I was using that for the Black Falcons...but the other idea is neat too.

Was I only the one rooting for the Operative instead of the drug dealer he spent the whole movie chasing?

"I am, however, wearing body armor, because I am not a fool."

Looks like the Black Falcons and the Heralds of Letum are in! It does appear that that the Black Falcons were supposed to have an image attached, but it didn't show. Once a Black Falcon image is posted, and I've got a collection of all non-gridded images, I'll edit the 4th post of Ascendant Liberites to contain all of them, as well as reveal the conclusion of the Lords versus the Sons. The vote isn't closed yet, I am just saying that's where I'll put the big reveal on how it'll go down.

So! I got an idea on what we can do next, but first I need to gather some data real quick.

Black Falcons: Neither Trust Nor Distrust

The Angels look with worry at the Black Falcons due to their ties with the Sanislau Mechanicus and their unorthodox view of the Emperor. They also tread carefully in joint assaults in order to not repeat the incidents with the Scarlet Sentinels. However, they do lend aid when possible, especially if they can apply pressure to a different front, as they empathize with the tragedy of the severely under strength chapter.

Heralds of Letum: Distrust

The Heralds’ view of the Emperor and their role in relation to him is a troubling deviance from orthodoxy. Thankfully the Heralds seem perfectly happy to leave the Angels alone. The Angels wish only to return the favor.

Prediction:

Whichever of the two "Leader" Chapters doesn't get chosen falls to Chaos, and becomes the primary antagonist in the Cluster.

"You either die a hero..."

Oh, and I vote for the Lords Inviolate to lead.

Alright, folks! The cast of Liberite Chapters has been more or less chosen (minus the Lords/Sons thing)!

We have the

The Lords Inviolate / The Sons of Calderon - Contributed by Cormac Airt

The Conflagrators - Contributed by Olisredan

The Eagles of Glory - Contributed by ArcticPaladin

The Blackjaw Kindred - Contributed by Wade Garrett

The Iron Ravagers - Contributed by Aegnor

The Blades of the Lion - Contributed by Reyner

The Scarlet Sentinels - Contributed by SanguiniusReborn

The Aetheric Swords - Contributed by Ace Debonair

The Black Judges - Contributed by GreyCrow

The Angels Exultant - Contributed by Teetengee

The All-Seers - Contributed by deathspectresgt7

The Doomsayers - Contributed by helterskelter

The Black Falcons - Contributed by Sanguine_Knight

The Heralds of Letum - Contributed by the promethean

Now, you might be wondering why I bothered putting who contributed what, when the purpose of the Project is that everyone gets to play with everything and nobody is "in charge" of their own contributions (for the purpose and scope of the Project). And that's why. Up to this point, most of our continued talk has been about our own contributions. How they interact with others, what they believe in, some extra information to beef them out, that sort of thing. And hey, that's been no problem. The discussions have been fun to read.

But let's mix things up. The basic components of an Index Astartes article are:

Origins, Organisation, Combat Doctrine, Gene-seed, Beliefs, Home Worlds and Recruitment

Now, I have a new list:

The Lords Inviolate / The Sons of Calderon - Ace Debonair

The Conflagrators - Reyner

The Eagles of Glory - SanguiniusReborn

The Blackjaw Kindred - Cormac Airt

The Iron Ravagers - helterskelter

The Blades of the Lion - the promethean

The Scarlet Sentinels - ArcticPaladin

The Aetheric Swords - Wade Garrett

The Black Judges - Olisredan

The Angels Exultant - Aegnor

The All-Seers - Sanguine_Knight

The Doomsayers - deathspectersgt7

The Black Falcons - Teetengee

The Heralds of Letum - GreyCrow

You'll notice right away that the names have been switched around. Almost all were random, though the Eagles/Sentinels swap was very deliberate. Consider the Chapter next to your username to be your assignment. Pick any one of IA component (or more, if you'd like), and write something about it.

As an example, here's some notes I've been holding onto for the home world of the Lords Inviolate:

"The Lords Inviolate recruit from an advanced world close to the heart of the Liber Cluster. Its continents are bowl-shaped. Long, unbroken mountain chains form along the coastlines, holding the great oceans and seas from spilling into the low-lying hills, valleys and savannahs that form the majority of land. The world was initially classified as a deathworld, for its native life was in its megafauna stage of development, the lands and seas dominated by immense, cumbersome creatures, with numerous apex predators, their jaws and claws strong enough to rend even the holy armour of the Imperial Guard mechanized regiments.

Within scant centuries, most species of megafauna became extinct, including all apex predators. Only those great, domesticated herd beasts are safe from endangerment, and the world has long since been reclassified."

That sort of thing, but really you can do anything. Draw up some classifications maybe, or even an artful depiction of the world(s). Or whatever is appropriate for the IA chunk you choose.

This isn't really an assignment with a deadline, nor is it something you absolutely must do before going on to something else. This is an exercise in creativity, for the fun of it. If you have something you want to share first, feel free. If you want to continue for a while with this current trend of Chapter Relations, go for it.

If you don't see your username on that list, that does not mean that you are not included in the Project. Nobody is "out" unless they choose not to participate. It just means that a Chapter is not being assigned to you. But, if you want to pick one and write something, then please do. Or you can participate in something else the Cluster needs fleshed out. We've got tons of Imperial factions (and quite a few not so Imperial), heaps of worlds and other Cluster features to expand upon. Explore the heck out of it.

Prediction:

Whichever of the two "Leader" Chapters doesn't get chosen falls to Chaos, and becomes the primary antagonist in the Cluster.

"You either die a hero..."

Oh, and I vote for the Lords Inviolate to lead.

You can be sure the Black Judges did not give them enough time for that ! :p

Scarlet Sentinels Inter-Chapter Views/Relationships (Continued):

The All-Seeing/All Seers: As with the Blades of the Lion, the Sentinels view the All-Seers with suspicion given their strange appearance and secretive nature, their unpredictable behaviour in battle making them unreliable allies at best. As a result the Sentinels dislike working alongside the Seers though will do so if necessary, still, relations between the two remain frosty.

Black Judges: Aside from the Eagles the Black Judges may be the Chapter the Sentinels are most willing to clash with. In the Sentinels' eyes the Judges are little better than madmen, with the exception that madmen at least have the excuse of being mad to explain their heinous acts. Regardless of their stellar war record against the enemies of the Imperium the Scarlet Sentinels find the Judges' murderous purges upon Imperial citizens to be beyond the pale, and if it were their choice , they would see the chapter declared excommunicate traitorus (and they have appealed for it to the Conclave many times) and purged as renegades. All Scarlet Sentinel forces currently have standing orders from the Lord Marshall to shoot Black Judge personnel on sight.

Angels Exultant: Before their fall, the Angels Exultant were generally regarded with the same respect as most other Chapters, despite an unsolved incident regarded the disappearance of a Sentinels Scout Squad a few decades back. Since the Angels' corruption the Sentinels have intensified patrols in all sectors and have vowed to grant their fallen cousins a swift and fiery end should they be encountered.

Black Falcons: Despite the Falcons' close relationship with their arch-rivals, the Eagles of Glory, the Scarlet Sentinels maintain a fair amount of respect for the Black Falcons. Their nearly self-destructive triumph over a sizable Ork warfleet (that the Sentinels had been mobilizing their own fleet to confront at the time) mere hours after first arriving in the Liber Cluster and subsequent rebuilding while still contributing to the Cluster's defence where other Chapters might remove themselves from service until their numbers were more favourable has earned them the grudging admiration of the Sentinels. If not for their alliance with the Eagles and the Sentinels' looking down upon the Falcon's preferred style of warfare, a great friendship could develop between the two Chapters. Regardless, the Sentinels hold no problems fighting alongside the Falcons, so long the Eagles are not present as well.

Heralds of Letum: The Scarlet Sentinels view the Heralds with a mixture of curiousity and quiet discomfort. While their veneration of the Emperor as their homeworld's god of death is a worrying trend, the Herald's exemplary battle record and extensive service amongst the Reclamation fleets have impressed the Sentinels and they are happy to tolerate the Herald's quirks if it means gaining a reliable ally. Despite their unwillingness to work with others the Sentinels can still boast cordial, if not, friendly, relations with the sons of Libitum, so long as the Sentinels psykers stay away and the Chapter assists only when invited to do so.

Iron Drakes: One of the Scarlet Sentinels' more amicable relationships, the Iron Drakes are well-respected by the sons of Albion for their martial prowess, tactical acumen and generally-sane nature in a Cluster full-to-bursting with pyromaniacal zealots, flesh-hating cyborgs, mass-murdering paranoids, swamp-dwelling savages and glory-hunting fools with far too much explosive ordinance. As a result the Iron Drakes are among the Sentinels' closest allies, the Sentinels being more than happy to work with the Drakes when their duties coincide. The pleasant nature of the relationship is such that the Sentinels will even defer to the Drakes' command if they find their cousins' battleplans to be superior to their own. A shared exasperation of the Eagles' reckless behaviour also provides the two Chapters added common ground.

Would everyone who posted a Space Marine Painter image with the grids post one without the grid? I could do it myself, but I might not make the right color choices.

Done, I've replaced the old gridded picture in the Sentinels' introductory post with the new one for you.

You'll notice right away that the names have been switched around. Almost all were random, though the Eagles/Sentinels swap was very deliberate.

Oh, you sunnav-    +++[ERROR: CONNECTION LOST]+++

Can't wait to do the Heralds of Letum ! :smile.:

As a matter of fact, I was recently thinking about how a fully airbone Space Marine Chapter would be ultra cool, so can't wait to expand on that !

(Just imagine 9 Landspeeders on the table at the beginning of the game, followed by 3 Stormraven carrying Tactical Squads and Dreadnoughts... Absolute cheese)

Cormac, for easy access, could you centralize the short descriptions of the Liberite Chapters in one of your OPs ? That would be great to find them :smile.:

But let's mix things up. The basic components of an Index Astartes article are:

Origins, Organisation, Combat Doctrine, Gene-seed, Beliefs, Home Worlds and Recruitment

Now, I have a new list:

The Lords Inviolate / The Sons of Calderon - Ace Debonair

The Eagles of Glory - SanguiniusReborn

The Blackjaw Kindred - Cormac Airt

The Iron Ravagers - helterskelter

The Blades of the Lion - the promethean

The Scarlet Sentinels - ArcticPaladin

The Aetheric Swords - Wade Garrett

The Angels Exultant - Aegnor

The All-Seers - Sanguine_Knight

The Doomsayers - deathspectersgt7

The Black Falcons - Teetengee

The Heralds of Letum - GreyCrow

You'll notice right away that the names have been switched around. Almost all were random, though the Eagles/Sentinels swap was very deliberate. Consider the Chapter next to your username to be your assignment. Pick any one of IA component (or more, if you'd like), and write something about it.

Oh, I quite like this! Should be an interesting way to shake things up for this project. Wait a sec...

The Blackjaw Kindred-contributed by Olisredan

I WILL PUNCH YOU TO DEATH WITH MY FEET!

I am a little crestfallen that the Iron Drakes didn't make the cut, but I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Sorry about the Chapter, friend. You were literally this close.

I look forward to any other contributions you might have, though.

It's late at night and so this is probably loaded with mistakes, but stuff it, I'm feeling fired up. :laugh.:

Let's do this! :biggrin.:

Combat Doctrines:

"The key to victory is to have your opponent watch one hand while the other reaches for his throat." Captain Dorvius - 3rd Company of the Lords Involate

The Lords Inviolate are studious and steadfast warriors, keen of intellect and strong of will. They adhere to the tenets of flexible warfare as laid out in the Codex Astartes; relying on tried and tested battle tactics supplemented by unexpected and tangential manoeuvres to mislead and confuse enemies. All manners of weaponry and armour see use in the Chapter, the better to respond to any threat that might see the Liber Cluster torn from the Imperium's grasp.

Captains of the Lords Inviolate are almost peerless strategists, able to swiftly and decisively take command of any given situation and turn it to their eventual advantage. This ability has given the Lords Inviolate a reputation for remarkable capability and exceptional force management not only amongst their brother Space Marines, but amongst Imperial forces of all kinds.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Everything is a weakness when faced with the right kind of strength." - Captain Agrant, 4th Company of the Sons of Calderon

The Sons of Calderon pride themselves on their analytical approach to battle. Ever-quick to identify weakness in the enemy's lines or strategy, the Sons of Calderon have been the masterminds behind many victories which should have been out of the Imperium's grasp. Their use of rare technology is never more evident than when the Sons of Calderon bring their ancient, honoured weapons to bear on the fields of battle, and often the careful use of these relics is a keystone from which victory can be constructed.

One other battlefield tradition, inherited from their genetic ancestors, is the rank of Emperor's Champion. One chosen marine per company is issued with a suit of the finest, toughest armour the Chapter has to offer, armed with a devastating Power Falx from the Sons' extensive armoury, and tasked with hunting down and destroying the strongest warriors the enemy side has to offer. Very few enemies can stand strong in the face of such Champions, whose blades are more than capable of cutting a foe in half with a single, powerful stroke.

Captains of the Sons of Calderon are wise in the ways of their brothers - their tireless exploits alongside the Reclamation Fleets have seen them fight alongside brother Space Marines on all manner of battlefields. As such, the Sons of Calderon are adept at laying plans that play heavily to the strengths of their allies and avoid internal conflict as much as possible.

EDIT:

Apologies if these are too short, I can always go back and flesh them out further.:happy.:

@ Olisredan - The Emperors Tarot said the Conflagrators would win the Battle w/o our help:tongue.: No need to Get mad at them for the Heavy loss.:mellow.:

Oh yes, I'm sure the Conflagrators will be dead keen to consult your tarot... WITH A FLAMER! :furious:

gallery_58778_9760_5230.png

Oh hell yes. I would love to see a final version of this. :D

Conflagrators: Normal Trust

The Conflagrators faith and pursuit of close quarters assaults mean that the Angels feel a strong connection with them. They will gladly cede control to the Conflagrators in joint operations. Their only worry is that they find the Conflagrators attitude and disregard for collateral damage, since it is of their own choosing rather than dictated by geneseed, somewhat troubling.

See now, this is interesting. Looking back at my Chapter's view of the Khornified Angels Exultant, it would be good to see the Conflagrators when they meet their former allies and realise they are lost. I can see the process they went through in my mind - a trusted ally becoming that which the Conflagrators most revile: Heretics.

The Conflagrators

Fanatical maniacs. The Blades barely tolerate being near the Conflagrators but their attitude to collateral damage appals the Blades, destroying everything on the field is a victory for the enemy if the Imperium cannot use it. The Blades may even go as far as open firing on the Conflagrators if they were in the same theatre seeing the pyromaniacs destroying Imperial infrastructure – even worse if they cause problems for the Great Hunt.

"You'd better make sure you get all of us, lad, because if you don't you'll be finding every asset you own burned to a cinder and every brother dead on a stake."

Captain Raldasche, last known transmission, transcribed by servitor.

• - The Conflagrators - The Doomsayers consider themselves strong allies with the Conflagarators, a mutual respect has been garnered for each others methods of war. The Doomsayers will always come to the aid of the Conflagarators when requested.

Neat. They might be antagonistic but the Conflagrators can't operate in the sector as total social pariahs. ;)

Those Namby Pamby Almost Heretical Fire Guys

Don't let a Conflagrator here you call him that - Fire-stoked zealotry is serious business.

Say whaaaat?

You'll notice right away that the names have been switched around. Almost all were random, though the Eagles/Sentinels swap was very deliberate.

Oh, you sunnav- +++[ERROR: CONNECTION LOST]+++

My thoughts exactly. You tricksy bugger, Cormac. A real curveball. :lol:

So, Imperial guard regiments, Sisters of Battle orders, Forge Worlds, stuff like that?

Yep. Take a crack at whatever takes you fancy. Invent a few locales. Create a Guard regiment. Populate the Saneslau Mechanicus with a couple of colourful characters. :)

So, Imperial guard regiments, Sisters of Battle orders, Forge Worlds, stuff like that?

Or Hive Worlds, Shrine Worlds, Daemon Worlds, cults, alien empires, Chaos Warbands and so forth.

The Cluster is your oyster. You could even participate in this exercise, by picking whichever Chapter on that list you want.

Ace: See, now that is what I am talking about! This is exactly what I wanted to see from this exercise. Really like what you've got there, and it admittedly made me like my own favorite of the two even more.

Don't worry about word counts anymore. I was mostly wanting some kind of qualifier so that the accepted Chapters wouldn't just be the first few names and schemes tossed out there with nothing else to build off of, but I also didn't want this to degenerate into a mass of conflicting opinions and interests by using quality as the qualifier. So I went with a little quantity. But that is past. Now, bulk and quality can be built up over time, by continued discussion and exploration of our own ideas and those of others.

Can these be from any founding?

All of the Liberites, barring the unknown founding Blackjaws, are of the 21st Founding. However, this group was exempt from the rampant genetic experimentation that went on. Cursed Founding because of time and size, not to give everyone free reign to mutate everyone.

Inter-Chapter Relations of the Heralds of Letum

The Lords Inviolate:  The Heralds greatly respect the Lords Inviolate for their stern leadership, and not interfering with the Heralds' operations. The Heralds consider the Lords one of their few trusted allies.

The Sons of Calderon: Although they disapprove of the Sons of Calderon's close relation with the Saneslau Mechanicus, the Heralds have built strong bonds with the Sons. Both Chapters have fought alongside each other when escorting the Reclamation Fleets, and the Sons' have continually proved themselves worthy of the Heralds trust and respect.

The Conflagrators:  The Heralds admire the Conflagrators' faith, but are disgusted by their heavy-handed tactics. No true servant of the Emperor should slay citizens of the Imperium without due reason.

The Eagles of Glory: The Eagles of Glory are a nuisance, little better than petulant children in their desire to 'help'. The Heralds always attempt to steer clear of the Eagles, which has avoided conflict between the two Chapters on many occasions.

The Blackjaw Kindred: The Heralds and the Blackjaw Kindred have come to blows on many occasions over their interpretation of the Khan. The Heralds believe the Kindred's view of the Khan is an insult to the Primarch's honour.

The Iron Ravagers:  The Heralds respect the Iron Ravagers' efficient tactics, but are disturbed by their obsession with improving themselves. Men can be trusted, but machines should never be fully trusted, merely look to the Age of Strife for examples. Because of this the Heralds always watch their backs when fighting alongside the Ravagers.

The Blades of the Lion: The Heralds have only fought alongside the Blades of the Lion on a few occasions, but have since refused to. This is a result of the Blades abandoning the field during the battle of Magna Belli. The Heralds have hated the Blades ever since.

The Scarlet Sentinels: The Heralds and the Scarlet Sentinels seldom get along, but the two Chapters are united in their disgust of the Eagles of Glory. The Heralds and the Sentinels have only worked well together when the Eagles are nearby.

The Aetheric Swords: The Aetheric Swords have foolishly allowed witches to rule them. The Heralds will often avoid fighting alongside the Swords, lest they become tainted by their psykers.

The Black Judges: The Heralds will always refuse to fight alongside the Black Judges, and have appealed to the Conclave to have them declared Excommunicate Traitoris on several occasions.

The Angels Exultant:

Pre-fall: The Heralds see the Angels Exultant as worthy allies. They greatly admire the Angels' devotion, particularly in their habit of chanting prayers to the Emperor in the midst of battle.

Post-fall: To honour the memory of the loyal Angels Exultant, the Heralds will go to great lengths to slay the now fallen Angels.

The All-Seers:  The bones always say to never trust the All-Seers. The fact that they also adorn their armour with disturbing runes and strange skulls means that Heralds will always try to avoid the All-Seers.

The Doomsayers: The Heralds are always willing to accept help from the Doomsayers, as they appreciate the Doomsayers' expertise in void warfare.

The Black Falcons: The Heralds have yet to fight alongside the Black Falcons, but respect the Falcons for surviving near-destruction.

I look forward to working on the Blades of the Lion. Now I just have to decide which section to work on. :smile.:

Edit: Damn typos.

Archived