The Fall Of Seraph - Histories of the IXth

JackDaw

I've got seven of these things in front of me man, together we can pull through it!

Just a tip for those out there who've never painted bikes or jetbikes before. They suck. Against all reason and probability, they are for some weird reason the most motivation-draining models I've ever painted. You find yourself asking if the rules or how cool they look are even worth it because you just. want. it. to. end.

..Might I ask why? It seems odd to me that they would be so-draining.

I don't know man. All I know is I painted two, then sold them off to preserve my sanity. I won't even say they're super detailed, it's just so...draining I guess. It's really hard to explain. 

I've got seven of these things in front of me man, together we can pull through it!

Just a tip for those out there who've never painted bikes or jetbikes before. They suck. Against all reason and probability, they are for some weird reason the most motivation-draining models I've ever painted. You find yourself asking if the rules or how cool they look are even worth it because you just. want. it. to. end.

..Might I ask why? It seems odd to me that they would be so-draining.

I don't know man. All I know is I painted two, then sold them off to preserve my sanity. I won't even say they're super detailed, it's just so...draining I guess. It's really hard to explain. 

lol I'm so glad I'm not alone in... the curse of the bike.

...Yeah now im anxious of the day I buy 12 with the plan of running a 9 man Squad + 3 Jetbike HQs or something like that.

3 of the peeps that blow me away with their work all complaining about it? Kinda worried :P

...Yeah now im anxious of the day I buy 12 with the plan of running a 9 man Squad + 3 Jetbike HQs or something like that.

3 of the peeps that blow me away with their work all complaining about it? Kinda worried tongue.png

Hey man, maybe you'll find it easier than us, but you've been warned! haha

Great looking Scimitars dude! They turned out beautifully :)

I'm also slightly concerned by your jetbike experience. I'm hoping to eventually add some to my force and probably will anyway, but you've made me wary. I've never even painted a space marine bike before so the experience will be totally new to me. Having said that, I've painted plenty of cavalry/monstrous cavalry minis for Warhammer Fantasy and never really struggled, so fingers crossed :P

I hadn't checked in on the project in a long time, and I remain incredibly impressed at the detail of the miniatures and their stories. I also was listening to a song that gave me absolute chills while combined reading the fluff (particularly on the Rage)- Arsonists's Lullaby by Hozier.  "Never tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash." 

Anyway, I'm excited to see the project completed. Keep it up! 

Evening everyone smile.png

Sweet sweet progress. Man it tastes good. But first, replies.

Brother Dallo - No ETL for me I don't think, not sure I can commit to something like that. I will think about it though. The statue in the background is a piece of scenery I did for The High House Of Chains, my Druchii army, using one of the old FW Malus Darkblade statuettes. More pics here.

Brother Heinrich - Crazy isn't it? No reason at all that I can think of, but they are hard hard work to paint. Look boss when they are done though, trust me. Also, I may have to steal some of your Blood Angel haircuts....

Slipstreams - There's just something very.......off... about them, makes them uninspiring to paint. Might be the large curved plain spaces, I dunno.

Vazzy - Another Scimitar victim! We should set up a support group or something.

Kizzdougs - Thanks for the kind words man, glad they look decent. We're here for you when you start yours, a shoulder to cry on and all that msn-wink.gif

Mr Bleak - Glad to hear you are enjoying everything fella, and thanks for continuing to come back smile.png

BrotherJim - Haha join the 'Bikes Suck' club bro.

Flint13 - Meh, I think the lighting helps there, its washed and flattened things out a bit. But having said that, now that they are done, they do look pretty damn boss.

So yep, bikes all done. Pics and fluff etc to come once I finish uploading the pics.

Then its Breachers HOOOOOOOOO

Jack

No bold text for my name, huh? laugh.png

That statue is awesome. The fluff for it is top notch, too.

Shame about the ETL. Would you consider a single-man vow then? I did my counts as Mephiston last year as an opening vow.

Regardless, we're looking forward to more pretty red people. wub.png

Dallo

Reflections of the Father – Speed and Strength

"I runne to Death, and Death meets me as fast, and all my Pleasures are like Yesterday"

From the works of Jo-Donne, writer of Meta-physik, circa early M1 

“I know, I know, when you picture bikes you picture the Fifth yes? The Khan’s warriors, swift and terrible, born to the saddle. Well, they may have embraced the Scimitar as their own, but we Angels have always known how to fly. During Seraph’s fall, the Sky-Hunter squadrons were our pathfinders, our rangers, our stinging swarm of slake-wasps striking at the enemy. If you saw them coming, you were already dead. “

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph

Bastian Ortega, once named Icarium, of the IXth Legion Astartes.

* Display: Sky-hunter squadron Scorpion-8 of Seraph Company, IXth Legion Astartes.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150413_204745_zpsmavnpd4m.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150414_191312_zpso83mhsbu.jpg

I spoke with Reyn but once on Terra before he died. He gave little away, keeping his thoughts hidden and quiet. I believe he was scared of me, of my gift, in some fashion. Always distant, it was Reyn that range the furthest from Seraph, marking routes and paths for us. We found his body, unmarked, bearing no wounds that we could see, laying next to his abandoned Scimitar on a small concourse some two kilometres from his last reported position, no explanation of why he was there and nothing of note in the area. Unable to hold more of his memories than a fleeting impression, I am only able to say that he felt a great sadness at how far Man had fallen and how swiftly we had destroyed all we held dear and true in this life.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150414_191202_zpswdrc66om.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150414_191220_zpsseeqnud0.jpg

Brothers in all but the literal meaning of the word, Krisos and Alvari were raised to the Ninth from the same Baalite tribe at the same time and were nigh on inseparable. I doubt any two Astartes were as close in manner and thought as these two, to the point where a conversation with one was often a conversation with both as they finished each other’s sentences. They created the most wondrous art together, frescoes of the most intricate detail and colour. The wonder of our gene-seed being what it is, I would argue that they became brothers in truth, in the blood. Where it counted. No wonder then that they died together – Alvari first, Krisos moments later – duelling in the skies against Eater Assault troops and Sky-Hunters.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150414_191236_zps1f5ewhrf.jpg

Osserc was the last of our Scorpions to die, circling the brutal mass of combat where Seraph fell, his Scimitar coughing smoke, bolter dry. I saw him raise his fist in salute to his brothers below, echoing the tradition of countless warriors from aeons past, before driving his Scimitar into a knot of Eaters, immolating them in glorious fire. Too swift, even in death, for my mind to capture him and thus his soul walks Terra still. From what I remember of him before the Fall, he was like the others of the Scorpions; mercurial in temperament, quick of tongue and endearingly attached to his Scimitar.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150414_191327_zps8ggsuygc.jpg

In a Legion of ten thousand, it is inevitable that there must be some Legionaries that are impossible to like. Telemon Ayl was one of those Legionaries. Vainglorious, arrogant, quick to sing his own praises and cruel of tongue, Ayl was irritatingly skilled with spear in hand and thus able to back up his boasts of prowess with actual deeds. I actively avoided his company, as did others of Seraph, and we were grateful that he had chosen the Scorpions as his home. I can only imagine that the speeds at which they operated precluded the opportunity for idle chatter and thus spared the rest of his squad from his abrasive personality. I am not ashamed to admit that I considered refusing his memories when we found his body, pierced through by Eater blades. Alone of Seraph, he was unworthy of remembrance. Yet, he was one of them till the end and I could not turn from him.

*Image Codicium access released: Visual cortex stimulation ended

Wow, I didn't think you could top your Three Hives plog, Jack, but with this project you've taken it up several levels; the modelling, the painting and especially the fluff are all exquisite. I've just leafed through it at random for the moment but I'm looking forward to going through it all properly. :)

Evening everyone, quick little progress update from me tonight.

Brother Dallo - Thanks man, that statue was the capping point of three years of work on that army. So proud of the House. I'll have a think about the vow, reckon I can manage at least one Angel for it. Still more of Seraph to come, soon as I can get another delivery of bits from my buddy. 

Laborious - Ah thanks buddy, way too kind. I do miss the Talons, but dont really play 40k anymore - I'll have to get them out soon and gaze lovingly at them. It's such a compliment that you think so highly of The Fall so far, hope you enjoy your proper read-through.

Right, so here's whats on the painting table at the moment:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150422_204438_zpsaer4o2mf.jpg

Armour all done, details blacked up, so not much more to go on them. Way back when I started this project, I was hugely dubious about painting red on this large a scale - the last two armies I had painted were both a bleak cold bone colour, which suited my painting style way more than warmer primary colours. Having said all of that....I'm really enjoying painting red. A lot. And I really like the finish I'm getting on the red.

Now, until I get some more bits, those Breachers are the last line Astartes I can paint for a while. However, I do have a few things lined up to tide me over:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150422_204454_zps93yt0gch.jpg

From left to right then - The Moritat (all assembled now), a Destroyer, Raziel, the Old Bull, a new Veteran, and a new Breacher.

I've got enough parts to make another 2 Breachers and I think another 3 Destroyers at the moment, but hopefully some more bits should be coming soon. 

Here's a close-up of the new Veteran - the idea is that he was in training to become a Warden (the Heresy-era Blood Angel Chaplain analogue) at the time of the Fall. Pretty happy with him, might go back and add a little bit of Angel decoration but other than that I do like how simple he is.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150422_204619_zps3cpd1ina.jpg

That's it for tonight everyone - as ever, your continued support is awesome and your comments are always thankfully received.

Cheers,

Jack

Jimbo13 - Going as fast as I can fella, I only get about 5 hours hobby time a week dammit! And thanks man, very kind of you to say so :) 

Laborious - Thanks man, I do love them now they are finished, but God Almighty they were hard work to get done. Raziel might be a while, got a few things on the list before him. Looking forward to painting him though. 

Borne Upon Dark Wings

"I am become the Angel of Lamentation, and death rides in my wake."

Source unknown

*Image Codicium accessed*

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150424_201253_zps7u8j22zu.jpg

Unknown Legionnaire, IXth Legion Astartes, designation unclear. Missing, presumed killed in action during the Siege of Terra. 

*Image Codicium released*

Hello folks, hows tricks?

Kobrakei - I take that as a good response then? ;)

depthcharge12 - Moritat indeed, glad you like him

Flint13 - He's a good looking bastard isnt he? Gotta be dual bolt as well, you know I have no truck with fancy gaming combos.

The Psycho - Thanks man :)

Right, where did I put those pics.....

Archived