I got the Eighteen Worlds kinda, sorta, in my head, but that's about it.

And I apologize for my absence lately, a lot has been going on in my life recently, including all five of my kids being sick at the same time, and I've had no time to write.

Things are starting to settle down a bit, so I'll get back to work soon. Cross my heart.  :blush.:

I snuffed ot my joining attemp simply because of real life stuffa nd building an actual warband from the ground up.

Still, if we are moving Chaos invasions to m39, I'll prompt an invasion of sorts.

I can always cut off a planet to the Tempest as a supply hideout, but it's damn difficult writing a story on a phone.

I used to be able to do maps like the Badab War ones, but I can't come close to the kind in the Orpheus War. The kicker is that anything >30ish locations becomes too crowded and the forum has difficulty sizing the image text effect sometimes. If you could narrow the cluster down to around 15 major words and 10-15 minor ones with their appropriate geography and subsector info and I could work on one in my spare time.

The difficult thing is that the galaxy is, more or less, a flat plane. The Cluster, on the other hand, looks like a misshapen egg. It can be as deep as it is wide or tall. You'd almost have to do two cross-sections just to show how actually far or close apart two locations are.

But if you are interested, we would love to see what you could do. If you look at the second post, you can see an (almost) up to date list of worlds and features.

At the moment, there are only two named Sub-sectors. Liber Regnum, which includes the Cluster's kingworld, ascendant Forge World, and Ecclesiarchal seat of power, and Centralis, which includes the Tempest, the Cluster's mini-Maelstrom/Eye of Terror, and the inhospitably dense collection of stars that is the Cluster's core.

The way I envisioned it, it was set up to mirror the Imperium. A circular central division, which is Centralis, and four wedges like slices of a peach around the pit. Then I thought, maybe slice them in half horizontally, so you would have eight additional half-wedge sections, and the pit. Giving you nine sub-sectors total.

Centralis is obviously that 'peach pit,' but which segment Liber Regnum is would be the one closest to the greater Imperium (which is above the Cluster). None others were named, nor were key worlds of them given. I deliberately didn't myself so that others could have room to make up stuff. But, there is a large bank of worlds not declared for Liber Regnum or Centralis that can be used for that. Or some could be made to order.

If you are serious about making something up, I can have that be the next order of business. Get the major sub-sectors and their command worlds some light lore to flesh them out and put some names on the map.

As for what goes where and such, I'd be cool with that being down to the cartographers themselves within the sub-sectors. Which sub-sector can be put in the world's description, to give some order and reason. Like how I put the Lords Inviolate home world in Liber Regnum. Rather than trying to piece a legible map from all of our ramblings of (X is near Y, but don't put C there, it's too close to G, and WHY did you put L and Q SO far apart?), it might make it simpler for you to simply take the names and just put them where you want them to be, so long as they get sorted in the right sub-sector. Hell, unexpected locations could prove even more interesting.

I greatly enjoy Khornate Phineas Gage. As for mapping, I agree that whoever makes the maps should get to mostly choose where to put planets, although some do have descriptions depicting relative positions that should probably be kept mostly accurate. (unless the planets have shifted since then :blink.:)

Good day, my lords, I am Inquisitor Roman Silva of the holy Ordo Malleus. I present you a report with information concerning a warband calling themselves the "Clans of Pandora". It would appear the warband is comprised of multiple groups competing for power over the warband. My colleague, Inquisitor Barnaby Dalatrax, has discovered that there are four main groups with the warband; they are as follows:

The Nitrofiends

http://i.imgur.com/QubAP8Z.jpg

This group appears to favour being mounted upon bikes and in land raiders that have been modified to reach ludicrously high speeds. They display reckless abandon and will charge enemies when the odds of success are definitely not in their favour. It is yet unknown what which of the Ruinous powers they follow, but my colleagues and I theorise them to follow Slaanesh.

The Meat Slabs

http://i.imgur.com/ckXtX7n.jpg

These crazed berserkers make up the largest group of the main factions within the warband. They take to battle with forces heavily composed of melee infantry and it would appear they seldom employ vehicles. They seem to attempt to demoralise their enemies by yelloing out profane and lunatical phrase, a few common ones have been noted here:

BLOOD!BLOOD!BLOOD!SKULLS!SKULLS!SKULLS!,  Salt the wound! Tear the flesh! and, Come at me and let me show you what a real bad :censored: looks like!

These heretics are most likely followers of Khorne.

The Legion of Boom

http://i.imgur.com/ZenVrZW.jpg

This group is the smallest of the four main factions. Much can be said of their perseverance, for their love for explosives is also their downfall. It has been observed that they will fearlessly discharge a missile launcher towards an enemy from point blank range, to brutally explode the recipient of the payload and the euphoric splitting of the eardrums from the blast wave. Their firepower allows them to make up for what they lack in numbers. In one instance, they had assaulted a fortress that was heavily fortified and guarded by the forces of the Astra Militarum that had contained a massive shipment of explosives and firearms. They had managed to defeat the Astra Militarum forces there with only five men present, after blowing large holes into the fortress walls. At this time I can not give a definite answer on whether they follow Khorne or Slaanesh.

The Gospel of the Burning Flame

http://i.imgur.com/7mvRRLG.jpg

Finally there is this group. They are evangelist of some unknown chaos cult. They have made multiple raids on trade routes within the cluster. Their trademark appear to be leaving ships as massive burning funeral pyres for their victims floating through the void. This is possibly an attempt to spread their heretical religion. It is confirmed they follow a lesser chaos god, whom my colleagues and I have given the name Pyror. Also of note, this group closely resembles the Conflagrators chapter, further investigation is necessary to determine if the appearance is solely coincidence or if their is heresy breeding within the chapter.

All of these forces swear fealty to a man only known as "the Eridian". He is described as having power armour with plundered Eldar wraithbone interwoven within the fibers of the armour. This is thought to bolster his power as he collects the mysterious soul gems of the xenos species.

http://i.imgur.com/0upH9nz.jpg

The Gospel of the Burning Flame

http://i.imgur.com/7mvRRLG.jpg

Finally there is this group. They are evangelist of some unknown chaos cult. They have made multiple raids on trade routes within the cluster. Their trademark appear to be leaving ships as massive burning funeral pyres for their victims floating through the void. This is possibly an attempt to spread their heretical religion. It is confirmed they follow a lesser chaos god, whom my colleagues and I have given the name Pyror. Also of note, this group closely resembles the Conflagrators chapter, further investigation is necessary to determine if the appearance is solely coincidence or if their is heresy breeding within the chapter.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/7e3b16c9466419e916c1b3168db9a74b/tumblr_mp28t8ElYi1qh65cuo1_500.jpg

:lol:

Well now. This is interesting. I want to see where you go with this, for good or ill - I'm fine with the answer being whatever you wish it to be. ^_^

We'll need to discuss some basic things about how the Liber Cluster is organized. I gave a brief description of how I visualize the main borders of nine proposed sections. If everyone's cool with it, we can go with that. If somebody has ideas they think are better, we'd all be glad to hear it and that matter can be discussed.

But the main thing right now is, what do we classify these sections as? Back when this thread was a spitball I was throwing at some of my forum buddies, it came up that we should avoid classifying the Cluster as its own 'Segmentum.' Which I concur, there's no reason to make the Cluster so . . . critical-seeming to the rest of the Imperium. As such, I classified the Liber Cluster as a Sector that is, for administrative purposes, considered a part of Segmentum Solar. Therefore, it's internal divisions would be Sub-Sectors, even though each of its Sub-Sectors might be greater in size or density than normal Sectors. This might mean nothing to be non-American brethren, but it reminds me of the difference in average County size between States. If I took a random Eastern US State, and compared its County Map to a County Map of my home state of California . . . the differences are huge. We have Counties bigger than certain States (not to mention certain Countries. 'Murica!). But that's because of how we came into the Union. Bigger, meatier chunks of administrative divisions were made the further west you go. Whether this was deliberate or not, I don't know, but that's the end-result.

I can certainly see the Liber Cluster being like that. And so I like and am okay with the idea of keeping it the Liber Cluster Sector of Segmentum Solar, with nine mostly unnamed Sub-Sectors.

But would you guys prefer something different? Should we have the administrative divisions be given a new classification, to better befit the novelty of the Liber Cluster's place in the Imperium? Something like Olisredan's "Liber Segmenta?" 

-=-=-=-=-= Imperial Record LC: IDS-TPO #016 =-=-=-=-=-

-= Record of Damius Salcrux, Lord Inquisitor =-

May the Wisdom of the Emperor be my guiding light in the dark places.

And certainly I can think of few darker than the Liber Cluster in these trying times.

Though the Sereiki Lions remain the most obvious threat to Imperial rule at this time, it seems Penumbra is a far greater foe than even I had anticipated.

They weave webs of secrets, intricate and cunning. They lurk in the dark like vermin, skulking and dealing in lies.

But if you burn away the shadows and the lies, eventually only truth remains.

Slowly, we are unearthing the truth.

The goal of Penumbra seems to be taking the Liber Cluster out of Imperial hands. They've made deals with all manner of traitors and heretics, selling our intelligence to the highest bidders. For each infiltrator we stamp out, another rises to take their place.

It seems Penumbra has eyes everywhere.

No secrets are safe, so we are now making little use of secrecy.

My most honoured brothers and sisters of the most holy Inquisition, with the assistance of hundreds of brave souls, (including most notably the Adeptus Astartes of the All-Seers Chapter) have fought back on a score of worlds. We have marched into the darkest shadows and brought His illuminating light to bear against Penumbra.

What we have learned is this:

* Lord Grey is very much real. A person (or possibly persons - information is conflicting on several key points) who wishes to see the Liber Cluster torn away from the Imperium.

* Penumbra most certainly has agents in the wider Imperium, subtly manipulating the comings and goings of all those within the Cluster.

* Elusive and well-trained though they might be, the Veiled Heart and their vaunted Nightmare shock troops die like any other traitor when impaled by a Chainsword.

My lords of the Liber Conclave, I plead with you. Lend your strength to this war in the shadows, and let us consume Penumbra in the flames of the Emperor's wrath.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Sorry for the lack of intercepted communications in this report, guys. :sweat:

I really suck at serious rebel-to-rebel dialogue.

But there we have it, the general goal of Penumbra: to see the Liber Cluster pried from Imperial hands, come what may.

I do plan on a couple of short stories showing some back-and-forth battles with the Inquisition and Penumbra forces, and I totally, heartily encourage others to come up with their own, too.

A Multi-Chapter Kill-team assigned to an Inquisitor could make for fun tales if anyone wants to tell them... :turned:

We'll need to discuss some basic things about how the Liber Cluster is organized. I gave a brief description of how I visualize the main borders of nine proposed sections. If everyone's cool with it, we can go with that. If somebody has ideas they think are better, we'd all be glad to hear it and that matter can be discussed.

But the main thing right now is, what do we classify these sections as? Back when this thread was a spitball I was throwing at some of my forum buddies, it came up that we should avoid classifying the Cluster as its own 'Segmentum.' Which I concur, there's no reason to make the Cluster so . . . critical-seeming to the rest of the Imperium. As such, I classified the Liber Cluster as a Sector that is, for administrative purposes, considered a part of Segmentum Solar. Therefore, it's internal divisions would be Sub-Sectors, even though each of its Sub-Sectors might be greater in size or density than normal Sectors. This might mean nothing to be non-American brethren, but it reminds me of the difference in average County size between States. If I took a random Eastern US State, and compared its County Map to a County Map of my home state of California . . . the differences are huge. We have Counties bigger than certain States (not to mention certain Countries. 'Murica!). But that's because of how we came into the Union. Bigger, meatier chunks of administrative divisions were made the further west you go. Whether this was deliberate or not, I don't know, but that's the end-result.

I can certainly see the Liber Cluster being like that. And so I like and am okay with the idea of keeping it the Liber Cluster Sector of Segmentum Solar, with nine mostly unnamed Sub-Sectors.

But would you guys prefer something different? Should we have the administrative divisions be given a new classification, to better befit the novelty of the Liber Cluster's place in the Imperium? Something like Olisredan's "Liber Segmenta?" 

There was a television show awhile back that explained the states shaping and county shapings, and why they are done in the manner they were.

On topic though, I'd like the idea of having the cluster being divided into "states". Each division would have it's own capital world that that would represent it in some inter-divisionary congress (or parliament for our British brethren). There could even exist a world that functions like our District of Columbia, where the cluster's head official(s) reside. 

Astartes generally don't command more than their Home world. Some span multiple planets, others choose to ignore them unless recruiting.

Generally owning more than one planet is frowned upon and there has been instances where one Chapter has put down another for trying.

Oh, and the brainstorming for future Wartorn incursions begins... soon.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/incinerator950/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_24636-1609915_10152110906796538_932808331501145829_n1323204261_zps1be14d48.jpg

Captain Alonso Jeter awoke with a jolt the last thing he remembers was being boarded by an Astartes Strike Crusier.  where am I he yells in the dark ?what right do you have on detaining A Rouge trader? with that the lights come on, he finds himself bound to a chair in the Cargo hold of his own ship.What right do you have to do this?( silence) hours go by he tries to move . Why are you doing this? ( the lights go out ) then with a flash they come back on, He blinks the stars out of his sight only to stare into the dead lenses of a Red Skull helm of the Master of Sanctity Caplain Kerberos of the All- Seers.

Captain Jeter we know who you are working for , we have been tracking your movements. I have only one question " Where is Lord Grey"?

The idea that the Liber Regnum Sub-Sector/Segmenta is a standalone consisting solely of Cluster command is interesting, sort of like the greater importance given to the Sol Sector over Segmentum Solar, not I think that's about as far as I, personally, would like to take the 'states' idea.

The way I envision it is that Astartes worlds can exist as their own states within the union, with their choice being direct government or sending representatives from their worlds. The mechanicus may exist as it's own entity, kind of like embassies within each state. And lastly, all other imperial worlds would function in typical state fashion.

Wait. Would that mean that the Sereiki Lions are the Confederate States of America? 

Hmm. I think I gots a new idea brewing.....

*walks off whistling Dixie, heading towards his Harry Turtledove collection*

Wait. Would that mean that the Sereiki Lions are the Confederate States of America?

Hmm. I think I gots a new idea brewing.....

*walks off whistling Dixie, heading towards his Harry Turtledove collection*

Ahhh, the United States of Atlantis . . .

And his fantasy WWII books are right up there as one of the best series ever. Such an amazing author.

Edit: Also DSS7 got me thinking, so:

The man yelled in pain, his cries drowned out by the loudly sparking machine to which they had connected him. A giant stood over him, clad in black plate and a death’s head helm. The Marine snarled, the sound laced with static from the helm’s speakers.

“Tell me now, of your brothers and sisters of treachery, of the others of this ‘Veiled Heart.’ ”

The Marine twisted the sound of the last two words, vocalizing his disgust over its concept. The man’s head fell forward, his hair, plastered with sweat, falling over his face and laughed. It started as a coughing spasm, ropes of bloody drool hanging from slack lips, before finally breaking free as a hacking, rasping laugh. Almost immediately, the man doubled over by the pain in his bruised, torn sides from the brief exertion.

“Y-you think, I’m one of them?” the man laughed breathlessly, painfully. “You’ve known of us for thousands of years, and you know nothing more now than you did back then!”

THEN TELL ME

The man screamed.

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW

Thorned chains dug into his skin as the pain in his skull made him arch his back against the restraints. The whites in his eyes shone clear as his pupils slid from sight, a pool of red spreading over one globe as veins popped from the pressure. The man could feel a presence in his own mind, like a shadow hanging over every thought, every memory, tearing them apart. Barriers and defenses were triggered, but the burning shadow tore them all down. Blood gushed from his nose and flowed into his wide-open mouth, turning the blood-curdling scream into gargling, the sound of a man drowning in his own blood. An armored hand, larger than his chest, gripped his lank hair and forced his head down, as the man coughed up the blood, before jerking it back up to look at the armored face. The shadow burned through more defenses, and tripped one that the man had not been told was there. There was an organic pop from within the man’s skull, and one of his eyes jerked wildly to the side, the other swiftly dilating. His cut, swollen lips pulled into a big, idiot grin.

“I’ll tell you what I know, mutant. I am Agostille Vin’Ceix. I am an Inquisitor of the Emperor’s Inquisition, and you cannot hold – “

The man’s words were cut short as the point of a sword clove into his heart, the blade little more than a dagger in the hands of its wielder. The red lens of Redemptor-Chaplain Crauseus’ helm stared into the fading light of the man’s eyes. The Marine jerked his combat blade from the corpse and directed servitors to dispose of the body. Already, his mind had dismissed the man, concentrating on the future of the mission he and his brother Blades of the Lion had been set upon.

This is off-topic so I'll post this and ask that the matter be dropped.

You like fantasy? Go for Into the Darkness, which sparks off a retelling of WWII as if it were set in a fictional fantasy world. This is my personal favorite.

You like sci-fi? Go for Worldwar: In the Balance. Another WWII take, with this one having the spin of a full-scale alien invasion.

Otherwise, he has more classical 'what if' series centered around the US. His biggest and most known one is where the Confederacy lives on, detailing the progress of events with that in mind all the up to and including both World Wars. Couldn't tell you which books to read for that, I only ever read Guns of the South.

His other, most current one, is the United States of Atlantis, which has the premise of the eastern seaboard of America is actually a separate island, closer to the center of the Atlantic. When found, it is named after the ancient Atlantis. The US forms there, removed from the rest of the Americas. That series starts with Opening Atlantis.

He also has a lot of various, more ancient work, such as books on Caesar. He has also done some Conan books. He has a bunch of other books, these are just what I am most familiar with.

Archived