[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

They definitely seem to be one of the more competitive 30k armies. I could see them stacking up better than anyone against 40k opponents as well.

I guess the only drawback (and this is strictly personal opinion because I'm spoiled with Sevatar) is that their named characters, to me, aren't all that impressive. But again that's not much of a drawback at all honestly.

Yea their special characters are a bit meah. Kyr is pretty decent but nothing interesting.

Here is hoping forgeworld gives Iron Warriors some pretty cool characters / units when the write the siege of terra book.

Really, I would be happy with a rhino with a transport capacity of 11

Maybe some close assault oriented breacher unit, they are supposed to be the masters of siege warfare after all.

That sounds really good mate. I've always wanted to run the cram for my eaters but it's hard to make viable unless it is in early. Consider it stolen!

Combine that with the coms relay on my bunker and anything but double 1 and its in!

Plus also, termies with fists against any Death Star will still do the damage, 2 wounded are doubled out and generally striking at the same time Anyway

Edited by Fangbanger

True, but I think I can play conservative with them. Really the Lightning will come on and murder anything with four Krakens.

Taking Golg is hilarious too as you get Tyrants as troops, that you can teleport on.

Currently my list is looking like two minimal squads of Tyrants, Damocles, Golg, Pert, kraken lightning.

This is 1900, so about 600 to work with.

I've considered Havocs in a fort to give some anti air /interceptor, seeing as AV14 will be taken care of with the Kraken.

Suggestions? Only one I have so far is maybe a RoW - but none are really worth it!

Remember though, the lightning can only deal with a SINGLE av14 source. Once its fired all its missile, youd better have redundancy or your now caught with your pants down.

In our area, we see a LOT of land raider action :p just look at the amount we had at the apoc game...

I'm a very simple iron warriors player. I prefer to set everything in the list on the table turn one, and proceed to have a straight up punch out with my opponent's list. I honestly think that this is one of the most effective ways to play the iron warriors (albeit boring). The iron warriors fight battles of attrition better than any other legion, so I play to that. Points spent on deep strike, outflank, and flyers are I find are better spent on dreadnoughts of any type, predators, battle automata, artillery, rapiers, vindicators, heavy support squads, or even tactical squads. let the other legions worry about alpha strikes we don't need to. Even if we do come up against a legion with large amounts reserves a few Augury Scanners, contemptor-mortis dreads, and sentry guns will help us deal with them while pulling double duty against ground targets. Besides seeing as we are the only legion currently with access to turn one reserve rolls means that reserve heavy list give us at least a turn to focus fire whatever is on the table 

Well Angron and Roboute put him down, but he is surprisingly winny against most Primarchs.

My friend plays them has been undefeated, so I'm under no illusions they're great.

Siege Tyrants are just so win.

A WS 1 Angron struggles to win against Perturabo :p

He basically has to take him out in 1 round of combat or Angron looses.

That is assuming of course Perturabo is using his hammer, which why would he not be?

And assuming Angron would fail the blind test, which isn't too high a chance.

1d4Chan does a good summary of him against other Primarchs, but forgets that Strikedown doesn't affect initiative anymore, so with that he should lose to:
Horus (duh)
Guilliman
Angron
Konrad (IF he can get H&R off)
Power-using Lorgar

Still high-end, just not unstoppable. Fulgrim might do alright for a round or two as well, until the concussive attacks slip through.

IW make for really good gunline lists with rocket spam. But high mobility and spartan chassis hurt that plan. A typhon can just blast the havocs, and then you need to glance the thing to death. Terminators/dreads in dread claws can come in out of augery scanner range and then flat out to be in range. Spartans can just cruise on through it all. The biggest joke is the horde militia lists as you just can't kill it all

20 frag missile shots from a tyrant unit will certainly help thin the horde.

Plus the other problems you noted other legions suffer as well

yea, but a unit of 50 is 100 points...so you can have an absolutely insane number of dudes plus all their support; 300 fearless, hatred rending 2 cc weapon guys for 600 points. Which is pretty much the same cost as 10 Tyrants :ohmy.:

Edited by SkimaskMohawk