[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Awesome!

So I guess I will need to remove his arm an magnet it back on so I can switch between generic and named.

Is Cassian an Ironform or Contemptor.

You will need a Preator for the robot RoW I'm thinking. So Dreygur, either a Sally or IW Praetor and Cassian. Maybe a squad or 2 of IW tacticals because their tough. Then....

BOTS...BOTS...BOTSBOTSBOTS...ERRY ' BODY!!

A list with virtually no vehicles could be interesting given AT is throughly enjoyed in most HH lists that I've noticed.

Awesome!

So I guess I will need to remove his arm an magnet it back on so I can switch between generic and named.

Is Cassian an Ironform or Contemptor.

You will need a Preator for the robot RoW I'm thinking. So Dreygur, either a Sally or IW Praetor and Cassian. Maybe a squad or 2 of IW tacticals because their tough. Then....

BOTS...BOTS...BOTSBOTSBOTS...ERRY ' BODY!!

A list with virtually no vehicles could be interesting given AT is throughly enjoyed in most HH lists that I've noticed.

Well. To include Dreygur in the army, Cassian or Xiaphas must be the Warlord. And out of Xiaphas, Cassian and Dreygur, none of them have Master of the Legion. And for Cassian to be the Warlord, you can only use Dreygur or Xiaphas as your other HQ options.

That all boils down to no RoW with the Dracos/Dreygur tagteam.

What about renagades and militia as allies? That would give you very cheap artillery peices to use to provide the barrage for the new Iw RoW...?

Quite simply because I want to use those awesome secutarii eventually :biggrin.:

Also, I don't see why we should need to take allies to complete the main theme of the legion. The legion is presented as that of the big guns (regardless of tru-world siege warfare) yet we actually need allies for use to take advantage of the rules that are supposed to represent that?

*bitterness intensifies*

I'll repeat again: Effects from Rites do not carry over from the primary detachment to the allied detachment. That means the Barrage weapons from our allies do not leave Ironfire counters nor do they benefit from them.

I think as long as our allies are Sworn Brothers, our artillery will leave the Ironfire counters when firing in their proximity. Ordo Reductor would definitely be a fluffy and competitive choice. (DSing, scoring Thallax that can float between our gunline and dash to claim objectives) 

It states specifically "Friendly Iron Warrior Units" can place and benefit from the counters. They do not, however, gain fearless. I know what they wrote in the FAQ, but it's pretty contradictory to the ROW languge. Probably another good example of FW editing :)

The more I think the more likely IWs and this ROW remain great allies and a worse choice as a primary detachment.

Cassian has to be the warlord though.

I thought that Cassian had to be warlord only if Dreygur or proto-xavier weren't present ?

In order for Cassian Dracos to be the Warlord, your only other allowed HQs become Narik Dreygur and Xiaphas Jurr.

I'm not sure that would actually stop you from running a Shattered Legions force with say, a Salamanders Praetor as Warlord & MoL representing Sallies, Dreygur representing IW, and then Cassian though. 

HOWEVER, another caveat: If you run a Sally Praetor for Shattered Legions like that, Dreygur does NOT get his bonuses near Cassian. He only gets those when Cassian Dracos is the Warlord.

Cassian has to be the warlord though.

I thought that Cassian had to be warlord only if Dreygur or proto-xavier weren't present ?

In order for Cassian Dracos to be the Warlord, your only other allowed HQs become Narik Dreygur and Xiaphas Jurr.

I'm not sure that would actually stop you from running a Shattered Legions force with say, a Salamanders Praetor as Warlord & MoL representing Sallies, Dreygur representing IW, and then Cassian though. 

HOWEVER, another caveat: If you run a Sally Praetor for Shattered Legions like that, Dreygur does NOT get his bonuses near Cassian. He only gets those when Cassian Dracos is the Warlord.

Aaahhh sorry, my bad.

Nah, he just flat-out can't be included without Dracos or Xiaphas as Warlord, so no RoW trickery available.

Well, no, the Shattered Legion rules do work that way.

Dreygur's The Revenant's Pawn exceptions are for regular gaming outside of the Theme-based gaming (themes = required pre-game consent). But I've checked back and forth repeatedly in the book from the Shattered Legion section to the entries for Dreygur and Dracos and you can definitely do the Shattered Legion thing. 

Again, you lose The Revenant's Pawn bonuses though.

edit: no, wait, I just proved myself wrong. Every HQ character you take under Shattered Legions has to be from a different legion and Cassian Dracos and the Praetor would both have LA(Salamanders). Welp!

further edit: although you could run like an Iron Hands or Raven Guard Praetor, and then Dreygur and Dracos as your other two HQ options, allowing for a 3 Legion Shattered Legions force, and then you'd be able to select an Iron Hands or Raven Guard RoW, respectively.

...or you could use Shadrak Meduson and say they all teamed up for a fight, because he can run the Sally RoWs too. That's starting to stretch the SL theme though.

Edited by LetsYouDown

I'm trying to squeeze in Domitars lol. Iron Brethern RoW is the only path I'm aware of.

So to get the Cassian/Dreygur brodown you have to have Jurr? Which means as a shattered legion force you would not be allowed RoWs then, correct?

So assuming if you were to run this theoretical force. You would not have access to the Domitar'falcon Pwnch!' Bot as Praevians do not unlock them. They then remain only unlocking Thallax, Castellax and Vorax correct?

Also to do the Legion Broforce would you have to have 2 Sally HQs, Cassian and Jurr or am I getting this wrong?

This isn't sounding as immediately awesome as I originally hoped.

Edited by BrotherGecko

Really can't wait to get my hands on this book! This Dracos/Dreygur/Jurr option looks amazing for me, as I have Cassian Dracos, Narik Dreygur and the old Chaplain Xavier model for Xiaphas Jurr! :) I also wanted to run a secondary army of Loyalists, so this could work nicely...

Anyone know what gear Xiaphas Jurr comes with? Want to know if I should convert a model or just use Xavier...

Also to do the Legion Broforce would you have to have 2 Sally HQs, Cassian and Jurr or am I getting this wrong?

So basically you start with a Salamanders Legion list. Then, CASSIAN REBORN MUST BE WARLORD! For Cassian Reborn to be Warlord, the only other HQs you can use are Dreygur and/or Jurr. 

No other options! Jurr is not required. Dreygur is not actually required. Cassian can be Warlord alone if you like.

But if you want the bro-force, you can purchase Dreygur in the force with Cassian as Warlord.

If you take Dreygur in this list, he then gets Rage & Zealot w/in 12" of Dracos and unlocks a Veteran squad of Iron Warriors that doesn't take up a force org slot. THIS IS NOT A SHATTERED LEGIONS LIST OPTION. It just mildly simulates it outside of the Shattered Legions Theme List. The rest of your force is assumedly all Salamanders, actually. In fact we should probably be in the Sallies Tactica with all this :P

Really can't wait to get my hands on this book! This Dracos/Dreygur/Jurr option looks amazing for me, as I have Cassian Dracos, Narik Dreygur and the old Chaplain Xavier model for Xiaphas Jurr! :smile.: I also wanted to run a secondary army of Loyalists, so this could work nicely...

Anyone know what gear Xiaphas Jurr comes with? Want to know if I should convert a model or just use Xavier...

Master-crafted power maul & stormscale shield.

I'm thinking about mixing the new ironfire RoW with the standart Perturabo Terminator Assault list: 

-Perturabo (Ironfire RoW) + TDA Command Squad in Dreadclaw

-Siege Master, TDA

-2x Quad mortars+phosphex

-2x Terminator squads (elite but scoring)

-2x Tac Squads

-Artillery: Medusae

-your choice of scorpius, tyrants, havocs

perturabo comes on turn 1 with terminators, barrage homes in at d6 deviation, tacs advance.

turn 2 perturabo is rampaging through the enemy's deployment zone, as will be most terminators (fearless &furious charge).

Barrage around them does not scatter, tacs take midfield.

might even work well with onlaught FOC for more HS/LoWs (Typhon) because of null-deployment (tacs can take the punishment and will not run)

I'm thinking about mixing the new ironfire RoW with the standart Perturabo Terminator Assault list: 

-Perturabo (Ironfire RoW) + TDA Command Squad in Dreadclaw

-Siege Master, TDA

-2x Quad mortars+phosphex

-2x Terminator squads (elite but scoring)

-2x Tac Squads

-Artillery: Medusae

-your choice of scorpius, tyrants, havocs

perturabo comes on turn 1 with terminators, barrage homes in at d6 deviation, tacs advance.

turn 2 perturabo is rampaging through the enemy's deployment zone, as will be most terminators (fearless &furious charge).

Barrage around them does not scatter, tacs take midfield.

might even work well with onlaught FOC for more HS/LoWs (Typhon) because of null-deployment (tacs can take the punishment and will not run)

Was a big of your original PotL Perty termy list. RIP

This one should work out nicely as well, but I would definitely have a Deredeo guarding my templates over Tyrants and Havocs (18" Interceptor just doesn't compare).

Edit: Oh and no RoWs with alternate FOCs.

Edited by NonExistentOne

Had a punt at a quick Ironfire list.

Erasmus Golg = 175, The Ironfire

Command Squad, Cataphractii Terminator Armour, 2x Combi-melta, 3x Chainfist, Grenade Harness, Dreadclaw = 299

Siege Breaker, Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Combi-Melta, 2 Phosphex Bombs = 167

Quad Mortars, x3 Phosphex = 240

Quad Mortars, x3 Phosphex = 240

Quad Mortars, x2 = 120

Terminator Squad, 5x Combi-Plasma, x2 Chainfist, Dreadclaw = 310

Terminator Squad, 5x Combi-Plasma, x2 Chainfist, Dreadclaw = 310

Recon Squad, Recon Armour, Cameleoline, Nuncio Vox = 160

Medusa, x3 = 465

Siege Tyrants, Dreadclaw = 395

Whirlwind Scorpius = 115

= 2996

It's a little bit lacking in heavy armour killing; maybe swap some of the Phosphex launchers for Grav (or a Pod Gravtemptor Cortus), but even that doesn't hit hard enough to gib Spartans turn 1, which just feels half arsed. The Scout Squad is to hunker down, for Stealth in terrain for a 2+ during the first turn, and provide Nuncio vision so that I have basically no scatter accuracy (literally, max scatter is 2"). If the enemy gets tired of my artillery landing with perfect accuracy, and gibbing his characters (Barrage comes from centre of the circle, although they do get a Look Out Sir (grr)) or important special weapons, then they may prove to be a distraction.

It also shows exactly how much of a debuff that Siege Tyrants being moved out of elites were. Even without the addition of being able to take them as Troops in Pride of the Legion, that they now clash with Medusa and Whirlwind Scorpius is a major penalty. I'm honestly thinking it would be better to drop the Siege Tyrants, but they're a helpful for demeching and killing medium armour. 

But on the other hand, I'm leaving a 5 Ironfire Counters each game. I'd probably run Cataphractii on all units, so that I get the 4++. 

I would definitely drop the 4th dreadclaw of the Tyrants and spend that on a Vigilator or more Tyrants or other guns. You could drop the whirlwind (remind me if its barrage?), and instead take two units of two Medusa, and change two of the rapier squads to grav. Tyrants can babysit the 9 rapiers from melee threats.

I would definitely drop the 4th dreadclaw of the Tyrants and spend that on a Vigilator or more Tyrants or other guns. You could drop the whirlwind (remind me if its barrage?), and instead take two units of two Medusa, and change two of the rapier squads to grav. Tyrants can babysit the 9 rapiers from melee threats.

Can you take two units of artillery? I think not.

I wouldn't give the Tyrants a Dreadclaw either. Make them bigger instead for more killing power. :)

By the way... I know, we talking about tactics and stuff but that list is a Meta killer. Noones gonna play infantery anymore if you play that list more than once. Horrible effective and a nice way to end friendships. ;)

PS: I played a couple of games with Tyrants in the support slot now and yeah, it is a bummer. Pride of the Legion doesn't matter to me because I don't have the models for that yet. For my part I never thought that Tyrants should be troopes by that anyway. They are a very unique very specialized unit for siege breaking and not the daredevils like normal Terminators are. Hence they don't have the implicable advance rule.

But I think we can adapt to that change. Not easy but we can.

Edited by Gorgoff