I have been working on my Ba'adike dudebro, but I'm starting to think I would rather him be a wandering character type. Not a Chaos Lord.a Black Legion aligned mercenary type who follows Sero into the Cluster. Khornatws flock to him in battle, and go where he goes, but it's more like an Ork mentality than a warband. That guy always finds himself in the best fights. I'mma follow 'im.

But also because I went through my extensive folder of 40k jpegs looking for ideas. By the end, I have two images for Ba'adike, and twelve images for a Word Bearer idea that slowly formed as I went along.

So yep, switching gears to provide a Word Bearer warband instead. Ba'adike will get a shorter bio instead.

More reports from Inquisitor Salcrux for the honoured members of the Liber Conclave:

-=-=-=-= Imperial Record LC:TPO #22G =-=-=-=-=-

To: Lord Inquisitor Damius Salcrux

M'lord the Most Worthy Inquisitor Salcrux;

Investigation of this group called "Penumbra" continues.

Agent Barillon was able to, at great personal risk, capture three members of this outlandish group for interrogation.

The first was a simple menial worker who toils in a factory of sorts. He had little information of value for us save that he would gently encourage his customers to support Penumbra's cause.

The second was a hardened and trained soldier. He was armed with what we have identified as a modified Saneslau Serf's Rhetoricus-Pattern Lasgun, and a type of lacquered carapace armour of unknown manufacture. This man proved the hardest to restrain in the field, and refused to give us any information, vowing only that 'The Veiled Heart' would not let his death go unanswered.

Thirdly, and perhaps most alarmingly, was Iris Pell, a member of the local administratum. Before she died, Pell revealed very little, but what she did tell us suggests very strongly that Penumbra has agents in organisations all over this world.

The Adeptus Arbites are conducting a search of the street even now. I must conclude my message here, m'lord.

I will entrust Agent Barillon with this message and send him to you in all haste. May the Emperor forgive me for this, but I cannot be certain Penumbra agents have not infiltrated the Arbites, as unlikely as that seems.

May He on Terra watch over you always.

-=-=-=-=-= End Message =-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-= Imperial Record LC: TPO #131A =-=-=-=-=-=-

To: Lord Inquisitor Damius Salcrux

My lord, I pray this message finds you safe.
The situation is worse than we feared.

I arrived at Carver's World with Inquisitor Takenaka and his entourage six weeks ago, with hopes of flushing out possible Penumbra operatives. We managed to discover a cell of Penumbra operatives who were bartering various resources in exchange for information with what appeared to be a low-ranking officer of the Imperial Navy.

When we moved in to purge them all for heresy and treason, Sergeant Savin and his men, who formed the bulk of Inquisitor Takenaka's bodyguard, turned against us and sided with the Penumbra operatives.

Only Agent Winholm and myself escaped the subsequent firefight - I regret to report that Inquisitor Takenaka perished at the hands of these vile enemies.

Penumbra is most certainly after us. I am sending Agent Winholm to you and will take whatever actions are required to stall and mislead Penumbra while she escapes.

Trust nought but the Emperor, m'lord. Enemies may await at every step.

+ Inquisitor's Note +

This is not an isolated incident - see Agent Yoshida's report (LC: TPO #97B) and Agent Mateu's summaries of the conflict on Hariax Prime (LC: TPO #102 A-D)

Penumbra appear to have eyes and ears, if not hands, in a disturbing number of Imperial organisations.

As a result of the information betrayed by the nameless naval officer in this report, a company of the Iron Ravagers were fed false co-ordinates and directed to a battle that did not strictly require their presence to achieve victory.

The battlefield they should have been directed to was lost to a force of the Sereiki Lions, leaving two cities to be pillaged by the heretics.

We do not yet know how far the rot goes, but Penumbra must be tracked down and eradicated.

-=-=-=-=-=-= Imperial Record LC: IDS -TPO #009 =-=-=-=-=-=-

-=Record of Lord Inquisitor Damius Salcrux, Ordo Hereticus=-

Praise be to the Emperor. He alone is the light that guides us.

After three weeks of patient and diligent work by over a dozen of my agents and three scribes hand-picked for their analytical prowess, we are finally piecing together the truth about the Penumbra organisation.

Piecing together fragments of their transmissions is a slow process, but I do not dare risk drawing their attention before I have learned all I can, lest they scatter and hide without making their intentions plain.

What is becoming clearer by the day, however, is the danger Penumbra poses to the Imperium.

The low-ranking operatives and members of this peculiar faction range from foolish civilians to units of trained soldiers. Most commonly they are used for infiltration and subversion rather than direct conflict, but elite squads bearing highly customised weapons and a unique variety of lacquered carapace armour are not unheard of. These elite squads are often referred to as 'Nightmare' units within the transmisions we have decoded.

It seems the title 'The Veiled Heart' is used to refer to an upper echelon of sorts within Penumbra. Details are scarce, but it seems to refer to all manner of operatives - not only proven warriors and assassins but wily information brokers and highly elusive infiltrators.

Very, very rarely, conversations will mention a 'Lord Grey'.

Whether this is a code for another splinter group within Penumbra, or a genuine leader figure for this vile syndicate, I cannot currently say.

I submit this information to the Liber Conclave and my brother and sister Inquisitors in the hopes of making the danger known.

Be vigilant. Penumbra may well be watching you.

EDIT: Sorry about the length, guys. :sweat:

This was going to get spun out over a few days, but I've got work to do regarding a certain Chapter's fate, so I thought I'd move things along quickly.:laugh.:

I couldn't leave awesome suggestions like 'the Veiled Heart' and 'Lord Umbra / The Grey Man' unused, even if I did wind up combining the latter two. :laugh.:

The next report will include an intercepted briefing of Penumbra newcomers, and will hopefully reveal a little about this mysterious group's intentions.

Not to be a spoiler or anything, but don't expect anything heroic. :laugh.:

It may be an interesting twist if an enemy force was targettingImpetial officers to actually improve the Imperium by bringing in better replacements/people who could get the job done better. Ah the ideas...

We already have at least one Istvaanian inquisitor willing to do this sort of thing already if you would like. Feel free to run with him.http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292767-the-liber-cluster/?p=3730971

It may be an interesting twist if an enemy force was targettingImpetial officers to actually improve the Imperium by bringing in better replacements/people who could get the job done better. Ah the ideas...

We already have at least one Istvaanian inquisitor willing to do this sort of thing already if you would like. Feel free to run with him.http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292767-the-liber-cluster/?p=3730971

I had something more in line of say The Hood from the TV series Arrow mixed in with a little Templar from Assassin's Creed: this group takes out people who are hurting the Imperium (Corrupt nobles one such example) and getting them replaced with people who can do a better job.

Hey guys, just a quick update post. The next part of mine and ArcticPaladin's EWC story is coming but I'm currently wrestling with the dreaded black beast of Writer's Block so it may be a little while, sorry. :sad.:

I would rather not cram too much into too small a period. Sure, so much is going on all the time that they can be right after each other, or even simultaneous. But for the sake of looking at the overall history of the Cluster, I would put at least a millennia or more in between. If it was up to me, I would choose M39.

Chaos Marines will be fighting in the Cluster from M35 to M41. Whether it is Sero's monstrously dedicated and cohesive lot or not, there is plenty of room for individuals or different ragtag groups to join the fray at any point along that line.

My World Eater will enter the Cluster alongside Sero, but my Word Bearers (WIP name: Solt Viirhal, the Chapter of the Desolate Keep? C&C plz) will be a threat whose origins to the Cluster only the Blackjaw Kindred may have witnessed, though Sero will subjugate them to his cause.

Vesper: I'm cool with you and Ace making the choice. If it was me, I would want a later climax, but not so late as to be apoca'clock. M39 works with that in mind. But you certainly don't need to go along with that, if either of you feel differently.

I can see why you want it to be late. I contemplated having it happen before the Skullgather (being a galactic project to appease Tzeentch), or be one of the countless actions undertaken by the Chaos forces in the Galaxy during the Ghost War itself.

Nice one Ace.. I found some inspiration :biggrin.: To Centris! So far I'm thinking the Blades and the Black Judges are chosen to attack Centris (after much grumbling) but the Blades get sidetracked by Penumbra to chase down a fleet. As all this is going on Imperial intelligence underestimated how many Sereiki Lions were actually on the planet and the Judges take a beating. Then the Blades turn up looking sheepish..

Happy to help! :biggrin.:

After I've got the fifth report up I'm planning on declaring open season on Penumbra - anyone will be free to invent an inquisitor, acquire a bodyguard (or kill-team of marines, maybe :wink:) and join the hunt.

I'm thinking they could also be an enemy for the All-Seers to turn their attention towards: Perhaps Penumbra know too much about the Artifact the Seers want...:ph34r.:

Also the Blades of the Lion might be well suited for rooting out a few high-ranking Penumbra operatives.

I'm sure they've had some previous experience at retrieval of valuable persons. :tongue.:

Also, timeline wise, I think the Angels Exultant should fall (and the remaining Doomsayers arrive in the chapter) after the conclusion of the Vandire nonsense, just when we felt spiritually secure, ya know. ;)

Let me know if that is an issue with anything or if anyone has an idea that would necessitate different timing.

Field Report of Inquisitor Androcles Enkidu Tamberlane Wladislav Siegfried Salvador, Twenty First of that name:

Thought for the Day:

I say, Uncle Marky, do we really need to have a space for an inspiring quote on every piece of paper we send out? (Note to self: Have Baldwin redact that and fill in something suitable before filing)

Subject: Those Forsworn Chaps

Right-o, I've been asked by Uncle Marky Lord Inquisitor Isaac Markova to do some digging around on the subject of those dashed Forsworn rotters.

Item the first is, they're all Chaos Astartes. So every man jack of them is as big and heavily armed as your average Lord Inviolate or Conflagrator, except they're also mad as hatters and revel in murder, mayhem, and general misery causing exactly like the Conflagrators completely different from the blessed zeal of the God Emperor's holy Conflagrators, His beneficence shine upon them.

Item the second is, they're odd ducks even by those standards. Most of them, you know, it's always the same. Yelling "Blood within, blood without!", "All is iron!" and such, then they run round killing everything that moves. Not this lot, though.

They seem to have a hang up about killing anyone who can't fight back. Let me be clear, that's CAN'T. Not WON'T.

There's rather graphic vid picts illustrating the nuance-seems a regiment of PDF on Atlach-Minor got the idea they could get away scot free if they just threw down their weapons.

What the Forsworn did then was turn loose a bunch rather more like your typical Traitor Marines, some sub cult within the main warband called the Catherics or something like that, and broadcast what happened next on all channels.

The other five PDF regiments then fought to the death in a most admirable fashion, many posthumous commendations, place by the God Emperor's side, etc.

-Report ends abruptly-

I laughed at the way that Inquisitor talks, but I'm also wondering if I'm allowed to laugh at that since that's more or less how I actually talk. :unsure.:

Oh well, it's still funny. :laugh.:

Nothing better than being able to laugh at yourself.

I've been reading some of this after back-clicking the link in Heathens' sig and there's some really great work here, I should have seen this way before now. (hope you don't mind passing outsider commentary in this thread, btw)

Archived