++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

I'll be trying the new Leadbelcher spray tomorrow, as well as building up Dark Mechanicus models for my 5th Grand Company.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Iron%20Warriors/DSC09603_zps9wzhocpi.jpg

I'll try update the main post with White Dwarf part, help cover thing like Will of Iron article.

Keenly interested in the Leadbelcher report.

Just started test the new spray out.  The colour a bit more like Runefang Steel but I've found the spray to be really great.  It cover the model really well, it dry really well. that was 10.30am, but 10.45 when I went back to check they where ready - just Khorne red, hour after leaving it to dry on the Bloodthister model, it was still bit tacky & finger print would be left on the model.

But I like this spray along with the z.... (not great with the new names for the GW paint range) dust which I've been using on my Chaos Guard tanks & the blue spray that was release.

I've got & taken some photos during today & I'll post later on to let people check it out.  I'm going to get the Berzerker up to the armour stage today & look that buying a few more these can's. 

As said there I use the Leadbelcher spray yesterday & I really like it.  Testing the spray on a Bloodletter model first & then on the Berzerker for my brand new unit for the 5th Grand Company.

I will pick up a few more can's.  It cover the models really well, the spray paint dry really fast in my view/15min when I went back to check the model.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Iron%20Warriors/DSC09603_zps9wzhocpi.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Iron%20Warriors/DSC09615_zpstg6st8um.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Iron%20Warriors/DSC09616_zpsveyxl7x0.jpg

How the model currently looking on the bottem left of the photo after a few wash.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Iron%20Warriors/DSC09624_zpsxnnmbyct.jpg

Mmh, this really looks like the Army Painter Metal Spray (I mean the effect on the models). If it works the same way, then multiple layers will darken the model a bit. And you also get it a little darker when you spray it on blackened models which have not completely dried yet. But no guaranties.

Hey there, fellow brethren. I want to share with you some of the latest exploits of the 53rd Grand Company. I was lucky to get four games in (1500 pts each) the last 10 days.

The first was against Astra Militarum with Parsk and lot's of tanks. For a long time it didn’t look very good for my IW, but then I managed to blow up Parsk with a lucky Melta shot and to summon some daemons for more board-control. We finished early because my opponent had to leave, and so the game ended in a draw (8:8 vp). It was the first time I summoned some daemons, and although they didn’t do much this game, it dawned on me that summoning might be really good. I also learned that Wyverns are really dangerous foes.

The second game was against my friends' Grey Knights. I won the game, but it was not that much fun. We spent a lot of time looking up rules while still getting some wrong, which had quite some impact on the game. Although the result came for the most part from me rolling an unbelievable amount of successful armor-saves, the rules issues still felt like warping the game. But the game really showed how good summoning daemons can be, as the two units I summoned captured objectives and tarpitted a Dreadknight for 2 turns. I used a lvl 2 Sorcerer and a lvl 3 Daemon Prince. Five charge dice base, together with a spell familiar, is a pretty good foundation for summoning. My friend says that the familiar is really a bit over the top (and summoning outright broken). I disagree, of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the spell familiar gone with our next book, and then popping up again in some loyalist book as some sort of holy relic or sth…

For the third and fourth games I will go a bit more into detail. The third game was again against the Grey Knights.

Here the lists:

Daemon Prince (Nurgle), wings, armor, lvl 2, spell familiar, black mace

Sorcerer, lvl 3, spell familiar, 5++, (axe)

7 Chosen, 3 Melta, Power Fist, Icon of Vengeance, Rhino (Champ without upgrades)

10 CSM, 2x Plasma, Rhino

10 CSM, Champ with Combi-Melta, 2x Melta, Rhino

2x2 Obliterators, MoN

1 Obliterator, MoN

So, the Sorcerer went with the Chosen and rolled on Telepathy. I figured that it’s enough to give the DP lvl 2, as the only power you really want is the primaris from malefic daemonology. The Chosen squad is surely clunky, but I thought a power fist might come in handy, and three melta are three melta (I also wanted to use the models, as I hadn't fielded my pf dude nor my banner bearer so far). I found that being able to run away is a life-saver against Terminators, but I wanted the squad to be fearless for the automatically successful moral-checks, which help against various psychic powers, and because I thought that with the fist and the axe it should be hitting hard enough if stuck in combat.

My friend ran his standard Nemesis strike force:

2x Librarian, lvl 3, TCA

3 Terminator squads, hammer, psycannon

2 Razorbacks with lascannons

2 Dreadknights with flamers and psycannons (I think)

He decided to put the Librarians into different squads and to bring in everything but the Razorbacks Nemesis-style.

For the mission we rolled a 5 on the maelstrom chart. It's hammer-and-anvil deployment and hidden tactical objectives (which I enjoy greatly). In the following pic you can see what the terrain looked like.

I lost the roll for the choice of the table-side, so my opponent denied me the cover of the buildings. But to make matters worse I also lost the roll for deployment and deciding who goes first. So he hid his two Razorbacks behind the two GW ruins and decided to deepstrike the rest of his force. Looking at the terrain on my side of the table, I didn't think that I would last for two turns. All I could hope for was for him to suffer deep strike misshaps due to the high number of impassable wild growth-pieces on my side of the table. So I deployed the CSM and the Chosen in their Rhinos, as well as three Obliterators, while I kept one unit of Oblits and the DP in reserve (as I didn't want it to be killed without a chance to do anything with it).

Now some things happened that turned the bad situation on its head. For the first time ever, I was able to steal the initiative. Of course I couldn't do much 1st turn, but I scored some easy objectives, and one Obliterator immobilized one of the Razorbacks with a lascannon hit. On his turn he indeed suffered one deepstrike mishap, and I was able to place one Terminator squad with a Librarian in it on the other side of the table. Also, one of the Dreadknights didn't show up first turn. He then concentrated fire on my Obliterators and managed to kill the 2-man-squad (which meant first blood went to him) and put one wound on the single Oblit.

In the following turns, I unloaded everything and gunned down the two Dreadknights - one a turn - with concentrated fire from the melta-CSM, the Chosen and the third unit of Obliterators which arrived via deep strike on turn two. The plasma-CSM and the lone Obliterator dealt with the Terminator unit without Librarian, while the unit with Librarian tried to help out the Dreadknights. The unit of the Librarian managed to beat up the melta-CSM, but those got away only losing a few members. Then it was charged by the Chosen who had lost a few members to shooting and psychic attacks (before the Chosen had softened the unit up with a hefty melta and bolt pistol barrage). They fought for like three combat phases without anyone suffering a wound! That was hilarious, especially since the sorcerer fought in a challenge against the librarian, and both were on one wound because of perils of the warp. The combat was decided when the melta-CSM regrouped and one turn later joined the fight (the sorcerer won his challenge after a heroic intervention by the champion of the melta-CSM was attempted but failed).

Meanwile, I used my Rhinos and remaining Obliterators to score objectives, while he tried to walk his Terminator squad who had mishapped closer to the action. You also may wonder what had become of my Daemon Prince. Well, he didn't show up until turn four and then did nothing, except drawing some fire and a psychic shriek, and thus suffering three wounds. His spell familiar didn't help with summoning this time (nor with casting anything else). In the end I won 14:8 vp. Here some more pics with impressions:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/Spiel%2002-04/11146339_781651678585355_8653880324086151734_o.jpg

This is a pic taken turn 2 after the second Dreadknight had arrived. It almost had gone over the edge! On the right side the three Terminators tried to multicharge the Oblit and the plasma-CSM. The latter coldly gunned down two of them. But maybe they just fell over that enormous daemon hammer one of them was carrying... Oh and that green template in the backfield is a vortex of doom which jumped around for three whole turns without getting anywhere near anything it could have harmed. The blue dice were smoke markers as my Rhinos had popped smoke that turn.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/Spiel%2002-04/10835447_781651681918688_2736170752665373093_o.jpg

This must have been turn three after my Chosen charged the remnants of the Librarian (which also was the warlord) and his squad. The melta-CSM had just regrouped after running from the Librarians squad.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/Spiel%2002-04/11080537_781651631918693_4420855266915534497_o.jpg

That's turn four after the Daemon Prince finally showed up to do absolutely nothing, except for almost getting himself killed. One more funny thing was my Rhino claiming line-breaker and trying to ram that Razorback to no effect. The plasma-CSM on the right later moved up and were almost wiped out by shooting and a psychic shriek from the angry second Librarian and his Terminators.

Yeah, so the fourth and final game was vs a combined force of Dark Angels and Grey Knights (sharing one CAD). The Grey Knights brought some dudes in Power Armor (yeah, the myth is real!) in a Razorback, a Terminator-squad with lvl 3 Librarian (this time with some nasty artifact) and 1 Dreadknight with psilencer and incinnerator. The DA brought a bunch of Bikers with loads of plasma, an Apothecary and a lvl 2 psyker, and a squad of five White Knights (wonder if that name is right?) with power mauls and stormshields and a bunch of nasty special rules which scared the hell out of me. He also brought a Tactical Squad with a plasma cannon and a plasma rifle, and the sergant had a plasma pistol. I would have loved to bring a helbrute mayhem formation, but my two dreads are still on the painting table, and so I used the same list as above.

This time we played an eternal crusade mission (I think the name of the mission was crusade as well) with three objectives (1D3 + 2) worth three vp each at the end of the game. The terrain had been placed symmetrically, so picking sides was not essential. I won the role for deployment though, deployed first and went first (they tried, but couldn't steal initiative). I have to say that playing to players was not that much fun and that I prefer to play a single player (maybe two on two is also quite nice, as syncing your actions with your partner might add another level to the game; but to play two people simultaiously was simply tedious).

I figured that I wouldn't stand a chance in the open, so I hid two Rhinos (plasma-CSM and Chosen) and a 2-man Obliterator squad behind a big rock on my left flank (see next pic) and the other Rhino, the lone Obliterator and the DP behind the ruin on my right flank. I successfully waited my opponents out (that is for them to make the first attempt to attack) and capitalised on some movement mistakes on the Dark Angel-flank (my left one). In the end I was able to exterminate the DA from the board. After moving them badly, lot's of plasma shots killed most of the bikes and only left the psyker at one wound. Then the White Knights and the psyker climbed up the hill and attacke one Obliterator squad. But since they didn't use their smite attack, one Obliterator survived on one wound, which on the backswing swatted the psyker (scoring kill the warlord for me). My Obliterator still ran. Later a psychic shriek killed 3 of the White Knights and the other two fell prey to more plasma fire from the other Obliterators. The Tactical Marines first gunned down half of my plasma-CSM, but were then tarpitted in close combat by the survivors for 2 whole turns. Then the Obliterators burned four with heavy flamers and mopped up the rest close and personal.

On the other flank I fed the Grey Knights with summoned daemons which were gunned down the moment they arrived, like they had the plague or sth (which the Plaguebearers probably had). That way, I gave up first blood and my Rhino in the ruin was immobilised before moving as much as an inch, but at least it kept the Grey Knights from trying to strom my position with teleports and a Razorback-rush. My opponent clearly had tried to move his force in concert to be able to counter the Daemon Prince jumping forward from behind the building and attacking something with the mace. I soon realized this, and so I simply sacrificed that flank and eventually let my DP take to the air and fly across the field summoning one last unit of daemonettes, while the melta-CSM had to suffer the wrath of the Grey Knights. In the end I was able to claim two of three objectives and had scored slay the warlord and line- breaker. They had achieved first blood and so the final score was 8:4. Here are some pictures to clarify things:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/Spiel%2006-04/10498521_781659171917939_7940967728452480414_o.jpg

On this picture you can see how the terrain was set up and how the situation was at the very end of the game. The Obliterators had just killed off the last tactical DA in close combat and also scored line-breaker. The DP was in swooping mode. There was one moment were he would have suffered a wound from a charged psilencer, and thus would have been instant-killed, had I rolled a 1 for his jink save. I didn't and that probably won me the game, since the daemonettes he summoned afterwards captured the midfield objective, as you can see in the pic. In the distance you can see the Grey Knights turning around to attack the middle of the board - but too late. Up there you can see the two lone survivors of the melta-CSM.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/Spiel%2006-04/11080797_781659241917932_2156396685223506177_o.jpg

This pic shows the remnants of my Chosen at the end of the game. With their shooting they had managed to take the last wound off the Dreadknight, who had stood right before them. The Knight might have turned the game with a teleport attack on the midfield objective, which he could have scored had he gunned down the daemonettes (which he easily could have). But that way the Chosen only had to take some smallarms fire in which four members of the squad died.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Therrous/Spiel%2006-04/11088745_781659145251275_3523534778793750976_o.jpg

Yeah, and this is the perspective of the Grey Knights at the end of the game. Victorious on their flank and with only one hull point taken from their Razorback (both squads had not suffered a single wound) they found themselves outmanouvered at the end of the game. 

What I took away from these games - besides fond memories - is that summoning is really good, and that in this edition CSM should make as much good use of the psychic phase as possible. Telepathy is a strong set of spells, especially with invisibility and psychic shriek. The spell familiar really is a must have for any CSM psyker. CSM are not the top of the curve, but they also aren't as bad as many people make them. Sure thing we in our group don't play tournament lists, but we also don't hold back. This time around the CSM triumphed, next time I might get my a** kicked - we'll see. As a matter of fact, some vicious Black Templars have already challenged the 53rd for a game somewhere in the not so distant (grimdark) future...

Edited by Iron Skull Mask

Hey you ol' trusty & rusty bunch,

I thought I show you my attempts at painting up some IW for a Kill Team. It will become a 20 man strong squad at some point because my Thousand Sons need some willing sheep allies to do the dirty work. Hope you like them! 

All is rust... 

I don't like your perspective on your allied Iron Warriors (though they should know better than to trust a Tzeentchian psyker :rolleyes: ), but man, those are really cool-looking models! 

Hey you ol' trusty & rusty bunch,

I thought I show you my attempts at painting up some IW for a Kill Team. It will become a 20 man strong squad at some point because my Thousand Sons need some willing sheep allies to do the dirty work. Hope you like them! 

All is rust... 

I don't like your perspective on your allied Iron Warriors (though they should know better than to trust a Tzeentchian psyker :rolleyes: ), but man, those are really cool-looking models! 

Pete Haines Iron Warriors are led by a former Thasound Son's techmarine.  They do look cool Aasfresser, same with your test model Kaldoth.

Just got the Iron Warriors MkII Helmets upgrade from Forge World last week & they look a lot cooler.  Already use one for a new Terminators I've added to squad Proeliator led by Champion Sevatar Rauth.

Will anyone be taken part in the ETL this year?  This will be my first one I'm planning on enter.  Just in the past this time of year is usely really busy for me.  While it still seem like it'll be busy for the next few months, I'm needing to get a new unit converted & painted for a few events I've got soon & also allow me to try out a unbound army I've wanted to try out for past year.

I'm going to the Warhammer World open day & aim to pick up a lot parts from the brand new Forge World store.

So guys I thought I'd just jump in and introduce myself as the latest member of the IVTH legion;

For ETL IV I'll be bringing my inspiration from such sources as Insane Psycopath, Hyaenidae, Storm of iron (best book ever), Tallaran executioner, tallaran ironclad and of course the IA articles and FW book 3 extermination.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/6TAzLEv6IaPfc04cJcDC5-pod0e8du0nF0D7RWkQ2jBBwmqL0tpOJZ5V2xHvHISmIOdj_TKcmpxbN_pnTcRDsyFUKSW_EIz_0LDM4I75PPhEBfOWYlDTIuTHzEe_zpsdcnt85nn.jpeg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/64GmUIkWlPQWzgoQ50cH5YeY1YXJEB27uLSsxlljnb8S7oQPFwnhK3Wa_I6hLc9Fs_etQY-JSCTLGHrc8wrXwcvZElwqfGL1jh_SrAxq5np5B9oXQev-9M945wY_zpsg4vs7mli.jpeg

So I'm hoping to do the Iron warriors proud.

Just started test the new spray out.  The colour a bit more like Runefang Steel but I've found the spray to be really great.  It cover the model really well, it dry really well. that was 10.30am, but 10.45 when I went back to check they where ready - just Khorne red, hour after leaving it to dry on the Bloodthister model, it was still bit tacky & finger print would be left on the model.

But I like this spray along with the z.... (not great with the new names for the GW paint range) dust which I've been using on my Chaos Guard tanks & the blue spray that was release.

I've got & taken some photos during today & I'll post later on to let people check it out.  I'm going to get the Berzerker up to the armour stage today & look that buying a few more these can's. 

Interesting review man, thanks ! I am about to use this as a basecoat for a new army and it's great to watch the effect :)

A quick question though, did you use it as a basecoat/primer for the two models you tried it on ? Does the paint stick well or did you geel the grip lose later on on the models ? :smile.:

Cheers !

Edited by GreyCrow

Interesting review man, thanks !

A quick question though, did you use it as a basecoat/primer for the two models you tried it on ? Does the paint stick well or did you geel the grip lose later on on the models ? :smile.:

Cheers !

Just quick note

- I always undercoat my models with Chaos Black spray.  Then I'll use the colour spray.  Same I will always varnish my models.

The spray been really good, it went onto the models really well.  No problem that all & the three models I've use the spray on so far been really good.  Two complete painted models & one who will be painted this week.

It only been Khorne red that I've found I've needed to spray twice.  Blue spray good but a bit to strong smell wise.

I've got two Leadbelcher spray so far & aim on stock up on these.

Thanks man, I'll try your technique :smile.: Chaos Black, then LeadBelcher sprays.

One thing, like all spray is just be careful & not to spray to heavy other wise it will block detail.  Leadbelcher spray good & cover the model really well.  I found I barely had to re-paint any area's of the model with one spray of Leadbelcher.

I got a new Berzerker to convert later today.  So try & take some photos tomorrow.

Thanks man, I'll try your technique :smile.: Chaos Black, then LeadBelcher sprays.

One thing, like all spray is just be careful & not to spray to heavy other wise it will block detail.  Leadbelcher spray good & cover the model really well.  I found I barely had to re-paint any area's of the model with one spray of Leadbelcher.

I got a new Berzerker to convert later today.  So try & take some photos tomorrow.

Just wanted to confirm your review, the Leadbelcher spray is awesome ! The paint is thin, it dries super quick and overall a great addition to the painting tools :) I tried it today and I'm now very confident for the ETL :D

I'm using it as a foundation for my Alpha Legion warband and it gives such a nice effect when washed with Drakenhof and glazed with Guilliman.

Looks like I'm going to have to try and find some!

Was the leadbelcher spray Lim Ed?

I don't think so, but GW's store manager say that this was their release with the shortest shell life of 2015 :p So, unless they see their sales drop, I'm pretty sure they're going to think about including it as a mainline product :p

Anyone seen the new FW vindicator laser destroyer?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Tanks/DEIMOS_VINDICATOR_LASER_DESTROYER.html

Rules here

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/D/Deimos_Vindicator_Laser_Destroyer.pdf

1) I think the model looks amazing.

2) If it remains stationary, the laser destroyer can be ordnance 3, at the slight risk of 1HP damage.

Probably excellent for bigger tables, but ordnance 3 AP1 lascannon for 130pts is sexy.

Anyone seen the new FW vindicator laser destroyer?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Tanks/DEIMOS_VINDICATOR_LASER_DESTROYER.html

Rules here

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/D/Deimos_Vindicator_Laser_Destroyer.pdf

1) I think the model looks amazing.

2) If it remains stationary, the laser destroyer can be ordnance 3, at the slight risk of 1HP damage.

Probably excellent for bigger tables, but ordnance 3 AP1 lascannon for 130pts is sexy.

Why am I only hearing about this now?! :P There goes more money out of my wallet :rolleyes: Edited by Kaldoth

Why am I only hearing about this now?! :tongue.: There goes more money out of my wallet :rolleyes:

As...it's only just gone up on preorder?

I am very tempted...

I would definitely want to run them in a pair for tournaments, with a Sicaran as a third choice.  But 79 bucks before tax and shipping... :(

On another note, by chance my fellow Warsmiths, can anyone point me to a resource that describes the physical characteristics of Iron Warriors?  I have a few helmetless marines that will be in my force and I'm trying to figure out what skin tone to give them, warp-exposure notwithstanding :P