting up to devour them both. Chapter x then proceed to get stuck in, more lions turn up and a brawl of ugly and epic proportions ensue. Forces from ally Y and conflagarators turn up, manage to free up enough room for the others to get out, and as a result of this engagement a liberite conclave is called.

I like it. I can imagine a certain rolling of eyes as the Conflagrators learn that several of their cousin chapters have got into a spot of bother (and a smirk to go with it) with the Lions. Then they look at each other and kinda go "Should we bother to help them?" and "I suppose we had better..." with the consequent Conclave giving the Conflagrators a lot of flak for what they did (something that they would protest and argue against, of course).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unique Beastie of the Liber Cluster:

The Fiend of Caerbannog

Found upon Drysthelm, in the sulphurous wastes known as Caerbannog, this monster boasts an impressive set of teeth and razor sharp talons. Accompanying a ferocious territorial mindset are powerful hind legs and lightning quick reactions, all of which ensure the Fiend an ability to pounce upon it's victims without warning or mercy. Many have been deceived by it's small stature and have paid the ultimate price, their bones and trappings littering the ground around the Fiend's lair. Such is the rarity of the Fiend and it's ilk, many believe that only one specimen exists. This assumption is likely due in part to the unwillingness to attempt any study of the one known Fiend and a distinct naivity on the part of those that have braved the wilderness to reach the lair in Caerbannog.

The Fiend of Caerbannog

Found upon Drysthelm, in the sulphurous wastes known as Caerbannog, this monster boasts an impressive set of teeth and razor sharp talons. Accompanying a ferocious territorial mindset are powerful hind legs and lightning quick reactions, all of which ensure the Fiend an ability to pounce upon it's victims without warning or mercy. Many have been deceived by it's small stature and have paid the ultimate price, their bones and trappings littering the ground around the Fiend's lair. Such is the rarity of the Fiend and it's ilk, many believe that only one specimen exists. This assumption is likely due in part to the unwillingness to attempt any study of the one known Fiend and a distinct naivity on the part of those that have braved the wilderness to reach the lair in Caerbannog.

his them tune being night on bald mons? Composed by a miss orgsky?

The Fiend of Caerbannog

I see what you did there Olis, I take it the Fiend's only weakness is high explosives? ;)

I see what you did there Olis, I take it the Fiend's only weakness is high explosives? :wink:

It is quite likely, SR. Frontal charges are not recommended. ^_^

(As a sidenote - I can't help it. There has to be some Python reference somewhere, or it just wouldn't feel right.)

Okay, I have two final concepts for the Scarlet Sentinels' Chapter Insignia, one is the Trident & Shield idea as suggested by Cormac and Olisredan (There's your credit, happy now Olis?:tongue.:) and another concept I thought of today while researching the british royal coat of arms; a white lion rampant holding a Trident (though I will admit I'm a little concerned the Lion Rampant may be a little to Unforgiven-ish).

What's your opinions?

You could always use the image of Britannia from the reverse of the 50p coin.

Well alright folks, I'm not sure if everyone's had the chance to get to their previous assignment. If not, don't worry about. You can still get around to it, as I'm still not putting strict guidelines on productivity. But 1000heathens has granted us the opportunity to put a little communal effort into showing just great and terrible the reclamation of the Liber Cluster was, by highlighting one of its greatest threats. And in a way that perfectly segues into a new assignment, a campaign.

The Lions are in command of the Eighteen Worlds. Their might is great, and their threat is very, very real. Like that's ever stopped the Imperium from slowly crunching forward over its own bones! You have the lore on the worlds and its features. You have the intel on the enemy and its wiles. You know their strengths, and you know just how precious few their weaknesses are. Let's go over there and kill them.

But first, a little order to the madness. I think everyone's a little attached to their contributed Chapter, so I won't keep them separate like the last assignment. Instead, I'll see about enforcing some cooperation. Everyone gets a partner, and they and their partner will work on shared battles. Those paired will be:

The Conflagrators and the Blackjaw Kindred (because I want to see some of that "Wow, you're sons of Vulkan?/Leave me alone!")

The Eagles of Glory and the Scarlet Sentinels (because Britain will never escape its bastard child)

The Black Judges and the Blades of the Lion (teehee)

The Aetheric Swords and the Heralds of Letum (the only random pairing I'm actually doing right)

The Iron Ravagers and the Angels Exultant (See?! I told you flesh was weak!)

The Doomsayers and the All-Seers (because esoteric, cult-like names)

The Black Falcons . . . are the odd one out right now, so they can either operate by themselves, or attach themselves to any of the above pairs.

And lastly, the leader of the Liberites will be accompanied by its closest brother. The Sons and the Lords. I know, that means I'm pairing myself with myself (and it means I'm leaving Sanguine_Knight in the cold, sorry brother), but the reason why is because this will be the big reveal on who will lead the Liberites and what is done with the one who doesn't.

Now, it should be pointed out that while the Loyalists are the protagonists here, the enemy is very dangerous and the Imperium's victory is not assured. I know it's easy to write about victories, and this ultimately will end in a victory for the Imperium, but they need to take a huge beating in the process. There need to be some terrible defeats and pyrrhic victories. If I don't see enough of that, I'll select the biggest victories and have them changed to be defeats. 1000heathens, if you're interested playing the part of the villain, you can make sure that everyone is taking the Lion's seriously by contributing their side of the campaign.

Everyone should announce what their plans are, and discuss it before actually contributing. This won't be to the extent of the Liber Campaign, I'm not expecting this to take any longer than the previous assignment. Remember that there are Imperial forces beyond the Chapters at your disposal as well!

For myself, the Lords Inviolate and Sons of Calderon will be assaulting the Hive World Sitianu, which reconnaissance reveals to be the Lion's main base of power among the Eighteen Worlds, excluding the Den. The Imperial forces intend to spread the Lions' strength across their Eighteen Worlds in simultaneous attacks all across the board, significantly decreasing their ability to adequately meet the forces arrayed against them at any one place. By this plan, it is believed that Sitianu will be the least defended when the Sons of Calderon and Lords Inviolate, the ascendant Liberite Chapters and over-all masterminds of the campaign, begin an assault using the totality of their formidable Chapter forces, accompanied by Titan Legios, Skitarii Cohorts and Regiments of the Imperial Guard.

But not everything goes according to plan . . .

+++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++

Unrelated, here's some expanding lore on the Liber Cluster:

The Tempest

Unlike the spinning, flat plane of the galaxy, the Liber Cluster is almost spherical in shape, if contorted and oblong. Deep in the core of the Liber Cluster rages a spatial anomaly of size unparalleled by any other within the Cluster. It was first encountered early in the reclamation of the Cluster, with many Reclamation Fleets heading straight for coordinates found on ancient records that pointed towards the location of the Mabinos. Wilym Mabinos was the Imperial Commander that finally succeeded where three of his predecessor's failed, breaking through the fringe Ork kingdom that blocked Imperial access for decades. Mabinos continued to lead the crusade deeper into the Liber Cluster, personally over-seeing the pacification of a third of the Cluster in a mere handful of years. The Ork threat had never truly been extinguished, and Mabinos eventually fell on a world deep in the Cluster core to the savage horde. His death galvanized Imperial forces, who quickly took the world from the vile xenos breed. The body of Mabinos was placed in stasis so that his sacrificial wounds would be forever on display and laid to rest in an immense mortuarium build over the very battlegrounds upon which he was slain. The world was named for the great hero, and the returning Imperial forces wanted to sanctify it as a Shrine World and canonize Wilym Mabinos as the patron saint of the Liber Cluster.

At a great distance from the world, the Imperial fleet was forced out of the Warp by growing turbulence that overwhelmed over the Geller Fields of over a dozen ships, that were lost with all hands. The fleet exited into realspace, only to find it as terrible a maelstrom as the Warp that they had fled. Indeed, the Warp itself was spilling forth into reality. Dozens more were lost, as ships and other void debris were caught in etheric currents spun and drove them about, causing terrible crashes or twisting them beyond the capabilities of its manufacture to resist. Others were destroyed from within, as malefic entities manifested within or terrible, unknown foes appeared as if in waiting to pick them apart. Those few ships to escape the break in reality released astropathic cries of warning, saving untold souls in the doing. Traveling at sublight speeds and small, short hops into the Warp, the Imperials slowly crawled around the edges of the spill of unreality. Exploration and research granted knowledge of its nature. A warpstorm, but one nearly half the size of the recorded interference found in the Badab Sector of Ultima Segmentum, called the Maelstrom. Planetary bodies along the fringes showed signs of having been afflicted for centuries by the flickering grasps of Warp corruption, revealing the storm to be long-lasting, and potentially perpetual. In terrible realization, the Imperials note that the coordinates for Mabinos' namesake tombworld lie directly in the center of the anomaly, though nothing is ever revealed as to how the storm came into existence. With the world utterly caught off from the Liber, the Ecclesiarchy abandons its intentions, burning their plans for the world of "St. Mabinos" and looking elsewhere for a patron saint.

The fleets that mapped the boundaries of the anomaly took to referring to it as the "tempest," a name which ultimately stuck. For a time, its name was given by the galactic cartographers as the "Mabinos Tempest," however this connection to the would-be saint of the Liber Cluster is repressed by Inquisitorial decree and falls out of favor. Like the Maelstrom, Eye of Terror and other perpetual Warpstorms like the Storms of Judgment, the Tempest is a zone utterly void of Imperial authority and home to pirates, rogues and the terrors of the Warp. Many attempts have been made to cordon off the area over the millennia, preventing entrance or escape by encircling fleets, heavily armed fortress worlds and star-forts, including temporary assignment of Liberite Chapters. However, ultimately these attempts meet with failure, as heretics fleeing the wrath of the Imperium continue to use the Tempest as an asylum, and hordes of the varied enemies of the Imperium continue to be unleashed from its depths with frightening regularity and scope.

Edit: You know, my original intent was to pair everyone off based off of Chapter name. Sorted it, and was going to A pairs with Z, B pairs with Y, that sort of thing. But when I sorted it, I realized we have 3 Chapters that start with 'A,' and 4 that start with 'B.' That's half the Liberites right there. We only have two Chapters that start with a letter in the second half of the alphabet. Which didn't really prevent me from doing that pairing, but I decided to actually pick pairs that I would like to see interact.

I also realize I'm strange for noticing or caring about that. Finding quirky patterns in the letters and numbers is just something my mind does when I spend eight hours a day, five days a week, staring at massive lists of names, dates, addresses, etc. For some reason, finding out how many last names fall under the first half of the alphabet as opposed to the second half is just something I always notice first when I look at a new list. The first half is almost always bigger, and I get a sad little thrill when there's more than three-quarters. Ahhh, the things we do to occupy ourselves when work requires too much concentration to allow your mind to wander to something else.

Or I'm weird and nobody else does or thinks things that strange and nonsensical. :sweat:

Brother the reading is clouded all that is known the All Seeing Eye and The Book & Skull are one and a Chapter Master will fall. But a Victory is seen but at great cost .  

IF this is ok I say the 2 chapters go for The Agri World of Heroda IV and Cenicika.

@Cormac Nice fluff on The Tempest. Something that might work well is that the System I've been working on is on the skirts of the Tempest. The background behind the place quite simply is Imperium reclaims said system from Eldar then get pushed out by dark eldar army of modified humans. Will at first I thought it would just be guard regiments, elements of the Liber chapters could be involved as the Imperium is pushed out or put into the resistance force. Sound good?

Sure, you can put the system around the Tempest.

In general, I see the Tempest being more like the Maelstrom than the Eye, with no Cadian Gate. But I also see attempts like the Cadian Strongholds, Astartes Praeses and Maelstrom Warders to always meet in failure, and only represent temporary measures that get bashed through, forgotten, re-installed, bashed through, forgotten, ad infinitum.

The Eagles of Glory and the Scarlet Sentinels (because Britain will never escape its bastard child)

Laugh while you can Cormac, you have to sleep sometime. :furious:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QNqN-flB_zM/UU7mUDy_1mI/AAAAAAAARg4/AzHgQptlvYU/s1600/JoinOrDie.jpg

@ Olisredan:

For the Low Gothic name and Legio symbol of Phlegethon...perhaps "The Ferrymen" and a cowled skeletal figure wreathed in flames?

In other vaguely Saneslau related stuff, I've been imagining them as coloring all their gear dark blue with silver trim. I am soooooo tempted to press for navy blue and bronze, but I can't help but feel some Inquisitor would look at those colors and their Mafia MegaCorp ways and immediately start screaming about purging the Nostromo Enclaves. Which would be bad.

I was also thinking that when Saneslau starts handing out goodies to the various Imperial factions as a means of gaining the needed influence to remain autonomous from the Mechanicus, inspections show that their designs all differ subtly from the STC norm.

As a rule, the vehicles, fighters, etc tend to be slightly more delicate than Standard Template, but with increased mobility, sensor range, or stealth capabilites, in keeping with Saneslau's doctrine of finesse over brute force.

None of the variations crosses the line of the acceptable level of deviance allowed to any individual Forge World, but some groups (i.e. the Aleph-Null Inquisitors) have taken the line that if what they're willing to give away is THIS different, imagine the level of tech heresy in the things they're keeping under wraps.

As far as their relationship with al-Rashid and his Lions...they spent centuries scheming, skulking, bribing, and back room dealing to retain independence during the Silence.

There may or may not have been some cooperation between the two in the past, but Saneslau quickly realized the Lions would not suffer rivals or even independent bystanders.

With no desire to bend the knee, they swiftly cut all ties and began (quietly) bankrolling and equipping groups opposed to the burgeoning pirate kingdom.

I was also thinking that when Saneslau starts handing out goodies to the various Imperial factions as a means of gaining the needed influence to remain autonomous from the Mechanicus, inspections show that their designs all differ subtly from the STC norm.

As a rule, the vehicles, fighters, etc need to be slightly more delicate than Standard Template, but with increased mobility, sensor range, or stealth capabilites, in keeping with Saneslau's doctrine of finesse over brute force.

None of the variations crosses the line of the acceptable level of deviance allowed to any individual Forge World, but some groups (i.e. the Aleph-Null Inquisitors) have taken the line that if what they're willing to give away is THIS different, imagine the level of tech heresy in the things they're keeping under wraps.

As far as their relationship with al-Rashid and his Lions...they spent centuries scheming, skulking, bribing, and back room dealing to retain independence during the Silence.

There may or may not have been some cooperation between the two in the past, but Saneslau quickly realized the Lions would not suffer rivals or even independent bystanders.

With no desire to bend the knee, they swiftly cut all ties and began (quietly) bankrolling and equipping groups opposed to the burgeoning pirate kingdom.

Well someone supplied the Lions with their Stealth VTOL....

Another thing are you still having Grandfather Baptiste with his massive Duck Dynasty black beard?

Because I have an idea about that.

@ Olisredan:

For the Low Gothic name and Legio symbol of Phlegethon...perhaps "The Ferrymen" and a cowled skeletal figure wreathed in flames?

The Ferrymen... Sounds good to me. :tu:

Brother the reading is clouded all that is known the All Seeing Eye and The Book & Skull are one and a Chapter Master will fall. But a Victory is seen but at great cost .  

IF this is ok I say the 2 chapters go for The Agri World of Heroda IV and Cenicika.

I'm good with this, also if you wish to kill kaunaz off, he is 500 odd and been sitting at the galactic display for far too long, maybe started missing getting to grips with the enemy the old fashioned way

Grandfather Baptiste - Chapter Master of the Blackjaw Kindred.

Wargear:  Grandfather Wolf's Blessed Beard.

All devout followers of Grandather Wolf aspire to grow and show off a mighty beard. 

Grandfather Baptiste has always sported a beard all the way from inception into the chapter as an aspirant.  As he advanced through the ranks and gained his exalted station he grew his beard according to chapter doctrines and the beliefs of the followers of Grandfather Wolf, so much so that now he sports a mighty beard, so mighty that he could bludgeon a fully grown Grox to death!

The Blessed Beard has never known the purposeful touch of a razor although it has suffered in melee more than a few times, it has always grown back.  It has even grown back in the space of a night such is the power of the Blessed Beard! 

His beard can at times become unruly and it has to be wrenched, beaten and threatened verbally with the threat of pulling out!  Grandfather Baptiste mantains his force of will over his Blessed Beard and it serves him well as a fine example of virility and power, so much so that even as his hair grows to silver his Blessed Beard can still be shown to be black as pitch.

Addendum:  Life in the Liber Cluster is many fold, through the divine powers of the Primarchs Grandfather Baptiste has unknowingly gained mastery over the attentions of a Beard Squig.

Archived