++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

ATTENTION! For those that have expressed an interest in the project, don't forget to make your first vow within the next two days!

When you make your vows, don't forget to include your point values and "before" pictures :)

Also, remember that the Call of Chaos is starting today, and that the Gilgamesh Campaign is always happy to have new participants :)

gallery_77459_12304_328957.png

“Brothers of the Iron Fourth! Sons of Perturabo! The cowardly Imperial Fists are drawing recruits and shoring up their defenses, getting ready to weather the assault of that commander of the Black Legion.

Will we let the lily-livered lapdogs of the False Emperor cower behind their walls? Will we let our cousins in black get all the glory? NO! For we are the IVth Legion, the Iron Warriors! We shall tear down their walls, and burn their cities to the ground! We shall humiliate them, and teach them fear!

We shall make them pay!!!

IRON WITHIN!!!”

+ IRON WITHOUT +

Remember that the first vow deadline is at 18:00 GMT - which is to say in around 4 hours. Get your first pledge in before :wink:

Edited by Lord Thørn

My brothers I feel I have made an error.  My indecisiveness keeps making me hop around with what I want to play, but I keep forgetting that I have to actually enjoy painting them.  I did a test model last night for both of what I am thinking, which is our glorious IVth Legion (well the remnants of it in 40k, although with plastic MkIII armor supposedly coming...) or the blood-frothing madmen of those touched by the Blood God.  Man did I forget how enjoyable painting Iron Warriors is, everything just works and comes together.  On the contrary, I forgot how awful painting red is.

Edited by Wayniac

Built my Warsmith today: Dhur Gulak, Warsmith of Shatter Company, 41. Grand Battalion. What do my brother Warsmiths think?

med_gallery_78067_12433_327902.jpg

There are more pictures in my new thread here.

That looks awesome. I wish I wasn't garbage at doing conversions :sad.: I always found doing major conversion work to be something I am far too clumsy to accomplish; head or weapon swaps is like the extent of what I can do, and even then it tends to look amateurish.

I wanted to ask a question of my brothers in the IVth, seeing as I have erm been reeducated back at Medrengard and am renewed with vigour for our glorious legion: From an aesthetics perspective, what color ranges do you prefer when painting Iron Warriors armor? What I mean is, obviously it's silver with gold trim, but what spectrum do you prefer? Dark gunmetal armor, or something brighter? For the trim, I've seen brass, bronze and lighter gold used in equal amounts.

I'm thinking that I really like the dark gunmetal (maybe even going almost black for the lord, based on the description of "The Warsmith" in Storm of Iron, where his armor is almost black iron), but for the gold I'm thinking to go for a light brass color instead of the darker gold color you often see, to provider a starker contrast between dark metal armor, and also because brass tarnishes whereas gold does not, so that seems to fit the general look of Iron Warriors in 40k where the armor is tarnished.

Edited by Wayniac

• 3 weeks later...

Warpsmith Alarax of the Sons of Steel, reporting in.

Iron within, Iron without brothers!

Hello fellow legioneers I am completely new to the army, but I want to grow and improve from my somewhat tiny detachment of 500 points of iron warriors and 400 points of Vraksian renegades.

Warpsmith Alarax of the Sons of Steel, reporting in.

Iron within, Iron without brothers!

Hello fellow legioneers I am completely new to the army, but I want to grow and improve from my somewhat tiny detachment of 500 points of iron warriors and 400 points of Vraksian renegades.

Welcome to the Iron Without and to the wider Bolter and Chainsword :)

Technically, the "In competition" vowing deadline is over - however, we'd welcome any Out Of Competition (OOC) vows that you wish to make :) If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them here or to send me a PM :P

In the first weekend of October I attended the Iron Halo GT. I took my Iron Warriors using the standard Codex (and a pair of Knights). The event didn’t allow for the use of rules published after September 1st so wasn’t able to use anything from the Traitors Hate Book. Overall I had a great time, played some great games. Results wise I scored 9th in painting, 19th Overall, 54th on battle points (Out of a total of 80 players).

My list was 2 Sorcerers (One on a Bike). 2 squads of marines in Rhinos, A unit of 3 Spawn, 2 Knights, 1 Helblade, and 3 Obliterators.

gallery_63905_11231_245963.jpg

Anyway my Games.

My first game was against a Guard Player and fellow Frater (Duz_) It was a great game we played it to a nice gentlemanly draw. My army doesn’t deal with hords very well, but I was able to protect my knights well and if the game had ran to 8 turns or so I may have won eventualy. Anyway Duz_ has a post with his experiances of the event here (www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317654-a-mordian-march-to-glory/?p=4523259)

gallery_63905_11231_1457555.jpg
gallery_63905_11231_8217.jpg

The other games were against, Necrons, A Battle company, A second Guard List, Sisters of Battle and then A War Convocation (with Blood Angles Alies)

I'd love to have a knight, perhaps I'm gonna get one.

I wanted to asked how would this kind of list fair.

Hell forged pack:

HQ

Warpsmith 150 pt

Sigil of corruption, Mark of Tzeentch, gift of mutation, ichor blood.

Heavy Support

Mauler Fiend 145 pt

Two tentacles

Mauler Fiend 145 pt

Two tentacles

Forge fiend 200pt

Ectoplasma cannon, two hades autocannons

Despoiler 200pt

Havoc launcher

Hellbrute 120pt

Rocket launcher, force flail

1000pt

Its interesting to kow what the more experienced players will say about it. Thanks in advance.

Hell forged pack:

HQ

Warpsmith 150 pt

Sigil of corruption, Mark of Tzeentch, gift of mutation, ichor blood.

Heavy Support

Mauler Fiend 145 pt

Two tentacles

Mauler Fiend 145 pt

Two tentacles

Forge fiend 200pt

Ectoplasma cannon, two hades autocannons

Despoiler 200pt

Havoc launcher

Hellbrute 120pt

Rocket launcher, force flail

1000pt

There!

Hi Sushi,

I'm afraid your list, apart from it's fluffiness and great looks when fielded, is not that great in my humble opinion. I am a reasonably succesful Chaos Lord myself, having consistently gotten into the top 5 of the ranking with my Chaos Space Marines in local tournaments. I get that you want a daemon engine heavy list, but your question was how the army would fair. 

Let me start with this:
USING COMIC SANS FOR WRITING CHAOS LISTS IS A MORTAL SIN IN THE EYES OF ALL GODS,
AND WILL EARN YOU THE WRATH OF YOUR PEERS!!!!

FOR SHAME! :wink:

I, speaking on behalf of ALL Chaos Lords in the history of time, demand you write

ALL HAIL THE CHAOS GODS thrice in your next post to make amends.

Also, choosing black as the colour for your font on a black background is generally not a good idea. EDIT: but you and Thorn ninja'd me on that one.

Ahem. Here's some feedback.

-You have very few units overall - which makes it very hard to grab objectives, But there´s some wiggle room with the Maulerfiends.

-Having only vehicles make you very vulnerable to alpha strikes - especially in low points games.

-Your Warpsmith has no purpose other than to provide the Mechanical Warpcraft Formation rule. Therefore, his purpose is to stay alive. He isn't kitted out for combat, has no -and doesn't have access to a- delivery system, so better hide him away  - which would make the SIgil of Corruption and Mark of Tzeentch redundant. Also, he cannot take items from the Chaos Rewards list, so giving him a Sigil of Corruption is illegal anyway. Just consider him a tax for the formation and be done with it. 

-Maulerfiends with tentacles cost 135 points, not 145. I wouldn't give them: Maulerfiends are great against Vehicles and Small units or Characters, where their Magna Cutters are FAR better. The tentacles are only good against horde units, which you want to avoid with Maulerfiends as they bog you down. Plus, hordes generally can't hurt you anyway unless with grenades, so the reduction in attacks matters not. By contrast, Magma Cutters give you free instakill hits against T4 or lower units and against vehicles. Keep Maulerfiends bare bones for 125 points. 

-Generally I'm not a fan of Forgefiends, but in this list he makes sense. I would give him three ectoplaxsma cannons though, for that juicy AP2 goodness. 

-There's no unit called 'despoiler' other than Abaddon, who costs 265 points. But from the context I think you mean Defiler. Defilers have battle cannons, which are Ordnance weapons, which mean the rest of its weapons can only snap shoot, which makes giving him a Havoc Launcher pointless, as blast weapons cannot fire as snap shots. Better change the Reaper Cannons (which never hit or damage anything anyway for the same reason) into an extra power fist for an extra CC attack. 

-Helbrutes suck. Don't get them unless in one of the old Helbrute formations, and even then they suck only slightly less. They are completely overpriced and have only 2 attacks. Just take another Maulerfiend. EDIT: I was wrong, Helbrutes now have 4 attacks. But seeing as they still don't have a delivery system, they still suck.

If I may be so bold, I'd alter the list as follows. 

Hell forged pack:

HELFORGED WARPACK

• Warpsmith 100 pts
  • Mauler Fiend 125 pts
  • Mauler Fiend 125 pts
  • Mauler Fiend, Lasher Tendrils 135 pts
  • Forge fiend, three Ectoplasma cannon 200 pts 
  • Defiler, Extra Armour, Dirge Caster, 210 pts

Make the Defiler the Warpack Alpha and run the entire ensemble down one flank (using the denied flank tactic) to negate some shooting of your opponent. The Defiler hopefully negates Overwatch Fire against the Maulerfiends with his Dirge Caster. 

Now, you still have 105 points to spare on this list but cannot take any more units or formations for those points. Basically you're stuck with 6 units - which is the reason you shouldn't use this formation in a 1000 points game. As such, for siths and giggles, I´d buy the following extras for thos 105 points:

• Warpsmith: Aura of Dark Glory, Mark of Tzeentch, Burning Brand of Skalathrax and the Murder Sword  (making him killy-shooty up close against possible marines in drop pods, or biker units, and giving him a 4++ save) (+100 points)
  • Defiler: Give him an extra Combi Bolter to give his Battle Cannon some protection against those Weapon Destroyed results (+5 points) 

But again, this list wouldn't do too well. Alternatively, You could go for this  list (Same vehicle theme, more vehicles, far cooler to play with, much more efficient use of points, and much more competative IMO):

HELFORGED WARPACK

• Warpsmith 100 pts
  • Mauler Fiend 125 pts
  • Mauler Fiend 125 pts
  • Mauler Fiend, Lasher Tendrils 135 pts
  • Forge fiend, two Ectoplasma cannons 175 pts 

HELDRAKE TERROR PACK

• Heldrake, Baleflamer 170 pts
  • Heldrake, Baleflamer 170 pts

This will cost you the Defiler, but adds two flyers who are Much more reliable to take out any shooty threats. Plus, the defiler is too slow to keep up with the Maulers anyway and is a schizo unit. I'd make one of the bare bones Maulerfiends the Warpack Alpha: have it charge the enemy combat unit. It's much more survivable but when it does die, the other two get rage! 

Have fun with the army!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Argument: The siggil of corruption is legit, plus i do want to field the traitors hate formation as I have no access to the old black legion supplement to make vehicles alphas and plus to that all daemon engines ignore the effect of a penetrating hit on a two plus. You are right that the warp smith is not the best variant and I could replace him with a hell turkey, but I still need him for the formation to enact daemon forge every turn as well as keep my dudes alive and well and curse all the dangerous vehicles.

Sincerely Alarax

Argument:

1. he siggil of corruption is legit,

2. plus i do want to field the traitors hate formation as I have no access to the old black legion supplement to make vehicles alphas

3. and plus to that all daemon engines ignore the effect of a penetrating hit on a two plus.

4. You are right that the warp smith is not the best variant and I could replace him with a hell turkey, but I still need him for the formation to enact daemon forge every turn as well as keep my dudes alive and well and curse all the dangerous vehicles.

Sincerely Alarax

OK,... you're welcome for the effort I put into answering your question! I'm not trying to get into an argument with you, I'm trying to help you by giving you a constructive answer. :/ :thumbsup:

Responses to the issues you raised are numbered

1. No, you're wrong. Warpsmiths (page 94 of C:CSM) have no access to the Special Issue Wargear items from the Wargear list (page 91 of C:CSM), but only to the Ranged Weapons, Chaos Rewards (sans steeds) and Chaos Artifacts list. Sigil of Corruption is in the Special Issue Wargear list and thus the Warpsmith has no access to it. / unless  tthere´s been an FAQ that I´m not aware of. :thumbsup:

2. I'm not sure why you're bringing in the Black Legion supplement... You're trying to use the formation Hellforged Warpack from Traitor's Hate, right? One of that formation's special rules is Warpack Alpha - allowing you to nominate one vehicle in the formation to have a 4++ save and the rule that when he dies, the rest gets Hatred. 

3. You're absolutely right, giving Extra Armour to a vehicle with Daemonic Possession is redundant. Doh! :smile.: Better switch those 10 points for a Combi Bolter (Weapon Destroyed protection) and Warpflame Gargolyes)?

4. I'm not suggesting you should replace the Warpsmith with a Heldrake - as you said, a Warpsmith is mandatory for the Helforged Warpack Formation. I'm saying you could scrap the Defiler and add the Heldrake Terror Pack Formation to make a more efficient and more competitive army. BTW the curse vehicle thing sounds great, but in reality rarely does anything. Better just hang back or possibly follow and try to repair the Defiler.

EDIT: Also, you still haven't made amends for the use of Comic Sans. :wink: Better make up for that asap. :biggrin.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Sorry for being such a ludicrous fool and saying that you are wrong where you were right and yes it is true that a terror pack would be good, but I can buy it as an extra when I up my army to 1500 pt. Thanks!

P.S.: By the way the hell brute is an awesome defensive and intercept unit especially with the whip coils, he worked out for me every time I used him if it was assasinating the flyrant, killing a raven wing squad or destroying an onager dune crawler.

No problem! That second list I proposed is actually pretty interesting, and I'm going to try it out myself sometime! :D

Have the warpsmith hang back next to the Forgefiend, who I can make the Warlord thanks to the Warpack ALpha rule, and then keep repairing him :tu:

I'm struggling to make some kind of Iron Warriors list, although I've not gotten Traitor's Hate yet. Thinking of levying in a bunch of Renegades & Heretics to take up the grunt infantry work and use the Chaos Marine element to fill out on... <things>

I dunno, I'm just having a hard time capturing the feel of the Iron Warriors with the current selection of books =(

I played a couple of games with renegades and heretics and my advice is do they are awesome at holding the line where the number of the 4th aren't sufficient or pump out light firepower to suppress weaker units eg termagants plus they can bring spawn as troops and field up to ten psykers.

Although there are very significant drawback and the first one is the sever lack of heavy weapon teams as you can only take up to two of them per heavy support slot.

Second drawback is that they have random Ld and BS three has to be bought for ten points for any squad except for those who already have BS 3 or higher. Their demogogue devotions can are exceptionally useful in all cases: ignore the marauder option take a devotion in the glory of the gods take one! Especially the Bloody handed reaver as it allows you to take scions and carapace armour for all. And the other good one the the arch heretek magus because he gives a 6plus fnp and allows you to take deffy!