[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

You can never have enough firepower. Throw a medusa or three in there for giggles too. I am not sure on the difference between WoM and ADL, I just use a lone bastion when I use Khyr with some havoks on top with missile launchers. The rest of the army plods or rolls forward. Vindies are a great choice. I prefer Scorpius whirlwinds myself but both work. The rest of my force runs or walks in the case of tyrants with the siege breaker commander. Last couple games I played vs drop pod lists so I felt like I really didn't go anywhere or do anything except shoot interceptor all game.

Leaked rules for the new IW ROW:

Masters Of Siege (ROW)

-May target friendly units with template attacks

-Must re-roll unsuccessfully hits that target friendly units

-2 additional troops choices, mandatory

Dang, are RoWs leaking somewhere?

Anyway I'm not sure how accurate this is, but this would match up with the rumors that the IW rite would represent them advancing under their own barrage. 2 extra compulsory troops makes me wince. Seems like it may not be very competitive but it could still be fun on the table maybe? Definitely need to hear more about it.

Masters Of Siege (ROW)

Where is this from? It sounds shady with no real benefits.

"Buy extra troops to kill them with your guns"

Cool.

Masters Of Siege (ROW)

Where is this from? It sounds shady with no real benefits.

"Buy extra troops to kill them with your guns"

Cool.

that's exactly how FW studio works

The Iron Warriors are weird in that their Units are what make them more so than their Rules.

The No Morale from shooting is the biggest one though!

Bitter End can also be pretty important if you need some more time to catch up on VPs.

Their special units make them great allies. Bring a Delegatus (who is actually more worthwhile for non-Alphas after the faq), 1 or 2 tyrant squads for troops, and Havocs for the heavy support slot.  edit: actually scratch that, delegatus only opens up veterans as troops, so you have to either take 1 veteran squad (not a terrible option by any means), and 1 each of tyrants and havocs, or cough up the points for a Praetor to do the mass tyrant thing.

Might try and fit a squad of them in at higher points levels. But doesn't help with struggling with the fundamentals. Especially my unhealthy 40k holdover of "Must have 3 max-size Tactical squads in every army" going to ludicrous levels in a Legion list. 60 dudes FEELS solid, but with the abundance of anti-marine firepower around in both 30k and 40k, they look more like a liability without taking an Elites slot away for Apothecaries.

I'm starting to think 10 man squads with Nuncio-Voxes and either a QM battery or Legion Artillery battery would work better, especially if I bundle them into Rhinos. But then it doesn't feel like an Iron Warriors list for some reason. I should explain, it's the Rhinos that make it feel that way, not the Nuncio-Voxes + Artillery.

Wish the Legion's theme was easier to nail down.

20-man blobs look cool, but in my opinion are a total trap, and Iron Warriors in particular gain nothing from it (unlike say World Eaters).  Given the glee I feel as an occasional Mechanicum player whenever I see blobs of marines (lately usually calth models), I can't recommend them. Why do Rhinos not feel Iron Warriory enough? Given the ranges of engagement in the Dark Millennium, even siege warfare doesn't involve sitting in trenches/fortifications within running distance of the enemy walls. They have to cross that no-man's land somehow. Plus, you get lots of nice and flat surfaces for chevrons. It's all about the chevrons.

Edited by Terminus

Bitter End is never useful. Your opponent can end the game Turn 5 if he is winning, or use Turn 6 to get a late game denial or Objective Grab for a win.

Nope, he can choose to gain automatical a sixt and final turn instead of rolling. He cannot choose to end the game after five turns. Besides look at the AoD missions. Most of them has no random number of turns so it is not a huge disadvantage anyway. It is a bigger issue in Maelstrom or Eternal War but who plays them on a regular bases with a Horus Heresy army?

Edited by Gorgoff

Masters Of Siege (ROW)

Dang, are RoWs leaking somewhere?

Anyway I'm not sure how accurate this is, but this would match up with the rumors that the IW rite would represent them advancing under their own barrage. 2 extra compulsory troops makes me wince. Seems like it may not be very competitive but it could still be fun on the table maybe? Definitely need to hear more about it.

Surely it's a troll on Bulbafist's part ? Why should you re-roll unsuccessful hits against friendly units ? This RoW would basically allow you to take extra cannon fodder, and destroy it yourself more effectively than the enemy...

The Iron Warriors are weird in that their Units are what make them more so than their Rules.

The No Morale from shooting is the biggest one though!

Bitter End can also be pretty important if you need some more time to catch up on VPs.

Their special units make them great allies. Bring a Delegatus (who is actually more worthwhile for non-Alphas after the faq), 1 or 2 tyrant squads for troops, and Havocs for the heavy support slot.  edit: actually scratch that, delegatus only opens up veterans as troops, so you have to either take 1 veteran squad (not a terrible option by any means), and 1 each of tyrants and havocs, or cough up the points for a Praetor to do the mass tyrant thing.

The way I read it Delegatus has access to normal Rites of War plus this special mission one that only gives you veterans as troops. He still has access to Pride of the Legion, so he's still a pretty good cheap alternative to a Praetor :)

'Chosen Duty' is locked into 2 Veteran Squads, not just the Compulsory slots. It also can't be taken in an Allied Detachment as the Delegatus must be the Warlord, and your Warlord must be from the Primary Detachment.

Still, Iron Warriors make good Allies as the units are their best feature!

New (well, January's) FAQ changes this mate ;)

I'd link but I'm on phone.

As for the RoW; eh. If it allows you to target enemies in CC it might be worth it, especially with Golg. Take some basic Axe Terms, and have them move forwards under the cover of Graviton (slows enemies and reroll failed to wound has no effect) and Siege Terms in a Dreadclaw, use some spotting units like Nuncio Recon Squads outflanking to let you rain hell with a trio of Scorpius which cannot get through their saves.

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

I guess I am different in that I like lots of tac blobs so being forced to take 4 while annoying isn't horrible. I might would want to drop to 10 man squads though for pure points reasons. There has to be some advantages to this RoW we don't know yet because that is a hell of an disadvantage with no real upside that I can see.

Rites of War can never be taken for allies: praetors or primarchs also have to be warlord to have access to them

You're out of date, sir, our interpretation was right all along, and you can!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

'Chosen Duty' is locked into 2 Veteran Squads, not just the Compulsory slots. It also can't be taken in an Allied Detachment as the Delegatus must be the Warlord, and your Warlord must be from the Primary Detachment.

You're absolutely right!  The next thought is to take Pride of the Legion instead, for Tyrant troops, but then I remember the Delegatus must always be warlord. Whomp whomp.

Edited by Terminus

Rites of War can never be taken for allies: praetors or primarchs also have to be warlord to have access to them

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

Wheeee, missed that one :) Cheers :)

You're absolutely right!  The next thought is to take Pride of the Legion instead, for Tyrant troops, but then I remember the Delegatus must always be warlord. Whomp whomp.

There's always Golg, who gives you Terms ;)

Yeah, less deviation for barrage weapons (could it be all blast weapons ?) within 12 inches, you then place a marker, and other blasts don't deviate around it.

You need a siege breaker to use it... but we're iron Warriors ! We were always going to have a Siege Breaker :D

I'm thinking;

Golg

Siege Breaker, Combimelta, Chainfist

Iron Circle (replacing a Grav or the leviathan)

Siege Tyrants, Dreadclaw

Quad Mortars, Phosphex

Graviton Rapiers

Graviton Rapiers

Terminators, Dreadclaw

Terminators, Dreadclaws

Recon Squad, Nuncio, Meltabombs

Recon Squad, Nuncio, Meltabombs

Jetbikes, Melta, Meltabombs x3

Medusa Battery (normal rounds)

Leviathan, dual grav, Phosphex, Volkites

HCB Predators

Sooo, I don't know if you've seen the rules for the Iron Circle. They might not hit often, but they hit rather hard. One thing they might suffer from is getting into combat though...

Does this mean that Vigilator + Iron Circle could be an interesting option ?