[HH1.0] Tactica Chainaxe: World Eaters

LongGone

Bikes do a great job in World Eater forces. They have close ranged anti-tank, but are capable in assault.

I have a little pack of three attack bikes that commonly catches people off guard since they're essentially a tiny weapons platform for multi-meltas, but they can then launch into a combat with five attacks each. Good investment there.

Jetbikes are a little different in my view since unfortunately it's difficult to specialize them favorably with the one in three weapon options.. World Eaters have never suffered for anti-infantry power, so a few extra heavy bolters and Culverins aren't exactly high on my list especially when points are tight. The melta bombs are super helpful though, especially when titan fighting since they are one of the very very few things that don't hit on a 6 in close combat :D

• 2 weeks later...

Using a 3200 point world eaters army next Saturday. Angron is in a landraider phobos with 7 rampages. Khârn is in a rhino with a flamer support squad (6 flamers ). I have another rhino transporting 6 meta gun marines. 2 * 15 man tacticals ....11 jump troops with a centurion champion.... heavy bolter support squad in a rhino. 2 dreads one has sky fire the other is close combat armed with chain fist, close combat arm and flamers and these dreads will remain with the 30 tactical marines as they advance. Bog standard terminators * 5 will deploy as close to objective as possible and occupy it while those tacticals move on a different one. The entire force has blood madness. The plan is to focus on use of cover and make a cautious advance to seize objectives.... pretend to defend them until enemy tries to take them off me (he will be using slaneshi chaos) so won't depend on shooting so I will wait until it looks like he is closing on objectives at which point I will fight through and charge with everything...ignoring objectives with everything bar the terminators and jump assault who will remain as rear guard.

During advance I expect the landraider to take a lot of shooting. If it survives the rhinos will act as mini tanks shooting melta , flamers and heavy bolters plus heavy flamers.... They will be part of the fight through and get in close with those weapons before finally disgorging everything at point blank range while enemy are Contending with angron and Khârn. I hope to get a chance to charge my heavy bolter squad into close combat towards end of game for the hell of it.

Edited by esca

So I ran my first orbital assault list last night and, well..... Got totally :cussed!

Admittedly there was a lot of very bad roles and not really that much more tactically I could of done. I was against Raven guard and found myself quite stretched across the board.

Do any of you run it? If so what tips and tricks do you like?

So I ran my first orbital assault list last night and, well..... Got totally :censored:!

Admittedly there was a lot of very bad roles and not really that much more tactically I could of done. I was against Raven guard and found myself quite stretched across the board.

Do any of you run it? If so what tips and tricks do you like?

What was your list? There are certain basic similarities to all Orbital Assault lists, I may be able to help you identify them.

+++ 2250 orbital (2250pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) ++

+ HQ +

Khârn the Bloody [Legacy of Blood]

Master of the Legion [Orbital Assault]

+ Troops +

Legion Tactical Squad [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Support Squad [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns]

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon

Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Melta Gun, Plasma Blaster]

Legion Terminator Squad [Chainfist, 4x Legion Terminators, 3x Power Fist, Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]

Legion Terminator Sergeant [Chainfist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [Furious Charge, Legion Drop Pod, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Bombs]

Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

The Red Butchers [4x Butcher Terminator]

The Devoured [2x Chainfist, Second Power Axe]

+ Fast Attack +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XII: World Eaters]

• 3 weeks later...

Do WE get any sort of bonus to bringing in reserves? I'd be hesitant to use a reserve heavy force unless I am playing Sons of Horus!

In other news, I am considering the WE as my second Legion and using the new box that is coming out.

The large number of tacticools seems to fit really well with WE meta, in that large blobs of tacticools go really well with Legion bonuses?

Not really. The usual options like the Damocles Command Rhino and Land Raider Proteus with EAA will help. :)

Something to note is Khârn's Warlord Trait gives a +1 to Seize the Initiative and choosing deployment order, which can help dictate how your game plays out (i.e. running a Drop Pod Assault army, but getting to go 2nd to waste your opponent's 1st turn).

You get to reroll failed Reserve rolls with any fortification with access to Comms Relay get the same benefit.

Damocles Command Rhinos and Explorator Array Proteus get Reserve benefits.

Drop Pods, Dreadnought Drop Pods, Anvillus Drop Pods, and Kharybdis Assault Claws have the drop pod assault rule, which brings the unit on first turn automatically.

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

So, the new Horus Heresy board game.

We all know what's in the box by now. Thinking of making myself a 30k World Eaters force to go with my 40k force. Since Berserker Assault requires 3 Troops, that'll take care of the PA Marines in the box. Obviously they'll have the holy trinity of bolter, bolt pistol, and close combat weapon.

But then what? Power fists or lightning claws for the Cataphractii? Kheres or multi-melta for the Contemptor? And that's before you pad out the content with extra toys from elsewhere (either FW or just another BaC box).

I'm also very tempted to boot up WE from my second box, if I can finish test models to my satisfaction (fml white)

I really dig:

The colour scheme is beauteous

I can splash that blood technical pot all over the hizzhous

The swarm, the beserker swaaaarm!

Nifty rules with no real drawbacks (fluffwise)

Fun to play? I used to play a Khornate Warband in 40k but found melee focused armies were meh, but fun. This seems to make melee both fun and viable! Fiable?! Viafunble?

Modelling tacticals with Axes = cool!

So what I am thinking is a dank blob of tacticals and assault marines. 20 man tactical blob supported by artificer apocs, artificer sarge with fist to yolo at the enemy. Assault Squad yolos about the map axing things with ICs. Two CCW Temptors w/grav to nuke any armour. One Spartan for one tactical blob (the other footslogs) while I have 6 outriders to tie up anything so the swaaaaarm! can arrive to finish the job.

Soo

HQ 

Praetor w/JP Archeopistol Paragon Blade

Champion or Chaplain? JP w/Weapon?

Troops

15 Man Tactical blob with extra CCW/Axes with Artificer Sarge & PF

20 Man Tacticool blob with extra CCW/Axes with Artificer Sarge & PF

20 Man Assault blob with Artificer Sarge & above HQs

Elites

Two Temptors in pods (Dual CCW w/grav guns)

2x Artificer Apocs

Fast Attack

Gotta go fast! 6 Outriders with Outrider Sarge (stock bolters) to tie up something for the tacticool footslog blob to come finish up)

Heavy Support

Spartan with the usual trimmings for 20 man tacticool blob

total 2.5k

I'd appreciate any suggestions, especially weapon choices for my characters. I'm at a loss on what's best. I get the vague idea Caedere weapons are meh, so for my Chappy/Champ a power weapon? Seems...bland.

Thinking the outriders can be dropped in place of some better AV though, if needed. I also have..no...AA. Perhaps dropping the outriders for the ubiquitous Deredeo is an idea.

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

@erza: dont forget that WE marines technically get free chainaxes.

Also if you have a bunch of left and right handed power axes, you could use those to represent Red Butchers with you Cataphractii Terminators if youre so inclined. Give the Sarge Dual Chain Fists or Thunderhammers though!

So, the new Horus Heresy board game.

We all know what's in the box by now. Thinking of making myself a 30k World Eaters force to go with my 40k force. Since Berserker Assault requires 3 Troops, that'll take care of the PA Marines in the box. Obviously they'll have the holy trinity of bolter, bolt pistol, and close combat weapon.

But then what? Power fists or lightning claws for the Cataphractii? Kheres or multi-melta for the Contemptor? And that's before you pad out the content with extra toys from elsewhere (either FW or just another BaC box).

*Holy trinity of bolter, bolt pistol, and free chainaxe. It's one of a couple cool things we get. Milk it. 

Your Cataphractii armaments depend entirely on what you want to do with them. You won't lack anti-infantry power whenever you're playing Berzerker Assault, so its good to think about where you need to fill in other niches.Lightning claws are awesome, especially when charging with Rage + Hatred and/or Furious Charge, but they will probably be more marine killing potential that you already have covered with your tacticals. On the other hand, with a few combi-meltas and a chainfist or two, they are a pretty great anti-vehicle support squad. A land raider or spartan to keep them from foot slogging would be a good investment as well.

Same thing with the contemptor. A multi-melta and graviton gun in the fist would probably be your best bet for knocking down enemy tanks. 

Edited by Flint13

Haven't got enough chainaxes lying around to benefit my 30k WE much, they all got spent on my 40k army. :p

Guess I'll kit the Cataphractii and Contemptor to take on and destroy vehicles. They'll beat up infantry anyway, and a chainfist kills a Marine as dead as a powerfist does. Time to scrounge for some combi-meltas.

Depends on what you want to go for.

The Khorne Berzerker axes are pretty cheap on bits sites, FW sells a 5 pack of axe/pistol which comes with a FW price tag, or Anvil Industries does a pretty cool set of 6 for decently cheap. 

Depends on what you want to go for.

The Khorne Berzerker axes are pretty cheap on bits sites, FW sells a 5 pack of axe/pistol which comes with a FW price tag, or Anvil Industries does a pretty cool set of 6 for decently cheap. 

Do want. Not too expensive, and I only need 5 sets initially.

Thank you!

Yeah, the debate over the free chainaxes is still a healthy debate.Forge World has replied multiple times with their typical boilerplate "that is a good question, talk it over with your opponent." 

However, it's been done to death and this is not the place for it to start up again. Everyone has a different opinion on it, so that pre-game convo with your opponent is probs the best course until FW puts something in writing. 

Edited by Flint13

Chainaxes are indeed an iconic must for a World Eater, like scripture for a Word Bearer or the heka staves for Thousand Sons. 

The berzerker tide can work really well in some match ups, just realize there will be a few like Mechanicum or armored up Solar Aux that will cause really big problems. 

I'd suggest an apothecary attached to each unit and really good ranged anti-tank to support your wave of bros. 

Chainaxes are indeed an iconic must for a World Eater, like scripture for a Word Bearer or the heka staves for Thousand Sons. 

The berzerker tide can work really well in some match ups, just realize there will be a few like Mechanicum or armored up Solar Aux that will cause really big problems. 

I'd suggest an apothecary attached to each unit and really good ranged anti-tank to support your wave of bros. 

My fiendish plan is pretty much that, rely on beserkers to wipe infantry with apocs and HQs supporting. 

Then I role with 3x Apocs, 2x Drop Pod Dual CCW/Grav temptors & a Deredeo for AA. 

All for 2k. I reckon it will be quite effective - how good are WE Tacs at footslogging?