[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

I prefer not to break the cycle, the discussion is good.

If you take a Scorpius for 50% extra than a Whirlwind and you're facing Solar Auxilia, or Imperialis Militia, you're doing yourself out of a favour.

I'd rather take 2 Whirlwinds rather than a Medusa.

The Scorpius IMO looks ridiculous; I use the Hunter model for it.

While I agree with you on the IG-Eq, for an all-comers list would the Scorpius still be more interesting ?

Also, not many peeps actively PuG 30k meaning you usueally have foreknowledge of the armies in your area and usually plan your games ahead.

I've tried to justify them endlessly. How can you not with these badass models?

Does not compute. Why do you need any further justification?  This is a narrative game, that should ideally be played around specific missions, not 40K maelstrom nonsense.

If you're talking maximizing your chance of winning, you shouldn't be looking at any Legion at all, because they all suck compared to regular humans or domo arigatou mr roboto.

• 3 weeks later...

Question:

Can an Iron Warriors Librarian take a Bodyguard of Iron Circle? At the very least he could cast the powers onto another HQ with said retinue.

If so, what if said Librarian got the Endurance Power and cast it on the unit?

Doesn't fix the fact that its an expensive unit but having T7 EW MC's with FNP 4+ can lead to some hilarity if one is so inclined.

True enough for a guaranteed pickup of Endurance. However, Iron Circle can only join an HQ with LA:IW or Pert so he'd only be able to buff them and not benefit.

Yeah only Iron warriors can join, but literally any consul can join a unit of iron circle. I wonder how that would work when combined with a praevian, re-rolled 4++ on a unit of castellax with dark fire cannons sounds kinda neat (if insanely expensive at that point)...would that even work? Personally I think there's enough leeway in the wording to allow for a praevian with his automata to join a unit of iron circle. Here's the wording for those who haven't seen it: In addition, units of Domitar-Ferrum class Battle-automata may be joined by a single independent character with the Legiones Astertes (Iron Warriors) special rule or the primarch perturabo contrary to the usual limitations of their unit type. The model that has joined the unit benefits from the effects of the Karceri battle shield and Moving Bulwark special rules (but retains their own invulnerable save value if it is better than that afforded by this special rule).

Edited by Runefyre

rules wise I think there is enough leeway to allow a have a praevian in a unit of iron circle. That having been said I think this is a case of rules as written vs rules as intended. I do not believe that this combination was what forge world had intended to be played, further I'd be careful who you try and play this combination with as things like this tend to quickly make games more hostile than they ever need to be. If you have an opponent willing take it on then Godspeed and you probably wreck everything that looks at you funny. 

personally I wouldn't even put a librarian in a unit of iron circle, but I'm more of a fluff bunny than anything else.

It might be tough to get a Librarian getting the right powers for your Iron Circle, but you know what you can do? You can buff them with Cybertheurgy. If you're playing with relics and have an allied Magos Dominus, you can give a whole unit +2A or +2I.

rules wise I think there is enough leeway to allow a have a praevian in a unit of iron circle. That having been said I think this is a case of rules as written vs rules as intended. I do not believe that this combination was what forge world had intended to be played, further I'd be careful who you try and play this combination with as things like this tend to quickly make games more hostile than they ever need to be. If you have an opponent willing take it on then Godspeed and you probably wreck everything that looks at you funny. 

personally I wouldn't even put a librarian in a unit of iron circle, but I'm more of a fluff bunny than anything else.

I brought this one up somewhere else (maybe even in this thread) and it got shot down. The problem is the Praevian, when purchased, is immediately attached to his automata and forms a unit. The Iron Circle's rule allows them to be joined by a single independent character, at which point the Praevian is no longer eligible.

Can I just take a single Consul with "siege breaker" to qualify for my required IW HQ slot and run the Olympian rite of war?  Rule seams confusing, need Praetor to use RoW, but IW prereq for "the hammer of Olympia  " says Warsmith or Siege Breaker and Praetors cannot be Siege breakers.

Thank you in advance.

You can only unlock and use a RoW if a model in your army has the Master of the Legion rule or Rite of Command.

If Neither are present, your army is ineligible to take a RoW.

Afterwards, to fulfil the requirements of HoO, youd then either need a Warsmith(who has MotL) or a Siege Breaker in addition to the above restriction.

You can only unlock and use a RoW if a model in your army has the Master of the Legion rule or Rite of Command.

If Neither are present, your army is ineligible to take a RoW.

Afterwards, to fulfil the requirements of HoO, youd then either need a Warsmith(who has MotL) or a Siege Breaker in addition to the above restriction.

Thx 4 the quick reply.  Just starting 30k and want to try to use the HoO RoW even though it is not the best.

Despite what some people say, HoO is actually quite a useful RoW. 4 HS slots is the biggest boon for me, it allows me to take a unit of iron havocs, tyrant siege terminators, a squadron of medusas, and a squadron of plasma preds. Hail of fire is also surprisingly useful when taken in shattered legion theme, specifically with Sons of Horus. SoH tacticals/reavers have a chance to gain back the attack (that they lost due to a disordered charge) at I1 thanks to merciless fighters, and they gain their death dealers +1BS from being 12" or less from an opponent (with a rapid fire weapon).

Does the rite not specify that it only affects units with the Iron Warriors legion astartes rule? If not that is pretty awesome.

It will - but that's the whole point of shattered legions, they affect the whole force REGARDLESS.

Edited by Charlo

Does the rite not specify that it only affects units with the Iron Warriors legion astartes rule? If not that is pretty awesome.

In a shattered legion, you can take any legion specific Rite of War (provided it doesn't have a restriction stating otherwise) so long as your warlord has the required legiones astartes variant (and master of the legion, duh :tongue.:). In addition, any rule that states it applies to a specific legiones astartes variant, instead applies to all legiones astartes variants taken in the shatterd legions primary detachment.