I always thought Dante was depicted with long raven hair like lord Elrond. I'm sure I've seen that depiction before.

Found it.

gallery_92746_14190_164880.jpg
Bloodquest- good call DBH!

I thought in “Dante” or devastation of ball he was depicted as long white hair? I could be wrong tho.

Okay I've found it. He does have white hair in DoB

Spoilers ahead as to why. Though I much prefer the raven haired Lord Elrond depictions.

Haley has aged him drastically, and he abstains from drinking blood, which gives him the older look. In Dante he is ashamed of his age, and thus wears the death mask to appear ageless and young. He does this to coincide with presenting as eternally youthful. When he does drink Blood Mephiston notes he is rejuvenated and has a youthful aura about him. He does have wrinkles under his eyes and around his smile line/dimples. It could be because he no longer drinks blood that his memories are also beginning to fade, so goes the theories.

SMALL SPOILER AHAED.

It was In “Dante”

“a distorted version of Dante was reflected in the burnished chest armour of the sanguinor. Dante knew it well. His golden hair had turned white as the sanguinor’s wing.”

If someone could spoiler tag that quote I’d appreciate it as I can’t figure out how to do it on mobile.

Edited by Silverson

Yeah but that changes. Also I still want him to have the Death Mask of Sanguinius, it's an iconic image for him. I am unconcerned about wings or no wings.

The Primaris Treatment doesn't reinvigorate people. The mode of Calgar actually makes him look older than the older model, so the age thing is normal. What does reinvigorate the Blood Angels is the drinking blood.

But I do agree with the idea of a helmeted head and a non-helmeted head.

The death mask thing is that he ALWAYS hid behind it. He never took it off in front of others. With Guilliman saying that he didn't have to hide behind it anymore it can easily be interpreted as that. Because I would still say, "true, but it does have ACTUAL combat abilities that help me win fights! It has more uses than hiding!" To not wear it at all would be incredibly stupid and against the character of the chapter. Unless you want to say that the Sanguinary Guard shouldn't wear them either?

Also, not all of the archangels always wore terminator armor. The Archangels are the first company so consist of all veterans.

Edited by Arkangilos

My understanding is that Dante wore the DMoS for all official purposes...even the ribbon cutting down at the grand opening of the Soap N’ Suds Land Raider wash. Anything and everything that was not private conversations with trusted senior officers.

He would absolutely still wear it in combat/while in command has its sight strikes fear into foes and stirs hope in all Imperial citizens.

RG just means that he does not need it as a “crown” in his office as King Warden Regent of the North Imperium Nihilus.

If they did give Dante the option of being helmetless would he still have white hair or would the primaries treatment reinvigorate him to have the youthfulness of a young 100year old marine and golden flowing locks?

I always thought Dante was depicted with long raven hair like lord Elrond. I'm sure I've seen that depiction before.

Found it.

gallery_92746_14190_164880.jpg

Latest official descriptions in both the new books and in the Dante warlords ebook that was done one christmas is he has old skin and white hair. he's old and looks it.

My understanding is that Dante wore the DMoS for all official purposes...even the ribbon cutting down at the grand opening of the Soap N’ Suds Land Raider wash. Anything and everything that was not private conversations with trusted senior officers.

He would absolutely still wear it in combat/while in command has its sight strikes fear into foes and stirs hope in all Imperial citizens.

RG just means that he does not need it as a “crown” in his office as King Warden Regent of the North Imperium Nihilus.

he actually means it as in "you don't need to bear the burdons of a primarch anymore, because there is a real one here, you are a hero in your own right and it should be attributed to you".

not word for word, but the words are there.

also at the open day, the guy behind all the lore and rules team said that the whole regent of imperium nihilus thing is more an honorific than anything with actual weight and meaning. which i personally felt was a bit of a kick in the teeth, but there we go.

Edited by Blindhamster

also at the open day, the guy behind all the lore and rules team said that the whole regent of imperium nihilus thing is more an honorific than anything with actual weight and meaning. which i personally felt was a bit of a kick in the teeth, but there we go.

Yeah that doesn't sit well with me either but explains why it wasn't mentioned anymore afterwards I guess.

Well maybe he's a perpetual and nobody knows yet. Tho even then it would be recommendable to not fall to any side of the twin curse for this long ... and I don't know if I'd like to see a perpetual falling to the black rage. :P

(not serious speculation of course)

But the book Dante literally says he stopped looking as old at the end.

Also it makes sense it's not an honorific. The whole thing behind IN is that there is no real astronomica and all that Jazz and they are cut off. Travel would be incredibly difficult and control nearly impossible. There's only so much he can do.

Edited by Arkangilos

I much prefer the idea that BA (as an edge case of all Astartes) are functionally immortal, they will never die of natural causes.

...and so every single BA since their inception has died in unnatural ways, primarily via accidents ( :cuss happens), in combat, and/or by eventually falling to the Black Rage.

Dante is the most powerful BA to have ever lived* because he has managed to stave off the illest effects of both the Red Thirst and Black Rage through willpower and dedication for over 1500 years.

*Sagniuinius doesn't count

I much prefer the idea that BA (as an edge case of all Astartes) are functionally immortal, they will never die of natural causes.

...and so every single BA since their inception has died in unnatural ways, primarily via accidents ( :cuss happens), in combat, and/or by eventually falling to the Black Rage.

Dante is the most powerful BA to have ever lived* because he has managed to stave off the illest effects of both the Red Thirst and Black Rage through willpower and dedication for over 1500 years.

*Sagniuinius doesn't count

I agree with all that except functionally immortal. It wouldn't say BA have longer lifespans due to genes if that was the case. If they were then they would actually have a shorter life space because of the following:

* they are more likely to conduct full blown assaults resulting in more casualties

* they are more likely to die from the results of the Black Rage (99.99% mortality with Lemartes being the exception that was spared).

* they are more likely to die from the results of the thirst (making them lose control and make bad decisions for blood)

* look at their history. Their chapter has been nearly wiped out more than the Ultramarines, who have a shorter "life span" than them.

If they can't die of age then their lifespan would be much, much shorter as a result of their flaw rather than longer, and there would be other chapter masters the same age as Dante.

However, I do think the only reason Dante is "aged" like he is is because he hasn't once given in since that one, most tragic incident.

Edited by Arkangilos

he actually means it as in "you don't need to bear the burdons of a primarch anymore, because there is a real one here, you are a hero in your own right and it should be attributed to you".

I didnt get that at first reading, but I'll go back and have another go. 

not word for word, but the words are there.

Dante was already there, really. Other chapter masters have ceded command to him for a long time, and as we see inDoB, he essentially has command of a Legion. The title really is just a promotion/recognition for the job he was doing anyway. 

Planning to play my first game in over a year.

My usual opponent has finally agreed to start houseruling stuff for BA so that it makes our games more fun and competitive. So far we tweaked Forlorn Fury to allow usage with Rhinos and Razorbacks and brought the JP tactic back down to the original 1CP cost. We'll play the game and see what other things we can do to make the BA more mobile which I think will make them a greater threat and lead to better games.

Wish me luck!