[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Well with two Librarians you can only guarantee 5 Warp charges, 10 at most.

You need 5 to have a decent chance of casting a WC2 power. There are no re-rolls, and there's a chance of dispelling by the enemy... It's not particularly reliable.

Well with two Librarians you can only guarantee 5 Warp charges, 10 at most.

You need 5 to have a decent chance of casting a WC2 power. There are no re-rolls, and there's a chance of dispelling by the enemy... It's not particularly reliable.

Still doesn't explain how they got to 4 though.

might try the librian just cause the model is cool, but it sounds like there is much better choices, thank you all for the input.

next tactical question heavy support squad, whith the new rof and relentless what would you use as heavy support drom the deployment zone, heavy bolters? autocannons? (can buikd those atlest have those weapons) or something else? advice?

If its anti infantry, its hard to beat Culverins. If its anti tank, Multimeltas if you can drop in close but otherwise Lascannons would be the best.

Missiles if you want a bit more flexibility with Flakk to tackle airborne targets.

might try the librian just cause the model is cool, but it sounds like there is much better choices, thank you all for the input.

next tactical question heavy support squad, whith the new rof and relentless what would you use as heavy support drom the deployment zone, heavy bolters? autocannons? (can buikd those atlest have those weapons) or something else? advice?

After trying a heavy support unit with culverins this Saturday all I can say is that they're brutal. Not that expensive points wise and really dangerous because of the 20 S6 volkite shots I'm actually thinking of buildind a second squad of them. If you're going for a more anti-tank approach I would rather go for a normal support squad with melta guns and drop pod (or dreadclaw) as the only difference is the range and I would get close anyway for death dealer. I still have to try the other options but at first sight autoccanons look fine for light vehicle popping.

A multi Melta squad with relentless from the RoW would be useful. I've played with a 10 man autocannon squad, and while a bucket of fun, they don't do a whole lot haha.

10 man volkite Culverins with prescience and/or misfortune are just evil....

*shudders from Athrawes flashbacks*

What do you want your squad to support against ? :p

By the way, very fitting for the Sons of Horus Long March ROW : Heavy Support squads in Reserve with Relentless from the ROW with rerolls of reserve to 1. Come in with Plasma Cannons from an angle where the enemy doesn't get cover and enjoy the carnage.

What do you want your squad to support against ? :tongue.:

By the way, very fitting for the Sons of Horus Long March ROW : Heavy Support squads in Reserve with Relentless from the ROW with rerolls of reserve to 1. Come in with Plasma Cannons from an angle where the enemy doesn't get cover and enjoy the carnage.

Do reserve rolls, and arrival from reserves, occur before the start of the player turn?

It's at the start of the turn, but I don't see an reason that HSS wouldn't benefit from it

If I understood that Rite correctly, you get to choose that special rule at the start of the turn ?

Édit : Read it wrong, it's still a good idea to throw the HSS in reserve, drop them where they won't be targeted, then move them up and about the next turns.

Obviously, they can start in the board too, but if you know the enemy has stuff capable of killing it it's pretty cool !

Edited by GreyCrow

Only issue with the Librarian is that you can't take them in mass. The most charges you can possibly get is 4 and even then you aren't guaranteed to roll the power you want. My preference if I take a Librarian is Divination. Pretty much all the powers are good.

The most you can generate with a level 2 psyker is 8 the min is 3 can you tell me how you're getting 4 is the max? Do you mean the average die roll is 4?

What killed Librarian's was FW making them Support Officers having to spend at least 300pts on HQs made them a bad choice, however this does mean we don't get 40k'ed by the psychic phase.

No I meant that the base amount of charges you can have is 4 from 2 Lvl 2 Librarians. Didn't include the extra D6.

I seek to run 15 breachers armed with 3 grav guns and some assortment on the sergeant in my next game (proxies for the moment). I think relentless first turn with grav guns would be wicked and then provide a stalwart blob of doom in the center of the board. The intention would be to lure any assault units to charge them as the only tangible target. BS5 rapid fire boltguns, defensive grenades/shields, and merciless fighters make them deadly at short range.

I have enough alpha strike units to neutralize any unit that would be capable of blasting them off the board in short order, though to focus on them would give respite to more important parts of my army. Here's my new 2500 point list (it's actually 2 points over but eh):

2500 points

HQ

Tybalt Marr (175)

5 Justaerin (297)

+ MM, 1 combi plasma, chainfist

+ Dreadclaw (100)

Elites

Apothecary (45)

Troops

18 tacticals (255)

+ Sgt w/PA/AA/MBs

15 Breachers (350)

+3 grav guns, breaching charge, AA, combi plas

FA

2 Javelin Speeders (190)

+ Lascannons, MM

+ Lascannons, MM

Primaris Lightning (210)

+ GTA, Battle Servitor, 2 kraken missiles, 1 phophex bomb cluster

Heavy Support

HSS (265)

+ 10 autocannons, 5 marines, augury

Kharybdis (260)

Leviathan (290)

+ Storm cannon, drill, volkites

+ Dread drop pod (65)

While not necessarily a tactical question but still pertinent - I would think - as it concerns army list make up and unit benefits, if I were to purchase the SoH Task Force and the https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-IT/Sons-of-Horus-Legion-Support-Cadre'>SoH Legion Support Cadre would it be a cost efficient option when building  the basis of a SoH Army?

Edited by A/O

The Sons of Horus Legion Support Cadre is a decent bundle as all the units are good.

You could just get that and a standard Betrayal at Calth box to get started.

The task force doesn't offer much savings unless you were going to arm the Justaerin with power axes, in which case that does give you the 13 quid power axe/sb upgrade pack for free. However, most people will tell you to use chainfists, powerfists, and maybe a lightning claw or two, so the savings there are debatable.

Calth? Sons of Horus don't look right in MkIV to me. Even MkIII is a little eh for me, my eventual plan for the legion involves using exclusively MkII parts with the Sons of Horus specific ones to build the army.

MkIV seems VERY SoH when you factor in that the parts look great on the plastics and that Horus would've taken a huge part of the "best" armour for his legion.

I feel that mkII groove though.

That's fair, but I already have 40 of the Calth marines and another 10 FW MkIV armour for Alpha Legion.  I'm trying to get some differentiation here, and I just like the brutal lines of MkII limbs (the torsos are okay, but those will all be replaced).  They mesh well with close combat weapons and they go well alongside Cataphractii terminators (and that's basically what my SoH will be.. reavers and terminators).

Regarding the "best gear", MkII is seen by some as the most efficient (for what? no one knows) suit and they are already considered as important relic of the Great Crusade. But yes, of course Horus had warehouses full of the latest and greatest.

MkII and mkV Reavers for your viewing pleasure:

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/04008A46-EA56-4452-A68C-67E5D8D3384A_zpslvl5djcw.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/AB70501B-9AE4-4E22-B883-5689E67A7DBD_zpscvwrfslh.jpg

Warmaster they're awesome.

MKII is what I'm rooting for in the next plastic box.

Thanks. To be honest though, I feel the mkIV should be the default for SoH, with exception to special units. More shameless plugging:

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/28E8737B-41E0-4042-9D08-5CD76E2A8749_zpsloqa4bln.jpg

I just think it looks smoother :) plus despoiler marines are just awesome for the sheer number of attacks they have.

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/E5E6795F-C424-40B2-834B-A2FF0D5FA44C_zpsms1nktby.jpg

Imo the Sons of Horus should ALL be equipped in MkIV or better. All their unique units come im variations of it, even the Justaerins look like mkIV Cataphractii.